Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Milltown. Around Patrick Doyle road.

All supposition of course.

You beat me to it. I think this is the only location there can really be a tunnel portal.

a) Today it has been confirmed that there is to be shared running between Metrolink and Luas between Sandyford and an unspecified point further north. The frequency will be very heavy on this stretch. The alignment between Milltown and Charlemont has very little empty space alongside it to facilitate a tunnel portal. So you would have to CPO some of the most expensive real estate in the country and risk legal challenge and delay.
    b) The stretch between Milltown and Charlemont has several level crossings which are not consistent with very heavy running. Less of a problem south of Milltown and stations are also further apart there too. If you want to maximise capacity it is better to split the running further south.
    c) There is unused green area south of Patrick Doyle Road. The metrolink line would need a parallel (lower bridge*) across the Dodder and there would then be a tunnel portal on the north bank. This would only mean CPOing two houses one of which has institutional use I think.
    I've done this out in an image here, also attached. 

There are then two options if the tunnel portal is at Milltown.
    1) Shadow the green line as far as OCS with maybe two stops along the way. This would be very fast but to some extent would duplicate Luas cross city.
    2) Send the line west with maybe stops at Rathmines, Christchurch before heading NE to follow the original MN route. This would add time but would pick up a new catchment entirely.
    *I would propose to call it the Garret FitzGerald Bridge, in honour of the local man who correctly worked out 20 years ago that the Luas needed to go underground.

attachment.php?attachmentid=441949

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cojamocork

I'm very concerned how much the southern section would undermine the Luas Cross City, essentially cutting in into Sandyford to Bride's Glen and Charlemont to Broombrige and a potential duplication along the way. Would it make more sense to divert south of Charlemont towards Ballsbridge area and under the Stillorgan road, via UCD and connecting with existing Luas Green Line at Sandyford. This would open up access to a v busy artery of the city, open up UCD and avoid duplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

cojamocork wrote: »
    I'm very concerned how much the southern section would undermine the Luas Cross City, essentially cutting in into Sandyford to Bride's Glen and Charlemont to Broombrige and a potential duplication along the way. Would it make more sense to divert south of Charlemont towards Ballsbridge area and under the Stillorgan road, via UCD and connecting with existing Luas Green Line at Sandyford. This would open up access to a v busy artery of the city, open up UCD and avoid duplication.
    Would cost billions extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Bray Head wrote: »
    You beat me to it. I think this is the only location there can really be a tunnel portal.

a) Today it has been confirmed that there is to be shared running between Metrolink and Luas between Sandyford and an unspecified point further north. The frequency will be very heavy on this stretch. The alignment between Milltown and Charlemont has very little empty space alongside it to facilitate a tunnel portal. So you would have to CPO some of the most expensive real estate in the country and risk legal challenge and delay.
    b) The stretch between Milltown and Charlemont has several level crossings which are not consistent with very heavy running. Less of a problem south of Milltown and stations are also further apart there too. If you want to maximise capacity it is better to split the running further south.
    c) There is unused green area south of Patrick Doyle Road. The metrolink line would need a parallel (lower bridge*) across the Dodder and there would then be a tunnel portal on the north bank. This would only mean CPOing two houses one of which has institutional use I think.
    I've done this out in an image here, also attached. 

There are then two options if the tunnel portal is at Milltown.
    1) Shadow the green line as far as OCS with maybe two stops along the way. This would be very fast but to some extent would duplicate Luas cross city.
    2) Send the line west with maybe stops at Rathmines, Christchurch before heading NE to follow the original MN route. This would add time but would pick up a new catchment entirely.
    *I would propose to call it the Garret FitzGerald Bridge, in honour of the local man who correctly worked out 20 years ago that the Luas needed to go underground.

attachment.php?attachmentid=441949

I know tunneling with a TBM is expensive. Having tunneled parallel to the existing Green Line as far as Milltown purely to enable the Metro to run up on to the existing track for the last 2.5 kilometres out to Sandyford, what would that saving be vs bearing southeast from SSG(by tunnel) towards Donnybrook?(where there are many green spaces for station box construction). From there, you head south to UCD(a trip generator?), and then on down to Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Metro whateveritscalled without DART underground makes no sense, it's just yet another isolated line and a new type of public transport that links to random things. We can call it integrated all we want but it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So, if there is going to be a metro it is clear that it can only now interchange with DART at Connolly Station, Tara Street Station or Pearse Station.

And Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

It was mentioned. Several times.

Unfortunately, being outside Ireland, I haven't had a chance to read any of the speeches or to look at a video of the presentation in Sligo. I'm basing my understanding of this plan on what has been reported in the mainstream media.

To date, I've seen only that the metro is planned. I haven't seen any mention of the DART Underground project being included in this capital investment plan. It may have been mentioned in the presentation of this plan, and I've currently no reason to doubt what you say, but has it been included? From my reading, it hasn't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

salmocab wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how deep a tbm gets from the surface in the first say 100 mts. I presume they dig a trench and drop it in?
    That's what they did with the Port Tunnel. They dug a big hole (53m diam x 30m deep) at the football field in Whitehall and dropped them in.

DublinPortTunnel-Pic3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

hmmm wrote: »
    Metro whateveritscalled without DART underground makes no sense, it's just yet another isolated line and a new type of public transport that links to random things. We can call it integrated all we want but it isn't.

Linking north Dublin, the airport, the city centre and Sandyford with a fast, high capacity service makes a huge amount of sense I would think, independent of anything else.

Unfortunately, being outside Ireland, I haven't had a chance to read any of the speeches or to look at a video of the presentation in Sligo. I'm basing my understanding of this plan on what has been reported in the mainstream media.

To date, I've seen only that the metro is planned. I haven't seen any mention of the DART Underground project being included in this capital investment plan. It may have been mentioned in the presentation of this plan, and I've currently no reason to doubt what you say, but has it been included? From my reading, it hasn't been.
    It was in the documentation. I understand if you've not had a chance to read it. I've barely skimmed it.

• Advertisement

In isolated except for the Green line to Broombridge and Bride's Glen/Bray, the Red line and a short walk to Tara St

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Montpelier Hill

Rather than the metro terminate at Sandyford, how about it continues on the old Harcourt Street alignment alongside the race course terminating at Carrickmines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And Drumcondra.

Yes, absolutely, my mistake for the omission.

That doesn't seem to be what is planned, under this new proposal, but you are entirely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

fionnsci wrote: »
    Linking north Dublin, the airport, the city centre and Sandyford with a fast, high capacity service makes a huge amount of sense I would think, independent of anything else.
    Without the East West connections it is just a way for southsiders to get to and from the airport. DART underground is what turns this into a piece of national infrastructure, which also facilitates the enormous populations now in West Dublin and surrounding commuter towns.

Without the East West connections it is just a way for southsiders to get to and from the airport. DART underground is what turns this into a piece of national infrastructure, which also facilitates the enormous populations now in West Dublin and surrounding commuter towns.

Without the East West connections it is just a way for northsiders to get to and from coppers .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A quick question. Has Luas cross city as built affected the building of the original MN plan? Many moons ago on this thread it was suggested that unless certain measures were taken MN could not be built as planned unless things such as station boxes were built into luas cross city or BXD as its called. Basically a case of cross city having to be rebuilt if measures weren't included.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    A quick question. Has Luas cross city as built affected the building of the original MN plan? Many moons ago on this thread it was suggested that unless certain measures were taken MN could not be built as planned unless things such as station boxes were built into luas cross city or BXD as its called. Basically a case of cross city having to be rebuilt if measures weren't included.

All things can be overcome. It just might be a hell of a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And Drumcondra.
    It looks it will be at Tara Street and Drumcondra.
    If DU was built that would be two intwrchanges on the same line

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

a) Today it has been confirmed that there is to be shared running between Metrolink and Luas between Sandyford and an unspecified point further north.

Where was this confirmed? Because we've all been presuming it'll be Luas from Sandyford to Bride's Glen (and eventually onto Bray) only, there won't be any Luas trams between Sandyford and wherever the Metro Link tunnel surfaces. I don't think we'll see any shared running, but if you've seen this confirmed somewhere, could you share?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Where was this confirmed? Because we've all been presuming it'll be Luas from Sandyford to Bride's Glen (and eventually onto Bray) only, there won't be any Luas trams between Sandyford and wherever the Metro Link tunnel surfaces. I don't think we'll see any shared running, but if you've seen this confirmed somewhere, could you share?

This is what the Capital Plan says:
    a light rail system from Swords, via Dublin Airport to Dublin’s south city centre (operating in tunnel under the city centre) and onwards to Sandyford using the existing LUAS Green Line to ensure that growth along this corridor can be accommodated. This will provide Dublin with a high capacity, high frequency cross-city rail corridor, serving critical destinations such as Swords, Dublin Airport, Dublin City University, Ballymun, the Mater Hospital and existing destinations along the LUAS Green Line to Sandyford. Metro Link will provide faster reliable journey times to and from these key destinations while offering interchange with other rail, DART Expansion, light rail and bus services.
    To me this inevitably means shared running between Metro Link and the Luas. As I said in my post you cannot really have high-capacity, high-frequency on the stretch north of Milltown due to the level crossings and proximity of stations. Also, the options for a tunnel portal are very restricted.

In the mid-2030s the current Luas Green line would be something like this
    Bray=>Sandyford: Luas only
    Sandyford=>[some point between Milltown and Charlemont]=>Luas and Metro Link shared running
    [some point between Milltown and Charlemont]=>Finglas: Luas only

I am sceptical that Metro will ever go further south than Sandyford. The alignment is too twisty and interacts too often with traffic to support high-frequency running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Doubling the LUAS green line with the Metro seems like a bit of a waste. I get that it would be more expensive to go a new route, but surely it would have a greater impact on congestion and could allow for some specific high rise developments elsewhere? There's a substantial gap in rail transport on the south side (if you must have it there) through Harolds Cross/Terenure/Rathfarnham.

Achasanai wrote: »
    Doubling the LUAS green line with the Metro seems like a bit of a waste. I get that it would be more expensive to go a new route, but surely it would have a greater impact on congestion and could allow for some specific high rise developments elsewhere? There's a substantial gap in rail transport on the south side (if you must have it there) through Harolds Cross/Terenure/Rathfarnham.
    The alignment between Milltown and Sandyford is under-utilised at the moment. This is because the northern and southern ends of the Green line are limited by level crossings, sharing with traffic, twists in the alignment, etc. This reduces throughput and means the Milltown to Sandyford section is under capacity, even if the rest of it isn't.

So shared running between Luas and Metrolink on this stretch is a sensible way to best utilise existing capacity.

Granted there is a SW corridor (Harold's X, Terenure and out to Knocklyon) that is currently very badly served by PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

There will be no shared running between Luas and Metro on the Green Line.

Page 148 of the submissions to the public consultation for the Transport Strategy for the Greater Dublin Area 2016-2035, TII makes a submission, and states:

"TII advise that service patterns consisting of Metro running from Bray to Swords and Luas Green
    Line running from Ranelagh to Finglas to be given detailed consideration"

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Consultation_Submissions_Report_1.pdf

Obviously we now know that Metro won't run all the way to Bray, but it looks like the Charlemont-Sandyford section will be exclusively for Metro, north of Charlemont for Luas and south of Sandyford for Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

The alignment between Milltown and Sandyford is under-utilised at the moment. This is because the northern and southern ends of the Green line are limited by level crossings, sharing with traffic, twists in the alignment, etc. This reduces throughput and means the Milltown to Sandyford section is under capacity, even if the rest of it isn't.

I'm probably not understanding this right, but that section would be overground (for the Metro), right? Would they not have to fix all those things to make the Metro and Luas run to capacity?

Or will the Metro be underground all the way to Sandyford?

Either way, and again I get that it would increase the budget exponentially, developing some sort of dedicated public transport network through Harolds Cross/Terenure/Rathfarnham would surely have similar levels of usage as the Green Line, as well as some green areas that could be developed as high density residential areas.

edit: just read lateconnection's post. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

As I said in my post you cannot really have high-capacity, high-frequency on the stretch north of Milltown due to the level crossings and proximity of stations. Also, the options for a tunnel portal are very restricted.

I take your point about the tunnel options, but the level crossing is an easy fix by dipping the road at Beechwood under the line (or raising the line).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There will be no shared running between the Metro and the Luas. The two stubs at either end will become lines in their own right with planned extensions to Finglas and Bray. The net result will be two busy tram services at either end with the southern part feeding into a high capacity rapid transit system.

The Luas Green Line in its current setup is totally insufficient. What's about to happen is what should've happened day 1, so thankfully it seems to be progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There will be no shared running between Luas and Metro on the Green Line.

Page 148 of the submissions to the public consultation for the Transport Strategy for the Greater Dublin Area 2016-2035, TII makes a submission, and states:

"TII advise that service patterns consisting of Metro running from Bray to Swords and Luas Green
    Line running from Ranelagh to Finglas to be given detailed consideration"

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Consultation_Submissions_Report_1.pdf

Obviously we now know that Metro won't run all the way to Bray, but it looks like the Charlemont-Sandyford section will be exclusively for Metro, north of Charlemont for Luas and south of Sandyford for Luas.

So two changes if going from Bray to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

lawred2 wrote: »

One change surely? Metro will go straight from Sandyford to the airport

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lawred2 wrote: »

Change at Sandyford. Where is the second?

If Bray to Maynooth is the new route for Dart from Bray, you could change at Drumcondra (assuming that Metroling (formerly MN) has a stop there. Of course you would have to wait for Dart Underground to be built, by which time you might have grown very old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Change at Sandyford. Where is the second?

If Bray to Maynooth is the new route for Dart from Bray, you could change at Drumcondra (assuming that Metroling (formerly MN) has a stop there. Of course you would have to wait for Dart Underground to be built, by which time you might have grown very old.

Then two changes for Bray to town? It's one or the other

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement