Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

lawred2 wrote: »
    How many more plans does this metro need?

Enough to kick it down the road to the next recession so it can be cancelled.

Even the way they announced it in a Friday so it's forgotten about by Monday.

Apart from rural motorways, farmers grants and huge GAA stadiums in villages, nothing will be built.

Vadakar is a Tony Blair type, who only sees Ireland as a stepping stone to some globalist QUANGO. He'll have long left Ireland before 2027.

And you'll all exicted and the Metro Xpress rebranding that won't get built either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    If it emerged(lifted in/out) of a big hole in Iveagh Gardens, how would they cut and cover down to Charlemont? The south side of Hatch Street has newly built office blocks on it. :confused:

Hmmm, are you secretly working for Jacobs or Idom and trying to get me to design the metro for you on the sly? I'm on to you...

Years ago (depressing I know) I remember a conversation with someone in the know who mentioned that the tunnel portal may actually be in Ranelagh near the current Beechwood station, and that was why there is a level crossing and the old bridge over Beechwood Avenue wasn't reconstructed. So the first underground stop would be in Charlemont, but the actual tunnel would run to Beechwood.

Am I right in saying that our new Metrolink (hope Manchester don't mind the name appropriation) is basically the plan from Platform for Change again?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Hmmm, are you secretly working for Jacobs or Idom and trying to get me to design the metro for you on the sly? I'm on to you...

Years ago (depressing I know) I remember a conversation with someone in the know who mentioned that the tunnel portal may actually be in Ranelagh near the current Beechwood station, and that was why there is a level crossing and the old bridge over Beechwood Avenue wasn't reconstructed. So the first underground stop would be in Charlemont, but the actual tunnel would run to Beechwood.

Am I right in saying that our new Metrolink (hope Manchester don't mind the name appropriation) is basically the plan from Platform for Change again?

Nah!...I'm a retired old codger who used to work on aeroplanes, but I have an interest in the built environment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well it was always proposed that 'Metro South' would connect with Luas in the vincity of the old 'Irish Nationwide'/PJ Caroll's building, thence the object that was raised last year about the proposals for the site:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/transport-bodies-fear-new-dublin-6-offices-may-hamper-luas-1.3042842

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they need to link this to the dart, even if just by underground tunnel and travelators. At least it would then hook up with dart and potentially save a lot of money by bringing not having to bring DU up to SSG if they can keep it closer to the liffey... could save on tunnelling cost, assuming they could make the curve work...

I dont see the need for more than one stop in the college green and OCS area, link this with an underground pedestrian tunnel with travelator connecting dart and OCS with metro...

See I have said this for years, I dont see how they can get off the hook this time, M50 is at capacity. They dont have a choice at this stage and things will get worse, once there is no recession, they wont be able to get off the hook, now lets hope a TBM is in the ground if / when the next recession hits!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Minor quibble, but don't like the new name.

Plain old "Metro" is much nicer, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Minor quibble, but don't like the new name.

Plain old "Metro" is much nicer, imo.

They will change the name again when the line is repackaged for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fionnsci wrote: »
    The 4 "new lines" were Lucan, Finglas, Bray and Poolbeg. I read it in one of the news reports this morning.

So one new line and 3 extensions to existing..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they need to link this to the dart

Well going by this map, and the general chatter, it seems Metro will route east of O'Connell St serving SSGE and Tara, rather than SSGW and OCB as per the old Metro North.

DWKj8LCWkAAhs3N.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well going by this map, and the general chatter, it seems Metro will route east of O'Connell St serving SSGE and Tara, rather than SSGW and OCB as per the old Metro North.

It'll serve noone but politicians seeking a jump in the polls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Can I ask the mods if they could split the useless political chat off into its own thread and leave this one for genuine, bonafide technical discussions about actual confirmed details?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,983 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Why announce a plan for the next 24 years that is not agreed between the parties, when no party will be in power for that time. This means the opposing party when they get in can overturn or amend the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If the long term aim of the Green Line Luas was to convert it into a Metro system then I believe it should have been built to a similar spec to the Manchester Metrolink or the Dusseldorf Stradtbahn as I don't think the low platforms on the Luas would be suited towards a high capacity rapid transport system as low platforms mean the bogey alignment would have to be similar to Luas trams meaning the seating arrangement would have to be similar.

I would prefer trains with seats going vertically across for a Metro system like most European systems with more standing room than seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DWKj8LCWkAAhs3N.jpg:large

That's a familiar "so-called route". Where's Strassenwolf with the contrition?

Heading south from SSG east, is Earlsfort Terrace(a straight wide street) a possible location for cut and cover, and coming up to street level? :)

Heading south from SSG east, is Earlsfort Terrace(a straight wide street) a possible location for cut and cover, and coming up to street level? :)

When I posted this route last summer there was little in the way of consideration of a portal being given. We were only concerned with station scoring and potential.

I've always believed that the portal would be way further south as people have said at Beechwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I've not heard a mention of the northwood stop..just talks about swords, balymun DCU? Do you think it has been dropped?
    Cheers
    S

I don't think it's dropped. I think there is a slight chance they might move it west to the other side of the Ballymun Road - if it is underground the excavation for an underground station might be easier there, as there is more space. I think we need to wait 3 or 4 weeks for the consultation document with the EPR to be published.

When I posted this route last summer there was little in the way of consideration of a portal being given. We were only concerned with station scoring and potential.

I've always believed that the portal would be way further south as people have said at Beechwood.

Dropping myself on to Dunville Avenue, on Google Streetview, and looking up and down that nice straight stretch of line, it does not appear to my (untrained) eye that there could be enough room for four lines (the two into the tunnel, and then the Green Line tracks) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Anyone any idea how deep a tbm gets from the surface in the first say 100 mts. I presume they dig a trench and drop it in? I’m really wondering if the area behind the old Irish permanent or whatever it was beside charlemont would have enough room where all the shed are out the back or if it’s coming from the other side if it’s enough to come up from below the canal or am I talking nonsense? What sort of depth would it be at and do they take the tbm out after or just go past where they want it to and abandon it? (Just to be clear I know it doesn’t just pop out in a car park and it takes a box being sunk down but I’m interested in the mechanics of how)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

If the "Metro Link" is going to run on (some of) the Luas Green Line alignment what does this mean for the Luas on this section? I assume they are not going to share.

Dropping myself on to Dunville Avenue, on Google Streetview, and looking up and down that nice straight stretch of line, it does not appear to my (untrained) eye that there could be enough room for four lines (the two into the tunnel, and then the Green Line tracks) :confused:

I would be too cos that's not where I meant at all. Please hold...

:)

Milltown. Around Patrick Doyle road.

All supposition of course.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD:

Metro Link was announced today as a revised version of the New Metro North project.

The full details will be published this quarter with routes, alignments etc.

The project was only announced today. No further discussion of when/if it'll be cancelled, or how it'll be kicked down the road. It's 6 hours since the project was committed to and a full funding schedule was published. I think we can do without the cynical comments for the moment.

Discussion of Metrolink only. Political issues elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

I don't think contrition would be appropriate.

Until today, we were all under the impression that the Dart underground project had been merely deferred, but would be built at some stage. Thus, the original plan of a link between DART and metro at St. Stephen's Green (or, as I would have preferred, at a pedestrianized College Green) was still very much on the table. In other words, a link further west than the current DART line.

We now know, as of today, that the DART Underground project has been officially binned, sadly, by not being included in this plan. So, if there is going to be a metro it is clear that it can only now interchange with DART at Connolly Station, Tara Street Station or Pearse Station.

None of this was known to most of us, including me, on the board. We were working from the official position that the cross-city DART line would, at some stage, go ahead. It appears it now won't, at least before 2040.

There is thus no reason to be contrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

We now know, as of today, that the DART Underground project has been officially binned, sadly, by not being included in this plan. So, if there is going to be a metro it is clear that it can only now interchange with DART at Connolly Station, Tara Street Station or Pearse Station.

I'm not sure that's my reading of the situation. I think we are doing the classic half ass it. Much like the roundabouts on the M50 half the capacity with but most of the destinations. Only this time it won't cost us twice as much to fix in the long term

marno21 wrote: »
    MOD:

Metro Link was announced today as a revised version of the New Metro North project.

The full details will be published this quarter with routes, alignments etc.

The project was only announced today. No further discussion of when/if it'll be cancelled, or how it'll be kicked down the road. It's 6 hours since the project was committed to and a full funding schedule was published. I think we can do without the cynical comments for the moment.

Discussion of Metrolink only. Political issues elsewhere

History has proven this wrong in the past and it's only right people are cynical. At the end of the day - by their own words - Dublin will have NOTHING until 2027. That's optimistic too.

People on here are fully justified in being deeply cynical. Detailed plans and ring fenced funding are completely arbitrary concepts in this country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

History has proven this wrong in the past and it's only right people are cynical. At the end of the day - by their own words - Dublin will have NOTHING until 2027. That's optimistic too.

People on here are fully justified in being deeply cynical. Detailed plans and ring fenced funding are completely arbitrary concepts in this country.
    Cynicism is justified when a project is deferred. The project was announced and funding was allocated today.

Feel free to get cynical when the project is deferred. Today is the last day to be cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

If there's no mention of it in a major public relations exercise, like today's, you can take it that it has been binned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

If there's no mention of it in a major public relations exercise, like today's, you can take it that it has been binned.

It was mentioned. Several times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement