Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Gaoth Lag wrote: »
    Where was that snow that was predicted for Monday?

it arrived in liquid form called rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

irishgeo wrote: »
    it arrived in liquid form called rain.

Not according to the METAR, it arrived as sleet and transitioned to snow at 1am, however I'm not sure there was any accumulations and there's no traffic at that hour anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Gaoth Lag

I want evidence of that snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You can want all you like, but you won't get it demanding it like that!

Why so rude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

calm down! its a bit of snow, no need to get so worked up about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Shn99 wrote: »
    calm down! its a bit of snow, no need to get so worked up about it!

Tell that to the airport ops team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Get the buckets in the ground and start digging before someone else try's to object

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It’s Wednesday, any snow or sleet is long good by now.
    Any more random idiotic troll posts will see you getting a mid-term break from A&A

According to the Times today in this new NDP the new control tower at Dublin airport is included. How can they include something that is under construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

roadmaster wrote: »
    According to the Times today in this new NDP the new control tower at Dublin airport is included. How can they include something that is under construction?

Usually because the project overlaps the time window that the Plan covers. For example, Luas Cross City was part of the 2016-2021 Capital Investment Plan even though it was largely already completed, but there was still some expenditure to be made to finish it all off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What I can't understand is how any projects, which are either already under construction, or already gone out to tender and are not being paid for by the exchequer can be included in the plan.

I found the governments announcement of their support for the new runway, which already has permission, is fully funded, has phase 1 preparatory works finished and is only being held up by legal action, quite amusing.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Usually because the project overlaps the time window that the Plan covers. For example, Luas Cross City was part of the 2016-2021 Capital Investment Plan even though it was largely already completed, but there was still some expenditure to be made to finish it all off.

Its a bit of con what they are up to but, Looks good for them

What I can't understand is how any projects, which are either already under construction, or already gone out to tender and are not being paid for by the exchequer can be included in the plan.

I found the governments announcement of their support for the new runway, which already has permission, is fully funded, has phase 1 preparatory works finished and is only being held up by legal action, quite amusing.

Similar to my reply to MJohnston it seams to be lots of rehashed projects that have being announced before. It looks good in the press releases, but once they get built that is the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Its a bit of con what they are up to but, Looks good for them

Well State capital expenditure is accounted for in the year it is spent.

What happened in earlier years is that the expenditure was committed to over a certain number of years. That’s purely an announcement.

The key is when the money is actually spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The Tower and Runway are just PR spin from the Goverment, anybody would think they are funding it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Probably been mentioned a few times over the course of the thread, but when is the runway due to open?

When it does open, is the current runway being shut down for repairs?

Finally, when will the two runways operate at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned a few times over the course of the thread, but when is the runway due to open?

Both runways will be operational side by side with certain conditions, other posters can provide more information regarding those conditions. Has been ongoing nightly maintenance on the current runway for the past few months, possibly years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is it going to be one runway for take offs and one for landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The existing runway is being resurfaced nightly at the moment with all lighting, drainage, ducting etc also upgraded, due to be completed by April I think so there'll be no need for any future closures.

The new runway was originally due to open in 2020 though the recently thrown out legal challenge might push that back a bit. The tender for primary contract is still to be finalised so main works to start probably Q3 or Q4

Well roadbridges compound be left in place for the next contractor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

irishgeo wrote: »
    is it going to be one runway for take offs and one for landing.

Not always but mostly yes with the existing southerly runway being used for landings from the east and takeoffs from the West for noise reasons.

When both are being used for takeoff one of the runways will have a 15 degree turn shortly after takeoff to diverge from the parallel runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The existing runway is being resurfaced nightly at the moment with all lighting, drainage, ducting etc also upgraded, due to be completed by April I think so there'll be no need for any future closures.

This video has been linked here before, I think. https://youtu.be/AvnJZf586jk

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

ozzy jr wrote: »

Depends on traffic flows, when there’s a glut of departures, such as the 0600-0800 rush, one could be used exclusively for departures and the other for mixed ops. Heavies will want the northern runway for it’s greater length, but Ryanair will too because it’s closer to their stands. EI short haul will likely prefer existing runway for same reason. It will all depend on traffic patterns at the time but if the departure runway can be used for the odd arrival and vice versa like Heathrow then that bottleneck around T2/28/34 won’t be anywhere near as much of a pain in the arse

HTCOne wrote: »
    Depends on traffic flows, when there’s a glut of departures, such as the 0600-0800 rush, one could be used exclusively for departures and the other for mixed ops. Heavies will want the northern runway for it’s greater length, but Ryanair will too because it’s closer to their stands. EI short haul will likely prefer existing runway for same reason. It will all depend on traffic patterns at the time but if the departure runway can be used for the odd arrival and vice versa like Heathrow then that bottleneck around T2/28/34 won’t be anywhere near as much of a pain in the arse

Airlines won’t have a choice of runway. The runways will be used in accordance with the planning permission as per my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Airlines won’t have a choice of runway. The runways will be used in accordance with the planning permission as per my post above.

The planning permission sets out the hours of the day the runway can be used not who can use it and when, that's ATC's job. So long as the runway is operational and ATC are in a position to allow for example FR255 use 28R, then they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

"[/quote] that bottleneck around T2/28/34 won’t be anywhere near as much of a pain in the arse[/quote]"

We need more cul dear sacs.. especially any future west apron plans....the day they actually get things right will be the day were all snookered

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Bussywussy wrote: »
    We need more cul dear sacs.. especially any future west apron plans....the day they actually get things right will be the day were all snookered

I LOVE cul de sacs. Especially watching the poor controllers using a bloody CCTV camera to have to see into them :eek:

The planning permission sets out the hours of the day the runway can be used not who can use it and when, that's ATC's job. So long as the runway is operational and ATC are in a position to allow for example FR255 use 28R, then they will.

You’re wrong but if you can’t be bothered informing yourself enjoy your blissful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Fuel Pipeline (saw over on infrastructure)

http://travelbiz.ie/DAILYNEWS/JETFUEL11FEB18.pdf

While councilors are confused and concerned with conflict of interest over noise monitoring

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fingal-councillors-confused-concerned-over-14291090

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Bussywussy wrote: »

I LOVE cul de sacs. Especially watching the poor controllers using a bloody CCTV camera to have to see into them :eek:

Yup must be hard for them to judge over the 406 to 41x gates...

Regarding pipeline....they painted and were checking all the underground refuel manholes etc recently...can the aircraft be currently refuelled from these?? Surely they can pump from the storage farm at airport or can they,I understand there's none from Dublin port or wherever they're planning to put the pipe to the airport...

Advertisement