Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to live in America

Options

Comments

Usa Is an appalling country. Outside of the wealthy the country is a cesspool. Have you ever been to detroit. It's a post apocalyptic city. The American dream is a total lie. It exists for about 30% of rich white people. Large chunks of america are soulless dead , no hope cities/ghettos.

Detroit has been a bit of a dive for decades. That's well documented in movies. I've been to some lovely towns in the US. My ex lives in Salem, Oregon, and it's a gorgeous city.

The US has a lot of dodgy areas, but you can't judge the whole country by them. The US is a country of extremes. It's probably the most suitable sentence for describing the country. There really are some fantastic areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Large chunks of america are soulless dead , no hope cities/ghettos.

Charliebo313 on YouTube has great videos

https://youtu.be/DVxeW1WLWpY

I presume you mean large chunks of urban USA. This isn't unique to America. Large parts of almost every city in the world are abandoned, soulless, derelict and grim af.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I presume you mean large chunks of urban USA. This isn't unique to America. Large parts of almost every city in the world are abandoned, soulless, derelict and grim af.

US has more of these dumps than the rest of the world. I was appalled when I went to detroit. A major world city and it's like the zombie apocalypse has come and gone. Junkies and crime everywhere. I'd rather work in spar than work in detroit.

Have you ever been to skid row Los Angeles. Another hell hole where the American dream went to die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I am probably going to attract a lot of hate in this thread but after living and the states and coming back home you could not pay me to move back there. Ill detail my reasons. I lived in NJ and Minnesota so I got a good spread of the states from different states. I ll try give the pros and cons of living there.

Pro:
    Lots of different culture all over the country now I know a lot of people say America has no culture but you find areas of the major citys New York, Minneapolis have lots of areas with different cultures ok Minnesota not as much its mainly Norwegian, Swedish and they do hold onto their traditions and national dishes.

Lots of different work opportunity

Large country to move around if you dont like one part move across the country

Cheap petroil

Lots of different activity's to do

Cheap taxes

Cons:

Healthcare really sucks

Job market is not as good as you think its filled mostly with contract roles which means you have to buy your own health insurance which can cost from $300 to $1000 per month

Public Transport once you leave the big cities sucks.

People can seem nice but really they are pretty shallow and will back stab you if they think they can get ahead of you in life.

Public Safety big issue with violence and guns. Even NJ has tough gun laws but violent crime is a daily occurrence.

The food whist its varied and you get massive portions the food even the healthy stuff is very bad for you a lot include's GMO's and other nasty stuff that is not allowed in Europe.

No matter where you live state side you will have to deal with the treat of some kind of natural disaster. When we lived in Minnesota it was tornado's and blizzards, in NJ it was the Hurricane's and out west the earth quakes of forrest fires. We were driving along one day in Minnesota and seen in the distance a tornado we drove like hell to get away from it.

Buying a car you will really get ripped off by dealers I got a 2013 Toyota Carolla the price on the tag was $8999 but after the registration fees/taxes which go to the state, the warranty which they force you to buy if you want it on credit and the gap insurance the car came out to $14500 so wasn't a good deal after all.

We left as we were messed around a lot. Coming home and getting a job was the best thing ever. I can take days off now and get paid for them I never had that in the states. I did become a US citizen when I was there so I do hold an Irish and American passport. My misses is American we will not only go back for a visit to have fun.

If the op has questions Ill try my best to answer them

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote: »
    I am probably going to attract a lot of hate in this thread but after living and the states and coming back home you could not pay me to move back there.

We left as we were messed around a lot. Coming home and getting a job was the best thing ever. I can take days off now and get paid for them I never had that in the states. I did become a US citizen when I was there so I do hold an Irish and American passport. My misses is American we will not only go back for a visit to have fun.

If the op has questions Ill try my best to answer them

Couldn't agree more with you. The best thing we've got in this world is our Irish passport. We are blessed. The social problems in the US are insane. The amount of mental health issues is gargantuan and that's due to the lack of available healthcare and the poverty these people are living in.

I will say one thing though, and that is that the value of your degree is worth ten times in the US what it is here. Any professionals who go over there can earn a multiple amount of money than that they could earn here. The United States really values education and a degree and will reward you handsomely for it. And equally a lot of Americans are priced out of a degree. In ireland a degree is worth nothing anymore. That BA from tralee IT would cost a Yankee 100k minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Chrongen wrote: »
    I'll get all those in Spain, Italy and the Balkans, thank you very much.
    I won't have to deal with white-supremacist bible-thumpers and asshole cops demanding "respect".

Funny how you mention European countries which are noted for racism and aggressive policing.

Couldn't agree more with you. The best thing we've got in this world is our Irish passport. We are blessed. The social problems in the US are insane. The amount of mental health issues is gargantuan and that's due to the lack of available healthcare and the poverty these people are living in.

I will say one thing though, and that is that the value of your degree is worth ten times in the US what it is here. Any professionals who go over there can earn a multiple amount of money than that they could earn here. The United States really values education and a degree and will reward you handsomely for it. And equally a lot of Americans are priced out of a degree. In ireland a degree is worth nothing anymore. That BA from tralee IT would cost a Yankee 100k minimum.

I did earn more there than I did this side of the pond but for the work life balance Id give it up any day. Having time to yourself is key. One place that asked me to almost live at work in NYC go into work for 7am and home at 10pm. I almost laughed when the guy said we will do your laundry for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

US has more of these dumps than the rest of the world. I was appalled when I went to detroit. A major world city and it's like the zombie apocalypse has come and gone. Junkies and crime everywhere. I'd rather work in spar than work in detroit.

Have you ever been to skid row Los Angeles. Another hell hole where the American dream went to die

Does it though? If you were to combine the whole of Europe together to make 1 country could you say this to be true? More dumps than say the middle east and asia? I am pretty sure it doesn't. You are over exaggerating the problem.

I have covered about 31 of the US states and I have seen some right sh1tholes but it is not as bad as you are making out. I have been to the arsehole of nowhere USA to a lot of the Urban sprawls and the sh1tholes are not as big as you might think. Detroit fell apart because of the motor industry.

As for LA? Worst example you could use. You have some of the wealthiest people living in LA in fact the ghettos in LA take up a small % of the city.

But your opinion is based on whats 2 cities out of thousands?

• Advertisement

I dont have a degree and work in IT and earn quite a large salary. As permabear said techs and community colleges can get you educated in IT when in state for the same as they would back home. Once you are in the door and have experience that is where you make your money. Most companies in the IT sector also pay for you to get certified so you get a job get paid and then educate further within the role and move up or move on eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

TOss Sweep wrote: »

I dont have a degree and work in IT and earn quite a large salary. As permabear said techs and community colleges can get you educated in IT when in state for the same as they would back home. Once you are in the door and have experience that is where you make your money. Most companies in the IT sector also pay for you to get certified so you get a job get paid and then educate further within the role and move up or move on eventually.
    Yes, this is exactly what I did. Once you have the experience nobody cares about your degree in the IT world in the U S. A good skillset and the ability to continually upskill will get you the good money and good conditions.

Issue with community colleges in the states my wife went to one so I know from experince you can only get a Associates Degree from them, which is the same as a higher certificate from DIT etc. Once you want to move on to a bachelors they do have partnerships with University's but then the fees go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

jjbrien wrote: »

Issue with community colleges in the states my wife went to one so I know from experince you can only get a Associates Degree from them, which is the same as a higher certificate from DIT etc. Once you want to move on to a bachelors they do have partnerships with University's but then the fees go up.
    Yes but by that time if you are any good you are already with a company that pays the fees.

Yes but by that time if you are any good you are already with a company that pays the fees.

Exactly this. The Techs or Community college are good for getting your foot in the door. After that its on you to upskill and use the company to pay for it. Not come across a company in the IT industry here that is not willing to help you upskill.

To be fair, that's a common business practice outside of the US too. I've had two companies in Australia who paid firstly for my second Bachelor degree and then later for my MBA. I've had other companies (in Japan and China) who were very happy to send me off to get professional certificates or attend seminars with new financial management ideas.

Same again when I became a teacher in Asia, I had schools/universities who were content to suggest my upskilling in certain areas, and cover the majority of costs while still paying my salary, even though I wasn't teaching.

Companies investing in employees is an international concept.

To be fair, that's a common business practice outside of the US too. I've had two companies in Australia who paid firstly for my second Bachelor degree and then later for my MBA. I've had other companies (in Japan and China) who were very happy to send me off to get professional certificates or attend seminars with new financial management ideas.

Same again when I became a teacher in Asia, I had schools/universities who were content to suggest my upskilling in certain areas, and cover the majority of costs while still paying my salary, even though I wasn't teaching.

Companies investing in employees is an international concept.

I never said it wasn't though. Not sure why you think I did. I responded to someone who said you basically need degrees which I pointed out you don't necessarily need a degree.

I was making the point that if you get a free degree from trinity, you've saved six figures and are miles ahead of a large portion of the American population. Maybe Tralee it was a bad example.

I never said it wasn't though. Not sure why you think I did. I responded to someone who said you basically need degrees which I pointed out you don't necessarily need a degree.

Ahh... my bad. Misunderstood. Assumed you were being specific to the US as a way of showing how good the US is.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

So why are American students coming out of college with 6 figures debt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'll throw my probably very unpopular opinion in.
    24k in Euros is still an awful lot of money that you have or don't have.
    Personally, and don't get me wrong, I spent an awful lot of money for education too, I don't agree with education funded on debt. I believe that it is a state's responsibility to provide very affordable education that won't hang around people's necks for years. Simply because that should be one of the highest priorities of a state, an educated society is in the very best interest of a country. It creates tax money after all and reflected people (ideally) that raise reflected and well-educated kids.

Why is the US known for having 1.3 trillion dollars in student debt? This is an INSANE amount of money.
    I'm all for contributing towards an education but I don't think that tens of thousands is reasonable. If you find yourself struggling for whatever reason that will break your neck.
    The thought of starting out your career after leaving university with a lump of debt is painful really. This is the point where you need the money most.

Also wanna throw in that there are indeed some absolute money rackets in universities like the book industry. I personally know a few American students that gave me information in detail how books undergo minor changes every year to make them useless and having a lot of students buy new expensive books. Every single year. I've seen that in Europe too, no worries but the costs they are facing overseas are thick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The joys of choice. I agree with you that after security (Defence/police etc), the #1 priority of a government should be education. With a well-educated populace, a lot of the other problems ought to be minimised. It is a shame that the US (and, face it, most other governments) don't view it this way. However, the US situation is somewhat related to that of healthcare. We spend craploads of money per student (fifth highest in the world, after Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Norway, but our return on the investment seems to be rather limited.

However, debt is not mandatory. Some folks work their way through college. Some join the military (in my case, my child's college will be far cheaper, because I joined the military). There are ways to work within the system, still get a reasonable education, and not be paying for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Trinity does have a certain amount of recognition in the US. The brand is not up there with their own Ivy League or the Oxbridges. But the institution is known. And they do love their brands there!

That is somewhat true, but less so over the past decade or so. Particularly so in law where too many are getting churned out and finding out it isn't the licence to print money that it once was. But then again, nobody makes them do it. I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The joys of choice. I agree with you that after security (Defence/police etc), the #1 priority of a government should be education. With a well-educated populace, a lot of the other problems ought to be minimised. It is a shame that the US (and, face it, most other governments) don't view it this way. However, the US situation is somewhat related to that of healthcare. We spend craploads of money per student (fifth highest in the world, after Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Norway, but our return on the investment seems to be rather limited.
    Well, to pick a nit, the US is fifth highest in the OECD, not fifth highest in the world. To pick a slightly bigger nit, that comparison is for expenditure on secondary education, whereas most of the other posts in this thread are discussing the situation with respect to third-level education. On the figures for third-level education, the US is actually number 1 in the OECD. But note that the figures are not measuring government or public expenditure on education; they're measuring total expenditure.

And I'm not sure that it's fair to say that America's return on educational investment is limited. To some extent, this depends on what you're measuring. If you just think of the education system as a mechanism for producing workers for the economy, well, American workers are highly productive. If you take a broader perspective and talk about developing healthy, well-rounded, well-integrated adults and citizens, I guess that's harder to measure, but by most standards the US is a pretty successful and highly-functioning society. They're doing something right.

Of course, nowhere's perfect, and if you look for problems in the US you'll find some. And probably one of the problems that you'll find fairly early on in the US is growing inequality. The US is becoming a more unequal society. And, furthermore, this is becoming more strongly entrenched from generation to generation than used to be the case. It's harder, not easier, to "better yourself" by comparison with your parents than was the case a couple of generations ago.

The situation in this regard isn't necessarily worse in the US than in some other countries, but it's still a bigger problem, because the US's self-image and self-ideal is of a place where there is opportunity for all, hard work is rewarded, improvement is always possible, a country of earned rewards rather than inherited privilege, etc. So as this become less and less true, the US becomes more and more unhappy with itself about that.

And I think that colours the way people will look at education funding issues. A third of students graduate from college with no debt. Can I hazard a guess that that third come disproportionately from economically privileged backgrounds? Of the other two thirds, most have a relatively modest debt, but for some of them perhaps that was achieved by selecting a modest college, relative to the one they could have gained admittance to if debt were not a consideration. And of course some avoid debt because their parents, like you, had the foresight to join the military. But is it good for America that people should have to make such choices so that their children can be educated free of debt? (Not that I'm suggesting that this was your motivation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Taxation? Isn't the low corporate tax the reason we have so many US multinationals here?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Americans are WAY too tolerant of Big Government. The things they let their government get away with would not be tolerated in Europe. Any more.

Advertisement