Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to live in America

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Exactly. That was my point. It isn't random. If they are making house calls they have already predetermined it is a high risk case of fake marriage.

My wife was adopted from Colombia at a young age and even though she was born and raised by Americans since the age of 2 her passport shows her to be a Colombian national. All USCIS saw was an Irishman marrying a Colombian and we went through extra steps due to it.

But my point is unless you throw up those red flags they don't come knocking to check on you and its actually more rare than one would think. I know plenty of Non Nationals who have status here now marrying outside the US and not once have any of them gotten a home visit. Few extra interviews and more paperwork needed but no ICE knocking on the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I can definitely see a day, though, when tax regimes change, when the American multinationals that now form the backbone of the Irish economy are gone, and the Irish are trooping across the Atlantic once again.

No need to be smug about it, I think everyone, including yourself, would do anything to put food on the family's table if times are being really tough.
    If that means moving country or even continent to somewhere where it's easier at a certain time, so be it. Has always been, always will be like that.
    People go where the jobs are.

Same goes for Americans that hold a dual citizenship from a European country that travel to Europe and temporarily settle there for medical treatment. Or the students that pack up for good and move overseas to flee their student debts. It goes both ways and is a matter of taste and circumstances in the end.
    While I wouldn't like to live there, there are 10 others that would give their left arm for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Based on the few holidays i've had there, it just sets me on edge. I don't think i would ever want to live there

markodaly wrote: »
    It is interesting the overwhelming negativity people have about living in the US, especially when pretty much all of these comments come from people who never lived there but just take the headlines as fact in a way to make a judgement about the entire country of 340 million people.

It really boils down to who you meet while you're over there. I lived five months in New York living out of corporate apartments and frankly, the people I met were ignorant and proud to be so. Very professional but absolute ****s. Whereas I spent three months in Charlestown and the people I associated with were wonderful.

But if I had to judge the US by those two experiences, I wouldn't want to live there. But that's just me. I love cities, and American cities are too tense. I've heard the countryside/rural areas are lovely, but I've had enough of that from other countries.
    As someone who has been there half a dozen times, this is not the truth, it is a media perception born out of ignorance and stupidity. So, I will use the same logic to say that people who have the overwhelming views on the USA are born out of the same ignorance and stupidity.

It's true and it isn't true. It's a bloody big country with massive extremes all over. I think many Irish people think because they've traveled to France, they've seen a big country... They can't really comprehend how different one country can be depending on where you are.

I've lived in Russia, & China too. Similar issues there. Simply focusing on the media reports, they'd be awful places to live, but I loved my time in both.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, I can see a day when it's the Americans crossing the Atlantic looking for work and prosperity. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Joey, go read my post again, and do the maths.

Franz, my primary employer is the private sector. I’m also a military reservist which is where you may be confusing things. And annecdotal though it may be, the fact remains that I moved to the US and I improved my position, which is the topic of the thread, not the US sociological situation in general.

If you have 39 days in the private sector its extremely rare. Would be rare here too.
    No its not. I get 28 days vacation and 12 holidays.

If i chose to move jobs i would negotiate a similar package. I've lived in the US for nearly 30 years and I've never had just 10 vacation days.

We also get 16 hours of paid volunteer time. Oh, and can work from home as often as we like.

I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ah so we can't have an opinion on a place without having been there? Got it.
    Funny that coming from someone with opinions on plenty of things they've no experience of.

How do you know? I have lived in the USA actually.

Look if you want to comment about a place stating 'facts' like you are likely to get killed by trigger happy cops, or die on the streets from starvation, then be my guest. But those comments are just ignorant and stupid as they will apply to any would be Irish legal immigrant or their experience of such.

Similar comments about Ireland being a place of potato eating drunks is also ignorant, don't you think?

Similar comments about Africa being full of Ebola and Aids is also ignorant.

Ignorant and stupid comments are just that, ignorant and stupid. Be my guest if you want to make them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

How do you know? I have lived in the USA actually.

Look if you want to comment about a place stating 'facts' like you are likely to get killed by trigger happy cops, or die on the streets from starvation, then be my guest. But those comments are just ignorant and stupid as they will apply to any would be Irish legal immigrant or their experience of such.

Similar comments about Ireland being a place of potato eating drunks is also ignorant, don't you think?

Similar comments about Africa being full of Ebola and Aids is also ignorant.

Ignorant and stupid comments are just that, ignorant and stupid. Be my guest if you want to make them.
    I never stated any of those "facts".

It really boils down to who you meet while you're over there. I lived five months in New York living out of corporate apartments and frankly, the people I met were ignorant and proud to be so. Very professional but absolute ****s. Whereas I spent three months in Charlestown and the people I associated with were wonderful.

There is defiantly a bit of an edge to some cities alright. Not a dangerous edge but more a stress thing. I would not like to live in NY or LA for example. Just too stressful but there are lots of places I would live in.

America is a bit more dog eat dog, its more competitive than Ireland. This can be both a positive and a negative. Ireland is a nice place to live, generally life here is pretty easy going and stress free, but that has its draw backs too, like waiting on a trolley for 2 days for a bed or 10 years waiting for cataract treatments.

If all the countries in the world was the same, it would be a boring place.

I never stated any of those "facts".

You stated incorrectly that I had no experience of living in the states, when in 'fact' I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You stated incorrectly that I had no experience of living in the states, when in 'fact' I did.

What are you talking about? Read my post again, I said no such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't know, wouldn't the US have seen a huge uptick of Irish migrants during the recession in that case, instead of Canada, Australia and such?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

she wasn't quoting you?

Maybe its a generational thing. I well remember Ireland in the bad days of the 80's. It was a different world to now. Sure, Ireland has gotten much wealthier since then(of the back of American FDI) and the quality of life between the US and Ireland has narrowed a lot, some say Ireland might even be better but again it depends on the persons circumstances.

I also note that when people move to the Middle East, they never get the same criticism as someone who moved to America, as if then someone has a right to get on a soapbox and start ranting and raving like a lunatic about 'Evil America'. Its boring and tiresome as its been going on since the year 2000, change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Maybe its a generational thing. I well remember Ireland in the bad days of the 80's. It was a different world to now. Sure, Ireland has gotten much wealthier since then(of the back of American FDI) and the quality of life between the US and Ireland has narrowed a lot, some say Ireland might even be better but again it depends on the persons circumstances.

I also note that when people move to the Middle East, they never get the same criticism as someone who moved to America, as if then someone has a right to get on a soapbox and start ranting and raving like a lunatic about 'Evil America'. Its boring and tiresome as its been going on since the year 2000, change the record.[/quote]
    It's been going on longer than that. I remember it from the 80s. There were always the ones going on about Reagan etc while the politians in Ireland were robbing the country blind.

It's a fair point on the economy, but the US has rebounded while Australia and Canada have slowed down a bit - I don't have the detailed info on it but going anecdotally it seems that they remain more popular than the US, at least relative to their own sizes. That also could be in part down to immigration rules, though it would then stand that those same rules would make it less likely to see "the Irish trooping across the Atlantic once again."

• Advertisement

Indeed, but the impression I get (again, just anecdotally) is that the other two remain more popular destinations for Irish people moving abroad compared to Australia/Canada, despite the US economy being recovered.
    The immigration rules here are a mess, but sooner rather than later the Democrats will be in power again and helping to loosen them once more.
    Did it not get harder to migrate to the US from 2008 to 2016, though? I've not looked overly into it as the US hasn't interested me too much as a destination, but it seemed to be the feedback I saw from people applying etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When I was looking at moving over quite a few years back, it seemed impossible aside from winning the diversity lottery so I doubt you'll see Irish people flooding over. Ireland is also a full member of the EU single market, something most multinationals will be quite keen on exploiting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was years ago, end of the 2000's. But yes, you are correct. The Americans are by no means alone in this regard at the moment though.

Correct me if I am wrong but I inferred a slight degree of negativity when you mentioned the Democrats regaining power and loosening immigration restrictions.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

There is defiantly a bit of an edge to some cities alright. Not a dangerous edge but more a stress thing. I would not like to live in NY or LA for example. Just too stressful but there are lots of places I would live in.

America is a bit more dog eat dog, its more competitive than Ireland. This can be both a positive and a negative. Ireland is a nice place to live, generally life here is pretty easy going and stress free, but that has its draw backs too, like waiting on a trolley for 2 days for a bed or 10 years waiting for cataract treatments.

If all the countries in the world was the same, it would be a boring place.

TBF, I haven't lived much in Ireland within the last 10-15 years. I've spent most of my time in Asia, with extensive travel in Eastern Europe & Russia. I've been home just over 7 months and I'm enjoying it. Kinda.

Personally, I doubt I'll remain in Ireland much longer. I'm back to take care of my parents, but I got used to big cities (6-10mill), and I miss the convenience [being able to get a steak at 5am is rather nice, along with the variety of choice for dating). Likely I'll be back in Asia within the next two years.

Americans seem to take pride in this "dog eat dog" description, but I don't particularly enjoy that kind of attitude/environment. I've lived in Tokyo (same with Xian, Taipei, Beijing, etc) which didn't have such an attitude, was heaps of fun and none of the tenseness regarding violent crime which is very common in even small cities in the US.

The European anti-immigrant attitude is mostly towards those not of European heritage, and frankly, the Irish tend to get a great reaction from all the countries on the continent.

Whereas the US has a history of going isolationist and reserves the desire to turn to it when they're feeling "justified". I wouldn't be too quick to suggest that public opinion will swing towards going back to a more open policy of immigration. It makes good press for them to do so, but... There are a lot of Americans I know personally who are becoming much harsher in their conversations about immigrants. They're also getting very tired of the migrant nation bit. I suspect many Americans feel its time for America to become rather selfish until they start resolving some of their more serious issues both social and economic. And TBH, I'd be inclined to agree with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Americans seem to take pride in this "dog eat dog" description,

They really don't though. Depends on where you go or live. Or who you associate with.

Advertisement