Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to live in America

Options

Comments

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Sorry, I meant more the North and East coast. :D

The South is generally far more relaxed. Benefits of great bbq, moonshine, and plentiful "grass", I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Apparently the South is polite because the alternative is a duel. Or the modern equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Sorry, I meant more the North and East coast. :D

The South is generally far more relaxed. Benefits of great bbq, moonshine, and plentiful "grass", I presume.

I live in the Northeast in MA and I would disagree with you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

They are a country of 320 million people and have created 150,000 jobs here.

Ireland is a country of 4.5 million and Irish companies have created 80,000 jobs in the US, far more per capita.

There are two million workers in Ireland, 150,000 in US companies, or 7.5%.

I don't know why you keep insisting that Ireland will fall apart without US investment.

Apart for the tax argument, do you really not see any benefits for US companies here? Ireland offers a stable, safe place to work with a productive, motivated workforce.

With the hammering Ireland got during the recession, I thought it was remarkable how most of the country kept their heads down and got on with things. Ireland was on a cliff edge, yet there were no wide-spread panic on the streets. That is surely a positive to any business operating here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The H-1B thing is a bit more complicated than a simple R/D divide, for better or worse. Silicon Valley companies generally are in favour of tightening it up a little bit. HR.170, co-written by Issa and Lofgren, two Californian reps who agree on basically nothing, emerged last year with generally bi-partisan support.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/02/plan-finally-moving-to-overhaul-h-1b-visa-program/

Carl Guardino, CEO of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group, which represents major technology firms in Silicon Valley, said Issa’s objective to redefine H1-B dependent companies and call for higher wages is reasonable.

“That is a level playing field,” he said. “The importance of startups being able to get talent is a significant component because they’re already at a disadvantage.”

Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-San Jose, who helped write the bill, said the H-1B visa program allows the U.S. to fill critical needs, but acknowledged “deep and long-standing flaws” in the system.

“Every year, tens of thousands of H-1B visas are taken by outsourcing companies whose business models rely on paying foreign workers less,” Lofgren said in a statement. “In the IT sector, for example, these companies bring in H-1B workers at reduced wages to compete against American IT workers in companies and organizations across the country. When the work is outsourced, the American workers are laid off. In some cases, the American workers are even asked to train their replacements.”

Lofgren, a staunch supporter of immigrant rights who normally opposes Republican policies against foreigners coming to the U.S., said that while the bill would help prevent displacement of U.S. workers, much more needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's a fair point on the economy, but the US has rebounded while Australia and Canada have slowed down a bit - I don't have the detailed info on it but going anecdotally it seems that they remain more popular than the US, at least relative to their own sizes. That also could be in part down to immigration rules, though it would then stand that those same rules would make it less likely to see "the Irish trooping across the Atlantic once again."
    Australia and Canada are far easier to get into legally than the US.

That is a huge factor in Irish people going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Australia and Canada are far easier to get into legally than the US.

That is a huge factor in Irish people going there.
    And I don't see that changing in the next while, especially with the current administration in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yester wrote: »
    Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I'm pretty sure most democracies have these now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I'll get all those in Spain, Italy and the Balkans, thank you very much.
    I won't have to deal with white-supremacist bible-thumpers and asshole cops demanding "respect".

To be fair when you're Irish you also get a tonne of leeway from a lot of police. I remember being on a J1 in Chicago about 11-12 years back, we were in a rough largely black/Hispanic part of the city, had a house party that got a bit out of control, and wound up with 6-7 squad cars outside our house (because, well, America). I would say it took them about 90 seconds to cop we were Irish, and about another 90 seconds to go from looking like they were prepared to break up a riot to telling us all about their visits to the Cliffs of Moher or Guinness Store House, or asking for tips on where to go if they hadn't been to Ireland.

We did have one friend who got arrested 2-3 times over there though, naturally the only non-white guy among us! :pac:

Two of the cops were black, and the disgust in their faces at what they were seeing was very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Chrongen wrote: »
    I won't have to deal with white-supremacist bible-thumpers and asshole cops demanding "respect".

I've never had to deal with that. Ok, recently I was approached by a couple of Mormons in the park asking if I wanted to talk about Jesus. I politely declined and they went on their way. Maybe they were white supremacists though, I didn't ask.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't see that as being entirely accurate. The stance of the Administration is that some 1.8million illegals (800,000 of which are DACA) should have a path to citizenship. The Grassley bill submitted by a number of Republicans this week does exactly that.

There is very little argument over the DREAM act on either side of the house. Where the argument is is over the other issues such as family migration, diversity visas, or the border funding, opinions on which I believe you will find is a little more split in the US population.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,729 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I guess Irish people go on one way trips to Mexico , and cross into USA to work with family there already. Border is just a line in the sand after all, one step and your in. Make way to Boston or New York and work in trades.
    I can see why they need Trump to build his wall.

I guess Irish people go on one way trips to Mexico , and cross into USA to work with family there already. Border is just a line in the sand after all, one step and your in. Make way to Boston or New York and work in trades.
    I can see why they need Trump to build his wall.
    It's the Canadian border that's crossed far more often according to family I have in NY and PA.

Chrongen wrote: »

Doubt there is a whole lot of employment opportunities in Spain, Italy or the Balkans right now.

From a quick search.
    Spain unemployment 17%
    Italy 11%
    Croatia 10%

Ireland 6%
    USA 4%

To be fair when you're Irish you also get a tonne of leeway from a lot of police. I remember being on a J1 in Chicago about 11-12 years back, we were in a rough largely black/Hispanic part of the city, had a house party that got a bit out of control, and wound up with 6-7 squad cars outside our house (because, well, America). I would say it took them about 90 seconds to cop we were Irish, and about another 90 seconds to go from looking like they were prepared to break up a riot to telling us all about their visits to the Cliffs of Moher or Guinness Store House, or asking for tips on where to go if they hadn't been to Ireland.

We did have one friend who got arrested 2-3 times over there though, naturally the only non-white guy among us! :pac:

Two of the cops were black, and the disgust in their faces at what they were seeing was very obvious.

Well a bit like Irish people not really going to the US to be on minimum wage most Irish people are not going to the US to be black or Hispanic either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It's the Canadian border that's crossed far more often according to family I have in NY and PA.

I have no idea why Irish people would want to work illegally in the US these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have no idea why Irish people would want to work illegally in the US these days.

Was offered the chance years ago. I was doing my degree at the time so I passed. It'd probably be better than unemployment until you need to go home if someone falls ill or something.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Was offered the chance years ago. I was doing my degree at the time so I passed. It'd probably be better than unemployment until you need to go home if someone falls ill or something.

i don't think i could live my day to day life with that kind of uncertainty hanging over me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

bluewolf wrote: »
    i don't think i could live my day to day life with that kind of uncertainty hanging over me

Same here. A bit of certainty is hard to beat. Would only take a phone call from a vengeful colleague or acquaintance as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's popular among younger folk without any attachments, it a bit of an adventure.
    There is good money to be made.

There was a good program about undocumented Irish in the US on RTE about a year ago.

There were some who were there 20+ years and very concerned about their future, then there was a young 20 something working in a bar, didn't give a hoot, if he was caught and sent home so be it.

It's popular among younger folk without any attachments, it a bit of an adventure.
    There is good money to be made.

There was a good program about undocumented Irish in the US on RTE about a year ago.

There were some who were there 20+ years and very concerned about their future, then there was a young 20 something working in a bar, didn't give a hoot, if he was caught and sent home so be it.

As an aside, I utterly loathe the terms "undocumented Irish". If they were from outside Europe, Canada or Australasia they'd be rightly referred to as illegal immigrants. What they've done is break the law. Being Irish does not abnegate that.

H. H. Asquith

As an aside, I utterly loathe the terms "undocumented Irish". If they were from outside Europe, Canada or Australasia they'd be rightly referred to as illegal immigrants. What they've done is break the law. Being Irish does not abnegate that.

For some reason my phone would not auto correct "illegal" for me so I used "undocumented"

Your correct illegal immigrant is the right term.

Me neither, and not just now but generally speaking. Frankly the stress of it alone would be too much before factoring in other things like career opportunities, setting up a life properly, etc.

These days? I'd be thinking the same for any period... I wondered the same about those living illegally in Australia or China while I was there.

It seems to be more common when there's a group of them involved. That group solidarity in helping each other dodge the law/rules. Personally, I've had the opportunities (and encouragement from friends) to do the same, but honestly, it was just far easier to move on to another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Usa Is an appalling country. Outside of the wealthy the country is a cesspool. Have you ever been to detroit. It's a post apocalyptic city. The American dream is a total lie. It exists for about 30% of rich white people. Large chunks of america are soulless dead , no hope cities/ghettos.

Charliebo313 on YouTube has great videos

https://youtu.be/DVxeW1WLWpY

• Advertisement

Not to go off topic but I get a feeling I've seen that shop right at the start of the video in The Wire... possibly where some character bought individual cigarettes. Random but it just jumped right out at me.

Advertisement