Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions eat poacher - just leave his head

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cursai wrote: »
    Eh! Did you not read the story. The lions ate it.

EH did you read the post I replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What poachers do ain't right but there's some seriously sick posters here ... it's like whoosh - some really dont get the irony of getting a kick out of someone's death whilst decrying hunting at the same time ...

Btw does anyone actually know if the guy was some white / 'tourist' dude hell bent on getting something for a trophy as suggested in a number of posts here e.g. "killing for sport etc"

or

Was it a local guy trying to make a couple of bucks for his family etc?

Doesn't excuse anything imo but most of the posts here indicate the former however I can't find any info online about the poacher whatsoever...

In addition a number of the news reports I've seen indicate he may have been poaching other animals than the lions...

But hey what does the actual facts matter

Let's get #outraged

:rolleyes: ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't get the making fun of /taking joy in his death. Yeh he was committing a crime and did so at his own risk so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it but I think its hypocritical, we all have millions of innocent animals killed daily for our meals and lions aren't even an endangered species

It was still a horrible way to die and he probably had family so i think its ****ty to make fun of it.

People seem to have such weird views on justice when any animal is involved, I remember a video of a lady who was training a horse and she was overly aggressive and spooked it, it kicked her in the face and now she's permanently deformed/disabled..everyone in the comments was basically like 'good enough for her for scaring the horse'
    How the **** did she deserve that, we all do much worse to other humans and we wouldn't say somebody deserves being permanently maimed for annoying/scaring somebody so why'd she deserve it for being rude to a horse

Got what he deserved

Delighted for him, revenge is sweet, love it

If my dad went around killing lions, I would say the same thing

Deserved to die

thierry14 wrote: »
    Got what he deserved

Delighted for him, revenge is sweet, love it

If my dad went around killing lions, I would say the same thing

Deserved to die

Ok take the scenario you have next to nothing and live locally - you are offered money to go poach an animal - money that will help provide for your children perhaps - and you do.

As that child - would you now say the same thing?

Doesn't make it right - but you think the guy still deserves to die according to your code of morality?

I'm sorry but that's not a conclusion any rational person should make imo

If people believe the death of an animal is tragic then surely a death of a human in such tragic circumstances would warrant some level of empathy but no this man deserved to die and is worse than Hitler!

Overly dramatic perhaps? :rolleyes: You're the one introducing Hitler or comparing our lack of empathy for this poachers death with a mass murderer.
    I bet if ye saw these lions about to approach a basket of cute little puppies ye would all get itchy trigger fingers!!

Yup. As I would if I saw them attacking a human. The point here is saw. The point is being involved. I'm not a bleeding heart for everything that has no connection with me and I don't believe that others are too.
    gozunda wrote: »
    What poachers do ain't right but there's some seriously sick posters here ...
    Let's get #outraged :rolleyes: ...

Or get outraged because we're not as outraged as you are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭bilbot79

RobertKK wrote: »
    No, not a hypocrite, killing animals illegally and eating them would make one a hypocrite.
    The human/cattle relationship actually works great for both species, and has helped each species to thrive.
    If everyone went vegan, hundreds of millions of cattle who breed and or produce dairy products would end up being slaughtered and a much shorter life.

The mane thing is that you're not lion, in fact you speak the truth with pride.

How about quoting that in context?
    gozunda wrote:
    What poachers do ain't right but there's some seriously sick posters here ... it's like whoosh - some really dont get the irony of getting a kick out of someone's death whilst decrying hunting at the same time ...

Or get outraged because we're not as outraged as you are...

Pointing out hypocrisy ain't outrage ...

Pointing out hypocrisy ain't outrage ...

The posts afterward bemoaning the lack of empathy and criticising those getting a kick out of the thread, are though.

And TBH I suspect you're getting as much pleasure sitting up on your moral superiority pedestal judging those who had some fun on the thread. It feels so good to be "right". :D

The posts afterward bemoaning the lack of empathy and criticising those getting a kick out of the thread, are though.

The apparent lack of empathy and getting a kick out of getting pleasure in someones death IS hypocrisy or do you not understand that?
    And TBH I suspect you're getting as much pleasure sitting up on your moral superiority pedestal judging those who had some fun on the thread. It feels so good to be "right".

Fun? Thats good ... :rolleyes:

Attacking the poster there and not the issue?

Hey instead of setting yourself up over the rest of us - how about you actually make a contribution on the issue instead

Fun? Thats good ... :rolleyes:

Attacking the poster there and not the issue?

What attack at the poster? I'm attacking the moral superiority. But, sure, go ahead and report me.
    Hey instead of setting yourself up over the rest of us - how about you actually make a contribution on the issue instead

Whereas I'm not setting myself over the rest... I'm putting myself firmly on the same level.

And there hasn't been much to actually respond to except a few people patting themselves on the back for showing more empathy than the posters who said the poacher deserved what he received. Which he did.

• Advertisement

The apparent lack of empathy and getting a kick out of getting pleasure in someones death IS hypocrisy or do you not understand that?

Nope. Do you know what hypocrisy actually means? You might want to check the definition...

Nobody is claiming any higher standard except you.

What attack at the poster? I'm attacking the moral superiority. But, sure, go ahead and report me.

No? Really- See these nuggets below :rolleyes:
    klaz wrote:
    And TBH I suspect you're getting as much pleasure sitting up on your moral superiority pedestal judging those who had some fun on the thread. It feels so good to be "right".
    klaz wrote:
    Whereas I'm not setting myself over the rest... I'm putting myself firmly on the same level.

Ah the appeal to the common man - ya ;)
    klaz wrote:
    And there hasn't been much to actually respond to except a few people patting themselves on the back for showing more empathy than the posters who said the poacher deserved what he received. Which he did.

Well I and some others posted some alternative facts and figures as opposed to jumping on "let's burn the witch" bandwagon some are riding - but hey dont let that stop you ...

Nope. Do you know what hypocrisy actually means? You might want to check the definition...

You mean like this little piece of judgement?
    Klaz wrote:
    ...And TBH I suspect you're getting as much pleasure sitting up on your moral superiority pedestal judging those who had some fun on the thread. It feels so good to be "right".

You're funny ...

Now how about actually getting back on topic?

Anyone see any update on the story and details of the poacher?

No? Really- See these nuggets below :rolleyes:

You see that as an attack? rather thin-skinned.
    Ah the appeal to the common man - ya ;)

Um, no... more a reality check.

Well I and some others posted some alternative facts and figures as opposed to jumping on "let's burn the witch" bandwagon some are riding - but hey dont let that stop you ...

Err, nope. Went through the thread twice again. Plenty of opinions, and a few "figures"... not seeing any links to the sources though. But what's the relevance to me? None of the figures relate to my lack of empathy for this poacher.

Ahh... you want praise for standing up to After Hours and defending the poor victim. Gotcha.

You see that as an attack? rather thin-skinned. Um, no... more a reality check. Err, nope. Went through the thread twice again. Plenty of opinions, and a few "figures"... not seeing any links to the sources though. But what's the relevance to me? None of the figures relate to my lack of empathy for this poacher.

Ahh... you want praise for standing up to After Hours and defending the poor victim. Gotcha.

Did we decide who is the "victim" then?
    Ya still dont get it do ya?

Can't help you there then ... ;)

You mean like this little piece of judgement?

That's not a judgement about you. That's pointing out that hypocrisy doesn't mean:
    The apparent lack of empathy and getting a kick out of getting pleasure in someones death IS hypocrisy

If people were claiming some higher standard of morals or ethics, and then, took joy in this guys death.... we would be seeing hypocrisy.

Showing a lack of empathy/sympathy from the beginning and not deviating from that stance isn't hypocrisy.
    Now how about actually getting back on topic?

:D
    Did we decide who is the "victim" then?
    Ya still dont get it do ya?

Can't help you there then ... ;)

That goes both ways. Funny.

That's not a judgement about you. That's pointing out that hypocrisy doesn't mean: if people were claiming some higher standard of morals or ethics, and then, took joy in this guys death.... we would be seeing hypocrisy. Showing a lack of empathy/sympathy from the beginning and not deviating from that stance isn't hypocrisy.

Nah you still don't get it ;)

Seriously do you have anything to add to the topic or or you just going to keep on without knowing what actually happened?

Careful now getting off that bandwagon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Korma, oops, Karma.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Korma, oops, Karma.

It's Africa - not India. There are no tigers in Africa :D (someone wrote a book about that afaik)

Nah you still don't get it ;)

I get that you have reinterpreted the meaning of the word to suit your own opinion.
    Seriously do you have anything to add to the topic or or you just going to keep on without knowing what actually happened?

You mean that the facts listed on the first page or on the article itself are incorrect? You have extra information that disproves the assertions made by the news reports or the police? :eek:

Ahh.. no. That's not it at all.
    Careful now getting off that bandwagon ...

I can't help it if other people feel the same way as I do. I left my "rebelling for the sake of it" stage when I grew up.

But for the sake of the thread. What is your point? What has the argument evolved towards? [Assuming we're no longer talking about Hypocrisy, or false sympathy for the deceased]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I don't get the making fun of /taking joy in his death. Yeh he was committing a crime and did so at his own risk so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it but I think its hypocritical, we all have millions of innocent animals killed daily for our meals and lions aren't even an endangered species

It was still a horrible way to die and he probably had family so i think its ****ty to make fun of it.

With only 20000 left in the wild they are now considered "vulnerable" by the WWF https://www.wwf.org.uk/wildlife/african-lions. While I wouldn't be celebrating this guy's death, I certainly have no sympathy with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭4Ad

Chrongen wrote: »
    The lions should have mounted the head on their wall. That would have been a nice touch.

Thats stupid and barbaric !
    Who would ever do such a thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Dev84 wrote: »
    Dreadful stuff. Does anyone deserve to die this way?

If you go out hunting animals that will rip you apart and eat you then you can at least expect it.

The people that are “delighted” it happened are a little twisted IMO.
    I couldn’t delight in the vicious death of anybody on the planet.

I get that you have reinterpreted the meaning of the word to suit your own opinion. You mean that the facts listed on the first page or on the article itself are incorrect? You have extra information that disproves the assertions made by the news reports or the police? :eek:Ahh.. no. That's not it at all. can't help it if other people feel the same way as I do. I left my "rebelling for the sake of it" stage when I grew up. But for the sake of the thread. What is your point? What has the argument evolved towards? Assuming we're no longer talking about Hypocrisy, or false sympathy for the deceased

:rolleyes: You still don't get it

Especially for you ...

Facts as they stand:

Initial reports of the story indicated that it was a tractor driver who was killed - that has now changed ...

What we do know is that a human head was found with a gun in close proximity

At present we do not know the identity of the "Poacher" - that has yet to be established.

There appear to be some assumptions on the thread that the poacher was akin to a trophy Hunter and was "killing for sport / fun" - If the person was a poacher then the latter is unlikely imo.

Note: I'm not excusing poachers btw

The first reports also indicate that he may have been poaching another animal(s) when attacked by the lions ... that still may be likley

But hey as I said don't let the facts or lack of get in your way ...

Ps. I had to highlight this one lol ...
    klaz wrote:
    I can't help it if other people feel the same way as I do.

You are really very funny :D

:rolleyes: You still don't get it

Obviously. No need to keep repeating that.
    Facts as they stand:

Good. Because I do rather like facts.
    Initial reports of the story indicated that it was a tractor driver who was killed - that has now changed ...

The OP article reports a suspected big cat poacher. Fact 1.

Anything else is speculation since we have to go by the actual article provided. Unless you have other reports not referenced in the thread?
    What we do know is that a human head was gound with a gun in close proximity

Ok. Got that. Fact 2.
    There appear to be some assumptions on the thread that the poacher was akin to a trophy Hunter and was "killing for sport / fun" - If the person was a poacher then the latter is unlikely imo.

Perhaps, but there aren't any other facts being listed. He was a suspected big cat poacher, which could mean just about anything. He could have been a farmer, truck driver, or just about anything. Poaching is a sideline for quite a few people in Africa.
    But hey as I said don't let the facts or lack of get in your way ...

I'm not seeing any facts being provided that go against the original article. Plenty of opinions though, including yours. Calling your opinions facts, doesn't make them facts... unless you're willing to provide links to reputable sources which support your opinion.
    You are really very funny

I have my moments. You're quite amusing yourself.

Obviously. No need to keep repeating that.

I wouldn't if I didnt have too :rolleyes:
    The OP article reports a suspected big cat poacher.

Anything else is speculation since we have to go by the actual article provided. Unless you have other reports not referenced in the thread?

Yaaaahhh! Breakthrough - you've got it finally- well done!!

Yes you are correct the story is from a "newspaper" article! And yes indeed at present largely 'suspected' and 'speculation'. Now you can put your glee about your 'nasty poacher' back in its box until we know more :D .

I wouldn't if I didnt have too :rolleyes:

Yaaaahhh! Breakthrough - you've got it finally- well done!!

Yes you are correct the story is from a "newspaper" article! And yes indeed at present largely 'suspected' and 'speculation'. Now you can put your glee about your 'nasty poacher back in its box until we know more :D .

He was found under rather suspicious circumstances, near the Kruger National Park. It's not as if he was found with a canvas and paints.

I'm perfectly happy to accept the opinions of the experts like the police or the local organisation who felt it justified to call him a suspected poacher.

And since you like facts, show where I was gleeful at his death? I said I had no sympathy for the deceased, and he got what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Even though their numbers have declined(as have the majority of wild animals due to human habitat expansion much more so than poaching) they're not considered endangered, their status is vulnerable.

I wonder why we aren't baying for the blood of loggers who are killing one hundred fold the amount of wild endangered animals across the world than poachers are

Its because the public has some weirdly distorted moral compass with regards the rights of certain animals and different animals are treated completely differently to one another for no justifiable reason

You talk about millions of animals being killed everyday for food. Well you can't blame the vegetarians for that now can you?
    Also lions aren't killed for food, are they? The only people who should be allowed to hunt are those tribesmen who go out in a group and spear a wildboar and bring it back to their tribal camp or Inuits who shoot a seal for meat and fur and blubber. Everyone else is just doing it for fun.

And remember the whole ecosystem is delicately balanced and intertwined. Culling lions means that other species down the food chain have no natural predators so their numbers expand causing further problems such as overeating of vegetation which in turn leads to desertification which in turn leads to migratory disruptions ... I could go on and on.

Chrongen wrote: »
    You talk about millions of animals being killed everyday for food. Well you can't blame the vegetarians for that now can you?
    Also lions aren't killed for food, are they? The only people who should be allowed to hunt are those tribesmen who go out in a group and spear a wildboar and bring it back to their tribal camp or Inuits who shoot a seal for meat and fur and blubber. Everyone else is just doing it for fun.

And remember the whole ecosystem is delicately balanced and intertwined. Culling lions means that other species down the food chain have no natural predators so their numbers expand causing further problems such as overeating of vegetation which in turn leads to desertification which in turn leads to migratory disruptions ... I could go on and on.

Lions and other such animals are often killed for their tribal or shamanistic value. Chinese traditional medicine places a high value on a number of predatory or endangered species, where the animal parts are ground up to add to medicine. African tribal medicine has many similar practices/beliefs. So, hunting these animals is very good money. Some parts sold off to the traditional medicine industry, some to those who link it with being virile, and others for ornamentation.

The poor aren't going to care about the eco-system. They're only going to care about money for their families. You, could indeed, go on and on. We've heard it all before. The people you should be convincing aren't on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 tomatofruit

Meeeeooooo... ouch

Advertisement