Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions eat poacher - just leave his head

Options
  • 12-02-2018 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43035474
    South African lions eat 'poacher', leaving just his head

A suspected big cat poacher has been eaten by lions near the Kruger National Park in South Africa, police say.

The animals left little behind, but some body parts were found over the weekend at a game park near Hoedspruit.

"It seems the victim was poaching in the game park when he was attacked and killed by lions," Limpopo police spokesman Moatshe Ngoepe told AFP.

"They ate his body, nearly all of it, and just left his head and some remains."

Police have not yet established the victim's identity. A loaded hunting rifle and ammunition were found next to the body, South African website Eyewitness News reports.

Lion poaching has been on the rise in Limpopo province in recent years.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He can only go head hunting now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

well his favourite food was baked beings

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He should have kept calm, hunting Lions is not a time to lose your head !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He’ll be easy to buy for at Xmas now. Hope he likes hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Jaysus. How did he survive that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

The lions should have mounted the head on their wall. That would have been a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Chrongen wrote: »
    The lions should have mounted the head on their wall. That would have been a nice touch.

T'wud be their pride and joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't get the making fun of /taking joy in his death. Yeh he was committing a crime and did so at his own risk so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it but I think its hypocritical, we all have millions of innocent animals killed daily for our meals and lions aren't even an endangered species

It was still a horrible way to die and he probably had family so i think its ****ty to make fun of it.

People seem to have such weird views on justice when any animal is involved, I remember a video of a lady who was training a horse and she was overly aggressive and spooked it, it kicked her in the face and now she's permanently deformed/disabled..everyone in the comments was basically like 'good enough for her for scaring the horse'
    How the **** did she deserve that, we all do much worse to other humans and we wouldn't say somebody deserves being permanently maimed for annoying/scaring somebody so why'd she deserve it for being rude to a horse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

wakka12 wrote: »
    .... It was still a horrible way to die and he probably had family so i think its ****ty to make fun of it......

Are you saying we should arm lions so they can make their deaths quicker?

'cos that would be AWESOME!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I don't get the making fun of /taking joy in his death. Yeh he was committing a crime and did so at his own risk so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it but I think its hypocritical, we all have millions of innocent animals killed daily for our meals and lions aren't even an endangered species

It was still a horrible way to die and he probably had family so i think its ****ty to make fun of it.

People seem to have such weird views on justice when any animal is involved, I remember a video of a lady who was training a horse and she was overly aggressive and spooked it, it kicked her in the face and now she's permanently deformed/disabled..everyone in the comments was basically like 'good enough for her for scaring the horse'
    How the **** did she deserve that, we all do much worse to other humans and we wouldn't say somebody deserves being permanently maimed for annoying/scaring somebody so why'd she deserve it for being rude to a horse
    Are you saying we should arm lions so they can make their deaths quicker?

'cos that would be AWESOME!!!!!!

No way I'm feline sad about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

Are they planning to stick the head on a wall or something? Would be fair enough I suppose.

Chrongen wrote: »

They have more class than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Love watching those big cats documentaries on the telly. Magnificent and terrifying creatures. Surprised they even left the head.

Surprised they even left the head.

They knew a shîthead when they saw one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Poaching big game is a horrid practice but I'd prefer perpetrators to be caught and severely reprimanded by the law than be eaten by a Pride of Lions.

Hard to think of a worse death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Poaching big game is a horrid practice but I'd prefer perpetrators to be caught and severely reprimanded by the law than be eaten by a Pride of Lions.

Hard to think of a worse death.

Killing a Lion so it's cubs starve to death is pretty bad. Unlike the poachers, Lions kill quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah, people are hypocrites. If you're a vegan and are happy at something like this, fair enough. If you're someone who eats meat and wears animals, you're a hypocrite.

I'm no vegan/veggie, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but I'm not going to go get any joy from death; human or animal, just seems a bit perverse to me.

Jokes/dark humour about it, perfectly fine. Having a little orgy of celebration, less so. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is this type of person that leads to animals becoming endangered. He was playing a dangerous game hunting in a national park, which is illegal and it should be remembered that the park rangers who try and protect these animals have to be armed, because some of these poachers are armed and prepared to shoot more than just the animals in he park.
    It was reported in 2015 that park rangers killed close to 500 poachers over a 5 year period.
    Maybe if the lions hadn't gotten him, the park rangers would have. One can say lions aren't endangered but every lion killed illegally, it adds up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Amirani wrote: »
    Yeah, people are hypocrites. If you're a vegan and are happy at something like this, fair enough. If you're someone who eats meat and wears animals, you're a hypocrite.

I'm no vegan/veggie, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but I'm not going to go get any joy from death; human or animal, just seems a bit perverse to me.

Jokes/dark humour about it, perfectly fine. Having a little orgy of celebration, less so. Just my opinion.

No, not a hypocrite, killing animals illegally and eating them would make one a hypocrite.
    The human/cattle relationship actually works great for both species, and has helped each species to thrive.
    If everyone went vegan, hundreds of millions of cattle who breed and or produce dairy products would end up being slaughtered and a much shorter life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you hunt you believe that you are the superior species & have dominion over the animals.

These Lions just restored the balance for once. He turned from killer to into food so he did some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

tumblr_nptq18s09Q1uy95wbo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

50 years ago there was 450,000 lions in Africa, now they think there’s a few as 20,000.

They are seriously endangered. I wonder how many lions he’s killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Terrible way to go, but if you live by the sword, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Love reading these kind of story’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

endacl wrote: »
    He’ll be easy to buy for at Xmas now. Hope he likes hats.

I proper lol'd on the train!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

easy way to get rid of the evidence. plant a rifle next to the body, blame the lions...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    50 years ago there was 450,000 lions in Africa, now they think there’s a few as 20,000.

They are seriously endangered. I wonder how many lions he’s killed?

Even though their numbers have declined(as have the majority of wild animals due to human habitat expansion much more so than poaching) they're not considered endangered, their status is vulnerable.

I wonder why we aren't baying for the blood of loggers who are killing one hundred fold the amount of wild endangered animals across the world than poachers are

Its because the public has some weirdly distorted moral compass with regards the rights of certain animals and different animals are treated completely differently to one another for no justifiable reason

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

easy way to get rid of the evidence. plant a rifle next to the body, blame the lions...

Body ?? :):)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

exactly

Advertisement