Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions eat poacher - just leave his head

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

He was found under rather suspicious circumstances, near the Kruger National Park. It's not as if he was found with a canvas and paints. I'm perfectly happy to accept the opinions of the experts like the police or the local organisation who felt it justified to call him a suspected poacher.And since you like facts, show where I was gleeful at his death? I said I had no sympathy for the deceased, and he got what he deserved.

Remember as a rule news reports are not always accurate may even embellish a news story or online where others may use hyperbole to exaggerate (canvas and paints :rolleyes:)

It's generally a good idea holding off burning the witch until the mob disperses and someone in charge can check that it is a witch a not a duck.

Saying the guy - who at this stage is only suspected of poaching 'got what he deserved' is a bit rich and yes those type of sentiments do come across as gleeful whether you know it or not
    Glee - delight especially from one's own good fortune or for another's misfortune.

gozunda wrote: »
    Remember as a rule news reports are not always accurate may even embellish a news story or online where others may use hyperbole to exaggerate (canvas and paints :rolleyes:)

It's generally a good idea holding off burning the witch until the mob disperses and someone in charge can check that it is a witch a not a duck.

All opinions. Still waiting for your alternative facts to the article. We take the Ops Article as fact until someone provides alternative credible information, or can discredit the information. Nobody has done so yet.

People have the right to post their opinions on a subject without needing your approval. They can use the information listed in the article as a basis of fact, since they come from credible sources, not opinion pieces.

If you feel that the reports are in error, provide alternative sources, and allow people to decide for themselves.
    Glee - delight especially from one's own good fortune or for another's misfortune.

Yup. I know what Glee means. But once again you're interpreting the word based on what you want it to mean, rather than what it does mean. I didn't express any glee in the death of the suspected poacher.
    Saying the guy - who at this stage is only suspected of poaching 'got what he deserved' is a bit rich and yes those type of sentiments do come across as gleeful whether you know it or not

For someone who is complaining about people reading between the lines, you're doing an awful amount of it yourself.

All opinions. Still waiting for your alternative facts to the article. We take the Ops Article as fact until someone provides alternative credible information, or can discredit the information. Nobody has done so yet.

Ah back to this old malarkey ...

Indeed all opinions - to be read with the caveat that the incident relates to a suspected and speculated news story- I though you had got that? No?
    People have the right to post their opinions on a subject without needing your approval. They can use the information listed in the article as a basis of fact, since they come from credible sources, not opinion pieces.

They do and even I can post without yours! But also on boards opinion is even sometime held up to scrutiny :eek: . If something is yet to proven then we shouldn't start lynching people and throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    If you feel that the reports are in error, provide alternative sources, and allow people to decide for themselves.

I guess like most normal people I will hold until the findings of the investigation are released.
    Yup. I know what Glee means. But once again you're interpreting the word based on what you want it to mean, rather than what it does mean. I didn't express any glee in the death of the suspected poacher.

Hehe - Do you own the rights of the dictionary or something?? - Your fall back position is too claim others are at fault continuously... doesn't work I'm afraid ;)

And I thought we had made some progress- instead your logic is still running around in the same circles...

Ah well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Chrongen wrote: »
    You talk about millions of animals being killed everyday for food. Well you can't blame the vegetarians for that now can you?
    Also lions aren't killed for food, are they? The only people who should be allowed to hunt are those tribesmen who go out in a group and spear a wildboar and bring it back to their tribal camp or Inuits who shoot a seal for meat and fur and blubber. Everyone else is just doing it for fun.

And remember the whole ecosystem is delicately balanced and intertwined. Culling lions means that other species down the food chain have no natural predators so their numbers expand causing further problems such as overeating of vegetation which in turn leads to desertification which in turn leads to migratory disruptions ... I could go on and on.

Now we have another layer of hypocrisy,certain people are allowed hunt certain animals depending on the certain reasons why they want to kill them. As I said, end result is an animal dead in both situations, doubt the animal cares who or why somebody killed him. The thing complicating the situation is a highly distorted and illogical public opinion on the welfare of certain types of animals. Personally I don't think one animals life should be valued so much so over another that a person killing one type of animal deserves death and we are fine normal people for killing millions of other types of animals daily
    Of course if there are laws against it, to protect endangered species then I think he should have been imprisoned. But personally I don't think he was a bad person for doing it, as we kill innocent animals all the time for the pleasure of eating meat which is no longer necessary to sustain ourselves.
    Maybe he was poor and needed money and thats why he did it? How do we know he took joy in killing the lion?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't get the making fun of /taking joy in his death. Yeh he was committing a crime and did so at his own risk so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it but I think its hypocritical, we all have millions of innocent animals killed daily for our meals and lions aren't even an endangered species

It was still a horrible way to die and he probably had family so i think its ****ty to make fun of it.

People seem to have such weird views on justice when any animal is involved, I remember a video of a lady who was training a horse and she was overly aggressive and spooked it, it kicked her in the face and now she's permanently deformed/disabled..everyone in the comments was basically like 'good enough for her for scaring the horse'
    How the **** did she deserve that, we all do much worse to other humans and we wouldn't say somebody deserves being permanently maimed for annoying/scaring somebody so why'd she deserve it for being rude to a horse

sob , sob , sob, he was poaching and paid the price, all those lovely animals hunted for their fur etc nice to see they get a chance to kill now and again, some of these animals may not be endangered but how many must be killed before that happens.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Got what he deserved. He crossed the lion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

decky1 wrote: »
    sob , sob , sob, he was poaching and paid the price, all those lovely animals hunted for their fur etc nice to see they get a chance to kill now and again, some of these animals may not be endangered but how many must be killed before that happens.:mad:

Valuing some animals lives over others because they're beautiful is surely cruel and extremely unfair.
    I don't care that yer man died, Im sure if he was a poacher hunting illegally out of pleasure then he was a bad guy I guess.
    But would you care if a worker in a cow slaughter factory or a dairy farmer was goared by his bullock or crushed by a cow? Doubt you'd say he deserved it, he's making a living off killing innocent animals though just like him

I don't really care about the poacher, I just think its mad hypocritical that you all are taking joy in his death when we kill millions of innocent animals daily for our pleasure of eating meat. And I know some of you are using the endangered animal thing as an excuse, but I think that's only a small factor in why you care. If he was killing some nice looking breed of deer or beautiful horses and was killed doing so I think you'd all have the exact same reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Valuing some animals lives over others because they're beautiful is surely cruel and extremely unfair.
    I don't care that yer man died, Im sure if he was a poacher hunting illegally out of pleasure then he was a bad guy I guess.
    But would you care if a worker in a cow slaughter factory or a dairy farmer was goared by his bullock or crushed by a cow? Doubt you'd say he deserved it, he's making a living off killing innocent animals though just like him

I don't really care about the poacher, I just think its mad hypocritical that you all are taking joy in his death when we kill millions of innocent animals daily for our pleasure of eating meat. And I know some of you are using the endangered animal thing as an excuse, but I think that's only a small factor in why you care. If he was killing some nice looking breed of deer or beautiful horses and was killed doing so I think you'd all have the exact same reaction

I think you're missing the irony here. The reason this is news isn't because he was breaking the law, it's because he's a lion hunter who was killed by lions. It'd be the same as if he was a matador who was gored by a bull or if he was working in a chicken factory and was pecked to death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

would you care if a worker in a cow slaughter factory or a dairy farmer was goared by his bullock or crushed by a cow?

This makes the news too sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I am sorry that that man's life was ripped from him by wild beasts and that he died in fear and agony. I've had it up to the back-teeth with this pseudo-virtuous bleating about how wonderful animals are and the poor little doggie and all the rest of it. Fuck 'em. They're dumb beasts. I hope the .243 Winchester vapourises the fuckin' thing's brain next time. So there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Maybe they kept the head as a trophy.

Rezident wrote: »
    Maybe they kept the head as a trophy.

Maybe - maybe the guy was murdered and his body disposed of in the game reserve with a gun left nearby - knowing that there would be little evidence left after the local wild life got to him .

I've seen stranger stories on reality tv - just saying ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jimgoose wrote: »
    I am sorry that that man's life was ripped from him by wild beasts and that he died in fear and agony. I've had it up to the back-teeth with this pseudo-virtuous bleating about how wonderful animals are and the poor little doggie and all the rest of it. Fuck 'em. They're dumb beasts. I hope the .243 Winchester vapourises the fuckin' thing's brain next time. So there! :D

The lad that got eaten was the 'dumb beast' in this case.

Sometimes, the supposed dumb beasts get the upper hand on oh-so-clever man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The lad that got eaten was the 'dumb beast' in this case.

Sometimes, the supposed dumb beasts get the upper hand on oh-so-clever man.

He certainly was, he had a powerful centrefire rifle and a large brain. The animal had tooth and claw. It happens, that's the Jungle. My problem is with the apparently PETA-inspired types who jump up-and-down with glee when a person is killed like this, or who threaten fire-and-damnation over the ickel gerbils or whatever the fuck it is this week.

jimgoose wrote: »
    He certainly was, he had a powerful centrefire rifle and a large brain. The animal had tooth and claw. It happens, that's the Jungle. My problem is with the apparently PETA-inspired types who jump up-and-down with glee when a person is killed like this, or who threaten fire-and-damnation over the ickel gerbils or whatever the fuck it is this week.

Dairy farmers 'raping' cows ... Apparently no animal should have medical / vetinary intervention unless they 'consent' to it .. go figure

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We spoke to a few people working in Kruger about stuff like this last year involving lions and rinos.

Chances are this guy was poor and had a family, he was most likely handed a gun and told he'd get paid for it.. He's at the very bottom of the food chain (pardon the pun). He'll be quickly replaced by another poor man looking to get some money to feed his starving family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

garv123 wrote: »
    We spoke to a few people working in Kruger about stuff like this last year involving lions and rinos.

Chances are this guy was poor and had a family, he was most likely handed a gun and told he'd get paid for it.. He's at the very bottom of the food chain (pardon the pun). He'll be quickly replaced by another poor man looking to get some money to feed his starving family.

If thats true then it is a shame, I originally posted this thinking it was like some rich American lad paying tens of thousands to hunt Lions.

Like that dentist prick.

If thats true then it is a shame, I originally posted this thinking it was like some rich American lad paying tens of thousands to hunt Lions.
    Like that dentist prick.

Ya I think a lot of posters thought that from the earlier comments. From the scarce information all we know is that he(?) was a 'suspected' poacher. Dont even know if he was after lions or something else.

I'm waiting for the update on the investigation before making any conclusions at this stage.

Advertisement