Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions eat poacher - just leave his head

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

Set up a GoFundMe page for the poacher if ye are so concerned. Fook the loss, good work by the lion imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

beautiful case of karma this is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't get the making fun of /taking joy in his death...we all have millions of innocent animals killed daily for our meals and lions aren't even an endangered species
    Reading the story made me very happy and I wouldn't blame anybody for making jokes. people who hunt for pure sport are scum and it's very very rare that a lion gets the better of a human, same thing with bullfighting. He knew the danger when he went hunting. Also killing for food is very very different to killing for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just lions being lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Greyfox wrote: »
    Reading the story made me very happy and I wouldn't blame anybody for making jokes. people who hunt for pure sport are scum and it's very very rare that a lion gets the better of a human, same thing with bullfighting. He knew the danger when he went hunting. Also killing for food is very very different to killing for fun

you eat meat because it tastes nice, i.e.. for pleasure, like sport. It is not necessary at all, thousands of other sources of nutrient and protein that sustain you just as well. And I eat meat and love meat, but Ill admit Im killing innocent animals for it when i don't need to .

But everyone thinks theyre so much better than this poacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Discodog wrote: »
    If you hunt you believe that you are the superior species & have dominion over the animals.

These Lions just restored the balance for once. He turned from killer to into food so he did some good.

Humans have hunted since the dawn of time. Only since the adoption of agriculture have most humans moved away from having to rely on hunting as a source of food. Although there are still plenty of tribal peoples and others who hunt for that very reason.

Animals also hunt other animals for the purpose of obtaining food and subsistence both carnivores such as lions, hyenas, dolphins, polar bears and omnivores including pigs, badgers, bears, civets, hedgehogs, skunks, squirrels, raccoons, mice, and rats.

Imo none of these animals or humans do so because "they believe that (they) are the superior species"

Humans also hunt for other reasons than subsistence including managing animal populations, the control of predators and yes even trophy hunting. Do they do so because they feel 'superior' or because they have 'dominion? I believe those are primarily relict religous concepts and not a valid description of modern human motives for hunting.

Perhaps it is more true to say that majority of humans do think they are superior to other animals at some level or other. Because of intelligence, technology civilisation and even our own species bias.

Wild animals whether hunted or otherwise are increasingly marginalised on a planet where humans dominate nearly every land mass and large parts of oceans.

It remains that humans are animals too and yes from time to time they do end up in the food chain in the wild - though this is hardly 'restoring the balance' - more like a brief return to way things were before the proceses of 'civilisation' wiped out huge numbers of other animals. Something whether we like it or not all humans are complicit with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

you eat meat because it tastes nice, i.e.. for pleasure, like sport. It is not necessary at all, thousands of other sources of nutrient and protein that sustain you just as well. And I eat meat and love meat, but Ill admit Im killing innocent animals for it when i don't need to .

Jesus h Christ, is this what the world is coming to? Do u think a farmer would rare say 100 cattle for the craic if there was no market for them? They would never exist if there was no market for there meat.
    And that's the same as poachers driving species to the point of Extinction? Who knew!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Dreadful stuff. Does anyone deserve to die this way?

enricoh wrote: »
    Jesus h Christ, is this what the world is coming to? Do u think a farmer would rare say 100 cattle for the craic if there was no market for them? They would never exist if there was no market for there meat.
    And that's the same as poachers driving species to the point of Extinction? Who knew!

And Im sure they'd rather not have been born than slaughtered for your dinner, if they could tell us and knew what was going to happen them in the future. An animal death is an animal death, I don't think killing one type of animal can be completely justifiable while killing another type of animal is reprehensible

And I think the fact that we domesticated them and hence we are the reason for their existence is an extremely poor argument in favour of killing any animal

I just think its crazy the mental gymnastics people go through with regards the rights they give certain animals over other animals. Horses are not endangered and are domestic and if somebody was shooting horses and a horse kicked him in the face and died it would be exact same reaction as this poacher got

Completely hypocritical

Also; its habitat loss due to human activity that is by far the biggest contributor to lion deaths, not poachers. Just another hypocritical thing, people only caring about poachers and not their own lifestyle which is killing way more lions.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    50 years ago there was 450,000 lions in Africa, now they think there’s a few as 20,000.

They are seriously endangered. I wonder how many lions he’s killed?

50 years ago the human population of Africa was just under 400 million people - today there is well over a billion people*. Human population increases have been responsible for many of the pressures on the survival of many animals including lions. That said I doubt yer man killed 430,000 lions ....

*1967 - 338,656,136

2017 - 1,256,268,025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Body ?? :):)

Eh! Did you not read the story. The lions ate it.

People shouldn't hunt what they don't eat or have to kill for safety of persons or culling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hunting/killing to eat is the natural order of things.

Killing for sport is not natural.
    It's what separates us from cats...cats are dicks.

GreeBo wrote: »

Lots of species of animals kill for sport/pleasure/out of boredom/simply to show dominance or power.
    But I agree, as humans we should know better. And we kill enough animals through feeding our fat faces and through habitat destruction. And we have enough hobbies to keep us busy without resorting to it.

GreeBo wrote: »

Lions are cats ... are they dicks too? :D

Whats natural? Many animals do kill for 'sport' including foxes and wild cats ... go figure

I don't get the making fun of /taking joy in his death. Yeh he was committing a crime and did so at his own risk so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it but I think its hypocritical, we all have millions of innocent animals killed daily for our meals and lions aren't even an endangered species

Nothing hypocritical about it all. TBH I'd put the value of a majestic animal like a lion ahead of the value of quite a few humans. I'd likely feel the same about my neighbors' cat.

It's more hypocritical to suggest that you really care that much about people you don't know anything about. Are you crying at night for the starving children, praying for humans who die of disease, etc etc etc? Somehow I doubt it. You're probably the same as I am. You don't think about it unless you notice an article, think about for a few moments and then continue with your life.

Meh. Hypocritical... Now.. If I had to personally choose between the life of a human I had seen or met and an animal... That would be different, but about some people who will never touch on my life?

cursai wrote: »
    People shouldn't hunt what they don't eat or have to kill for safety of persons or culling.

People 'shouldn't' do a lot of things - and yet they do. People shouldn't take pleasure in other people's deaths - a bunch of them on here have - lots of humans are not that nice imo ...

Nothing hypocritical about it all. TBH I'd put the value of a majestic animal like a lion ahead of the value of quite a few humans. I'd likely feel the same about my neighbors' cat.

It's more hypocritical to suggest that you really care that much about people you don't know anything about. Are you crying at night for the starving children, praying for humans who die of disease, etc etc etc? Somehow I doubt it. You're probably the same as I am. You don't think about it unless you notice an article, think about for a few moments and then continue with your life.

Meh. Hypocritical... Now.. If I had to personally choose between the life of a human I had seen or met and an animal... That would be different, but about some people who will never touch on my life?

I genuinely do feel bad about this particular fellow, can't say I usually do about people I hear die in news articles, merely because of the fact that being torn apart and devoured by giant lions sounds like one of the most horrible deaths imaginable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

But there are laws in most countries to stop animals from suffering a drawn out death (they should be enforced more). The basic principal of 1 man killing 1 animal to feed his family seems hard to have a problem with, this principal has got a little out of control with the crazy amount of animals we kill but if humans cut back dramatically it would have a big impact on the economy. Killing for meat comes from a practical, convenient and logical source. Hunting comes from a need for a person to feel superior. yes I get pleasure from eating meat but the hunter gets pleasure in the actual act of killing which I find disgusting

gozunda wrote: »
    People 'shouldn't' do a lot of things - and yet they do. People shouldn't take pleasure in other people's deaths - a bunch of them on here have - lots of humans are not that nice tbh ...

They still shouldn't do it, so......

• Advertisement

I genuinely do feel bad about this particular fellow, can't say I usually do about people I hear die in news articles, merely because of the fact that being torn apart and devoured by giant lions sounds like one of the most horrible deaths imaginable

Really? I can think of quite a few worse deaths.

Greyfox wrote: »
    But there are laws in most countries to stop animals from suffering a drawn out death (they should be enforced more). The basic principal of 1 man killing 1 animal to feed his family seems hard to have a problem with, this principal has got a little out of control with the crazy amount of animals we kill but if humans cut back dramatically it would have a big impact on the economy. Killing for meat comes from a practical, convenient and logical source. Hunting comes from a need for a person to feel superior. yes I get pleasure from eating meat but the hunter gets pleasure in the actual act of killing which I find disgusting

Again, I get what you mean but I don't think it justifies it. If there was a powerful animal above humans in the food chain capturing and harvesting us humanely, I think you'd find relatively little solace in the fact you were going to end up as dinner but at least you won't feel pain. Lucky for cows they're not smart enough to know.
    And I get your second point too, but the end result is still a dead animal. I doubt the animal would care really if you killed him for sport or for eating. Seeing as its not in any way necessary to eat meat to survive anymore, I think its really hypocritical to criticise a poacher for killing an innocent animal when we each kill many hundreds more animals personally for dinner annually

Really? I can think of quite a few worse deaths.

Well each to their own. Being mauled to death by a wild pack of animals is the worst for me, above drowning, fire, being murdered by a human, and any disease. Apart from the horrible pain the idea of being 'consumed' is just incredibly humiliating and sickening to me

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

If people believe the death of an animal is tragic then surely a death of a human in such tragic circumstances would warrant some level of empathy but no this man deserved to die and is worse than Hitler!

I bet if ye saw these lions about to approach a basket of cute little puppies ye would all get itchy trigger fingers!!

cursai wrote: »
    They still shouldn't do it, so......

My point is that people (in general) in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ...

If people believe the death of an animal is tragic then surely a death of a human in such tragic circumstances would warrant some level of empathy but no this man deserved to die and is worse than Hitler!

I bet if ye saw these lions about to approach a basket of cute little puppies ye would all get itchy trigger fingers!!

There was footage a few years back of a cute lil' gazelle been hunted by a bunch of lions published on Youtube - many of the comments called for hunters to go in and take out the nasty lions - prople are crazy ...

gozunda wrote: »
    There was footage a few years back of a cute lil' gazelle been hunted by a bunch of lions published on Youtube - many of the comments called for hunters to go in and take out the nasty lions ...

Yeh I saw similar on a video of a gorilla eating a baby deer and an (admittedly very funny video ) of a pelican eating a pigeon
    As I said before the general publics opinion of what animal's deserve to live or die depends on what the animal is, whats killing it , why, and the situation
    Its completely random and often incredibly hypocritical
    Im sure nearly every person in the comments section of the video saying the onlookers should have saved the pigeon regularly eat chicken or turkey or many other birds regularly. But this pelican isn't allowed the same privilege apparently, or at least not whilst in your vicinity where you can see it

But Im usually with them in their feelings. I would have probably hit the pelican to save the pigeon,it made me uncomfortable seeing the pigeon being eaten, (though it was funny too) even though I regularly eat meat. I guess Im just pointing out, that its completely ridiculous and hypocritical that I, or any of us , think that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I can't find it in me to have sympathy for this poacher one bit. He was going into their territory so instinctively they did what they could to protect it. The only question I have right now is whether these lions will be put down now that they have a taste for human blood? I'm hoping they won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

KKkitty wrote: »
    I can't find it in me to have sympathy for this poacher one bit. He was going into their territory so instinctively they did what they could to protect it. The only question I have right now is whether these lions will be put down now that they have a taste for human blood? I'm hoping they won't be.

Hopefully they'll all get a knighthood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wonder why the lion left the head...maybe it was planing on making one of these...

<mod snip> image removed </mod snip>

Advertisement