Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin receive millions more than any other county in development grants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not according to the figures posted by everyone else:
    That is clearly 10 times the funding, not 12.5 times the per capita funding.

The per capita spending printed in 2016 was Dublin 275 per registered player. The closest team to them that year, mayo, were at 22 per registered player. Therefore, Dublin were getting 12.5 times per capita of their nearest rival, thus your point about 10 times spend for 10 times the population is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How much is a tinfoil hat these days?

Asking for a mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    ok. but the school will get a programme of coaching with a plan behind it

Schools that participate might.

Not all schools participate and not all schools that participate get a programme of coaching with a plan behind it.
    the majority of schools who get coaching feed into a gaa club in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The per capita spending printed in 2016 was Dublin 275 per registered player. The closest team to them that year, mayo, were at 22 per registered player. Therefore, Dublin were getting 12.5 times per capita of their nearest rival, thus your point about 10 times spend for 10 times the population is wrong.

Per registered player isn't a correct comparison when it doesn't include juveniles when the money is for juveniles and when it doesn't include the promotion to non-participants.

Should have known there was a distortion in what you were quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Slattsy wrote: »

Asking for a mate.

About €14.40 plus postage on eBay ;)

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pegasus-John-Lear-Official-ATS-Tin-Foil-Hat-Not-Signed-Original/112774862299?hash=item1a41e7d5db:g:KEEAAOxypNtSjXTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Asking for a mate.
    Ewan McKenna gives them away for free if you ask him nicely

Per registered player isn't a correct comparison when it doesn't include juveniles when the money is for juveniles and when it doesn't include the promotion to non-participants.

Should have known there was a distortion in what you were quoting.

Actually, per registered player is a very good cross section of involvement in any county. Every county has juvenile players and common sense would tell you that the difference in registered players between counties would mirror the difference in numbers between juvenile players, so I don't see what difference including juvenile players is going to make to the argument. You seem to not realise that while it does bring down the figure for Dublin, which obviously is what you are trying to do, it also brings down the figures for everyone else, which still leaves the same disparity in spending per capita...

As for non-participation, every county faces issues that they have to deal with. They are the responsibility of that county. For example, it is a 200km round trip from Malin Head to Ballybofey. So obviously, it is a fair assertion to make that it actually costs more time and resources, on average to prepare a juvenile player outside of Dublin, than inside.

The thing is, that 200km cant be changed, it is there forever, whereas enticing young lads to tog out, with a ball of cash under your arm and the thing on their doorstep, is a far more manageable issue. Surely it should be addressed that if the guys in Donegal can get young lads to travel for 4 hours to train with county setups, with multiples less coaches and a relative pittance to spend in comparison, then maybe the guys in Dublin aren't doing such a good job after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Great, Dublin coaching are doing a bad job. Lets leave it at that. Quote of the year from MAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I've counted nine issues with this post, that's one per line. Impressive. I would be certain that the vast majority of readers see them too. It's a pity that a proper debate on the issues at hand is not what the poster desires.

It's impossible to argue against unsubstantiated opinion, but you are perfectly entitled to write it. On a more positive note, the obvious and unrelenting bias shown does provide incontrovertible proof that Dublin are doing things right. Long may it continue.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Great, Dublin coaching are doing a bad job. Lets leave it at that. Quote of the year from MAM.

Well think about it AA. Leave the county hat to one side for a second and consider it in a purely scientific manner. Is scraping 1 point wins at the highest level a good return for what they have at their disposal, relative to their competitors? It genuinely isn't.

Think of it as two factories. Surely the end product of the Dublin factory should be much further in front of the other factories? Surely, any fool will be able to tell you in that scenario, that you change the wasteful factory to mimic the productive one, not the other way around? We seem to have brainwashed ourselves into thinking the opposite is true, and that is potentially damaging for the future of the game.

• Advertisement

Jaden wrote: »
    I've counted nine issues with this post, that's one per line. Impressive. I would be certain that the vast majority of readers see them too. It's a pity that a proper debate on the issues at hand is not what the poster desires.

It's impossible to argue against unsubstantiated opinion, but you are perfectly entitled to write it. On a more positive note, the obvious and unrelenting bias shown does provide incontrovertible proof that Dublin are doing things right. Long may it continue.

'You are wrong, but I'm not going to say where, but it is wrong...'

Hard to take that seriously in fairness...

There is one large issue with your post. But unlike you, I'm actually going to state what it is because I'm able to stand over it - you aren't addressing the point of the thread at all, but rather trying to discredit the poster.

I don't think it is out of line to ask you to point out exactly what you consider to be wrong, and stand over what you have claimed. Surely it is only good manners?

Well think about it AA. Leave the county hat to one side for a second and consider it in a purely scientific manner. Is scraping 1 point wins at the highest level a good return for what they have at their disposal, relative to their competitors? It genuinely isn't.

Think of it as two factories. Surely the end product of the Dublin factory should be much further in front of the other factories? Surely, any fool will be able to tell you in that scenario, that you change the wasteful factory to mimic the productive one, not the other way around? We seem to have brainwashed ourselves into thinking the opposite is true, and that is potentially damaging for the future of the game.

Right so your gripe now is Dublin are not being efficient, but effective? You see you can take the example of a 60w light bulb here. It's primary role is to light a room, but it produces far less light than it does heat, so although it is effective as a light bulb it is a far more efficient heater. So are you annoyed at Dublin being effective in delivering All Irelands albeit in an inefficient manner? I

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

I will take scraping them 1 point wins at the highest level all day long , as I'm sure jim gavin his team and the whole county would , 3 All Irelands in a row , 4 leagues in a row happy days :D, hopefully theres more to come and if they are by 1 point it genuinely is good enough for me.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Right so your gripe now is Dublin are not being efficient, but effective? You see you can take the example of a 60w light bulb here. It's primary role is to light a room, but it produces far less light than it does heat, so although it is effective as a light bulb it is a far more efficient heater. So are you annoyed at Dublin being effective in delivering All Irelands albeit in an inefficient manner? I

I don't have any gripe and nor am I annoyed, it's just a discussion. You cant seem to fathom the reality that people can hold an opinion without there being some personalised 'gripe' or 'annoyance' involved.

The point I am making is people are being told to follow the Dublin model to promote GAA in their county, yet if we look at the numbers, it is in fact a poorly performing model relative to those of other counties out there. Therefore championing the Dublin model for everyone to follow is in fact a mistake, and furthermore, impossible to implement.

After that I was just exploring the possibilities if rolling out Kerry/mayo/tyrone models across the country was carried out instead. So for example, every county that has 150,000 odd of a population would have the potential to be 1 point poorer than the current Dublin side are now, with their 1.3 million and limitless money reserves. Maybe counties of around 100,000 could reach it over 5 years. That would make for quite a championship and indeed league also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

He reels ye in every time lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It is something to do in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

Same posters dedicating their accounts to talking about Dublin GAA closing many threads over the last year while their at it.Never post in their own so called county thread yet the mention of Dublin and they're like a dog with a bone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

as someone who is trying to get kids to play in school, our club and then to represent the county I feel the clubs and counties outside the top few are being treated with disdain.

and my protest will be not to go near county games anymore.
    especially as the current funding model does nothing to help address the imbalance in resources for the most basic units of the GAA - school and club

I don't have any gripe and nor am I annoyed, it's just a discussion. You cant seem to fathom the reality that people can hold an opinion without there being some personalised 'gripe' or 'annoyance' involved.

The point I am making is people are being told to follow the Dublin model to promote GAA in their county, yet if we look at the numbers, it is in fact a poorly performing model relative to those of other counties out there. Therefore championing the Dublin model for everyone to follow is in fact a mistake, and furthermore, impossible to implement.

After that I was just exploring the possibilities if rolling out Kerry/mayo/tyrone models across the country was carried out instead. So for example, every county that has 150,000 odd of a population would have the potential to be 1 point poorer than the current Dublin side are now, with their 1.3 million and limitless money reserves. Maybe counties of around 100,000 could reach it over 5 years. That would make for quite a championship and indeed league also.

I’ll change the wording from gripe to opinion then. You have repeatedly said Dublin are underperforming, yet when I discuss effectiveness v efficiency which you brought up, you refuse to discuss but again try and play the “you’ve personalised it” The reason people have gone th S route is you’re like a jack Russell with a bone regarding all things Dublin. You’re all over every thread like a cheap suits once it’s about Dublin and finances. As Rafa would say FACT. BTW I’m out of it now so all responses are pointless. See ya Spewan. And I did think it was another poster was him!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    as someone who is trying to get kids to play in school, our club and then to represent the county I feel the clubs and counties outside the top few are being treated with disdain.

and my protest will be not to go near county games anymore.
    especially as the current funding model does nothing to help address the imbalance in resources for the most basic units of the GAA - school and club

I understand your frustrations coming from a small club in Dublin. Surely your county board delegate is raising issues with CB? Surely GAA should be ploughing money into coaching instead of giving millions to GPA.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

bFHRRHX.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 meuidiot

I have yet to see one Dublin supporter try and make a rational defense of the figures posted. It’s either attack the poster “Mayo are whinging, spend too much on sun holidays”, it’s the tinfoil hat brigade or attack the source “Ewan McKenna is anti dubs” despite one poster admitting he’d never even read an article. I’d just love for once to see a true supporter admit they have an embarrassment of advantages going for them. It won’t take away from the fact that the Dublin team are a brilliant group of players with an excellent manager, it would just show you to be a small bit better than a Chelsea fan. If anyone wants to debate these figures by the way I’d be more than happy to engage, no agendas.

meuidiot wrote: »
    I have yet to see one Dublin supporter try and make a rational defense of the figures posted. It’s either attack the poster “Mayo are whinging, spend too much on sun holidays”, it’s the tinfoil hat brigade or attack the source “Ewan McKenna is anti dubs” despite one poster admitting he’d never even read an article. I’d just love for once to see a true supporter admit they have an embarrassment of advantages going for them. It won’t take away from the fact that the Dublin team are a brilliant group of players with an excellent manager, it would just show you to be a small bit better than a Chelsea fan. If anyone wants to debate these figures by the way I’d be more than happy to engage, no agendas.

Interesting first post on Boards. Welcome.

Thanks for joining and I'm sure like everyone else, we're all looking forward to your objective posts on all GAA related issues going forward.

Thanks for joining and I'm sure like everyone else, we're all looking forward to your objective posts on all GAA related issues going forward.

Interesting reply. What does my post count have to do with the issue at hand, namely the disproportionate level of funding being received by Dublin GAA. Please address the issue at hand.

Interesting reply. What does my post count have to do with the issue at hand, namely the disproportionate level of funding being received by Dublin GAA. Please address the issue at hand.

meuidiot wrote: »

Hi there and welcome to Boards. I think you might want to put your thoughts in a post before anyone can engage with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’ve said for years that western seaboard counties should receive cheaper tickets for games in Croke Park due to the increased expense and limited transport options that supporters face when traveling to games in Dublin AGAINST Dublin/Leinster Counties. GAA don’t want to know.

The advantage that Dublin have is incredible.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I’ve said for years that western seaboard counties should receive cheaper tickets for games in Croke Park due to the increased expense and limited transport options that supporters face when traveling to games in Dublin AGAINST Dublin/Leinster Counties. GAA don’t want to know.

The advantage that Dublin have is incredible.

What about Kerry and Cork?

Waterford to Dublin and a poxy drive too.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

What about Kerry and Cork?

Waterford to Dublin and a poxy drive too.

Discuss.

Want about them? Aren’t they western seaboard counties? Motorway most of the way? Waterford too.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Want about them? Aren’t they western seaboard counties? Motorway most of the way? Waterford too.

Sorry my sincere apologies. Maybe they could blag a lift with the Donegal lads next time.

Geography was never my strong point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement