Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin receive millions more than any other county in development grants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

DoctaDee wrote: »
    :D .. in no particular order his latest clickbaits were along the lines of

1. Pauric Duffy created a financially doped Dublin
    2. Rugby is an elitest sport that most in Ireland can't relate to or participate in
    3. It's our own fault that we have drugs cheats
    4. Women don't deserve the same pay as men in sport as they aren't as good

In fairness, there is truth in point 1 and 3.
    Point 2 is a reality for a certain percentage of the country, although not all.
    While point 4 is an interesting topic, well in his article, not so much in your selective description.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

In a nutshell, Dublin has the highest amount of registered players, that coupled with the overheads associated with any aspect of the game in Dublin are colossal in comparison to any other county. County grant distribution is worked out meticulously by the GAA and is distributed evenly based upon on the above influencing factors. There is no financial doping, Mayo are just shįte.

You’re welcome, you can close the tread now.

*takes a bow*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

sightband wrote: »
    In a nutshell, Dublin has the highest amount of registered players, that coupled with the overheads associated with any aspect of the game in Dublin are colossal in comparison to any other county. County grant distribution is worked out meticulously by the GAA and is distributed evenly based upon on the above influencing factors. There is no financial doping, Mayo are just shįte.

*takes a bow*

A team that takes Dublin to its limits (and not just once) is ****e???

You're not saying a whole lot about the Dublin team then are you. Careful you don't bow too low and find your head up you own "where the sun don't shine" :p

sightband wrote: »

*takes a bow*

Not accurate at all. Dublin get multiples per registered player from the gaa than every other county.
    Are you suggesting that the average Dublin youngster needs circa 10 times the investment put into him to reach the same level as a young lad from down the country, and that this is an overhead? Not sure the dub posters would agree with that, or myself for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

As for the guy on about property tax - simple fix - sell your house and move to the country. You can get a similar house for a fraction of the price, then retire on the proceeds.

The flip side to this, is of course, if you can't win an all Ireland living rurally, sell your house, move to Dublin, and Play For/Support the Dubs. Be happy.

Of course this won't fix the innate issues with the GAA as a whole, but I often wonder are enough people really that bothered to attempt to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

While point 4 is an interesting topic, well in his article, not so much in your selective description.

I don't read his articles

Jaden wrote: »
    The flip side to this, is of course, if you can't win an all Ireland living rurally, sell your house, move to Dublin, and Play For/Support the Dubs. Be happy.

Of course this won't fix the innate issues with the GAA as a whole, but I often wonder are enough people really that bothered to attempt to do this?

Not really. Moving to another county doesn't change your home county. Would you support meath if you were living in meath?

I don't think someone would be bothered enough to do it in your example, but someone discussing the level of property tax they have to pay could well be.

I don't read his articles

Yet you consider yourself qualified to comment on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yet you consider yourself qualified to comment on them?

I commented on the clickbait headline, not on the article

Not really. Moving to another county doesn't change your home county.

True, but affiliations can change, not that they have to, but they can.

Don't like high property prices? Don't live in Dublin.
    Don't like not winning Sam? Start supporting Dublin.

Both of those seem reasonable approaches to me. YMMV

I commented on the clickbait headline, not on the article

Well not really, you have asserted that he says women are 'not as good' as men, yet this doesn't appear in the headline.

As for 'clickbait', what makes them as such in particular? To me they seem to be normal articles for newspaper headlines on the internet. I would have considered clickbait to be misleading headlines bringing you to topics that aren't as they were represented. However he makes his case as stated in the headline. That isn't clickbait, it's an article.

You just seem at pains to discredit the articles and indeed the man himself, yet you admit not to having read his work. Why would you do that?

• Advertisement

How can they change? I don't see it myself. Maybe you could take us through it?

How can they change? I don't see it myself. Maybe you could take us through it?

You have suggested moving if you don't like the price of housing. I am agreeing with this as a valid approach to the problem.

By extension, if someone wants to know what it feels like to support an All Ireland winning team, then ditch whatever County team is the source of your disappointment, and start supporting the Dubs. You will of course be welcomed by your fellow Dublin fans. Problem solved.

You have suggested moving if you don't like the price of housing. I am agreeing with this as a valid approach to the problem.

By extension, if someone wants to know what it feels like to support an All Ireland winning team, then ditch whatever County team is the source of your disappointment, and start supporting the Dubs. You will of course be welcomed by your fellow Dublin fans. Problem solved.

So you are saying that if meath started winning all Irelands, you would just start supporting meath?

The main difference is there in no tangible cost to your team not winning, only some level of disappointment. If your team wins every all ireland or never wins one, you don't gain or lose a penny. Whereas if you cant afford to pay the property tax, obviously that cannot continue to stay there can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So once again the usual suspect wade in😂 So Spewan, which one are you?
    Enjoy the bitchfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Oldtree wrote: »
    I don't think its just the about the car. Having had a look at the official Dublin GAA sponsors, it appears that a dublin player gets the free car to pick yer on up on a saturday night, a lovely free restaurant to take yer one out too, followed by a rather nice free hotel room (official sleeping partner :) ) to take yer one back too afterwards. No other county gets this level of commitment from sponsors. Its no wonder the Dublin players try so hard and push themselves to their limits. :D

https://www.dublingaa.ie/partners

How unusual is that, a really successful team having a myriad of well known brands offering sponsorship, must be a worldwide first......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

kilns wrote: »
    So which one of the posters is Ewan?:D

I’m guessing MayoareMagic.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Its typical deflection by Dublin GAA people
    don't debate the issue

the financial imbalance in the association is going to ruin the special status of the GAA in most of Ireland

the GAA always had a level playing field (more or less for every county)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭munster87

Did you support Kerry or Tyrone in the 2000s or did you just rotate between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    don't debate the issue

the financial imbalance in the association is going to ruin the special status of the GAA in most of Ireland

Yawn, done to death many times already.

Dublin spend the money from the GAA on youth development, giving kids from many different backgrounds the opportunity to play the great games of football and hurling.

Counties like Mayo spend the money from the GAA on warm weather training camps, expenses, and other subsidies purely for the senior football team. No wonder they fall short.

Great to see all the begrudgers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Dublin spend the money from the GAA on youth development, giving kids from many different backgrounds the opportunity to play the great games of football and hurling.

You see this allows the AIG money (and all the other sponsors money) fund a professional IC Setup, nobody else has the luxury of world class coaching (paid for by GAA) allied to world class facilities already in Dublin which creates a production line of superstar players

A normal county like Mayo can't do both - they have to choose do we back our best ever Senior team 100% or do we hamstring them in competing against the Blue Juggernaut in trying to improve their underage structures

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yawn, done to death many times already.

Counties like Mayo spend the money from the GAA on warm weather training camps, expenses, and other subsidies purely for the senior football team. No wonder they fall short.

Great to see all the begrudgers out there.

You forgot to mention GPS units that the players keep chucking away at the end of games, that’s got to add up to a fair bit, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Yet again a poster accuses Dublin of breaking the fundamental rule of GAA by accusing the team of being professional.

You want to be backing this up boys. If I was legal advisor you'd be in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

http://www.stsylvesters.ie/files/dublin-county-board-accounts-2016/view

Wages over 2 million, expenditure 3.7 million, free meals, free cars , enormous backroom team , but oh no not professional in any way Sir , oh no how dare I suggest such a thing

TrueGael wrote: »

Wages over 2 million, expenditure 3.7 million, free meals, free cars , enormous backroom team , All Ireland Senior Football Champions 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017but oh no not professional in any way Sir , oh no how dare I suggest such a thing

You left a bit out...have you heard that we’re going for 10-in-a-row? 2025 will be a year to look forward to.

TrueGael wrote: »

Wages over 2 million, expenditure 3.7 million, free meals, free cars , enormous backroom team , but oh no not professional in any way Sir , oh no how dare I suggest such a thing

Found the Mayo financial accounts for the same period ending 2016

http://sportlomo-userupload.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded/galleries/21_uploaded/e8b7aecca9d08589245bb531254cbcac2350be71.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Look the figures are meaningless unless you can see the breakdown of spend, and even still you would need to know overall budgets to figure out where the imbalance is.

I would hazard that the smaller counties don't get much more than what's quoted above. Whereas the bigger counties pull in a couple of million more than what is quoted.

Realistically there are probably 3 tiers of teams and the top tier are getting further from the rest. Their wealth helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

don't debate the issue

It was a good conversation on this board a few years ago but why would any sane person debate with the nut jobs now grinding the axe week after week on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

corny wrote: »
    It was a good conversation on this board a few years ago but why would any sane person debate with the nut jobs now grinding the axe week after week on here?

maybe because the Dublin based posters are in complete denial about the actual situation??
    most GAA people down the country are getting very fed up with the preferential funding that Dublin clubs are getting and the huge financial advantage Dublin GAA have due to the 1/3 of the Irish economy being based in Dublin - Dublin probably have more money in in sponsorship than the rest of Leinster
    Then add in the fact that Dublin get to play all their home games in Croke Park, despite Parnell Park allegedly being their home pitch.

I actually remember Roscommon going up to Parnell Park and beating Dublin in the league over a decade ago. I doubt they would do that in Croke Park anytime soon. (if they get back into Div 1)

on top of all this the GAA are over funding the games development program in Dublin compared to other counties. Clubs in towns all over Ireland could only dream of having the access to the 50% funding to appoint a full time coach going into schools and available in the club to assist coaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

maybe because the Dublin based posters are in complete denial about the actual situation??
    most GAA people down the country are getting very fed up with the preferential funding that Dublin clubs are getting and the huge financial advantage Dublin GAA have due to the 1/3 of the Irish economy being based in Dublin - Dublin probably have more money in in sponsorship than the rest of Leinster
    Then add in the fact that Dublin get to play all their home games in Croke Park, despite Parnell Park allegedly being their home pitch.

I actually remember Roscommon going up to Parnell Park and beating Dublin in the league over a decade ago. I doubt they would do that in Croke Park anytime soon. (if they get back into Div 1)

on top of all this the GAA are over funding the games development program in Dublin compared to other counties. Clubs in towns all over Ireland could only dream of having the access to the 50% funding to appoint a full time coach going into schools and available in the club to assist coaches.

Yawn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement