Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin receive millions more than any other county in development grants

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

doc_17 wrote: »
    Want about them? Aren’t they western seaboard counties? Motorway most of the way? Waterford too.

I went to Tramore once when I was little lad, I remember being told it was Trá Mór, big beach. When I went thought it was massive and had a great summer holiday.

I went back 2 years ago, the beach didn’t look that big and it was a right shįtehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Gael85 wrote: »
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    as someone who is trying to get kids to play in school, our club and then to represent the county I feel the clubs and counties outside the top few are being treated with disdain.

and my protest will be not to go near county games anymore.
    especially as the current funding model does nothing to help address the imbalance in resources for the most basic units of the GAA - school and club

I understand your frustrations coming from a small club in Dublin. Surely your county board delegate is raising issues with CB? Surely GAA should be ploughing money into coaching instead of giving millions to GPA.
    club delegates have no power
    look at all the motions thrown out ahead of congress

its full time people who have never been elected who are dictating policy in the GAA. they seem to constantly to make decisions which impact negatively on the average club coach
    coaching and games
    financial and commercial
    dealing with the gpa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

Slattsy wrote: »
    Sorry my sincere apologies. Maybe they could blag a lift with the Donegal lads next time.

Geography was never my strong point.

I’d say geography wouldn’t be alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

sightband wrote: »
    I went to Tramore once when I was little lad, I remember being told it was Trá Mór, big beach. When I went thought it was massive and had a great summer holiday.

I went back 2 years ago, the beach didn’t look that big and it was a right shįtehole.

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

meuidiot wrote: »
    I have yet to see one Dublin supporter try and make a rational defense of the figures posted. It’s either attack the poster “Mayo are whinging, spend too much on sun holidays”, it’s the tinfoil hat brigade or attack the source “Ewan McKenna is anti dubs” despite one poster admitting he’d never even read an article. I’d just love for once to see a true supporter admit they have an embarrassment of advantages going for them. It won’t take away from the fact that the Dublin team are a brilliant group of players with an excellent manager, it would just show you to be a small bit better than a Chelsea fan. If anyone wants to debate these figures by the way I’d be more than happy to engage, no agendas.

So can you explain for all those years prior to 2011?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well think about it AA. Leave the county hat to one side for a second and consider it in a purely scientific manner. Is scraping 1 point wins at the highest level a good return for what they have at their disposal, relative to their competitors? It genuinely isn't.

Think of it as two factories. Surely the end product of the Dublin factory should be much further in front of the other factories? Surely, any fool will be able to tell you in that scenario, that you change the wasteful factory to mimic the productive one, not the other way around? We seem to have brainwashed ourselves into thinking the opposite is true, and that is potentially damaging for the future of the game.

Once again, this post displays the poverty of the inter-county fixation of many posters who are jealous about Dublin.

The aim of the funding for Dublin is to promote life-long participation in GAA among ordinary adults and to increase the number of children playing sport, both of which are designed to improve the country's health.

Whether or not Dublin win All-Irelands has nothing to do with the money, it isn't supposed to help them win All-Irelands. The fact, as you point out so clearly and repeatedly, that they have only won by one point against a team that has repeatedly choked on the biggest occasions, only proves that the money isn't supposed to be for winning All-Irelands.

So long as you keep thinking that winning All-Irelands is the objective, you will continue to fail to understand the issue.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Once again, this post displays the poverty of the inter-county fixation of many posters who are jealous about Dublin.

The aim of the funding for Dublin is to promote life-long participation in GAA among ordinary adults and to increase the number of children playing sport, both of which are designed to improve the country's health.

Whether or not Dublin win All-Irelands has nothing to do with the money, it isn't supposed to help them win All-Irelands. The fact, as you point out so clearly and repeatedly, that they have only won by one point against a team that has repeatedly choked on the biggest occasions, only proves that the money isn't supposed to be for winning All-Irelands.

So long as you keep thinking that winning All-Irelands is the objective, you will continue to fail to understand the issue.
    who's jealous of anything? the last county I'd want to be from is Dublin.
    other counties just want equivalent funding (based on some sort of fair and balanced system) to develop clubs and schools in their counties

why isn't the funding there to promote life long GAA participation among adults and children in other counties?

the special GAA funding for Dublin on started in or around 2000, it took a few years to get the proper system in place. the first children through that system would have been 8/9/10 in the year 2000. initially it was targetted at hurling but both sports have benefitted hugely. Oh, look 9 years later they are winning minor AIs, U21 AIs and Senior AIs. The likes of Cuala would never have won a club AI in hurling without all the support through the coaching funding.

I've nothing against Dublin getting their funding. It needed and needs to be done for the health of the gaa
    HOWEVER, the same opportunities for clubs in other counties should be given. there is plenty of money in the GAA for this.
    anyone who denies that shouldn't be done should just go and follow a premier league club.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Dublin aren't getting enough funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I’ll change the wording from gripe to opinion then. You have repeatedly said Dublin are underperforming, yet when I discuss effectiveness v efficiency which you brought up, you refuse to discuss but again try and play the “you’ve personalised it” The reason people have gone th S route is you’re like a jack Russell with a bone regarding all things Dublin. You’re all over every thread like a cheap suits once it’s about Dublin and finances. As Rafa would say FACT. BTW I’m out of it now so all responses are pointless. See ya Spewan. And I did think it was another poster was him!!!!

Well you seemed to be saying that my 'gripe' looked to be effectiveness v efficiency. To my mind that wasnt what I was really getting at, so to clarify for you, I restated what I was in fact saying.
    Now you are saying Im refusing to discuss effectiveness v efficiency, but what I am in fact saying is that simply wasnt talking about it in the first place.

The guys refusing to discuss anything on this thread, are the dublin lads, who follow the same modus oporandi of attack the poster, talk about anything but Dublin and thank each others posts. The thing is, if they just shut up and let the people who want to discuss it, discuss it, the threads wouldnt descend into these tit-for-tat, narky exchanges, and would most probably be done and dusted long ago.

These are genuine topics in the gaa and people have interest in discussing them. If you dont that is fine, but I do and I will discuss it if the topic arises.

Re spewan, Im guessing this is another poster? Not a clue who that is to be honest with you, and I dont care either. That is just another attack the poster tactic.
    I understand your frustrations coming from a small club in Dublin. Surely your county board delegate is raising issues with CB? Surely GAA should be ploughing money into coaching instead of giving millions to GPA.

I dont have any frustrations man, and nor am I from a small gaa county - my county is flying it to be honest with you. This is simply a discussion on the gaa.

Again, trying to personalise the thing into an attack on the guy saying it. 'You are jealous'. Im not jealous at all to be honest with you. I have never denied that Dublin are the best side, that they are deserving of winning things or anything of the sort. Why do I have to have a personal issue with them? Why cant I just believe the, frankly perfectly reasonable logic, that I am offering you?

Well, if you say so, but immediatly the question jumps out at you - If that is their focus, why are they spending so much of it on their senior intercounty team?
    Also, surely the aim is to promote long-life participation everywhere, not just in 1 county?

Well the stats show that there is a direct correlation between the increase in investment, and Dublin becoming successful. It couldnt be any moe clearcut. They won nothing before it, they won everything after it.
    My point on it was in fact that the level of investment compared to the level of improvement, relative to their competition, is actually not very good. It is a very simple and straighforward assertion. I can only assume that you are avoiding seeing the logic of it on purpose.

Re winning all irelands as an objective, well the fact that I am championing kerry/mayo/tyrone, undermines this point completely. You seem to have a narrative built up in your head, and are trying to fit in my points around that narrative, rather than just reading what in on the screen and taking it at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Well our country isn't called the 'Republic of Dublin' for the fun of it ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

Well you seemed to be saying that my 'gripe' looked to be effectiveness v efficiency. To my mind that wasnt what I was really getting at, so to clarify for you, I restated what I was in fact saying.
    Now you are saying Im refusing to discuss effectiveness v efficiency, but what I am in fact saying is that simply wasnt talking about it in the first place.

The guys refusing to discuss anything on this thread, are the dublin lads, who follow the same modus oporandi of attack the poster, talk about anything but Dublin and thank each others posts. The thing is, if they just shut up and let the people who want to discuss it, discuss it, the threads wouldnt descend into these tit-for-tat, narky exchanges, and would most probably be done and dusted long ago.

These are genuine topics in the gaa and people have interest in discussing them. If you dont that is fine, but I do and I will discuss it if the topic arises.

Re spewan, Im guessing this is another poster? Not a clue who that is to be honest with you, and I dont care either. That is just another attack the poster tactic.

I dont have any frustrations man, and nor am I from a small gaa county - my county is flying it to be honest with you. This is simply a discussion on the gaa.

I was replying to nice guys 80 if you read back there like a good lad or did you forget which account you were logged into? :) for a kerry lad you have a awful chip on your shoulder about Dublin.Your time will come again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Just as a matter of interest, how would Mayo people explain Dublin's superiority in almost all other aspects of Irish life - literature, music, the fight for freedom, boxing, ... almost any thing you could think of really.

All to do with funding was it? They were sent rifles and buried them in case they might have to use them.

I was replying to nice guys 80 if you read back there like a good lad or did you forget which account you were logged into? :) for a kerry lad you have a awful chip on your shoulder about Dublin.Your time will come again :)

Sorry didnt see that.
    As for the attack the poster stuff, I can respond with a post saying you are slattsy/blanch/whoever, but I wont lower myself to that sh*te. It's what people seem to resort to when they have run out of road in their argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

Sorry didnt see that.
    As for the attack the poster stuff, I can respond with a post saying you are slattsy/blanch/whoever, but I wont lower myself to that sh*te. It's what people seem to resort to when they have run out of road in their argument.

Keep dedicating your account to Dublin. It entertaining and you obviously get your amusement from it. Fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭munster87

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, how would Mayo people explain Dublin's superiority in almost all other aspects of Irish life - literature, music, the fight for freedom, boxing, ... almost any thing you could think of really.

All to do with funding was it? They were sent rifles and buried them in case they might have to use them.

Would population have any effect on any of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Just as a matter of interest, how would Mayo people explain Dublin's superiority in almost all other aspects of Irish life - literature, music, the fight for freedom, boxing, ... almost any thing you could think of really..

Your post is petty and beyond the pale. Your post clearly indicates you know little of mayo people and perhaps is indicative of the nub of the problem, a sense of superiority and entitlement.

The only crowd violence I have seen at a match in all my years was at mchale when the dubs visited. Would I be correct to assume that all dubs fans are thugs?

really?
    that is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

This thread has lost all sense of it's direction in relation to the original thread title and is in danger of descending into a car crash.

Please do not allow this to descend into another Dublin v Mayo one upmanship.

So rather than lock the thread,resulting in all posters unfairly been penalised.This can considered a final warning to those involved to cut out any derisory comments.Attack the post not the poster.Failing that you will be carded and banned from posting in the thread again.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mod Note

This thread has lost all sense of it's direction in relation to the original thread title and is in danger of descending into a car crash.

Please do Not allow this to descend into another Dublin v Mayo one upmanship.

So rather than lock the thread,resulting in all posters unfairly been penalised.This can considered a final warning to those involved to cut out any derisory comments.Attack the post not the poster.Failing that you will be carded and banned from posting in the thread again.

Thanks

I've corrected that for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mod Note

Please not do allow this to descend into another Dublin v Mayo one upmanship.

Thanks

Thats some good modding seligehgit. Settling in well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

There seems to be two points here. 1. Dublin are over funded. 2. With all the funding, population, resources etc they are underperforming. Which one are we discussing? Is it about Snr inter county or funding at grass roots?? Again clarification would be great as some posters like to move the goal posts when it suits them, that and the play the man!!!! Some very sensitive craturs!!!!!!

There seems to be two points here. 1. Dublin are over funded. 2. With all the funding, population, resources etc they are underperforming. Which one are we discussing? Is it about Snr inter county or funding at grass roots?? Again clarification would be great as some posters like to move the goal posts when it suits them, that and the play the man!!!! Some very sensitive craturs!!!!!!

Why cant both be addressed? They are both relevant.

I stand over the assertion that on the face of it, Dublin are not in fact performing well elative to their competition, and that 'pound for pound' shall we say, they are well off the top performers

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

Mods any chance you could close this nonsense of a thread ?

Mods any chance you could close this nonsense of a thread ?

if you aren't interested then can you just leave it to those that are?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

if you aren't interested then can you just leave it to those that are?

The only thing your interested in is jumping on anything to do with Dublin.
    very sad indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Why cant both be addressed? They are both relevant.

I stand over the assertion that on the face of it, Dublin are not in fact performing well elative to their competition, and that 'pound for pound' shall we say, they are well off the top performers

You see I asked for clarification as I was unsure what you wanted to debate, it in obvious to all even your own county men that you do have an issue withDublin as against funding. I’ll leave it at that. Thanks for your clarification on that.

You see I asked for clarification as I was unsure what you wanted to debate, it in obvious to all even your own county men that you do have an issue withDublin as against funding. I’ll leave it at that. Thanks for your clarification on that.

Im sure your own county men can see that you, and a few more, seem intent on being here yet refuse to engage in the debate. Why post on it at all if you dont want to engage on the topic?

Re my opinions on dublin, i think the issues outlined deserve discussion, absolutely. Im open to someone pointing out where my view is incorrect and making some valid counter arguments. Nobody seems to want to though. You would imagine if i was just biased then they would be queueing up to put me right and it would be done with ease. By all means, do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

My comment re literature etc was facetious. I will no longer comment on this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Im sure your own county men can see that you, and a few more, seem intent on being here yet refuse to engage in the debate. Why post on it at all if you dont want to engage on the topic?

because you seem to talking through that long dark brown passage that resides and ends between your ass cheeks? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement