Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

• 06-02-2018 9:36pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Oh happy day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Curious.

Will be interesting to see what they can do.

Hopefully Kathleen Kennedy has zero creative input.

This could quickly lead to Star Wars overload though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are these guys good writers? The best parts of GOT came from the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Would be nice if they were let off the hook to do an 18/R rated Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not sure how they can put sexposition into the Star Wars universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Based on some rudimentary arithmetic, no currently living person will be alive to see the release of the last currently planned Star Wars film, which is due sometime in the mid-2200s (compared to Marvel, which is currently mapped out until the turn of the millennium).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Based on some rudimentary arithmetic, no currently living person will be alive to see the release of the last currently planned Star Wars film, which is due sometime in the mid-2200s (compared to Marvel, which is currently mapped out until the turn of the millennium).

Audiences will get sick of both long before then.

Good bye Kenobi...it was a dream. I hope you get your moment someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Old Republic ? of course not .

There will be too much Star Wars eventually and will just become hated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

There are now two distinct types of Star Wars fans:

BC - (Before Cash-in), aka Old Testament
    AD - (After Disney), aka New Testament

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Talk about over-saturation...

Yes, these guys seem to be pretty good at handling massive projects, but another trilogy of films is going to take Star Wars from being special to (dare I say it) Marvel-esque.

So, Rian's trilogy, Benioff + Weiss trilogy (presumably) and also a Kenobi film to wrap up this anthology series? It will all blend into one big mess, but why would Disney care, they will only hear the sound of cash registers being worked up every 6 months at this rate.

One look at Marvel's release schedule since Iron Man shows Disney aimed for two Marvel films every year since 2012/2013. This has since increased to three films every year. I think it is safe to say that Disney plans on doing the same with Star Wars.

Star Wars fatigue... never thought it could happen, but Disney does like to break new ground and challenge people... :pac:

This image is how Disney views the Star Wars franchise. Apathetic, tired, unwilling to resist or complain - primed for milking and far, far, too easy.

440940.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Be interested to see where they go with this, infinite universe and time lines so could do pretty much anything.
    Maybe they picked them to do a GOT style multi story approach.

Falthyron wrote: »
    This image is how Disney views the Star Wars franchise. Apathetic, tired, unwilling to resist or complain - primed for milking and far, far, too easy.

440940.JPG

Resist. Don’t go see anymore of their films!! Hide from the mouse nazis holding a gun to your head! Fly Fievel!! Fly!!

I just wish it featured different characters, a different story-line, and a different time period.

Also you. Just a few hours ago.

david75 wrote: »
    Also you. Just a few hours ago.

Different context, David. My argument in this thread refers to oversaturation. Having two or three Star Wars films every year is a bad thing. It dilutes the magic of anticipation, excitement, and what I fear most of all will happen: the overall quality. Would you not prefer a more infrequent release schedule allowing you time to digest the previous one? Or do you want to be force fed one film after the other until they all become a giant blur? Are you unaware of the fatigue currently being experienced by film fans with the super hero films? Do you want people tired of yet another Star Wars film in conjunction with the planned live series, and how many other cartoon series, books, comics, etc.

Too much of a good thing spoils what is good about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've managed to see all 9 live action movies in the cinema but I know it won't be too long before I break that streak.

Usually I've no issue with unnecessary reboots, sequels or spinoffs but the inevitable over saturation that's on the horizon is going to be difficult to take on the chin.

Different context, David. My argument in this thread refers to oversaturation. Having two or three Star Wars films every year is a bad thing. It dilutes the magic of anticipation, excitement, and what I fear most of all will happen: the overall quality. Would you not prefer a more infrequent release schedule allowing you time to digest the previous one? Or do you want to be force fed one film after the other until they all become a giant blur? Are you unaware of the fatigue currently being experienced by film fans with the super hero films? Do you want people tired of yet another Star Wars film in conjunction with the planned live series, and how many other cartoon series, books, comics, etc.

Dig up.

You’re tired of it maybe. Or clearly.
    The biggest franchise of the last 40 years seems ready to go.
    Now announced multiple Star Wars tv series coming our way.

But yeah Disney/LFL don’t know anything about marketing and have gotten this wrong and people are tired already.

I hope you’re right Falthyron. I really don’t want the best writers and creators in the business forcing me to watch more Star Wars content.

https://twitter.com/starwarsnewsnet/status/961003741586558976

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've a feeling after the fan drubbing the Last Jedi got that the GOT guys are really taking over the Rian Johnson Trilogy but to help him save face its being framed as a seperate new trilogy but then Johnson will pull out of his trilogy for 'personal reasons' and it'll be 'cancelled' leaving only the GOT guys trilogy.

$1.3 billion is not a drubbing. In any universe.

KOTOR?? Looks like it

During a earnings call with Bob Iger, Iger revealed that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss turned down the show runner position for the upcoming live action Star Wars TV series in favor of the films they’ll be working on. They asked to work in a particular time period in the Star Wars universe.

“Their interest was in creating a series of films that are Star Wars based, we’ve been talking to them for a long time,” Iger said. “They’re focused on a point in time in Star Wars mythology and we’re taking it from there.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The fatigue that has Black Panther with the highest pre-sold tickets for any Marvel movie ever? Marvel don't have a issue with superhero fatigue, aside from online moaning, because they've slowly and carefully built a characters and a world that the public care about and want to see. I have full faith Disney will do similar with Star Wars as it expands.

I wouldn't call myself any sort of super fan but I do love Star Wars and read some of the old cannon books over the years. I looked at what was out there, and was in the pipeline, picked a series and read it. I didn't piss and moan that there was more books than what I could or interested in consuming. I don't see how the new cannon leveraging movie and TV in a similar fashion is any different. If you want to keep your anticipation of Star Wars then pick one of the trilogies and don't go to the others. It really isn't difficult.

I also disagree on your concerns about quality and see it as increasing the chances of different takes and opportunities for different creative views and risks. What do you think will have more shackles put on it, a franchise that releasing a movie once every 2/3 years or one that releases twice a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The fatigue that has Black Panther with the highest pre-sold tickets for any Marvel movie ever? Marvel don't have a issue with superhero fatigue, aside from online moaning, because they've slowly and carefully built a characters and a world that the public care about and want to see. I have full faith Disney will do similar with Star Wars as it expands.

I wouldn't call myself any sort of super fan but I do love Star Wars and read some of the old cannon books over the years. I looked at what was out there, and was in the pipeline, picked a series and read it. I didn't piss and moan that there was more books than what I could or interested in consuming. I don't see how the new cannon leveraging movie and TV in a similar fashion is any different. If you want to keep your anticipation of Star Wars then pick one of the trilogies and don't go to the others. It really isn't difficult.

I also disagree on your concerns about quality and see it as increasing the chances of different takes and opportunities for different creative views and risks. What do you think will have more shackles put on it, a franchise that releasing a movie once every 2/3 years or one that releases twice a year?

Taking IMDB score as example:

Force Awakens 8.0
    Rogue one 7.8
    The last jedi 7.5

That's about right IMO and not a good trend, at the start....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Taking IMDB score as example:

Force Awakens 8.0
    Rogue one 7.8
    The last jedi 7.5

That's about right IMO and not a good trend, at the start....

Can't help but feel the online reaction to TLJ is going to skew that IMDB score. People who hate it are far more likely to vote it down than people who thought it was fine or enjoyed it. IMDB isn't a great barometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I find your lack of faith disturbing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Supposedly Bob Iger also revealed Disney were working on a whole bunch of Star Wars TV shows for their streaming app; no details yet but the whole streaming venture by Disney is a weird one. They have a HUGE catalogue to call on, but at the same time it's not exhaustive and the market is already massively bloated. There are bound to be some casualties in the whole Streaming industry, and I can't help but feel Disney & Apple are coming in too late in the game to make the kind of waves they're hoping for. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are the big 3 here. Apple in particular feels vulnerable.

As for the subject matter? Well, honestly? David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are hugely overrated. They lucked out adapting Game of Thrones, becoming the cult-like obsession that it is is but they're not that great IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Given that Disney control Star Wars now and it's highly unlikely, but I just hope that they're allowed to take a more serious, mature tone. I'm not expecting Game of Thrones levels of maturity, but something that's allowed to be dark and brooding. Then again, maybe it's why they hired Benioff and Weiss, to do exactly that.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Supposedly Bob Iger also revealed Disney were working on a whole bunch of Star Wars TV shows for their streaming app; no details yet but the whole streaming venture by Disney is a weird one. They have a HUGE catalogue to call on, but at the same time it's not exhaustive and the market is already massively bloated. There are bound to be some casualties in the whole Streaming industry, and I can't help but feel Disney & Apple are coming in too late in the game to make the kind of waves they're hoping for. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are the big 3 here. Apple in particular feels vulnerable.

People said the same when Apple entered music streaming. Apple Music is now growing twice as fast as Spotify who still haven’t turned a profit. Apple also have a massive pile of cashing burning a hole in their pocket. They could buy Netflix or even Disney if they wanted. They don’t but getting content isn’t a problem.

Advertisement