Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

Am I right in saying there used to be a 1million jackpot every month in the Prizebonds years ago rather than twice yearly now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

amacca wrote: »
    Am I right in saying there used to be a 1million jackpot every month in the Prizebonds years ago rather than twice yearly now?

Prizebond prize fund is based on market interest rates.

With interest rate currently at 0.05% and many government bonds in Europe attracting negative interest rates, the prize fund operates at about 0.5% as prizes.

If European interest rates go to 6%, then there will be 12 times the current prize fund total - but if rates were at that level, it would probably mean inflation would be similar. And when interest rates were close to that, there were monthly million euro winners.

As probably mentioned elsewhere - prize bonds are NOT for those hoping to win a big prize. It forms part of an investment portfolio that attracts no interest, but the capital amount is guaranteed.

If you win a few prizes, that's a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Prizebond prize fund is based on market interest rates.

With interest rate currently at 0.05% and many government bonds in Europe attracting negative interest rates, the prize fund operates at about 0.5% as prizes.

If European interest rates go to 6%, then there will be 12 times the current prize fund total - but if rates were at that level, it would probably mean inflation would be similar. And when interest rates were close to that, there were monthly million euro winners.

As probably mentioned elsewhere - prize bonds are NOT for those hoping to win a big prize. It forms part of an investment portfolio that attracts no interest, but the capital amount is guaranteed.

If you win a few prizes, that's a bonus.

Ah...thank you for the info.........as you correctly guessed I had assumed the payouts had simply been reduced due to cost saving measures etc

Nice to know the rationale behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Logo wrote: »
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    I'm still a bit mystified why NTMA don't advertise a million twice a year though.
    They don't advertise as such, but they do ''press releases'' http://www.statesavings.ie/Prizebonds/Pages/PressReleases.aspx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

how are you informed or contacted if you win anything, or is it up to you to check? I had some bought for me when I was born in the 70's but have never heard a whimper

They will make contact at the address they were bought for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Another 50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

how are you informed or contacted if you win anything, or is it up to you to check? I had some bought for me when I was born in the 70's but have never heard a whimper

As said correspondence would go to whatever address they have for you as a Bond holder. if this hasn't been updated then it will be the one from the 70's.

If you haven't opted to have any prizes paid straight into a bank account this would include a cheque (though I'm guessing the big prizes have to be collected in person).

If you know what numbers your bonds are you can register at the website and check them against any unclaimed prizes.

https://www.statesavings.ie/prizebondsapp/BondTracker/Default.aspx

You can also contact them to update your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭carrickbawn

Still nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Same :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

No Joy.
    Weeks since last win: 7

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Advertisement

Nothing now for over 4 months, last win 22nd September 2017 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

€50 for us this week. First win since 6th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

nothing today for me, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Nothing on my €25. Must have them 2 years.

Feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Negative_G wrote: »
    Well holy god. €50.

Winnings on 26th January 2018: €50
    Last win 29th September 2017: €50
    Previous win 23rd June 2017: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €1,050
    Total winnings since Oct 2016 on €20k: €50

Well holy god - Again. Another €50. Two weeks in a row.

Winnings on 2nd February 2018: €50
    Last win 26th January 2018: €50
    Previous win 29th September 2017: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €1,100

That'll be that now until mid 2018 knowing my luck!

Your luck is better than mine, total wins on 50k since Sep 2015 €850euro, €450euro on 20k, €400euro on 30k since June 2016, nothing on 10k since purchase Sep 2017.
    Co Fermanagh the unlucky county is holding it's record, the only county that won nothing, I better keep me mouth shut, the last time I said this, it won €50,000euro the following week, that's about 3 weeks ago:eek:

Some highlights over the pond this month in premium bonds:

-a woman with just £10k in bonds has just won a million quid (although she has held them for 15 years)
    -someone in Glasgow with a total holding of £4 (yes four pounds) got £25k ( but held since 1964)

max holding seems to be just £50k per person though for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You are due 5 wins in the year starting 1 August 2017 given average luck. So far you have 3 ? in the last 18 ? draws. So you will probably get a couple more. Another 25 draws to go.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Your luck is better than mine, total wins on 50k since Sep 2015 €850euro, €450euro on 20k, €400euro on 30k since June 2016, nothing on 10k since purchase Sep 2017.
    Co Fermanagh the unlucky county is holding it's record, the only county that won nothing, I better keep me mouth shut, the last time I said this, it won €50,000euro the following week, that's about 3 weeks ago:eek:

2015 was pretty good returns wise. I cant remember exactly but Im sure the %rate dropped quite a bit about 6-9 months after I bought that February which might explain the difference between our €50k batches.

Perhaps if someone has a list of the rate changes over the last few years they could post it to see if it possibly correlates.
    You are due 5 wins in the year starting 1 August 2017 given average luck. So far you have 3 ? in the last 18 ? draws. So you will probably get a couple more. Another 25 draws to go.

This week (Feb 2nd) would have been my third win since September 2017. I hope your predictions are correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Well its looking like a bit of a crash in equities if this carries on, the time might be approaching to dump these useless bonds and go bargain hunting...

• Advertisement

Is there an upper limit to how many bonds you can buy on the State Saving website in any one purchase?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

Is there an upper limit to how many bonds you can buy on the State Saving website in any one purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I could be wrong but if buying online I think the limit is €1500
    €250K is the total amount a single person can buy from a post office

I could be wrong but if buying online I think the limit is €1500
    €250K is the total amount a single person can buy from a post office

Not that I have 250K on my credit card!

thanks Agent Smyth :)

No Joy.

Weeks since last win: 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

:(:(:(:(:(:(

nothing as usual :(

The 50k winner looks like a recent enough bond - well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

dosebier wrote: »
    nothing as usual :(

The 50k winner looks like a recent enough bond - well done to them.
    Or the fund manager!

Nothing today.

I think I've asked this before but how quickly does it take for certs to arrive.

My experience to date has been:

Win on friday draw

Following Tuesday - receive notification letter

Following Thursday - receive prize bond cert

My last win was Feb 2nd and I have received the notification letter, but no prize bond cert.

Anyone have a similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing today.

I think I've asked this before but how quickly does it take for certs to arrive.

My experience to date has been:

Win on friday draw

Following Tuesday - receive notification letter

Following Thursday - receive prize bond cert

My last win was Feb 2nd and I have received the notification letter, but no prize bond cert.

Anyone have a similar experience?

I think we will nominate you as the current expert from among us who reinvest. I have had no wins since Oct 6 2017. When I was winning fairly regularly, sometimes the letter and the bond came the same day. More usually a day or two apart, in the week after the draw.

I wouldn't worry about a small delay, and the letter tells you what to do in the event of non receipt of the bond. None of mine were ever lost.

Advertisement