Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

@Negative_G.
    Threatening on boards.ie to cash in all your bonds increases the odds of a win.

PS I'm getting rid of ALL my bonds if i don't win next week ;)

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Probably a common experience but don't despair. According to the odds worked out by Agent Smyth you will get 5 wins in ever 52 draws given average luck. 16 draws since you won.

Yes very common experience, nothing since 22nd September 2017 on total 60k. €50 euro on 20k batch 22nd September 2017.
    €50 euro on 30k batch 11th August 2017.
    Nothing won yet on 10k batch purchased September 2017.

Good day for the Old Timers today. Five winners out of the first million bonds issued, in the 1950's. I hope they are still around to enjoy their windfall.

Prize Value Winning Bond County
    50 169232 DUBLIN
    50 203279 KERRY
    50 203306 CORK
    50 507029 DUBLIN
    50 804305 WATERFORD

There were none out of the next three million. I checked and there are a lot of unclaimed prizes / uncashed prize cheques belonging to bonds from back then. After 60 years it must be time for Prize Bonds to do something about those ancient bonds.

This calculator works out how much an investment is worth long term. At 60 years £5 (€6.35) is worth €20.83 at 2% compound. At 4% it is €66.80. So not a bad return for their investment.

http://www.buyupside.com/calculators/buyupsidecompundinterestdec07.htm
    That calculator doesn't take into account the very high interest rates from the 1970s and 80s.
    I had an old post office book from 1979 with a fiver still in it, in 2003 after 23 years the dormant account section in An Post wrote to me informing me it was worth €165.40 in compound interest.
    Now if that was a prize bond, it would be still only worth a fiver or €6.35.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,865 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    That calculator doesn't take into account the very high interest rates from the 1970s and 80s.
    I had an old post office book from 1979 with a fiver still in it, in 2003 after 23 years the dormant account section in An Post wrote to me informing me it was worth €165.40 in compound interest.

I have a vague notion that interest rates were low for a long number of years until the high inflation of the 70's and 80's, and they have been low for a number of years recently. So I just picked random numbers over 60 years of 2% and 4%. I have no doubt that a fiver invested in 1957 when it was a weeks' wages could be worth a weeks' wages today. But then your fiver would not have been entered into thousands of draws, with up to 10,000 prizes at times.

I ran the calculator for a fiver over 25 years at 12% which produced a figure of 80. I can't see how your fiver could be worth 165. Was there other money in the account previously which you never got interest on? PO Saving Bank never paid big interest, unlike say Savings Certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

Today I just invested all my savings into prize bonds, just out of curiosity, would people usually do this? Like apart from a bank account, would people throw all their savings into this? I just did it because it’s probably better than getting about a euro a year with the small savings I have lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I have a vague notion that interest rates were low for a long number of years until the high inflation of the 70's and 80's, and they have been low for a number of years recently. So I just picked random numbers over 60 years of 2% and 4%. I have no doubt that a fiver invested in 1957 when it was a weeks' wages could be worth a weeks' wages today. But then your fiver would not have been entered into thousands of draws, with up to 10,000 prizes at times.

I ran the calculator for a fiver over 25 years at 12% which produced a figure of 80. I can't see how your fiver could be worth 165. Was there other money in the account previously which you never got interest on? PO Saving Bank never paid big interest, unlike say Savings Certs.

Not sure how it works but I had £33 in an UK Post office account from 1977 and today it is worth £288 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

adamob544 wrote:
    Today I just invested all my savings into prize bonds, just out of curiosity, would people usually do this? Like apart from a bank account, would people throw all their savings into this? I just did it because it’s probably better than getting about a euro a year with the small savings I have lol

It's an alternative to a deposit account.

I can't see how your fiver could be worth 165. Was there other money in the account previously which you never got interest on? PO Saving Bank never paid big interest, unlike say Savings Certs.

In 1979 I closed my PO account, withdrew my savings and opened a building society account as I intended to save for a disposit for a house at the time.
    But unknown to me there was still IR5 in the account, then in 2003 Post Office Savings wrote to my old address (lucky my brother was still living there) informing me of this dormant account as 23 years interest was now worth €165.40, so rather close the account I decided to reactivate the account and now when I have a €50 win in PBs I lodge the cheque in the Post Office account, I would have been foolish to close that account as it's so differcult to open an account these days, the amount of interest did pleasantly surprised me at the time.
    Now saving certs, I had a great experience with those, the 10th issue was the best, 61% interest over 5 years, we'll never see those days again.
    In the current climate with interest rates at nearly zero, and my age, I'II take the gamble on PBs, but twice a year at a chance of a million, is hard to take, still the Friday feeling is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭amacca

Do you get notified if you win something on Prizebonds.....or is it up to you to check?

amacca wrote: »
    Do you get notified if you win something on Prizebonds.....or is it up to you to check?

You get a letter.

https://www.statesavings.ie/PrizebondsApp/Results/Default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

adamob544 wrote: »
    Well, they won't do much else in pbs, unless you're lotto-level-lucky and you'll win €50 (depending on your interpretation of the word 'small') :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Even the highest Interest rates over that period did not average 16% pa, which is what you'd need to compound €5 to 165. Even taking IR£ to euro leaves the interest rate well above PO rates at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭carrickbawn

Same here.. Still nothing 8 months later.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Logo

A top weekly prize of €50,000 is awarded each week...
    After 40+ years on planet earth I've yet to hear or meet anyone who's won any significant amount (besides myself who won 50 euro five years ago).

The top prize of €1,000,000 is awarded in the last draw of June and December:)
    I would love to hear from anyone who knows of millionaires from prize bonds (and € invested)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

..6 days ago...
    Negative_G wrote: »
    Nothing since September 29th on €70k.

Well holy god. €50.

Winnings on 26th January 2018: €50
    Last win 29th September 2017: €50
    Previous win 23rd June 2017: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €1,050
    Total winnings since Oct 2016 on €20k: €50

Logo wrote: »
    After 40+ years on planet earth I've yet to hear or meet anyone who's won any significant amount (besides myself who won 50 euro five years ago).

I would love to hear from anyone who knows of millionaires from prize bonds (and € invested)...

I don't find that in any way surprising. I don't know anyone who won 50K or more either. I have no reason to think that any of them would contact me to let me know.

I did win €1,000 twice, in 2010 and 2015 which I posted about before.

I don't find that in any way surprising. I don't know anyone who won 50K or more either. I have no reason to think that any of them would contact me to let me know.

Maybe I'm living in a fairly newsy town. I just expected that winning 50K or becoming a millionaire overnight might be something that would make the local grapevine. Congrats on your wins and I hope more to follow!

26th Jan 2018:
    "Lucky man wins €250K on the Lotto ten years after mother scoops same prize"
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/lucky-man-wins-250k-on-the-lotto-ten-years-after-mother-scoops-same-prize-36534269.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I know somebody (wasn't me) who won 20k, and they weren't bullsh1tting.
    Today fo me :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

Nothing from me either - got a new set of bonds which have kicked in this week too. (AJO series now for Jan 2018)

As for the big winners - I'd wish Prize bonds could share some info on them without revealing identity or even have them release a statement or something.
    Even lottery winners who dont go public - we usually get a brief bit of info about what they will do with the money, how much it means to them what a difference it might make etc
    what harm could it be to drum up some background to the winner to share with everyone that gives us all hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Nothing for me today - 26/1/18
    €50 last Friday - 19/1/18

You won't hear from anybody that has won the top prize, they keep it quiet, I know I would, I'd tell nobody, but I've always said if I did strike the jackpot in respect to my PB friends here, I would post my good news here after all I'm only known here as Sligo Quay.

Nothing for me today, there is definitely a famine in prize bond wins, last win for me 22nd September 2017.

dosebier wrote: »
    Nothing from me either - got a new set of bonds which have kicked in this week too. (AJO series now for Jan 2018)

As for the big winners - I'd wish Prize bonds could share some info on them without revealing identity or even have them release a statement or something.
    Even lottery winners who dont go public - we usually get a brief bit of info about what they will do with the money, how much it means to them what a difference it might make etc
    what harm could it be to drum up some background to the winner to share with everyone that gives us all hope.

Someone in Laois won 50K today with a bond from about four years back. Does that give you any cause for hope? I have been checking the results for about ten years and I'm pretty sure that nobody from Louth (or Monaghan or Cavan) ever won 50K, never mind a million. It doesn't matter to me because it does not have any influence on the odds in future draws. If people want to make themselves known that's fine, but Prize Bonds make a point of the process being confidential.

Maybe at some future time when State Savings are looking for money they will do some advertising. At the moment they don't want any more money coming in.

Prize Bond winners are automatically contacted following each draw. In order to ensure the confidentiality and security of the prizes, winners are contacted by post in a plain envelope.

What holding have you got, if you don't mind me asking, I've 60k, a 10k batch, 20k batch and 30k batch and 100 bonds from the 1980s, a total of 9,700 prize bonds, no joy on big wins :(

What holding have you got, if you don't mind me asking, I've 60k, a 10k batch, 20k batch and 30k batch and 100 bonds from the 1980s, a total of 9,700 prize bonds, no joy on big wins :(

I won't answer that but I posted before about someone in Kildare with a holding worth millions. Check the SL series winners in any draw. I have never seen them win anything more that €50.

But then someone in Fermanagh won 50K a few weeks ago. With only 520 €1K prizes every year out of 500 million bonds, it is just random luck for anyone with less than a holding of tens of millions probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Zilch again this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

Someone in Laois won 50K today with a bond from about four years back. Does that give you any cause for hope? I have been checking the results for about ten years and I'm pretty sure that nobody from Louth (or Monaghan or Cavan) ever won 50K, never mind a million. It doesn't matter to me because it does not have any influence on the odds in future draws. If people want to make themselves known that's fine, but Prize Bonds make a point of the process being confidential.

Maybe at some future time when State Savings are looking for money they will do some advertising. At the moment they don't want any more money coming in.

Prize Bond winners are automatically contacted following each draw. In order to ensure the confidentiality and security of the prizes, winners are contacted by post in a plain envelope.

I only have a very small holding myself compared to many on here, so odds are i'll not win anything soon. But its all random and i just look forward to Friday after work to click and see if i won anything and see it as a bit of risk free fun.
    I think you are right, they are content with the amount raised and dont need to go after more funding whereas the lotto make a point of getting as much media attention as possible to drive up demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

how are you informed or contacted if you win anything, or is it up to you to check? I had some bought for me when I was born in the 70's but have never heard a whimper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Maybe I'm living in a fairly newsy town. I just expected that winning 50K or becoming a millionaire overnight might be something that would make the local grapevine. Congrats on your wins and I hope more to follow!

26th Jan 2018:
    "Lucky man wins €250K on the Lotto ten years after mother scoops same prize"
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/lucky-man-wins-250k-on-the-lotto-ten-years-after-mother-scoops-same-prize-36534269.html

You think someone's going to go mad on 50k?

Seriously?

Lottery is different. They pay out about 55% in prizes, 30% to causes and 15% in admin. - But you have to "invest" every week.

Prize bonds pay nothing to charities, pay miniscule amount in admin (no commission to retailers or expensive daily advertising) and less than 1% in prizes.
    But your ticket is valid for every draw and can be "sold back" at full value at anytime.

Quite substantially different to a lottery ticket. - Not even slightly comparable. Best comparison is a bank 7 day notice account.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You think someone's going to go mad on 50k?

Seriously?

No, but it might be a decent start for a mortgage. I'm still a bit mystified why NTMA don't advertise a million twice a year though.

Advertisement