Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenway Map

• 30-01-2018 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I've developed a tentative 'Greenway Map' of Ireland, listing all officially completed, planned or under construction, and proposed greenways. In addition it has a selection of 'Potential' greenways, mostly along old railway alignments. Let me know what you think of it.

Greenway Map of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Looks class didnt know I had a green way so close to me!

Thanks for doing the work and sharing it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rivermansteve

Any idea when you will be able to cycle athlone/dublin 100% on greenways? I heard 2018??

As far as I recall there's one proposed / in planning between Drogheda and Mornington not on the map there.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/major-boost-as-consultants-confirmed-for-iconic-85km-boyneside-trail-project-from-mornington-to-drogheda-35375741.html

Not sure were the project stands currently.

Would be fantastic if they extended the one to Oldbridge out to Newgrange or even out to Slane and did some work on the stretch between the park in Drogheda and where the path meets the road further on, it's narrow in spots and the surface wasn't great when I walked it a couple of weeks ago, sections were very muddy and covered in decaying reeds after some possible flooding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i believe there's a planning application in for one encirling the lakes at blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is the Ballymahon to Tarmonbarry section in progress or just at a planning stage?
    I wouldn't mind taking a spin around Athlone to Mullingar and back to Tarmon. It would be a nice loop and easy enough for people to collect you at the finish.

Huge potential in Ireland for cycling tourism and for bnbs and hostels to cater for people.

Massive amount of people retiring/retired around Europe and beyond and with plenty of cash to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Any idea when you will be able to cycle athlone/dublin 100% on greenways? I heard 2018??

More likely to be Maynooth to Athlone in 2018 but there may be a shortish section not finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Great map. I think there's an existing greenway running alongside the river Shannon from Limerick City out to UL. In the map it's just 'potential' (purple). Maybe it doesn't meet Greenway specifications yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Great work

The Old Claremorris-Ballinrobe line has been looked at in the past and would require serious financial incentive to those landowners who now have the land.
    Sligo -Athenry is shamefully being blocked by Mayo+Galway Co.Cos. as they support the pipe dream Western Rail Corridor. Irish Rail are happy to hand it over.
    There is a bridge being replaced to Rail capability following road realignment due to the motorway at a cost that would pay for a full feasibility study .While the old line embankment falls apart all along the route .

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Is the Ballymahon to Tarmonbarry section in progress or just at a planning stage?

Update in the Royal Canal thread - 6 weeks til complete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the Dublin sections are the problem, everything else should be done this year iirc.
    http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/18/royal-canal-greenway-in-dublin-city-delayed-by-nearly-a-year/

good bit of relevant discussion here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

thanks for that.

I didn't know about the "dodder greenway" which is quite close to me. I often cycle through the dodder riverbank park - which is basically finished rather than proposed btw, but does not extend past old bawn road. Handy way to cross teh m50.

Shared with pedestrians & dog walkers and there are 2 gates you need to lift bike through.

Is the dodder greenway suitable for road bikes or is it MTB? I must have a look at it. Is it steep? Tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You can already do it off-road. Some sections of the Royal Canal are not 'greenway' yet but they're navigable by bike anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Amazing work - thanks a mil for doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I know you had it on a joined thread before as below, but yes its a good idea to keep it separate. I just wish there could be quicker progress on these greenways. The country is a perfect size for it, and such a great landscape. Perhaps it would be good to identify each green way with sites to see, a bit like a luas start/destination with the intermediate stops with the sites to see.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105187379

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great work OP, thanks

Actually thinking about it you have a captive audience here OP. if possible you could likely get up-to-date info on the surface type of many the routes on the map and include that info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that there is also this https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=6/53.625/-7.339&layers=C - zoom to show more details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Thud

Fian wrote: »

Is the dodder greenway suitable for road bikes or is it MTB? I must have a look at it. Is it steep? Tarmac?

It's doable on a road bike, it's part paved, part gravel, pretty flat one small ramp at the dam, generally a lot of walkers and dogs on it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Looks Brilliant, but one you start to click the potential and proposed routes, it quite a different story.

There is some difference between what we do have and what we could/should have.....Our policy makers should back these proposed and potential routes. The advantages are too many to list here.....it would be a much better country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Carrigaline-Crosshaven has been completed with a while now.
    Timoleague-Courtmacsherry runs mostly on the public road margin and is signposted.

A portion of Thurles-Clonmel is open as a dirt track/bog trail at Abbeyleix.

There is a portion of the Shillelagh branch open purely as a walking trail, bikes prohibited, although I did see someone ignoring the notices and chancing their arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Thanks for all the comments folks, I'll go through the suggestions so far and try to update everything, I am relying on people telling me what is missing and whatever scant articles and plans I can dig up online to keep it updated.
    Carrigaline-Crosshaven has been completed with a while now.
    Timoleague-Courtmacsherry runs mostly on the public road margin and is signposted.

A portion of Thurles-Clonmel is open as a dirt track/bog trail at Abbeyleix.

There is a portion of the Shillelagh branch open purely as a walking trail, bikes prohibited, although I did see someone ignoring the notices and chancing their arm.

How well segregated is the section from Timoleague to Courtmacsherry? I'm trying to limit it to true 'Greenways' with minimal road sections and adequate 'Cycleways' with full road segregation.

Updated the map with the Crosshaven trail, don't know how I missed that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm trying to limit it to true 'Greenways' with minimal road sections and adequate 'Cycleways' with full road segregation.
    I was wondering about the definition, as the likes of the trails around the Vartry Reservoir in Roundwood (circa 15km at the moment, and I think they've funding to finish off so it'll be over 20km with all but about 1.5km off road), and even the Avonmore Way from Trooperstown are fine on cx bikes.

Is there an official award/ criteria for Greenways, as if so, I'd even suggest that to our community council regarding the Vartry ones.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I was wondering about the definition, as the likes of the trails around the Vartry Reservoir in Roundwood (circa 15km at the moment, and I think they've funding to finish off so it'll be over 20km with all but about 1.5km off road), and even the Avonmore Way from Trooperstown are fine on cx bikes.

Is there an official award/ criteria for Greenways, as if so, I'd even suggest that to our community council regarding the Vartry ones.

I'm not sure if there is an official award, there are EU criteria for what constitutes a satisfactory route for EuroVelo routes I think, which would probably be a good standard to aim for.

I'd consider it a Greenway if you could cycle it on a standard road bike as a complete cycling novice, either a bound tarmacked surface or unbound fine gravel surface (not ideal though). Specifically one that doesn't ban cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Great work by the OP.

Regarding the 'Potential beside Active Railway' marked trails. These are still effectively mainline railway lines. I don't know how they might be considered potential greenways in the short term. Removing them would clear up the map a little bit and leave only those greenways that are finished/under construction/planned etc.

If anything, the map shows how grossly under prioritised cycling is.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

The Great Southern Trail in Limerick is a fantastic resource that doesn't seem to have any national profile. I did the section from Templeglantin to Abbeyfeale just but found it great although twas a bit bumpy. It's a lovely way to get through that part of the country from Limerick to Kerry and they should make more of it, even try to link it with a Clare trail via the Shannon ferry. That part of west Limerick and north Kerry is pretty much what tourists come to Ireland to see.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Great work by the OP.

Regarding the 'Potential beside Active Railway' marked trails. These are still effectively mainline railway lines. I don't know how they might be considered potential greenways in the short term. Removing them would clear up the map a little bit and leave only those greenways that are finished/under construction/planned etc.

If anything, the map shows how grossly under prioritised cycling is.

I'm of two minds about them myself, I can't personally see greenways alongside an active line as a particularly desirable route for cyclists, except possibly in cities where it could be purely for commuting purposes, but I've had a number of people say they should be considered. The main reason they are included is because there are large sections where they would provide an excellent way to link disparate greenways together into much more of a greenway 'network'. Also if they were to be seriously looked at, development would be much more expedient than the current greenway developments as you essentially have only one 'landowner' to negotiate with. I think they should remain on there for the moment, you can 'untick' the layer to see the map without them. I'd obviously do a wholesale rework if the DTTaS were to publish a greenway network strategy similar to that released for Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, congratulations on a great bit of work with the map.

One small quibble, just cause I know the area well, the Lowtown to Athy section of the Grand Canal barrow line is classified in the potential section even though planning permission has been applied for as the Barrow Blueway and it's possible to ride on a MTB or CX bike at the moment, while the Monasterevin-Mountmellick section of the Grand Canal is in the same section and is not in any way navigable by bike and a substantial section of it has either been sold off or used as the Portarlington ring road.

Unfortunately a large proportion of the Naas to Rathvilly old rail line is in a similar situation.

It's great to see the potential on one map so sorry for nitpicking, once again well done.

nilhg wrote: »
    OP, congratulations on a great bit of work with the map.

One small quibble, just cause I know the area well, the Lowtown to Athy section of the Grand Canal barrow line is classified in the potential section even though planning permission has been applied for as the Barrow Blueway and it's possible to ride on a MTB or CX bike at the moment, while the Monasterevin-Mountmellick section of the Grand Canal is in the same section and is not in any way navigable by bike and a substantial section of it has either been sold off or used as the Portarlington ring road.

Unfortunately a large proportion of the Naas to Rathvilly old rail line is in a similar situation.

It's great to see the potential on one map so sorry for nitpicking, once again well done.

Nitpick away please! I'm relying on people to tell me whats wrong with sections of it as i'm not able to find out all the information for myself (Incredibly hard to find plans/proposals for some places, and I have to know they exist in the first place to search for them) Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I changed the Lowtown to Athy section to Planned, keeping the Monasterevin and Rathvilly ones as 'Potential'. Especially for the potential routes (and many of the others) the shown route is only a rough guide to the actual route any greenway will actually take, obviously lengthy negotiations with landowners, etc along the route and impassable road development will have to be factored in when/if a greenway is actually considered for development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Cathalu

This is awesome, thanks for the great resource!!
    I am sure that there is a completed greenway from Castlebar to Torlough in Co. Mayo too, completely away from the road.

Advertisement