Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We should of course also use quieter rural roads without a doubt,

Perfect example near me is the old N9 kilkenny to Waterford
    It was replaced by the M9 motorway back in 2008/2009, it has a very good surface and its not a very busy road at all for the majority of it. Specifically from Knocktopher to Waterford, I've regularly run and cycled it and you'd only meet a hand full of cars so its perfect for a cycle route.

It has one issue, the Kilkenny to Knocktopher section via Thomastown is much busier which is a shame, but with some planning provisions could be made to make it safer for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

How embarrassing for Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare and Meath planners that those few pathetic paths and a couple of 'proposed' paths represent all that is planned or built of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network plan - which was meant to look (as a start) like the map below https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Written_Report11.pdf

461639.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Rechuchote wrote: »
    How embarrassing for Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare and Meath planners that those few pathetic paths and a couple of 'proposed' paths represent all that is planned or built of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network plan - which was meant to look (as a start) like the map below https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Written_Report11.pdf

461639.jpg

If you are referring to my map of the greater dublin area please note that my map only includes greenways or fully protected cycleways alongside roads, this larger map would almost certainly include 'painted' routes which I'd deem insufficient for a city but fantastic for those quiet country roads when paired with a 'local access only' enforcement and also might include some 'quietways' routes á lá London, which I haven't got in my map. I would welcome any improvements along those lines but don't think they should be in the map as it stands. Just make it even more cluttered than it is currently....

It's absolutely true that "advisory" (derisory) painted lanes are purely a cosmetic job and have no function in keeping people on bicycles safe.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    It's absolutely true that "advisory" (derisory) painted lanes are purely a cosmetic job and have no function in keeping people on bicycles safe.

I don't know if you've ever seen them but if you want an example of how atrocious they are I advise anyone to go have a look at the 'Advisory' cycle lanes on Mayberry Road in Kilnamanagh. They are the most dangerous things I've ever seen, near the Greenhills end they are basically entirely inside the main driving lane, there is absolutely no space for a driver to not be in oncoming traffic if they wanted to avoid being in the cycle lane. It looks incredibly messy and having driven it its highly confusing for drivers, I've not had the stones to cycle the thing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Its a shared lane though, so no need for a driver to avoid being in it...

It is horribly confusing driving those type roads though as it's just narrow white line overload. I presume the dotted cycle lines are to remind drivers about cyclists... given that the central line is also doted so cars can overtake cyclists as they approach them and the oncoming traffic lane is clear?

Grassey wrote: »
    Its a shared lane though, so no need for a driver to avoid being in it...

It is horribly confusing driving those type roads though as it's just narrow white line overload. I presume the dotted cycle lines are to remind drivers about cyclists... given that the central line is also doted so cars can overtake cyclists as they approach them and the oncoming traffic lane is clear?

Aren't they technically meant to stay out of the lane if there is a cyclist visible in it?

Regardless its the road I would use to illustrate that when you tell councils 'you must provide cycling infrastructure when improving a road' that the statement should say, painting a cycle lane on the road is NOT acceptable as providing cycling provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Grassey wrote: »
    I'd subscribe to this idea too. For the majority of my long cycles I plot a route that avoids main roads where possible and or busy secondary roads. There are so many enjoyable routes to be found about the place where you'd rarely encounter another car. Abroad a lot of minor roads I've cycled would have bicycle signs and when running broadly parallel to main roads would have only local access cars.

The only issue I'd see is how to regulate local access only routes here without some stick such as bollards / traffic calming to avoid rat runs around certain populated areas.

Eamonn

Yep I have a load of quiet routes in my area.
    Massive advantage to living away from the cities.

Was out last week for 30k. For the first 12 or so k I'd say I met 0 cars and about 20 walkers. Rest was slightly busier 10 to 15 cars.

Bear in mind that most country cars are a pleasure to meet.

Throw in a mild evening a bit of scenery up. The hills. A pleasure

Eamonn

Yep I have a load of quiet routes in my area.
    Massive advantage to living away from the cities.

Was out last week for 30k. For the first 12 or so k I'd say I met 0 cars and about 20 walkers. Rest was slightly busier 10 to 15 cars.

Bear in mind that most country cars are a pleasure to meet.

Throw in a mild evening a bit of scenery up. The hills. A pleasure

I think the main thing with the vast, VAST majority of these quiet routes is they are totally inconspicuous and just... roads. If quiet route cycling is to be encouraged and grown then there needs to be clearer marking of the quiet roads for cyclists to follow routes and VERY clear marking for cars etc. making them aware that the route is very popular with cyclists, maybe doing a bit of road design to ensure low speeds, like a different coloured tarmac. As you say most drivers on those routes will be happily trundling along, but you cant guarantee that there wont be some boy racer lad flying along the boreens at 100, especially if they aren't marked clearly as cycle highways

I think the main thing with the vast, VAST majority of these quiet routes is they are totally inconspicuous and just... roads. If quiet route cycling is to be encouraged and grown then there needs to be clearer marking of the quiet roads for cyclists to follow routes and VERY clear marking for cars etc. making them aware that the route is very popular with cyclists, maybe doing a bit of road design to ensure low speeds, like a different coloured tarmac. As you say most drivers on those routes will be happily trundling along, but you cant guarantee that there wont be some boy racer lad flying along the boreens at 100, especially if they aren't marked clearly as cycle highways

Personally I like it just the way it is .

Start creating routes and putting in rules, start getting aggro and no one to enforce anything.

Also start getting the claims artists who fall over and reckon the council should be filling every pothole and sweeping every road.

A pool of info among like minded cyclists??Routes, notes etc

• Advertisement

Personally I like it just the way it is .

Start creating routes and putting in rules, start getting aggro and no one to enforce anything.

Also start getting the claims artists who fall over and reckon the council should be filling every pothole and sweeping every road.

A pool of info among like minded cyclists??Routes, notes etc

If its implemented like it is in Germany I don't see why it should cause major problems, doing nothing is all well and good for confident cyclists but it means its a closed shop for anyone less confident wanting to get out and cycle.

fahrradstrasse-schild221x142.jpg
    This is the sort of signage you'd want along with fingerposts, which I've seen in a few places in Clare but you'd want a lot more countrywide

If its implemented like it is in Germany I don't see why it should cause major problems, doing nothing is all well and good for confident cyclists but it means its a closed shop for anyone less confident wanting to get out and cycle.

fahrradstrasse-schild221x142.jpg
    This is the sort of signage you'd want along with fingerposts, which I've seen in a few places in Clare but you'd want a lot more countrywide

Fair enough. I wouldn't be against anything sensible.

Just find in this country we seem to go about everything a bit arse ways.

Cycle lanes that just end etc.

You also need give and take. Eg if I meet Jimmy the farmer with his massive tractor and bale trailer I must pull in and leave him off.

You've to remember that these country roads are for all.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be against anything sensible.

Just find in this country we seem to go about everything a bit arse ways.

Cycle lanes that just end etc.

You also need give and take. Eg if I meet Jimmy the farmer with his massive tractor and bale trailer I must pull in and leave him off.

You've to remember that these country roads are for all.

Interestingly enough there actually another sign in Germany saying a road is a cycle track with an explicit warning to cyclists to make way for farm and forestry machinery! Combinations of those where appropriate, and good fingerposting, would bring enormous benefit to cycling tourism in Ireland.

Interestingly enough there actually another sign in Germany saying a road is a cycle track with an explicit warning to cyclists to make way for farm and forestry machinery! Combinations of those where appropriate, and good fingerposting, would bring enormous benefit to cycling tourism in Ireland.

Seems the germans know what they're at

Aren't they technically meant to stay out of the lane if there is a cyclist visible in it?

Damn a bit of good if a bunch of people are cycling up from behind - as every night on Harold's Cross Road, where all motorists use the I-was-here-first rule to block the tiny cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Cabaal wrote: »
    We should of course also use quieter rural roads without a doubt,

Perfect example near me is the old N9 kilkenny to Waterford
    It was replaced by the M9 motorway back in 2008/2009, it has a very good surface and its not a very busy road at all for the majority of it. Specifically from Knocktopher to Waterford, I've regularly run and cycled it and you'd only meet a hand full of cars so its perfect for a cycle route.

It has one issue, the Kilkenny to Knocktopher section via Thomastown is much busier which is a shame, but with some planning provisions could be made to make it safer for cyclists.
    Same her in Clare since the M18 opened you can ride on the old road from Drumline Shannon all the way to Gort and beyond. real quiet road super surface, mostly hard shoulder. Its great. 62 Km to before Ardrahan. You just have to get past Ennis, other than that its uninterupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Kildare Co Co just published a Part 8 notice for a greenway development on the Grand Canal mainline:

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/Part8-GrandCanalGreenway.html

The wheels are turning, slowly at the moment but hopefully progress will be steady.

nilhg wrote: »
    Kildare Co Co just published a Part 8 notice for a greenway development on the Grand Canal mainline:

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/Part8-GrandCanalGreenway.html

The wheels are turning, slowly at the moment but hopefully progress will be steady.

Spotted that, unfortunately the actual plan doesn't appear to be available, at the link in that page, I'll give them the week to put it up before I ask where it is. While looking for more information on waterways Ireland I came across their Public Consultation for the Ulster Canal

I already have the ulster marked as 'In Progress' on my map but this is a great document to see what is planned for the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

When does it look like it will it be possible to cycle (on a road bike) from Ringsend in Dublin all the way to Eyre Square in Galway city via dedicated greenways?

If you wanted to do it now how much of the 220km would be operational Greenway? Has anyone on here tried to do the full trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

When does it look like it will it be possible to cycle (on a road bike) from Ringsend in Dublin all the way to Eyre Square in Galway city via dedicated greenways?

If you wanted to do it now how much of the 220km would be operational Greenway? Has anyone on here tried to do the full trip?

completion date? very much unknown at this point :(

there's currently no greenway west beyond Athlone, which is about 120km from Dublin.
    then in terms of getting to Athlone you can travel the entire distance from Furey's pub in Moyvalley as far as Athlone via greenways, some of which are for cyclists & pedestrians only and some of which are very quiet country / access roads. this works out at around 80km of greenway, between Dublin and Moyvalley is a bit hit and miss and to use the greenways would require a few hops on and off as they're not properly joined up as yet. Intel as far as Kilcock is a decent long stretch though, maybe 10-15km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

nilhg wrote: »

Have mixed views on this. Did the Six Aqueducts Audax last year and the Grand Canal section was probably the highlight. The long grass sections made it seem very remote and certainly unique in cycling terms.

Zen0 wrote: »
    Have mixed views on this. Did the Six Aqueducts Audax last year and the Grand Canal section was probably the highlight. The long grass sections made it seem very remote and certainly unique in cycling terms.

Making it more accessible is pretty vital to cycling in Ireland, its one of what I would consider the 'great routes', linking large sections of the country by bike. I think 'remote' greenways/routes are fine to be grassed tracks, but keeping something as major as the grand canal for the 'hardcore' is a bit too miserly.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Making it more accessible is pretty vital to cycling in Ireland, its one of what I would consider the 'great routes', linking large sections of the country by bike. I think 'remote' greenways/routes are fine to be grassed tracks, but keeping something as major as the grand canal for the 'hardcore' is a bit too miserly.

I get all that stuff, and you are right of course. I just mourn the loss of wild spaces anywhere.

I get all that stuff, and you are right of course. I just mourn the loss of wild spaces anywhere.

If it helps they look to be going with unbound compacted gravel/dust tracks for the majority of it.....

Kildare CoCo Report

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If it helps they look to be going with unbound compacted gravel/dust tracks for the majority of it.....

Kildare CoCo Report

Dust surfaces are not natural and seep into the canal water — a sealed surface is probably better all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

monument wrote: »
    Dust surfaces are not natural and seep into the canal water — a sealed surface is probably better all around.

Probably needs more maintenance on that account and maintenance is never built into the budget.

monument wrote: »

Apologies, that was supposed to be sarcastic, the report claims unbound surfaces are more in keeping and I suppose is claiming a lower environmental impact...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Great map and I see the Waterford To New Ross Greenway listed. Any update on this proposed route. Haven’t heard anything locally in a long time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The ideal arrangement is probably what is planned for the Ferran's Lock to Cloncurry section of the Royal Canal in the new year. The cycle route will be on the north bank, largely making use of some existing quiet access roads while the south bank will remain grassed - better for walking and for hard-core cyclists! From memory there are a few existing sections between Longwood and Mullingar where a similar arrangement exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The ideal arrangement is probably what is planned for the Ferran's Lock to Cloncurry section of the Royal Canal in the new year. The cycle route will be on the north bank, largely making use of some existing quiet access roads while the south bank will remain grassed - better for walking and for hard-core cyclists! From memory there are a few existing sections between Longwood and Mullingar where a similar arrangement exists.

Grass is hardly idea for anyone pushing a buggy/pram or using a wheelchair?

Especially after rain - which we get a lot of in Ireland.

Advertisement