Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Da Boss wrote:
    I agree this is farcical, the reason being though however is that you and your like don’t even consider the arguments that don’t agree with yeer agenda, yee just dismiss them as rubbish despite the fact there were many valid points made. The arrogance of the pro choice contingent won’t help their cause

Any "arguments" from the pro life side have not been dismissed.

Anytime anyone has questioned EOTR or OEJack for evidence, their views boil down to opinions rather than actual fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Da Boss

Well many here are totally forgetting the unborn, and the fact abortion denies there sole chance of having a life. By having an abortion you are ending the life of another. I’ve told my story before, and as hard as it is for me to share this story I’ll share it again as I’m so passionate about my stance against abortion. My mother, for various reasons, was strongly considering traveling for an abortion no different to many today. However she chose against it and quite obviously proceeded to having me. It was when she had me that it dawned to her she almost Ended the life of another, she was considering an abortion as it was inconvenience ( the pregnancy that is) at the particular time. Never once did she realize that abortion is in fact the murdering of the unborn. The thought that she almost ended my life embarrasses and shocks my mother to this day and she is ashamed having even contemplated an abortion even if it was in her best interests. The 8th made an abortion difficult for my mother so she didn’t proceed with an abortion so the 8th has literally saved my life. Only for the eight I would not enjoy a life like I currently do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Da Boss wrote: »
    Well many here are totally forgetting the unborn, and the fact abortion denies there sole chance of having a life.

Who is forgetting that? No one I have seen. Rather what people are claiming is that this factoid of yours is not in any way relevant, and places absolutely no moral onus on us of any kind.

Just because something can have "a life" that does not mean we have any moral obligation to allow it to, or to help it, achieve that.

Rather what many people, including myself, think is that attributes like sentience are what grounds moral and ethical concern, and so we have rarely got cause to have moral and ethical concern towards something that is not actually sentient. Such as a fetus at 0-16 weeks..... which is therefore the moral equivalent of a rock or a table leg for the most part.

Cue the people who then jump in doing what I referred to in post #4681 above, which is to simply INVENT a "right to become sentient" that they feel the fetus should have. The problem there however is:

A) They have not offered any argument as to why this right should exist. They just invent it and declare THAT it should exist.

B) They are not just slightly but ENTIRELY unwilling/unable to explain any reasons why SOME entities that could become sentient should have this right, but others should not.

Your personal anecdote of your mother, while clearly emotive for you, could not really be less relevant to the discussion. It explains why YOU do not want abortions to happen. It does not one iota explain why anyone else should think that too.

And had she had the abortion, you would simply not have cared. Because no "you" would have been created TO care. Because the fetus at 0-16 weeks was not "you" in any sense of personhood or sentience.
    Never once did she realize that abortion is in fact the murdering of the unborn.

Except that is not a "fact" at all. You really need to look up what exactly we mean by the word "murder". You were doing well using the word "killing" I guess.

You should tell your mother she has nothing to feel ashamed about. She did not care about a blob without sentience. She DOES care for that blob after it attained sentience. In both regards she morally did EXACTLY the right thing, and rather than let her beat herself up over this......... or worse beat her up over it or use her to beat other people up over it......... you should tell her the truth that she was morally warranted in both situations.

The 8th did not "save your life" in anything but the biological sense therefore. It coerced/compelled her to create your life. A subtly different state of affairs, but an important distinction none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

again this is false. the argument is simply about protecting the unborn from being killed. there is no distrust of women, no wanting to protect them from their bad choices as we have all made a bad choice in our lives, and no sexist drivel either.

You're the guy who thinks making women travel to have an abortion is a good idea because it means women will "think about if they really want it". That is not the rationale of someone who trusts women, no matter how much you protest to the contrary.

Well many here are totally forgetting the unborn, and the fact abortion denies there sole chance of having a life. By having an abortion you are ending the life of another. I’ve told my story before, and as hard as it is for me to share this story I’ll share it again as I’m so passionate about my stance against abortion. My mother, for various reasons, was strongly considering traveling for an abortion no different to many today. However she chose against it and quite obviously proceeded to having me. It was when she had me that it dawned to her she almost Ended the life of another, she was considering an abortion as it was inconvenience ( the pregnancy that is) at the particular time. Never once did she realize that abortion is in fact the murdering of the unborn. The thought that she almost ended my life embarrasses and shocks my mother to this day and she is ashamed having even contemplated an abortion even if it was in her best interests. The 8th made an abortion difficult for my mother so she didn’t proceed with an abortion so the 8th has literally saved my life. Only for the eight I would not enjoy a life like I currently do

Every argument put forward to keep the 8th is in reality an argument to repeal the 13th. But absolutely nobody who supports the 8th is interested in that, because that would actually mean having to face up to the consequences of their beliefs. Far better for them that women continue to head overseas, or order pills in secret, all to maintain the illusion that Ireland is abortion free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Every argument put forward to keep the 8th is in reality an argument to repeal the 13th. But absolutely nobody who supports the 8th is interested in that, because that would actually mean having to face up to the consequences of their beliefs. Far better for them that women continue to head overseas, or order pills in secret, all to maintain the illusion that Ireland is abortion free.

And illusion it is.
    25 legal abortions in Ireland in 2016.

http://www.thejournal.ie/legal-abortions-in-ireland-3469898-Jun2017/

Abortion is not illegal in Ireland. It is 'just' very restricted. Still legal in some circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well don't you paint a shítty picture!

There's so many assumptions in there I'm not even sure where to start. What makes you assume that their mother would always be a single mother for a start, let alone that this alone would render her incapable of raising a child who grows up to contribute to society? Far more wasters in my experience come from homes where the family has two parents, but as I say that's just my experience.

Secondly neither kylith nor I mentioned anything about anyone being forced to give birth, and thirdly, you're assuming a conclusion that someone will do poorly in life as a result of being born to a single mother (and that is of course assuming the father is also single at the time!), when you should be looking at the actual cause, and not just the symptoms.

A child born to an already affluent single woman will of course have more opportunities in life (the Danish model, you should look it up!), than a child born to a woman who is already socially disadvantaged. It's not their status as a single mother will be the sole determinant factor in any comparison of outcomes, it's the base from where their parents are starting off.

Jaysus this really is absolute and utter bunkum

There is a wealth of evidence out there showing that single parent households live in poverty more than the general population.

This report on inequality and this one show us various things about the poverty of Single Parent headed households including
    1 The net wealth of a Single parent headed household is % of the average household
    2 Irelands at risk of poverty rate for single parent households is considerably higher than the EU average at 62.5%
    3 Single parent are less likely than their counterparts to own their own home
    4 Have a miniscule amount of savings of approximately €300 - about 10% of evryone else

This CSO data released in 2017 and giving us 2015 data shows us quite a range of facts that single parent headed households live in poverty

1 Single parent households have the highest rate of deprivation in Ireland
    2 Single parent houselholds have the lowest income of all families with children in Ireland
    3 People living in single parent households have the highest consistent poverty rate in Ireland.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sorry but what did she think she was doing when she was considering having an abortion?
    I honestly do not believe for a minute that she didn’t realize that by having an abortion she would be ending the pregnancy and aborting the fetus (you).
    If she didn’t think it was ‘murder’ then I’m very keen to know what she actually thought was happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You should tell your mother she has nothing to feel ashamed about. She did not care about a blob without sentience. She DOES care for that blob after it attained sentience. In both regards she morally did EXACTLY the right thing, and rather than let her beat herself up over this......... or worse beat her up over it or use her to beat other people up over it......... you should tell her the truth that she was morally warranted in both situations.

The 8th did not "save your life" in anything but the biological sense therefore. It coerced/compelled her to create your life. A subtly different state of affairs, but an important distinction none the less.

it saved his life. he is here because the 8th stopped his mother from having an abortion within the state. it allowed him to grow from a would be sentient being who is entitled to it's right to life to be upheld as per the constitution, to a fully sentient being. sentients alone is not a valid way to judge whether the unborn should be given some protection, given that they are likely to become sentient, unless circumstances stop it from doing so.
    You're the guy who thinks making women travel to have an abortion is a good idea because it means women will "think about if they really want it". That is not the rationale of someone who trusts women, no matter how much you protest to the contrary.

i trust women, i disagree with the killing of the unborn outside extreme circumstances. both very different and cannot be linked.

for me it's not about creating an allusion of an abortion free ireland, it's about trying to keep the state from sanctioning and funding the killing of the unborn outside extreme circumstances, an act i disagree with.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Ah doing your old thing of ignoring my posts, dodging my points, waiting some time, and then taking pot shots at some other post then? Will you also be claiming falsehoods today that you replied to posts that you demonstrably didn't?
    it saved his life.

Nope. It saved a fetus which then went on to become "him" and "his life". Biologically it saved a fetus. His life, as in his personhood, was not there TO be saved. Learn the difference please, as it is not a small one.
    sentients alone is not a valid way to judge whether the unborn should be given some protection

More of your assertions. Yet you have not yet offered any other criteria, arguments, or reasoning to validate that assertion, or discuss other ways to judge when an entity should have rights that other entities do not. And when asked a direct question on that topic, you ran off, ignored the post, and dodged the question.

• Advertisement

for me it's not about creating an allusion of an abortion free ireland, it's about trying to keep the state from sanctioning and funding the killing of the unborn, an act i disagree with.

The State already sanctions and funds abortion. 26 of them in 2016 plus the ones where the HSE takes girls to the UK.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The State already sanctions and funds abortion. 26 of them in 2016 plus the ones where the HSE takes girls to the UK.

again those are extreme circumstances, where it is not possible for the baby to be caried to term due to either threats to the life of the mother or a threat of permanent injury or disability. i have edited my previous post to clarify this.

i trust women,

A person who trusts women and thinks they should be able to have abortions abroad would think they should be able to do the same here. That's not you though, so no, you don't trust women.

A person who trusts women and thinks they should be able to have abortions abroad would think they should be able to do the same here. That's not you though, so no, you don't trust women.

a person who trusts women but who disagrees with abortion on demand but who recognises that he cannot stop people from procuring it abroad, still trusts women, he just disagrees with a particular act. so yes, i trust women.

again those are extreme circumstances, where it is not possible for the baby to be caried to term due to either threats to the life of the mother or a threat of permanent injury or disability. i have edited my previous post to clarify this.

As neither of us are privy to the reasons that is speculation. It also doesn't change the fact that abortions are sanctioned by the State, paid for by the State, and carried out within the State.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

So because your mother changed her mind, you think all women would because abortion isn't legal Here? Don't you know about the thousands of women who travel to the UK for abortions?

Not all women think like your mother, nor should they be forced to.

a person who trusts women but who disagrees with abortion on demand but who recognises that he cannot stop people from procuring it abroad, still trusts women, he just disagrees with a particular act. so yes, i trust women.

It's not that you can't stop women, it's that you don't want to. A few posters have suggested ways to do this, you've even thanked one or two of those posts, so you've obviously read and agreed with them. Yet, you've also said you wouldn't support changes to the law to allow women to be stopped.

At the end of the day, you're in favour of forcing women to travel if they decide to have an abortion, because in your mind it means they've really thought about. And the only reason for thinking that they need to show they really want it, is because you don't trust them to make the right decision to begin with.

I know this won't make a blind bit of difference to you and you'll keep doing your usual ad infinitum thing, but it's plain to see that you don't.

It's not that you can't stop women, it's that you don't want to. A few posters have suggested ways to do this, you've even thanked one or two of those posts, so you've obviously read and agreed with them. Yet, you've also said you wouldn't support changes to the law to allow women to be stopped.

At the end of the day, you're in favour of forcing women to travel if they decide to have an abortion, because in your mind it means they've really thought about. And the only reason for thinking that they need to show they really want it, is because you don't trust them to make the right decision to begin with.

I know this won't make a blind bit of difference to you and you'll keep doing your usual ad infinitum thing, but it's plain to see that you don't.

it's not plain to see that i don't, as i do. i am simply against the allowing of unlimited abortion within the state of ireland, and i believe that nobody is "forced" to travel for an abortion, they choose to do it because they want an abortion outside necessary and extreme circumstances. there is no good reason to provide unlimited abortion and the state has no obligation to provide it. the fact that i believe it is not reasonable to impose travel banns due to the fact others would be effected simply means i recognise the realities in relation to the procurement of abortion. other then that it means nothing.

it's not plain to see that i don't, as i do. i am simply against the allowing of unlimited abortion within the state of ireland, and i believe that nobody is "forced" to travel for an abortion, they choose to do it because they want an abortion outside necessary and extreme circumstances. There is no good reason to provide unlimited abortion and the state has no obligation to provide it. the fact that i believe it is not reasonable to impose travel banns due to the fact others would be effected simply means i recognise the realities in relation to the procurement of abortion. other then that it means nothing.

Therein lies the crux. They don't chose to travel. You ask any woman who has travelled and I bet they'll tell you plane travel before and after is the last thing they wanted or would chose. They decide to have an abortion, for whatever reason that is their business, and they are forced to travel because they cannot have an abortion here.

I'm not sure what you mean by unlimited abortion, but there is no reason why we cannot look after our citizens within our own borders. Instead of pushing the problem and the women/couples facing it abroad. It is cruel.

Therein lies the crux. They don't chose to travel. You ask any woman who has travelled and I bet they'll tell you plane travel before and after is the last thing they wanted or would chose. They decide to have an abortion, for whatever reason that is their business, and they are forced to travel because they cannot have an abortion here.

I'm not sure what you mean by unlimited abortion, but there is no reason why we cannot look after our citizens within our own borders. Instead of pushing the problem and the women/couples facing it abroad. It is cruel.

i don't believe it is cruel for someone to have to go abroad for a non-necessary abortion. if we were talking about people having to go abroad in extreme circumstances because of the lack of availability of abortion for that particular circumstance then you would have a point, but we aren't.
    people have to go abroad for many treatments that aren't availible within the state, and i'd bet there are treatments which aren't available but which should be long long before abortion on demand. i think really we have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

• Advertisement

... i am simply against the allowing of unlimited abortion within the state of ireland, and i believe that nobody is "forced" to travel for an abortion, they choose to do it because they want an abortion outside necessary and extreme circumstances. there is no good reason to provide unlimited abortion and the state has no obligation to provide it. the fact that i believe it is not reasonable to impose travel banns due to the fact others would be effected simply means i recognise the realities in relation to the procurement of abortion. other then that it means nothing.

After telling us that we "cannot stop people from procuring it [abortion] abroad", you're now telling us we can, but it would be unreasonable to do so due to the effect on others. You go so far as to declare this as a "fact", making a lie of your first statement.

The actual fact is that you don't want to be able to stop them. It's not abortion on demand you're opposed to, it's some kind of "abortion on impulse", because you think if a woman can access abortion locally, she'll decide to have one on the spot without thinking about it. And that's because you don't trust women.

i don't believe it is cruel for someone to have to go abroad for a non-necessary abortion. if we were talking about people having to go abroad in extreme circumstances because of the lack of availability of abortion for that particular circumstance then you would have a point, but we aren't.
    people have to go abroad for many treatments that aren't availible within the state, and i'd bet there are treatments which aren't available but which should be long long before abortion on demand. i think really we have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Most if not all of those other procedures are exceptionally specialised. Ireland is a small country and wouldn't have the capacity to build up the required experience to become specialised in those procedures. It's not because we want the patients to think about if they really want the procedure.

Abortion is nothing like these procedures, because in the majority of cases it will involve taking a pill and maybe scheduling a followup doctor's visit.

After telling us that we "cannot stop people from procuring it [abortion] abroad", you're now telling us we can, but it would be unreasonable to do so due to the effect on others. You go so far as to declare this as a "fact", making a lie of your first statement.

The actual fact is that you don't want to be able to stop them. It's not abortion on demand you're opposed to, it's some kind of "abortion on impulse", because you think if a woman can access abortion locally, she'll decide to have one on the spot without thinking about it. And that's because you don't trust women.

again this is false, my reasons for being against the killing of the unborn outside extreme circumstances is that it is wrong. i have been clear in my position through the thread in relation to my views including the travel bann, and have not changed it. no matter how much people twist my posts in an aim to make out i don't trust women, they are inaccurate and always will be. i trust women, i simply disagree with abortion on demand being availible in ireland.
    Most if not all of those other procedures are exceptionally specialised. Ireland is a small country and wouldn't have the capacity to build up the required experience to become specialised in those procedures. It's not because we want the patients to think about if they really want the procedure.

Abortion is nothing like these procedures, because in the majority of cases it will involve taking a pill and maybe scheduling a followup doctor's visit.

i would still be happy to see money spent on those treatments over abortion on demand, as they will likely benefit society compared to abortion on demand, which doesn't benefit society.

Why do you not believe it to be cruel? Why do you think, if medical treatment is required by citizens of the state, we shouldn't look after them? Can you not see that to you the abortion maybe non necessary, but to the people travelling, it is very necessary?

Maybe we do have treatments unavailable here that are available in other states, i cant think of them. But through increase demand and focus on those treatments, can become available.

The way it stands now, a woman must continue a pregnancy whether she wants to or not. And if she doesn't want to she has to travel abroad and have another state look after her and travel back in pain and I would imagine still heavily bleeding. You wouldn't send anyone on a plane in that condition, it is cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Every argument put forward to keep the 8th is in reality an argument to repeal the 13th.

One I have never really understood is this nonsense that life begins at implantation. In reality, that is just a legal line in the sand, it is not based on any actual science.

Pro-lifers commonly say that a new human life exists from the start, and that there is continuous development from a single cell to birth and what we all agree is a human baby, so it is impossible to draw a line anywhere in that process and say abortion is OK up to here, but it's a baby a day later.

But factually, that "new life" moment is fertilization. That's when the mother's and father's genes are combined to create the DNA of a new individual, and guess what, we already DO draw a legal line and say absolutely no legal protections before that line.

That line is implantation of the embryo in a woman's womb, and it is open season on new human beings before that point. Created in a test tube? They can be frozen, thawed out, thrown away. Created during sex? Morning after pill to prevent implantation is A-OK.

And this legal line was not created after panels of experts studied all the evidence - judges did it simply by considering the meaning of the English word "unborn" in context. One decided that when an embryo is not implanted, meaning the woman is not pregnant, article 40.3.3 cannot apply since it is balancing the rights of a mother her unborn baby.

One of the other judges simply said that an implanted embryo is definitely unborn, but who the hell knows about a test tube embryo.

Yet here we are - no protection for those poor, poor fertilized cells, each one a unique human like you or me if you believe the pro-life spoofology.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And illusion it is.
    25 legal abortions in Ireland in 2016.

http://www.thejournal.ie/legal-abortions-in-ireland-3469898-Jun2017/

Abortion is not illegal in Ireland. It is 'just' very restricted. Still legal in some circumstances.

Not to mention the countless pill abortions which pro life crowds totally ignore and the Irish state turns a blind eye too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yet here we are - no protection for those poor, poor fertilized cells, each one a unique human like you or me if you believe the pro-life spoofology.

Not to mention there's no protection for potential life, why are there no restrictions on the wasted potential life from masterbation :p

again this is false, my reasons for being against the killing of the unborn outside extreme circumstances is that it is wrong.

And you presumably think it's as equally wrong outside Ireland as it would be within Ireland, yet you'd vote to keep the provision that puts the freedom to travel above our constitutional ban on abortion. This is not the decision of someone who thinks abortion is wrong. It's NIMBYism.
    i have been clear in my position through the thread in relation to my views including the travel bann, and have not changed it.

The only thing that's been clear about your views on the travel ban is that they're keep changing.
    no matter how much people twist my posts in an aim to make out i don't trust women, they are inaccurate and always will be. i trust women, i simply disagree with abortion on demand being availible in ireland.

People aren't twisting your posts. Please are reading them for what they are.
    i would still be happy to see money spent on those treatments over abortion on demand, as they will likely benefit society compared to abortion on demand, which doesn't benefit society.

I think not subjecting women to the risks of travelling to another jurisdiction for a procedure that could be easily carried here benefits society. Even someone steadfastly opposed to abortion can surely see it's better that women who have abortions should have safer ones.

And as has been pointed out before, concerns that offering abortions would take resources away from other services are unfounded because pregnant women will be accessing our health service whether they have an abortion or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

What an ageist attitude :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement