Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

davidk1394 wrote: »
    €50 is wrong in my opinion. But I don't see why we should leave the prices low. In years of over supply people had to sell excess fodder at a lower price but in a good year like this they can charge the going rate. Farmers seem to begrudge the lads that are making money this year but they didn't mind buying silage last year because it was cheap. I remember seeing people post last spring who were saying it was cheaper to buy silage than to make it. Now their turning around giving out its too expensive.
    And some fcukers think they are entitled to silage free, draw away and forget to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Reggie :D

I can guarentee you I would have gone back for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    And some fcukers think they are entitled to silage free, draw away and forget to pay.

Dont worry they'll be a long time looking next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Giving out about sellers squeezing now is a bit rich. In other years lads buying put them to the wall offering €12-15 a bale when it is plentiful.

Also, this is going to sound harsh, but in any 5 year period there are now at least 2 "crisis" years. If it is that hars on your farm to make enough silage you need to review stocking rates or if the land is so poor, exit farming. I love farming but the stress of not having enough fodder is savage. I was in that boat when the east wind was burming me up in spring 4 years?ago. If I was regularly getting caught I would get out.

Grueller wrote: »
    Giving out about sellers squeezing now is a bit rich. In other years lads buying put them to the wall offering €12-15 a bale when it is plentiful.

Also, this is going to sound harsh, but in any 5 year period there are now at least 2 "crisis" years. If it is that hars on your farm to make enough silage you need to review stocking rates or if the land is so poor, exit farming. I love farming but the stress of not having enough fodder is savage. I was in that boat when the east wind was burming me up in spring 4 years?ago. If I was regularly getting caught I would get out.

True but the silage selling game is a dead loss when you add up all the costs, it would make more sense to let a farmer get a few grazings off it during the summer and get a few bob for it and keep the grass down without the huge costs of silage making. Even with your own machinery it doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

True but the silage selling game is a dead loss when you add up all the costs, it would make more sense to let a farmer get a few grazings off it during the summer and get a few bob for it and keep the grass down without the huge costs of silage making. Even with your own machinery it doesn't make sense.

A lot of the reason for that is that most silage made to sell is crap. Lads not putting fertlizer on it waiting until they July to make it and then often after failing to make hay of it. Unfortunately the costs of making bales silage is a high front cost. Know a few lads that do it fairly right and they make a small profit every year. Even in the years of plenty of silage they average high 20's delivered. Know another fella that go'es the low cost route and he sells it into ex yard averaging low 20's most years. He has his own baler and wrapper but seems happy enough at it.

The thing that kills bales silage is productions cost , in reality pit silage is little different if sold ex yard. As well bale silage has a poor reputation a lot due to FJ journalists calling it lucky bags. However good/middling quality high DM bales are worth 30 euro delivered at least.

Take 72 DMD silage @35%; DM a bale 750kgs gives 262kgs of DM @35 euro/bale delivered into yard it is costing 14c/kg DM if all bales are good

Even sialge 65-70DMD at 40% DM in a bale weighing 700kgs gives 280kgs DM @30 euro/bale delivered into yard it is costing 10.7c/kgDM

But in general you will not buy this type of silage. Most lads now making high DM silage are putting extra wrap on it and know the value of it. Nowadays silage bales are 100kgs heavier than 5-10 years ago. As well some lads are starting to use the plastic film instead of netting to hold the bales togeather.But at the end of the day it comes back to value for money and cost into yard not ex yard.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think lads are fierce judgemental here. Do guys in the East know that it rained almost constant from July . Ye would drown if ye had to live down here.:D
    I was lucky this year in that I cut mine a bit early as weather was fine. Left me a bit short, but if I left it a week later I would have been caught.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I think lads are fierce judgemental here. Do guys in the East know that it rained almost constant from July . Ye would drown if ye had to live down here.:D
    I was lucky this year in that I cut mine a bit early as weather was fine. Left me a bit short, but if I left it a week later I would have been caught.

+1

The last crisis was caused by a bad spring. Most people learned their lesson and kept extra ground for silage.

Although the outcome is the same this years problems is caused by not being able to cut that extra forage.

I know guys selling bales and most years they hardly cover costs so this year is good for them. Like Bass says I dont have a problem with them charging a lot but why do other farmers pay it. I've been substituting ration in because I had cattle in since the end of August and I've stretched out my own silgae fairly well because of that. If we get a decent spring I should be ok. Ration might be dear but in feed value terms compared to the cost of silage bales, its cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It probably didn't leave you short in reality if u measured in feed value. You'd have to ration it with cows though or they'd pack on the pounds

croot wrote: »
    +1

The last crisis was caused by a bad spring. Most people learned their lesson and kept extra ground for silage.

Although the outcome is the same this years problems is caused by not being able to cut that extra forage.

I know guys selling bales and most years they hardly cover costs so this year is good for them. Like Bass says I dont have a problem with them charging a lot but why do other farmers pay it. I've been substituting ration in because I had cattle in since the end of August and I've stretched out my own silgae fairly well because of that. If we get a decent spring I should be ok. Ration might be dear but in feed value terms compared to the cost of silage bales, its cheap.
    The end of August Jaysus, if I had to do that here I'd shut the gate and walk away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

The end of August Jaysus, if I had to do that here I'd shut the gate and walk away from it.

Gates????

Us poor farmers cant afford them. Its pallets and bailing twine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Gates????

You have pallets??? Your well to do

Gates????

Steel pipe through the pallets nearly makes them into a gate if all the same design:rolleyes:

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Around here the pallets and twine get eaten in a bad year.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

See allot of attics moving stuff the past few days. Few loads of mine went during week. artic driver was saying he has moved more since December than all of last year and has work fir the next 10 days drawing it.

Wonder is it s bit of scaremongering going on it is it really as bad as it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Sell 300 + bales here every year. Pre-sold back in May. €30 In God and bad years, collected from our yard. Repeat costumers for the last 5 or 6 years. Very good quality bales and never fail to get paid. Have had a steady line of people looking for bales in the last 3 or 4 weeks, but have nothing to spare.
    One small holding farmer nearby has almost nothing left, so told him we can give him 12 of the ok-ish bales, he's going to take 2 a week starting next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

What would you consider a fair price for 'okay-ish' bales? Mine are nothing to write home about, but had a lad asking and I'd hate to see someone stuck. They are dry, sweet smelling and my cattle are doing fine on them. Major issue is there are rushes through them. At the same time the cattle are leaving very little behind (and they are not so hungry that they'd eat anything!!). I literally got them out of the field day before weather broke completely last July, think it's rained since then this part of the world.

KatyMac wrote: »
    What would you consider a fair price for 'okay-ish' bales? Mine are nothing to write home about, but had a lad asking and I'd hate to see someone stuck. They are dry, sweet smelling and my cattle are doing fine on them. Major issue is there are rushes through them. At the same time the cattle are leaving very little behind (and they are not so hungry that they'd eat anything!!). I literally got them out of the field day before weather broke completely last July, think it's rained since then this part of the world.

If they are not leaving much behind and you are in an area where there is a scarcity 25 would not be outrageous. Lads buy late June and 2016 bales around paying 22-26/bale and transport on top around here. Will be costing 30-35/bale delivered 60+ miles

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think if you add in everything darragh haven has it right, €10+ machinery cost, €10 fertiliser, land use €10....your costs won't be much less than that.
    Imight be high but selling at €25 is losing money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If they are well packed bales of dryish silage then 30 is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

thanks that gives me a fair idea. Can always let him take one and see what his cattle think of it!!! I'd hate to be one of the lucky-bag sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I suspect there are a good few 'glas' bales, July cut, around the country. Got some myself. I presume that's what you are describing, Kathy.
    Will sell to a neighbour who I know needs them. Offered some for North West of Ireland help. no one got back to me.
    We sent some down to Bantry in 2000, when they needed them. Wouldn't be hard on people caught with wet land and a long winter.
    Another neighbour helped 6/7 other farmers in 2012, no fanfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

This man offered 20 cash, ok for small amounts. You'd want 24 through the books, otherwise your loosing money. It costs nearly the same to make a bad bale as a good bale

wrangler wrote: »
    I think if you add in everything darragh haven has it right, €10+ machinery cost, €10 fertiliser, land use €10....your costs won't be much less than that.
    Imight be high but selling at €25 is losing money
    Willfarman wrote: »
    If they are well packed bales of dryish silage then 30 is fair.
    This man offered 20 cash, ok for small amounts. You'd want 24 through the books, otherwise your loosing money. It costs nearly the same to make a bad bale as a good bale

It is all relative. IMO the ex yard price is immaterial compared to the delivered price. For OKish bales with rushes in them compared to 3-4kgs of ration and minimum roughish I would not be buying it above 20-25/bale.

Into my bin at the moment I can get a fairly good finishing ration at 220/ton, neighbour is paying 210 for a forage stretcher, barley is above 200/ton and hulls 220/ton either is better value than low dmd bales. . Cost of making bales is immaterial, in a way market is immaterial. UFL one to the other hard to price especially when idiots are paying 280/ton for hi-maize :rolleyes: bags of ration with a nice molasses smell.

I know what it cost to make good bale silage, lots of lads here that are on the other side o the fence are now are suddenly converts. But 30+ for bales with rushes in them made in July:confused:.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

In an area near us there was.a.guy made a pure killing during the last fodder crisis asked 60euros a bale .he got the most of it but two years later he was abroad as his nice baling business disappeared the year after.a friend says people forget a good turn quickly but they never forget when you screw them

K.G. wrote: »
    a friend says people forget a good turn quickly but they never forget when you screw them

Sounds like you could never keep those type people happy. You'd probably be a fool to try.

Following on from what Bass said about expensive ration, I've never heard anyone hold a grudge against a miller. Funny old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Muckit wrote: »
    Sounds like you could never keep those type people happy. You'd probably be a fool to try.

Following on from what Bass said about expensive ration, I've never heard anyone hold a grudge against a miller. Funny old world.

Plenty of farmers who had their herds wiped out by BSE would have a few things to say about millers.

tanko wrote: »
    Plenty of farmers who had their herds wiped out by BSE would have a few things to say about millers.

Well l suppose that's a different story. I was just talking purely from a price perspective.

Muckit wrote: »

What is worse most of the price gouging on bag rations are not Merchants and Millers but co-op's and usually you are getting lucky bag stuff as well with plenty of fillers in it. It is amazing we are in the business of farming and very few have much knowledge of rations and different constituents that millers use. As well often trying to get a breakdown from miller/co-op is like third secret of Fatima.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What is worse most of the price gouging on bag rations are not Merchants and Millers but co-op's and usually you are getting lucky bag stuff as well with plenty of fillers in it. It is amazing we are in the business of farming and very few have much knowledge of rations and different constituents that millers use. As well often trying to get a breakdown from miller/co-op is like third secret of Fatima.
    Most lads dont even ask the price of what they are getting never mind what's in it. Alot of farmers buy off the same place all the time. Only themselves to blame for being screwed

Advertisement