Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options
1878889909193»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Well what a difference a year makes.most people have heaps of stuff in loads of silage hay straw available at cost or below prices .so with second cut in whats the strategy for the autumn as regards grass/fert/silage.is it worth planting forage crops this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

K.G. wrote: »
    Well what a difference a year makes.most people have heaps of stuff in loads of silage hay straw available at cost or below prices .so with second cut in whats the strategy for the autumn as regards grass/fert/silage.is it worth planting forage crops this year

Plenty of fodder in stock. But typical year around here back feeding 30kg/hd silage atm. Raining now, if we get enough of it silage could be out again in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »

Will do a blast of reseeding here. Hopefully be up 20 to 25 cow's next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Puck!!! Meant to close this thread........

... and consign events to history. Forgotten history!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

greysides wrote: »

Too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

greysides wrote: »

Ah don’t. Least we forget the pain of winters past and the joy of getting to the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I think it's going to be a surplus of bales crisis now. Every place is heaving with bales and grass.
    Made 60 bales of hay last friday, didn't even bother seeing if they could be sold as you'd nearly have to give them away. I've no empty hayshed to put them into. I'm thinking of getting a roll of pallet wrap and wrapping them by hand on the cylinder and leaving the ends exposed.
    Its been some year for growth, cattle are mud fat yet the price of cattle are on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think it's going to be a surplus of bales crisis now. Every place is heaving with bales and grass.
    Made 60 bales of hay last friday, didn't even bother seeing if they could be sold as you'd nearly have to give them away. I've no empty hayshed to put them into. I'm thinking of getting a roll of pallet wrap and wrapping them by hand on the cylinder and leaving the ends exposed.
    Its been some year for growth, cattle are mud fat yet the price of cattle are on the floor

that is a brilliant idea

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What are big squares of barley straw making? Out of the field

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Anyone weigh a 22 ft grass silage trailer full...no run off down 18hrs, probably just over 25%DM...

Or any sizes and we can compare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

alps wrote: »
    Anyone weigh a 22 ft grass silage trailer full...no run off down 18hrs, probably just over 25%DM...

Straumann giga viteese 17 tonnes. If you could cube it for an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

alps wrote: »

22’ super cube Smyth trailer full to water level 16 tonne

Advertisement