Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Id say weather of the next month 6 weeks will have a big bearing, if not too bad there may well be stuff to be bought from the south and east, if it's very wet lads will be reluctant to part with fodder till in the clear themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was no mention in the report of slurry situation

Plenty being fired over hedges around here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

We made heaps of fodder here last year and I thought we would have stuff left over.
    Will have just about enough by the look of how things are ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

We made heaps of fodder here last year and I thought we would have stuff left over.
    Will have just about enough by the look of how things are ATM

I had a good 100 bales to sell and it all sold on the week. Probably could have got more for it if I waited another few weeks but it could be an early spring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

sea12 wrote: »
    I had a good 100 bales to sell and it all sold on the week. Probably could have got more for it if I waited another few weeks but it could be an early spring too.

How much a bale were you getting sea12? I am in Wexford and have about 100-120 bales to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Grueller wrote: »
    How much a bale were you getting sea12? I am in Wexford and have about 100-120 bales to sell.

€25. Reasonable good silage. Wouldn't be for the dairy lads but is fine for cattle. Not tested but my own animals were eating it so it could be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

sea12 wrote: »
    €25. Reasonable good silage. Wouldn't be for the dairy lads but is fine for cattle. Not tested but my own animals were eating it so it could be seen.

Ya mine is same as that. Tested 71 dmd and 14.4% protein iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Think I sleep walked into being short on silage. They are going trough more than i thought they would. Feeding early June haylage.its nice stuff but no 80dmd stuff. Think I'm short about 70 bales roughly.

Silage available locally for €25 bale. I'd have to pay transport too as iv no way of moving them. Looking into other options now too.

It will be for suckler cows that will be freshly calved. What's the best alternative with meal or barley or roasted barley ? Looking for a cheap alternative. I have space to blow in meal or whatever.

No real way of working beet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Think I sleep walked into being short on silage. They are going trough more than i thought they would. Feeding early June haylage.its nice stuff but no 80dmd stuff. Think I'm short about 70 bales roughly.

Silage available locally for €25 bale. I'd have to pay transport too as iv no way of moving them. Looking into other options now too.

It will be for suckler cows that will be freshly calved. What's the best alternative with meal or barley or roasted barley ? Looking for a cheap alternative. I have space to blow in meal or whatever.

No real way of working beet here.
    Yeah, they're ploughing through silage this year, I've cows getting 4kg of ration and that are eating almost 12 kg silage dm/day. I was hoping to buy extra cows but at the rate they are going through silage it will only last until early April with current numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Got a surprise yesterday when I opened a bale of silage. It was obvious it was less wilted than the bales I was using all along so came from a different field. Have a feeling bales from now on wont last as long. Might off load a weanling or two.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ours are flying through the bales too, only have enough til mid-April and that's upping the feed to 2kg a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

I've 100 bales of 74 dmd plus silage for sale and also two pits of around 500ton available

Would be willing to barter for weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

stanflt wrote: »
    I've 100 bales of 74 dmd plus silage for sale and also two pits of around 500ton available

Ya made hoare !!

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Ya made hoare !!

I've already sold 250 bales

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've already sold 250 bales

How come you're so understocked, it has to be a better system to set land than sell silage off it

wrangler wrote: »
    How come you're so understocked, it has to be a better system to set land than sell silage off it

Nitrates doesn't allow me to stock any higher

It's about growing high tonnes of dm per ha consistently

Nitrates doesn't allow me to stock any higher

It's about growing high tonnes of dm per ha consistently

I doubt if it's all about growing grass if you're not utilising it.

I doubt if it's all about growing grass if you're not utilising it.

Your missing the point- if I was allowed to keep more stock I would

I cut grass when it's young so I have a quality feed for my animals- this in turn allows you to grow more as it need less time to recover

Your missing the point- if I was allowed to keep more stock I would

I cut grass when it's young so I have a quality feed for my animals- this in turn allows you to grow more as it need less time to recover

Starting to sound like teagasc now, most farmers could grow too much grass if they wanted to but manage not to.

Starting to sound like teagasc now, most farmers could grow too much grass if they wanted to but manage not to.

Would you criticise someone for having 20-30k€ in a savings account?

• Advertisement

Would you criticise someone for having 20-30k€ in a savings account?

Yes, if it costs €30 -€40 K to put it there.

Yes, if it costs €30 -€40 K to put it there.

How would it cost that-

So are you suggesting I use less Fertilizer lime and slurry-
    Make poorer quality silage
    Grow less grass resulting in having to buy in more feed
    As a result of having bad silage need more meal to maintain body condition

Im a bit confused tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How would it cost that-

Im a bit confused tbh

Its over my head but something not right if you have to cut 500 bales too many for no good reason.

How would it cost that-

Im a bit confused tbh

How is everyone else matching their stocking rate to grass growth,
    It's not a special talent.
    When I was selling silage there was more profit in selling 65 DMD than 75 DMD,
    Very hard to make money selling good silage, machinery costs are the same for 16 ton crop as 8 ton crop, as are fertiliser, only annoy a contractor asking to pick up a 4 ton crop without a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Very hard to make money selling good silage, machinery costs are the same for 16 ton crop as 8 ton crop, as are fertiliser, only annoy a contractor asking to pick up a 4 ton crop without a bonus

Machinery costs much lower for lighter crops as are fert costs per cut. Going to be squeaky bum time here but should be ok. Not counting a bale of straw per cow we'll be cutting it fine but 5kg of distillers draff and a kg of straw for everything bar milkers will give us an extra couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭visatorro

Neighbour is feeding 120 bales a week all bought in. Milking more cows but lost rented ground. He wouldn’t get cows out until paddy’s day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭visatorro

How many weanlings?

visatorro wrote: »
    How many weanlings?

Would do a deal on price of silage vs price per kg lw with animals weighed across a scales- beef weanlings btw

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Neighbour is feeding 120 bales a week all bought in. Milking more cows but lost rented ground. He wouldn’t get cows out until paddy’s day
    3000 euro a week- at 25 euro a bale- before any other cost :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone have a tractor and loader in Mullingar?

Farmers Journal (@farmersjournal) Tweeted:
    Spotted, on the Mullingar bypass...and the price of it! https://t.co/z2cLomx6M9 https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/951162230959206406?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E2

Advertisement