Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fodder Crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Muckit wrote: »
    If lads had their costings done up as good as Bass, they would see that having to buy bales at 25 euro isnt he end of the world.

Knowing your cost of production is lesson 1 in any business.

Aw Muckit, I think you're mixing up two things
    1 The type of bale described by Baas
    2 The type of bale that is made by many to sell at 20-25

You could feed them out at up to twice the rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Farmer wrote: »
    Aw Muckit, I think you're mixing up two things
    1 The type of bale described by Baas
    2 The type of bale that is made by many to sell at 20-25

You could feed them out at up to twice the rate

Was short 20 last yr. Nice first cut the neighbour said. 24 a bale. Landed in yard and put out the first one. Pure thatch. I will have 30 left over here i hope. I was talking to a fellow boardsie last week on the same subject and with dmd at 72% and protein over 16% i couldn't afford to sell on less than 35. At that they wont rot in the yard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was short 20 last yr. Nice first cut the neighbour said. 24 a bale. Landed in yard and put out the first one. Pure thatch. I will have 30 left over here i hope. I was talking to a fellow boardsie last week on the same subject and with dmd at 72% and protein over 16% i couldn't afford to sell on less than 35. At that they wont rot in the yard either.

You paid a lot for silage last year. Bought off two lads last year. Paid both what they asked. First lads is a fellow that specializes in it nice second cut DM in the nid 20's, second lad was a neighbour that had haylage left over from previous year. It wasfine stuff to feed late February two bales would last a pen about 5 days. It was 24 hours short of being able to be baled as hay In both case after paying haulage it come to sub 20/bale

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Re. Fodder Crisis
    Farmers regularly complain about being ripped off by supermarkets, co op's, grain merchants etc. but it seems that the farmers worst enemy can, at times, be his fellow farmer. (Not wishing to paint all with the one brush)
    Two weeks ago a neighbour bought a load of hay (180 square bales) off a lad he's dealing with for over 10 years. Paid €3 out of the shed.
    Decided to go for another load last Saturday morning (after being told there was over 500 bales still available in shed, same hay etc.)
    On arrival in the yard and as he was about to start loading he was told that the price had gone up - it was now €4 - this after travelling over 35 miles with pick up & trailer. He offered €3.50 but the seller wouldn't budge - he had to get €4 . Needless to say he returned home with an empty trailer and will never darken his door again.
    I have seen the bales and to say they were small is an understatement, 3 of them would make 2 half decent bales but not 2 big square bales.
    With rolled barley etc. at €10 for 40 kgs. bag I advised my neighbour to feed extra meal and cut back on hay...it might teach certain folk a lesson and save a few euros in the process.
    Unfortunately it seems this rip off practice is rife with tiny straw square bales being sold for up to €3.50 & round bales (hay) €40
    Now I don't begrudge anyone a decent profit for his labour but there is such a thing as common decency etc. It is short sighted greed on behalf of certain folk but they may be,hopefully, cutting their own throats in the long run - decent folk have long memories.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

monseiur wrote: »
    Re. Fodder Crisis
    Farmers regularly complain about being ripped off by supermarkets, co op's, grain merchants etc. but it seems that the farmers worst enemy can, at times, be his fellow farmer. (Not wishing to paint all with the one brush)
    Two weeks ago a neighbour bought a load of hay (180 square bales) off a lad he's dealing with for over 10 years. Paid €3 out of the shed.
    Decided to go for another load last Saturday morning (after being told there was over 500 bales still available in shed, same hay etc.)
    On arrival in the yard and as he was about to start loading he was told that the price had gone up - it was now €4 - this after travelling over 35 miles with pick up & trailer. He offered €3.50 but the seller wouldn't budge - he had to get €4 . Needless to say he returned home with an empty trailer and will never darken his door again.
    I have seen the bales and to say they were small is an understatement, 3 of them would make 2 half decent bales but not 2 big square bales.
    With rolled barley etc. at €10 for 40 kgs. bag I advised my neighbour to feed extra meal and cut back on hay...it might teach certain folk a lesson and save a few euros in the process.
    Unfortunately it seems this rip off practice is rife with tiny straw square bales being sold for up to €3.50 & round bales (hay) €40
    Now I don't begrudge anyone a decent profit for his labour but there is such a thing as common decency etc. It is short sighted greed on behalf of certain folk but they may be,hopefully, cutting their own throats in the long run - decent folk have long memories.

M.

There's a few contradictions there: a decent profit for his labor, try making square bales yourself allow 10 euro an hour for your labor and see how much a small square will cost. Small squares have been 3 a bale a good few years now. I'd be expecting them to be 4 now. It's not short sighted greed, it's a business transaction if he had to travel 35 miles he's not a neighbor and probably owes him nothing. Everyone deserves to make a bit of cream every so often and the lads making silage and hay are included in that too, they spend enough years just about breaking even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Who2 wrote: »
    There's a few contradictions there: a decent profit for his labor, try making square bales yourself allow 10 euro an hour for your labor and see how much a small square will cost. Small squares have been 3 a bale a good few years now. I'd be expecting them to be 4 now. It's not short sighted greed, it's a business transaction if he had to travel 35 miles he's not a neighbor and probably owes him nothing. Everyone deserves to make a bit of cream every so often and the lads making silage and hay are included in that too, they spend enough years just about breaking even.

I agree. Allot of work involved in Sq bales. For all u know the man could be selling on the sq bales himself at a profit. Maybe not but if the original man only has 500 bales he is entitled to make a few quid extra. The market has gone up so he is entitled to get a bit extra., if the market was flooded and the price of hay was only €2 do you think the regular customer is going to pay €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There's a market for hay and Straw just like everything else. One person doesn't control the price. You can't expect to buy them below their value.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's a bit of advice on feeding ration to cattle to stretch silage in the tweet below. Just click on a pic to see the info.
    https://twitter.com/AurivoFarmProf/status/940220832596615169

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I reckon there's still a lot of people that haven't realized they will be short. I'm half way through my pit and half way through the bales, tanks will be full well before open date for spreading and I'm using more meal than ever. I'm going to put out a batch of light heifers in January and the same goes for the spring calves as they calve and I'll just get out I reckon. Twenty minutes down the road from me and they are down to the last batches of feeding already.
    I've only 9% of my winter feed used so far everything was out up to 25th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I've only 9% of my winter feed used so far everything was out up to 25th of November.

Dry ground there Dan. East of mallow wouldn't be typical of many parts of the country.

• Advertisement

Dry ground there Dan. East of mallow wouldn't be typical of many parts of the country.

I'm south of Mallow, it was second cut that I kept for grazing as it went late for cutting with the weather, low stocking rate as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

There was never more fodder saved in Meath than this year. Quality might be a different question but there is no shortage of it. This isn't like 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

There was never more fodder saved in Meath than this year. Quality might be a different question but there is no shortage of it. This isn't like 2012

There's a friend who was destocked with Tbh that's selling his feed and reckons most of his customers are Meath men.

How many selling bales demand payment before they are loaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Depends who the customer is, I know a neighbour is still owed for bales sold in 2013

whelan2 wrote: »
    Depends who the customer is, I know a neighbour is still owed for bales sold in 2013

I got caught the same year somwtimes the person you know is worse than a stranger.

If you are referring to my post, the seller did not demand payment before loading, he just casually mentioned that he had upped the price...cunningly testing the buyer out before loading.
    If he had any decency he would have informed the buyer before he travelled. He deliberately kept him in the dark, thinking that having travelled the distance he would buy at the inflated price.
    M.

He's my neighbour, no the sellers, and at €3 for a tiny bale that's €4.50 for a big square bale I very much doubt that the seller was out of pocket, no one expects something for nothing but being blindly ripped off by your fellow farmer is something else and the sad thing is you see nothing wrong with it.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

There's a friend who was destocked with Tbh that's selling his feed and reckons most of his customers are Meath men.

There are lads round here that but in silage every year but I helped cover a few pits this year and they were all bigger and higher than any other year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Anyone letting bales out of a yard or field without looking for the money would be foolish unless you know the person very very well.
    Traditionally hay and straw was always a thing that was paid for on the day,usually in real money,unlike say hire work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

monseiur wrote: »
    He's my neighbour, no the sellers, and at €3 for a tiny bale that's €4.50 for a big square bale I very much doubt that the seller was out of pocket, no one expects something for nothing but being blindly ripped off by your fellow farmer is something else and the sad thing is you see nothing wrong with it.
    M.
    When do you think people should look for more for their produce then?
    Not much point looking for a price rise in a year that there is no demand.Load a good few lorries for people throughout the year and hay/silage is no dearer than any other year.
    Straw on the other hand has increased 75/100% in price this year due to demand and scarcity.
    Regular customers are paying a bit more than other years but then thats understandable.The once off buyer who may never darken your door again can hardly expect to buy at last years prices.
    No one is being ripped off if both the seller and buyer are adults.If the hay was available elsewhere at a lower price then why not buy there.If not then maybe its the going rate.
    Wrapped silage bales are costing 20/30 euro to produce so anyone selling them at any less is giving them away.
    Hay at 10 bales/acre is 240 euro or so.Twenty to mow,say 3 turnings and row up at 10 euro a pop is 40 euro plus 3.50 to bale and minimum of euro a bale to shed gives a cost of 10.50 a a bale before fert./slurry and land cost.
    Allow say 10 euro a bale to cover fertiliser and land cost means a round bale of hay is costing the farmer over 20 euro to produce.
    No big profit in selling at 24 a bale.
    Straw is different in that it is there regardless but yields are variable plus in a bad year like this one it can be costly and difficult to get it all.Margins in tillage are rather small at the moment so it would be a very foolish farmer who sold his straw for much less than it was worth esp. when the opportunity arises to make a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ah feck lads, two fodder crises in five years...what’ll it be like after Harvest 2050???

I’ll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I sold silage to the fella that does our AI, I could hardly ask him for payment when I pay him once a year. I wont be chasing him

I was thinking about buying a load of straw in the new year, I'll need about a third of it myself and will probably sell the rest off. I'll be asking for payment for those before they leave the yard

Speaking of which if anyone up the country has any bales for sale drop me a PM

Ah feck lads, two fodder crises in five years...what’ll it be like after Harvest 2050???

I’ll get my coat...

Their 10 year prediction didn't work out too well yet people carry on believing their predictions for 2050. Fact of the matter is nobody can predict the future no matter how hard they try to convince people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Green&Red wrote: »
    I sold silage to the fella that does our AI, I could hardly ask him for payment when I pay him once a year. I wont be chasing him

I was thinking about buying a load of straw in the new year, I'll need about a third of it myself and will probably sell the rest off. I'll be asking for payment for those before they leave the yard

Speaking of which if anyone up the country has any bales for sale drop me a PM

Plenty of bales for sale in Stamullen on donedeal!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Straw wasn't plentiful in Meath as the weather delayed harvesting Spring grown crops. I saw a lot of Spring barley and wheaten straw getting soaked in fields in late October especially around Slane, Wilkinstown, Carlanstown which are normally good straw producing areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Odelay

When do you think people should look for more for their produce then?
    Not much point looking for a price rise in a year that there is no demand.Load a good few lorries for people throughout the year and hay/silage is no dearer than any other year.
    Straw on the other hand has increased 75/100% in price this year due to demand and scarcity.
    Regular customers are paying a bit more than other years but then thats understandable.The once off buyer who may never darken your door again can hardly expect to buy at last years prices.
    No one is being ripped off if both the seller and buyer are adults.If the hay was available elsewhere at a lower price then why not buy there.If not then maybe its the going rate.
    Wrapped silage bales are costing 20/30 euro to produce so anyone selling them at any less is giving them away.
    Hay at 10 bales/acre is 240 euro or so.Twenty to mow,say 3 turnings and row up at 10 euro a pop is 40 euro plus 3.50 to bale and minimum of euro a bale to shed gives a cost of 10.50 a a bale before fert./slurry and land cost.
    Allow say 10 euro a bale to cover fertiliser and land cost means a round bale of hay is costing the farmer over 20 euro to produce.
    No big profit in selling at 24 a bale.
    Straw is different in that it is there regardless but yields are variable plus in a bad year like this one it can be costly and difficult to get it all.Margins in tillage are rather small at the moment so it would be a very foolish farmer who sold his straw for much less than it was worth esp. when the opportunity arises to make a few bob.

In all fairness, a lad jumping the price from one load to the next from €3 to €4 should have let the lad know before travelling.
    If he thought he had it priced fairly and at market value he would have done so. Not letting him know of a jump in price before travelling was was very cheeky to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

George Lee on 6one.

How is everyone fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

A lot of ppl in west Clare under pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was no mention in the report of slurry situation

Advertisement