Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Good for him after all the shít he took after the breakup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    That's interesting, can I ask what guidelines or rules are in place for the UK and USA in this regard?

I follow more UK bloggers than I do Irish ones and I gather that they will get fined and pulled up by the advertising authority there if all insta's, snaps, blogs or videos are no appropriately labelled as #ad and that it has to clear in the description etc. I do know one got a fine because the #ad was in the description of a video on youtube where I think it needs to be in the title.

The management companies also seem to be more on top of things like that with them over there. I've heard a couple mention how they were given workshops on advertising standards and rules which I think is lacking in the Irish blogger sphere to a degree. Some seem to have gotten it but clearly others have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I'm glad he has cleared his name but a part of me does feel a bit sorry for her even though she has brought this all on her self. I feel she is certainly suffering with some sort of mental illness and does need help.

I have seen her in real life and she looks nothing like her photos, very pretty girl with a fab figure but just nothing like her heavily edited pictures. Years ago I remember she did make up for Lovely Girlie bits (blogger) sister's wedding and she seemed so normal then and bubbly. It's kind of sad to see her decline even though she has been very untruthful in a lot of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Jaysus it's all kicking off on his instagram with Gail Kaneswaren jumping in to defend Joanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm finding it harder and harder to feel sorry for. I feel sympathy for her on a very basic human level, but she is completely the author of her own demise. If she hadn't taken it upon herself to be so evasive, deliberately aloof and intentionally deceptive then things would be different. And all for what? Attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm finding it harder and harder to feel sorry for. I feel sympathy for her on a very basic human level, but she is completely the author of her own demise. If she hadn't taken it upon herself to be so evasive, deliberately aloof and intentionally deceptive then things would be different. And all for what? Attention.

She lied, and lied, and lied. About reselling gifted items. About photoshopping. About losing weight. About buying her apartment in London. About Paul being emotionally abusive.
    She knew people were aware of what she was up to but refused to address it.
    And now it has all blown up in her face and she's playing the victim. Its actually mind blowing that she was so arrogant she thought she could get away with it.

Nobody likes being taken advantage of. And that's exactly how her fans feel right now. She forced a fake reality on them, by silencing any opposing views, and she isn't equipped to deal with the repercussions of her actions now.

I pity her in that I actually can't believe she didn't see this coming. People were eventually going to wise up. I simply can't feel sorry for her on that count because she's a 31 year old business woman and should know better than the mistakes she made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    She lied, and lied, and lied. About reselling gifted items. About photoshopping. About losing weight. About buying her apartment in London. About Paul being emotionally abusive.
    She knew people were aware of what she was up to but refused to address it.
    And now it has all blown up in her face and she's playing the victim. Its actually mind blowing that she was so arrogant she thought she could get away with it.

Nobody likes being taken advantage of. And that's exactly how her fans feel right now. She forced a fake reality on them, by silencing any opposing views, and she isn't equipped to deal with the repercussions of her actions now.

I pity her in that I actually can't believe she didn't see this coming. People were eventually going to wise up. I simply can't feel sorry for her on that count because she's a 31 year old business woman and should know better than the mistakes she made.

Its very hard to forgive someone who denies what they've done and repeatedly does it then again and again.

I don't like witch hunts but her behaviour is appalling and it's ridiculous that she has gotten away with it for so long.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Its very hard to forgive someone who denies what they've done and repeatedly does it then again and again.

I don't like witch hunts but her behaviour is appalling and it's ridiculous that she has gotten away with it for so long.

I honestly think the only way of saving the extreme damage done to her career at this point is to hold her hands up, admit it, and apologise.
    She has lost all credibility over the last week and if she doesn't take responsibility I can't see her career recovering. People are really angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't follow MUF (or any Irish bloggers/vloggers/influencers actually) but have followed the recent threads here on boards with interest. I looked at some of her content when she first moved to the UK and a bit since and to be honest, it was very uncomfortable viewing. She seems like a very damaged young woman. A lot of people have made the point that they never believed she actually looked how she appeared in the pics she published (and this has been proven now, with all the side-by-side comparison pics) but the really worrying thing is that I think Joanne herself partly believes in the image she's curated for herself? Again, I think she's a very damaged young woman and I hope her family will take her in hand and encourage her to get the help she needs with her body image issues and probable anxiety.
    I'd also like to commend the posters on these threads for not lowering themselves to personal abuse and attacks on Joanne - if she was to read these threads she could take a lot of very fair, well-meaning advice from them.
    I feel sorry for her, as a perfectly nice-looking, seemingly bright young woman, that she hasn't the confidence and self-worth to accept and love her appearance and herself as she is/was.
    I also feel sorry for her young followers who might have believed the hype.
    Fair play to Paul for his very articulate and IMO fair statement on Instagram. Unbelievable to see many of Joanne's supporters and friends attacking and accusing him. There's two sides to every story but a lady in Joanne's position would have been better off either keeping a complete, dignified silence or else revealing her version of the truth and allowing Paul to reveal his. The sniping and accusations and refusal to name names but willingness to insinuate all sorts... it's playground behaviour. I'm glad he had his say, whatever the actual truth of the situation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I'd wonder now how much of the telling her followers about her hair was about wanting to be honest and how much was to keep the relationship going.
    Maybe he didn't like the lies and manipulation either and that was her concession and also a way to lean on him after being vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

I think a very genuine mea culpa style apology would go a long way. People have turned around far, far worse situations. Celebrities have been caught taking drugs very publicly, shoplifting, with prostitutes, cheating on spouses etc. Very high profile individuals. With the right approach, they managed to claw back their public image.

She needs to say she was devastated post-break up, that she acted out, that she wanted Paul to feel as bad as her etc. And apologise. Say "I did the wrong thing. I need to get help to cope with this and make some major changes."

She also needs to address the editing. The right approach to that could also make her a far more sympathetic figure. Everyone rallied round her when she spoke about her hair loss. Her followers aren't out gunning for her blood, bar a small, vitriolic cohort that will exist for any blogger/influencer.

blairbear wrote: »
    I think a very genuine mea culpa style apology would go a long way. People have turned around far, far worse situations. Celebrities have been caught taking drugs very publicly, shoplifting, with prostitutes, cheating on spouses etc. Very high profile individuals. With the right approach, they managed to claw back their public image.

She needs to say she was devastated post-break up, that she acted out, that she wanted Paul to feel as bad as her etc. And apologise. Say "I did the wrong thing. I need to get help to cope with this and make some major changes."

She also needs to address the editing. The right approach to that could also make her a far more sympathetic figure. Everyone rallied round her when she spoke about her hair loss. Her followers aren't out gunning for her blood, bar a small, vitriolic cohort that will exist for any blogger/influencer.

More than saying it though she needs to actually do it.
    There's been too many times with her people have believed in her, like with her hair loss, like when she moved home and everyone was sympathetic and believed something terrible had happened.

Implying someone has abused you and then apologising and saying 'I acted out I wanted him to suffer' doesnt cut it tbh. She tried to ruin someone's reputation and life, an apology won't make that OK.
    She needs help and until she gets that help she won't change.

I agree. Which is why I said that she should say she needs help. I meant that she should say she needs help and actually get it!

That statement is what I would do today, in the short term, to weather the storm. She can't post unicorns and fairy lights all day. Though of course, she might.

Joanne and I are pretty much the same age. Implying that a lad who dumped me was emotionally abusive is just so far out of left field of normal, especially now we're in our thirties. Break ups shouldn't stop your world from turning after a ten month relationship. She reminds me of my teenage self when I got dumped! You just get on with things at this stage. Rock up to work regardless. Keep your business to yourself. Be professional.

She needs to address why she reacts like this, and her intractable need to involve strangers in her private life.

I agree. Which is why I said that she should say she needs help. I meant that she should say she needs help and actually get it!

That statement is what I would do today, in the short term, to weather the storm. She can't post unicorns and fairy lights all day. Though of course, she might.

Joanne and I are pretty much the same age. Implying that a lad who dumped me was emotionally abusive is just so far out of left field of normal, especially now we're in our thirties. Break ups shouldn't stop your world from turning after a ten month relationship. She reminds me of my teenage self when I got dumped! You just get on with things at this stage. Rock up to work regardless. Keep your business to yourself. Be professional.

She needs to address why she reacts like this, and her intractable need to involve strangers in her private life.

You're right blairbear but from the way she's acted so far today it seems she's planning on ignoring it.

Aside from social media or her job I hope she gets help because she needs it.
    The post the other day (was it you?) really made me see the other side of how much she must struggle and I do feel so much empathy for her but she can't drag other people down with her as she tried to do to Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Doubt she'll entertain addressing it. She'll allow her minions to do that for her.

She's already on Inst posting an airport pic of her ridiculously expensive bags and a glass of champagne.

Things won't make her happy.

She needs real friends at this point to tell her she's acting the knob jockey to power down and reboot.

You're right blairbear but from the way she's acted so far today it seems she's planning on ignoring it.

Aside from social media or her job I hope she gets help because she needs it.
    The post the other day (was it you?) really made me see the other side of how much she must struggle and I do feel so much empathy for her but she can't drag other people down with her as she tried to do to Paul.

I posted last night detailing how body image issues or disordered eating can affect your mental state, particularly on social media etc, but there is no excuse for inflicting your issues on other people. I think we all have a duty as adults to minimise the extent that our personal demons impact on those around us. We can't just lash out blindly whenever we feel bad.

Today Joanne is positioning her LV bag beside her Chanel wallet, with a glass of champagne in between. Showing off the fruits of her mindless consumerism while crying financial strain; the mind BOGGLES.

I posted last night detailing how body image issues or disordered eating can affect your mental state, particularly on social media etc, but there is no excuse for inflicting your issues on other people. I think we all have a duty as adults to minimise the extent that our personal demons impact on those around us. We can't just lash out blindly whenever we feel bad.

Today Joanne is positioning her LV bag beside her Chanel wallet, with a glass of champagne in between. Showing off the fruits of her mindless consumerism while crying financial strain; the mind BOGGLES.

Yes that was a fantastic post.

She's doing her usual head in the sand act, I don't see how she can come back from this week tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The drama of it all! I’m glad Paul has given his side of the story, he was dealing with it in a very dignified way but I suppose when your ex keeps alluding to things and basically slandering you, you have to stand up for yourself.
    It will be interesting to see how MUF will respond or if she’ll just ignore it completely. I think if she had stayed quiet or told the truth, people would have much more sympathy for her. It must be tough to deal with a break up so out of the blue.

But the way she chose to deal with it - letting people assume there was domestic abuse or something similar is just disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Miles of entertainment in the comments under that bull****callerouter instagram post about being blocked by an influencer. Sosueme and MUF seem to be the worst offenders, blocking people for simply asking innocent questions about product ingredients or for 'liking' a post that another commenter made etc...

It's so mental how many hours of the day they seem to devote to making sure any criticism or negativity or non-gushing followers remain hidden from sight! Like that's got to be the trait of a narcissistic personality surely. Imagine if Tesco's or Aer Lingus or any other brand started doing that on their social media channels?? There'd be blue murder!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Muf posted another heavily filtered pic of her out for her birthday on Instagram earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Miles of entertainment in the comments under that bull****callerouter instagram post about being blocked by an influencer. Sosueme and MUF seem to be the worst offenders, blocking people for simply asking innocent questions about product ingredients or for 'liking' a post that another commenter made etc...
    I overheard my oh's snapchat the other week, the Cork one (Jordan?) was saying that if someone liked a post she felt was negative she would go out of her way to find their usernames for every media platform she could so she could block them from every angle. Seemed a little obsessive to me.

Slightly unrelated, but she also said she blocks any man who tries to interact with her without question. Since these are essentially commercial platforms could this be against equality legislation? Certainly if Tesco or the likes did it would be. Are these accounts still personal so equality acts don't apply? They wouldn't have a business without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Stheno wrote: »
    Muf posted another heavily filtered pic of her out for her birthday on Instagram earlier
    That photo does no justice to whatever dress she's wearing. It looks like it's been shredded.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I overheard my oh's snapchat the other week, the Cork one (Jordan?) was saying that if someone liked a post she felt was negative she would go out of her way to find their usernames for every media platform she could so she could block them from every angle. Seemed a little obsessive to me.

Slightly unrelated, but she also said she blocks any man who tries to interact with her without question. Since these are essentially commercial platforms could this be against equality legislation? Certainly if Tesco or the likes did it would be. Are these accounts still personal so equality acts don't apply? They wouldn't have a business without them.

I think she didn’t accept male followers for a year or two on Snapchat due to the amount of d*ck pics she was being sent.
    If a man genuinely wanted to follow her, they could do so by FB messaging her their Snapchat username and she would then accept. She accepted my friend after he did that, not sure what her story is these days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wyrn wrote: »
    That photo does no justice to whatever dress she's wearing. It looks like it's been shredded.

Probably all the filtering

She needs to accept the size she is and stop this ****e

The unedited pics that have been posted are a shocking indication of her delusion

Probably all the filtering

She needs to accept the size she is and stop this ****e

The unedited pics that have been posted are a shocking indication of her delusion

You can see the size she is next to maeve who really is a small and slim woman. No amount of photoshopping can change that.

You can see the size she is next to maeve who really is a small and slim woman. No amount of photoshopping can change that.

Is Maeve the blonde in the pic?

Is Maeve the blonde in the pic?

Yes she's Maeve Madden an Irish fitness blogger/pt/influencer.
    She has ibs and pcos and posts quite regularly about how it affects her work outs and doesn't shy away from 'bloated' pics. She's a bit of a bragger though and can be irritating but I like watching her workouts she's quite inspiring!

Yes she's Maeve Madden an Irish fitness blogger/pt/influencer.
    She has ibs and pcos and posts quite regularly about how it affects her work outs and doesn't shy away from 'bloated' pics. She's a bit of a bragger though and can be irritating but I like watching her workouts she's quite inspiring!

Well whats weird about the pic is that muf appears to have edited her torso to give herself either abs or flabby boobs falling out of her bra but not her huge arms

It's bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well whats weird about the pic is that muf appears to have edited her torso to give herself either abs or flabby boobs falling out of her bra but not her huge arms

It's bizarre

Definitely suffers from some sort of "body dysmorphia" and needs to get some professional help before its too late

• Advertisement

She really doesn’t seem to have taken anything from this except to ignore it and hope it’ll go away.
    It’s actually very sad that a woman her age would continue to behave like this.
    She is incapable of taking criticism and by continuing to photoshop her photos she’s making an absolute fool of herself.

Advertisement