Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is MUF looking a little less cartoonish and a little more mortal in her latest insta posts? Do we think she's beginning to cop herself on?

She's still editing photos. There was a photo on the Galway players insta story which showed what she really looked like vs her facetuned image in the same place that she put up.

The bubbles for breakfast photo has been edited, she's added abs into the one where her top is rolled up.
    All her snapchat stories use filters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Yeah that's obviously photoshopped (she looks bizarre in the Galway Players pic!) but the ridiculously distorted body facetune where she's literally halved her waist in size or got the lollipop head because she's made her body too comically small don't seem quite as obvious. It's like she's toning it down a notch but is totally unprepared to totally stop with the facetune altogether. To be fair she's obviously got real issues with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some of the photo's posted here are really laughable, its more than just photoshopping and squeezing stuff together - they are using green screens or something

Take this one
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105783493&postcount=93

The shadow doesn't even reach the right foot

(haven't read every post so maybe someone already pointed out the obvious already)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

fritzelly wrote: »
    Some of the photo's posted here are really laughable, its more than just photoshopping and squeezing stuff together - they are using green screens or something

Take this one
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105783493&postcount=93

The shadow doesn't even reach the right foot

(haven't read every post so maybe someone already pointed out the obvious already)
    Not saying the photo isn't manipulated in some way, but shadows falling on uneven surfaces form highly unintuitive shapes. A lot of the moon landing conspiracy theories are based on assumptions made on how the viewer thinks shadows should look.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not saying the photo isn't manipulated in some way, but shadows falling on uneven surfaces form highly unintuitive shapes. A lot of the moon landing conspiracy theories are based on assumptions made on how the viewer thinks shadows should look.

Which is fair enough, but if your foot is on the ground, then the shadow starts at your foot, unless there is some other spot light source shining on that 3 inch patch of ground...which would seem strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

GreeBo wrote: »
    Which is fair enough, but if your foot is on the ground, then the shadow starts at your foot, unless there is some other spot light source shining on that 3 inch patch of ground...which would seem strange.
    And the shadow most likely does start at the foot, we just can't see the base of the shadow due to the foliage/angle of the foot.

I mean what's more likely; a shadow is falling in an unexpected way from the point of view of the camera, or somebody has gone to the trouble of setting up a green screen shoot and combining that with a photo of a woodland, generating 95% of the correct shadows and dong it all very convincingly? Even hollywood studios don't go to that sort of hassle for foreground props/scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Guys, the shadow on her foot is the least of her problems. I'm more disturbed by the completely distorted body she gives herself and expects us to believe it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

She clearly took nothing on board anyway because she was still photoshopping her face this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It was on the news on the radio the day before yesterday, saying that it will enforced.
    I think she looks like Jen Gelfling from the Dark Crystal in her edited photos. She seems to elongate her face for some reason and then give herself protruding cheek bones.

In France, all retouched photographs have to carry a warning saying so, it does not matter if they are in a magazin, on TV or a blog.

Terrie McEvoy's sister in law has started a campaign and petition to have a facebook group that discusses bloggers shut down on the grounds of bullying, harassment, and prevention of suicide.

Terrie is the girl who was called out for rigging competitions with Tower Jewellers so that her friends and relatives would win.

I actually can't believe she pulled the suicide card. You couldn't make these antics up if they tried.

If these bloggers and influencers weren't so shady and dishonest, there would be nothing to talk about! Calling someone out for dishonestly running a competition is not bullying! Talking about said rigging is not harassment. And don't even get me started on the suicide prevention.
    This is getting ridiculous now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Terrie McEvoy's sister in law has started a campaign and petition to have a facebook group that discusses bloggers shut down on the grounds of bullying, harassment, and prevention of suicide.

Terrie is the girl who was called out for rigging competitions with Tower Jewellers so that her friends and relatives would win.

I actually can't believe she pulled the suicide card. You couldn't make these antics up if they tried.

If these bloggers and influencers weren't so shady and dishonest, there would be nothing to talk about! Calling someone out for dishonestly running a competition is not bullying! Talking about said rigging is not harassment. And don't even get me started on the suicide prevention.
    Is this the same sister in law who won the Tower Jewellers prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Where did you see that WhiteRoses?

forumuser wrote: »
    Where did you see that WhiteRoses?

Its all over fb but specifically on the Galz who Snap group. Its that group that has been targeted by the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Its all over fb but specifically on the Galz who Snap group. Its that group that has been targeted by the campaign.

No link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Can't see anything on gws page!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I had to laugh at that - who's getting a SoSu cut???

Get. Over. Yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

mcgiggles wrote: »
    I had to laugh at that - who's getting a SoSu cut???

Get. Over. Yourself.

Seriously? WTAF is a SoSu cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

capefear wrote: »

Must be really physically and emotionally draining to be caught lying/cheating and then use another excuse for why you did it. Then take the ostrich approach and wait for it to blow over (fat chance) and tell people to be nice to her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I came to post the same article (on Her.ie) https://www.her.ie/beauty/heart-right-place-irish-blogger-apologises-rigging-two-competitions-385328

"My heart was in the right place"............??

How? You rigged 2 competitions, how was your heart in the right place?

If you thought they deserved a gift from you, GO OUT AND BUY THEM ONE!!
    FFS.:mad:

I hope taking a little break means deleting all her accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I choose winners for any blog competitions I run, it's always completely at random, once they meet the entry criteria. It's the only fair way.

I find the idea of choosing a winner based the fact that you have a pre-existing relationship with them so unethical.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I saw that from the sister in law. I reckon she saw the articles posted in joe.ie etc and is trying to get her own name mentioned as she's trying to be a singer.
    To say that a facebook page is leading young people towards suicide is just dangerous and foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

She's going on there like bobby sands mentioning her hunger strike st every given opportunity, **** off Hun and make yourself a complan if it's that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Terrie has gotten some bad publicity and maybe an angry chat from TJ out of it. Now imagine if she messed up at work, that'd be way worse. She should thank her lucky stars, give a meaningful apology and move on.

This is why the blogging community has been up in arms (Influencers Assemble! :rolleyes:) up until now there hasn't been any real accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

All the people commenting on her Instagram saying "we've had all done the same, don't mind them Terri. You're a good person", are they actually serious?
    Her wording confirms that she didn;t just pick their names out at random and go with it, she fixed it so she could give items given to her in good faith by a company, to her friends/family as she "had reasons". What those reasons are is yet to be revealed.

If she just said, "sorry it's inexcusable but I am sorry" then fine but it's always laced with excuses, justifications and stories that annoys me. If I did what she did in my job, I'd be sacked. Its a gross violation of business practices policy. Also saying it was 3 years ago, you were 25, and a qualified nurse... so yeah that's not an excuse either.
    There is a definite inability to see anything they do as wrong or to truly own up or take accountability for anything within their community, and this needs to change.
    And that "sister in-law" needs to have a seat, she's made things a lot worse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I work for a media company and I love entering competitions, but I obviously can't enter any of the ones run by my company, nor can my family. She knew it was wrong at the time, and it's come back to bite her now.

She could have put a positive spin on it by running a new comp, no likes/shares/follows required, and have the prize be a Tower voucher/piece of jewellery paid from her own pocket. She embarrassed Tower too, potentially damaging their reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Simple question: Was EVERYONE bullied in school? :confused::rolleyes:

It seems to be the new 'my dad is dead' backstory they used on X-Factor!!!!

I was bullied in school so now I am an influencer???? (not me)

Advertisement