Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Now it makes a lot more sense, I can't stand seeing people on their phone while driving, never mind posting it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Has the MUF disappeared from social media altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has the MUF disappeared from social media altogether?

She seems to have gone suspiciously quiet alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Have people seen what Sarah Godfrey suggested that Rob Lipsett put her life in danger so she broke up with him!?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just read her statement, hints at something bad then asks for privacy, ffs. Looks like she took tips for muf

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

MUF is back, with an apology and says she has learned from the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

pc7 wrote: »
    And if you believe that you’ll believe anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is that to do with the 'retouching'?

Edited, I read it.

That is an awful lot of 'mistakes'. Too many imo.

I’ve actually been really humbled by this whole experience and gained a huge amount of knowledge

I don't get why anyone is still following her. If her 'bought' followers were the only ones following (and family and friends) would anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Reads like an apology for getting caught. Massively missing the point and trawling for sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Is the BloggersUnveiled page gone? Either that or I've been blocked for disagreeing with her...

Is the BloggersUnveiled page gone? Either that or I've been blocked for disagreeing with her...

No your right, it’s gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

No your right, it’s gone!

Interesting. I wonder what happened. I saw that someone in the comments kept mentioning it was this particular person behind it, Andrea something. Maybe they've been outed?

Interesting. I wonder what happened. I saw that someone in the comments kept mentioning it was this particular person behind it, Andrea something. Maybe they've been outed?

Oh Andrea Horan, she owns tropical popical. I follow her on instagram and she put up a post yesterday saying she wasn’t bloggers unvieled!
    I wonder is it around her anonymity after the style awards. Strange that it’s deleted altogether!!

Hope it isn’t gone, didn’t agree with all the posts but found some of them good

• Registered Users Posts: 6 claireod

I am so glad I am not growing up in this era and looking at this stuff every day thinking I need to live up to this...

• Advertisement

claireod wrote: »
    I am so glad I am not growing up in this era and looking at this stuff every day thinking I need to live up to this...

Big time, our holiday photos were on disposable cameras! You’d be lucky to get a few ones of the holiday at all. I am seriously amazed at some of the face tune/photoshopping people do. They look nothing like themselves, it has to be harmful to certain psyche .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Looking at the #bloggersunveiled, she has been revealed? Niamh O Donaghue, whoever that is?!

Honestly, I don't think her identity matters, she was doing a good thing, forcing bloggers to own up to their misleading practices. I sincerely hope she doesn't get in trouble.

If she was revealed, why delete it?
    Surely that would look more guilty? Also, no point in stopping now.. :D

How was she revealed does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daftpunk2018

The page is back but rakes of ppl think she went away because she was revealed in some way.

People seem to think its defo a journalist cause she keeps trying so hard to distance herself from being a journalist? Theres a girl people think it is from magazine called Nimah ODonoghue and another girl Sarah Magliocco whose a journalist who have both basically said on Instagram that its not them and the Sarah wan is going through who she thinks it is on her Insta story but Im not convinced.

The page came back with a post saying that shes just a normal person but i dont think that means shes not in the industry, but I dont think anyone has guessed who it is for real yet. Id say she went to that awards thing friday and was rumpled, got scared and the hate got to her and deactivate the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I see Paul Stenson has threatened BU. He's a nasty piece of work. I find him to be a very unlikable bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Telly wrote: »
    I see Paul Stenson has threatened BU. He's a nasty piece of work. I find him to be a very unlikable bully.

I don't always agree with BU - but he's being such a hypocrite on this one - he's definitely a bully, I don't understand how it hasn't affect the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

GingerLily wrote:
    I don't always agree with BU - but he's being such a hypocrite on this one - he's definitely a bully, I don't understand how it hasn't affect the business.

I'm usually a fan of his but he had crossed a line now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Who is BU please? I'm so out of the loop.
    Stenson usually has a point but takes things too far and enjoys the notoriety a bit too much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

dee_mc wrote: »
    Who is BU please? I'm so out of the loop.
    Stenson usually has a point but takes things too far and enjoys the notoriety a bit too much IMO.
    BU = Bloggers Unveiled

It's a (private) Instagram account which calls out bloggers out e.g. bloggers video while driving or not wearing their seatbelt correctly even though they were paid by the Road Safety Authority (RSA). Some even refunded the RSA their fee.

Here's some of the people caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

I bet you anything that he lost a chunk of followers after his I believe in Santa stunt, along with a few of the Bloggers Unveiled posts outing him for stuff.

Of course he needs someone to blame for this, so it's got to be Bloggers Unveiled's fault, not his. Of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I used to enjoy the White Moose Cafe snapchat. I even stayed at the lodge once. Then snapchat got that awful update so I deleted it and I realised just how much I didn't care for their snaps nor anyone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    I bet you anything that he lost a chunk of followers after his I believe in Santa stunt, along with a few of the Bloggers Unveiled posts outing him for stuff.

Of course he needs someone to blame for this, so it's got to be Bloggers Unveiled's fault, not his. Of course.

Yeah i stopped following him and the cafe after all that. He's not a nice person at all.

Yeah i stopped following him and the cafe after all that. He's not a nice person at all.

A very nasty man. A complete bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Same, he can be very nasty and petty.

I caught a bit of a radio show last Thursday or Friday in a coffee shop around 2:30 - 3pm and they were talking about bloggers and the law. I think it was Newstalk but I honestly don't know.

Anyway, they were saying that it is illegal to false advertise (obviously), but some bloggers get away with it because it is hard to distinguish from their 'opinion' and stating fact. One of the people talking mentioned that the bloggers who retouch their photos could be in a lot more trouble soon. As bloggers may soon be categorised or identified as a brand themselves (I think that is what she was saying), and that their opinion will also be seen as more than just an opinion, although not quite a professional recommendation. They have also been reviewing reviews and reviewers.

Seems that they are really looking at ways to crack down on them. Could be very interesting times ahead unless it is all talk, which is usually the case.
    I am annoyed i missed the end (and the beginning) if anyone knows what show it was, could they post it here please.

Edited to also ask, have any bloggers actually been pulled up for anything yet? Or have the laws that did come in, make them do anything differently. I haven't noticed anything, but then i probably wouldn't anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

MUF poor me article in the Indo today

'I'm not the scapegoat to change the entire industry' - Joanne Larby, aka 'The Makeup Fairy' tells her side of the story

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-features/im-not-the-scapegoat-to-change-the-entire-industry-joanne-larby-aka-the-makeup-fairy-tells-her-side-of-the-story-36961884.html

To be honest this article makes me like her even less. It's the "everyone was against me" vibe while not dealing with why the negativity started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

She can go do one. Reflection my ass. She wouldn't know how to be honest if it came over and offered her a product endorsement.

The last we should hear of her and her bleating heart rubbish.

She still doesn’t get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

“I cut off the tags cos I have OCD”
    Any reason as to why you advertised them as a 12?

“Editing as occurred in paintings as far back as Victorian times”
    Her justification for looking like a different human in her pics.

“I was targeted because I was a plus model, I was very relatable - a real girl”
    You were targeted because you were, and still are a filthy fraud.

“Honestly, when I moved to London, I was going to to the gym a lot more and integrating more fitness and training, which created a disconnect with the original followers”
    Because they’re all a pack of fatsos who wouldn’t know fitness if it hit them in the face, is that it?

“A couple of brands that when everything was at its worst, two were mentioned, they pulled away not wanting to be part of negativity. It was less to do with me, we left on good terms”
    It was everything to do with you, and not wanting to be a part of your toxic culture of lies and inability to take accountability for anything.

“Now I’m much more raw and less polished. I’m much more like myself and how I have always been in real life”
    No you’re not. The pics in this very article confirm that.

But what I will say is targeting her mother’s workplace is wrong.. but knowing her remarkable ability to be more than economical with the truth I’d take that with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Really she’d be better off doing photoshop and posing workshops. People would pay for those.

Both pics from the same day. One from the article, one from her Instagram.

https://m.imgur.com/nQTYkVp

Have just read the article. She's absolutely unbelievable. Completely unwilling to accept any responsibility whatsoever. She's her own worst enemy but I don't think she's ever going to realise that.

She’s such a tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

She also claimed there was minimal editing on the blonde wig picture.... sure. Pictures taken just a couple of weeks apart.

https://imgur.com/a/zMdzQk2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

She also claimed there was minimal editing on the blonde wig picture.... sure. Pictures taken just a couple of weeks apart.

https://imgur.com/a/zMdzQk2

sure the day of the shoot she had a no filters face shot in her Instagram too looks nothing like the shots in the indo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

“I cut off the tags cos I have OCD”
    Any reason as to why you advertised them as a 12?

“Editing as occurred in paintings as far back as Victorian times”
    Her justification for looking like a different human in her pics.

“I was targeted because I was a plus model, I was very relatable - a real girl”
    You were targeted because you were, and still are a filthy fraud.

“Honestly, when I moved to London, I was going to to the gym a lot more and integrating more fitness and training, which created a disconnect with the original followers”
    Because they’re all a pack of fatsos who wouldn’t know fitness if it hit them in the face, is that it?

“A couple of brands that when everything was at its worst, two were mentioned, they pulled away not wanting to be part of negativity. It was less to do with me, we left on good terms”
    It was everything to do with you, and not wanting to be a part of your toxic culture of lies and inability to take accountability for anything.

“Now I’m much more raw and less polished. I’m much more like myself and how I have always been in real life”
    No you’re not. The pics in this very article confirm that.

But what I will say is targeting her mother’s workplace is wrong.. but knowing her remarkable ability to be more than economical with the truth I’d take that with a pinch of salt.

I would like this 10 millions times if I could!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Really she’d be better off doing photoshop and posing workshops. People would pay for those.

Both pics from the same day. One from the article, one from her Instagram.

https://m.imgur.com/nQTYkVp

My wife follows her though less these days and but she's just said the same. I had a quick look through her IG and she seems far far slimmer on IG than her Indo photos. Seems like a complete spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm disappointed the Independent didn't challenge her more on some of her lies, they're all well known at this stage. It's not exactly hard hitting journalism.

LizT wrote: »
    I'm disappointed the Independent didn't challenge her more on some of her lies, they're all well known at this stage. It's not exactly hard hitting journalism.

It's the independent.

They thrive on people like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I just don't know how you can support someone who is so dishonest?

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    I just don't know how you can support someone who is so dishonest?

It really is mind boggling.

ratmouse wrote: »
    It really is mind boggling.

What is more mind boggling is that she still doesn't understand how what she was selling herself 'her brand' as was just so wrong and distorted, basically false. That's why people were pissed, we aren't haters and all that other sh1te that gets spouted.

What is more mind boggling is that she still doesn't understand how what she was selling herself 'her brand' as was just so wrong and distorted, basically false. That's why people were pissed, we aren't haters and all that other sh1te that gets spouted.

Unreal denial and delusion in my opinion.

It seems to be a theme, when called out on something.
    They Deny, ignore or remain adamant that they are doing nothing wrong or are in the right.

I would really like to see somebody spell it out to her in the most simplistic terms possible, exactly what she was/is doing and why it is wrong etc. and see what she has to say then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

The major issue with the MUF is she has not been held accountable for any of her dubious actions. So why should she address them or change her ways when she really doesn't need to.

The influencer industry has grown into a celebrity style way of life, as such they will always have loyal fans who continue to support them and see no fault in anything they do. The big issue with the MUF and several others is they now profit off this lifestyle and consider themselves entrepreneurs and brands. This is were they lose the protection of being a celebrity and need to be held accountable as a business.

Just imagine if a business pulled half the stunts that she has? They would be in serious legal trouble.

At this stage she needs to accept that she's not some woman who can claim victim and pass it off as insecurities or pressure, if she wants to be a business woman then she's going to have to deal with everything head on for once and really start some damage control in order to rebuild. She needs to address every issue raised by her consumers and legitimately deal with them. You know, how an actual business would.

In saying that, I wouldn't class her as a business woman or an entrepreneur. She's just a front for whatever product line easi locks have funded. She has not built anything or impacted any market in a quantifiable way that would let me call her a business woman. If anything, she's set woman in business back a few years because apparently we can only succeed if we alter our image and edit our life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement