Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    Appointment number three: another no show
    I had same problem with KN just keep ringing Eir you should get it at some stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why are no other operators offering FTTH, are they just letting eir retail take all the crap for installations then they swoop in when the work is done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why are no other operators offering FTTH, are they just letting eir retail take all the crap for installations then they swoop in when the work is done?

There are other operators offering the service.

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The ones with the green house icon are FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Lots of other operators offering FTTH:

- Every provider with a house logo on here offereing OpenEIR FTTH: http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ ... and some more, that aren't listed
    - SIRO based providers: http://www.siro.ie
    - At least one other access network provider building, but not launched yet
    - Some small developments by regional providers.
    - Virgin rolling out FTTH

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Are any of those offering fibre, and connecting it, to rural FTTH customers, though?

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Are any of those offering fibre, and connecting it, to rural FTTH customers, though?

What exactly are you looking for ?

Any of the providers on the fiber-rollout page, that have a house logo, are offering FTTH on the OpenEIR platform (rural and urban) .. on par with Eir retail, but with different packages, pricing and service. Eir retail is not OpenEIR.

/M

Yes. All of the providers listed on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ are offering services on openeir's network which is due to pass 300000 rural homes by the end of 2018.

Marlow wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking for ?

Any of the providers on the fiber-rollout page, that have a house logo, are offering FTTH on the OpenEIR platform (rural and urban) .. on par with Eir retail, but with different packages, pricing and service. Eir retail is not OpenEIR.

/M

I am looking for someone posting on this thread that Virgin, or someone other than Eir, have sent someone around to their house to connect their house to the network.

I am looking for someone posting on this thread that Virgin, or someone other than Eir, have sent someone around to their house to connect their house to the network.

Lots of people in this thread, that have connections with for example Digiweb opposed to Eir ... on the rural roll out. Just need to read back. Westnet, too.

/M

Most of them are only offering 100mb, and a few basically saying contact us and we'll let you know (tho never heard of them). I had been checking the big players and none seem to offer more than 100mb

• Advertisement

Most of them are only offering 100mb, and a few basically saying contact us and we'll let you know (tho never heard of them). I had been checking the big players and none seem to offer more than 100mb

Digiweb are probably the largest ISP outside of eir currently offering service. Hopefully Sky and Vodafone will join soon to drive further competition on prices.

If they don't offer more than 100 Mbit/s, then they wouldn't have the house logo on the fiber-rollout site either.

Only the ones with the house logo do.

/M

Digiweb are probably the largest ISP outside of eir currently offering service. Hopefully Sky and Vodafone will join soon to drive further competition on prices.

Strange, I checked a few places that I know have fibre cabinets and the results were always 100Mb only

Strange, I checked a few places that I know have fibre cabinets and the results were always 100Mb only

If they have cabinets it is likely only 100Mb max on FTTC. Openeir's current rollout is targeted at non FTTC areas.

If they have cabinets it is likely only 100Mb max on FTTC. Openeir's current rollout is targeted at non FTTC areas.

So if their is already FTTC then they're not bothering upgrading the area anymore? That sucks - not chancing that to find out I can get 5mb

So if their is already FTTC then they're not bothering upgrading the area anymore? That sucks - not chancing that to find out I can get 5mb

It is somewhat complicated now. eir have recently come under new ownership and the rumours are that the new owners want to focus on more investment in urban areas i.e. upgrading the FTTC areas to FTTH. So it is possible that there will be a shift in eir's priority in the short to medium term.

Lots of people in this thread, that have connections with for example Digiweb opposed to Eir ... on the rural roll out. Just need to read back. Westnet, too.

/M

I am pretty familiar with those posts, but can't recall a single post saying anyone, other than Eir, made the actual connection. Plenty saying Eir made the connection for free then they cancelled with Eir and swapped to Digeweb.

Quite unethical, IMO.

Correct. If the yellow line passed a green blob, then there's no FTTH (in the majority of cases). They've bypassed most urban areas even though it crosses through the urban area from one rural to another rural area.

FTTH is not fed from fiber cabinets. It's fed from the exchange. A fiber cabinet does not tell you about FTTH being available. Fiber distribution points on the poles does, though.
    I am pretty familiar with those posts, but can't recall a single post saying anyone, other than Eir, made the actual connection. Plenty saying Eir made the connection for free then they cancelled with Eir and swapped to Digeweb.

Quite unethical, IMO.

That's up to each individual, if they don't want to pay the installation fee. OpenEIR is charging the providers A LOT more, than what for example Digiweb and others are charging for the installation. It's Eir (retails) own perogative, if they wan't to conquer the market at a big loss. They know the risks and laws.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys,

Got 150mbps FTTH installed last Friday but still waiting for the account to be activated.

We have rang Eir numerous times and they keep saying wait 24/48 hours and it will kick in but we are still waiting four days later.

On the router we have a green light over power and wifi, DSL and Internet and have no green light.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks

Quite unethical, IMO.

Digiweb can connect you though (via KN). It is simply because eir are currently offering free installation and Digiweb are charging €200, I believe, that most are opting for eir.

• Advertisement

FTTH is not fed from fiber cabinets. It's fed from the exchange. A fiber cabinet does not tell you about FTTH being available. Fiber distribution points on the poles does, though.

My mistake, thought it came from the cabinets, oops - tho it doesn't make sense to me why you have a fibre cabinet but you can't provide FTTH from it, will have to look at one more closely tomorrow and the poles around it.

ps
    what happened to the page numbers on threads from the home page, annoying to click thru only to have to click to the last page

My mistake, thought it came from the cabinets, oops - tho it doesn't make sense to me why you have a fibre cabinet but you can't provide FTTH from it, will have to look at one more closely tomorrow and the poles around it.

The reason, that OpenEIR calls them fiber cabinets is because they are fed with fiber to drive their VDSL DSLAMs. So fiber in and VDSL out. Hence it's called FTTC = Fiber to the Cabinet.

The actual line to the end customer then has nothing to do with fiber, but it sounds better to call them fiber cabinets and eFiber Broadband. Sounds more sexy to call it something with fiber, instead of DSL. Since they've already tarnished the DSL name with slow broadband.

The thing is, that the gear installed in these cabinets has to be hardened type equipment, so costs more.

The FTTH equipment however doesn't have the distance limitations on the fiber cabling, as the DSL equipment has on the copper cabling. So you can use non-hardened gear, put it in the exchange and provide it with more cooling, backup power, batteries etc .. all stuff, that the road-side cabinets don't have space for.

Ergo: fiber cabinets are for copper connections. Optical fiber distribution points on the poles are for fiber, which is terminated directly to the customer.

Any connection of a "fiber cabinet" can't do more than 100 Mbit/s, because it's copper to the customer.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

I am pretty familiar with those posts, but can't recall a single post saying anyone, other than Eir, made the actual connection.

We've installed a few hundred open eir FTTH and VDSL customers.

ps
    what happened to the page numbers on threads from the home page, annoying to click thru only to have to click to the last page

Sense and telecoms in this country seem to be strangers. I live about 1400m from a fibre cabinet, which is on the same road. My BB connection is actually all the way back to the exchange, at about 3000m away. Two different providers say I would get a lower speed if I was connected to a cabinet that is less than half the distance away.

Sense and telecoms in this country seem to be strangers. I live about 1400m from a fibre cabinet, which is on the same road. My BB connection is actually all the way back to the exchange, at about 3000m away. Two different providers say I would get a lower speed if I was connected to a cabinet that is less than half the distance away.

Are you on FTTH or FTTC ? If you're on FTTH, then that is correct. And sense certainly was involved. Read my post above on the reasoning.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Nenagh seems to be getting wired up, My poles have the cables ran and on the main road I see they have the black box up the pole, terminating the cables.
    I have the "Great news you will be connected from Oc to Dec 2017" message from Eir but heard nothing since. From what I can see only 9 properties have been turned on but they appear to be taking a while to enable the rest anyone have any insights on what could be the delay?

Aside from that, I would love to have a chat with potential installs to see best way to get the cable to the house from the pole as I have a 250m driveway from the nearest pole (The pole where the DSL is coming from) and I would say that the 2" duct taking my existing DSL line will be very hard to get anything through such a distance, will the installers even try ?

Are you on FTTH or FTTC ? If you're on FTTH, then that is correct. And sense certainly was involved. Read my post above on the reasoning.

/M

I'm on neither, I am on ADSL, with FTTH a prospect when they get around to it.

The seemingly nonsensical part is that I have been told that if a switched to FTTC, a cabinet just under half the distance to the exchange, I would apparently see a speed decrease from the 7 - 8 Mbps I currently get.

The seemingly nonsensical part is that I have been told that if a switched to FTTC, a cabinet just under half the distance to the exchange, I would apparently see a speed decrease from the 7 - 8 Mbps I currently get.

You would not be connected to the cabinet though. You would still be served from the exchange and at long distances VDSL (FTTC) performs worse than ADSL2 which is why you would see a drop in speed.

That is a very feasable explanation.

At 1400m, the cable length can be longer. That means, the absolute max you can expect is 12 Mbit/s at 1500m and an optimal cable run.

We've seen this in the past. With advanced features, that will result in higher speeds on shorter distance, the longer distances suffer.

With ADSL2 products the increased speed even resultet in higher ping times causes gamers to suffer, so that packages had to be rolled out with lower speeds at the older technology to accodate lower and more consistant ping times.

VDSL sacrifices distance over speed. So yes .. what you've been told is actually sound advice.

/M

• Advertisement

irelandjoe wrote: »
    Nenagh seems to be getting wired up, My poles have the cables ran and on the main road I see they have the black box up the pole, terminating the cables.
    I have the "Great news you will be connected from Oc to Dec 2017" message from Eir but heard nothing since. From what I can see only 9 properties have been turned on but they appear to be taking a while to enable the rest anyone have any insights on what could be the delay?

Aside from that, I would love to have a chat with potential installs to see best way to get the cable to the house from the pole as I have a 250m driveway from the nearest pole (The pole where the DSL is coming from) and I would say that the 2" duct taking my existing DSL line will be very hard to get anything through such a distance, will the installers even try ?

I'm not sure if the standard rods they carry would even do 250M. They may try but if it fails it will be your responsibility to fix the ducting, perhaps installing an access point midway would be an option. Let them try first though before you go to any expense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement