Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does opposing a United Ireland automatically make you unpatriotic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,252 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

baylah17 wrote: »
    Insensitive???
    You call sneeringly CELEBRATING what is a crime against humanity insensitive.
    See that's why we in this state want nothing to do with the six counties
    Attitudes like that both by the perpetrator and his apologists
    Give me an example of an Irish TD Sneerinhly CELEBRATING the slaughter of innocents
    Go on

:) So it has gone from CELEBRATING to sneeringly CELEBRATING.

:) Priceless. I'd wager you haven't even seen the tweet. Coz if you have you are running away with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Like the bogeyman who CELEBRATE the slaughter of 10 protestant workers at Kingsmills by sneeringly donning a Kingsmills sliced pan on their head on the anniversary of their slaughter.
    Keep them in their six county pen they have zero in common with us.

No southern politician has ever made an insensitive remark? Are you actually being serious here or just trolling?
    By Southern do you mean Waterford or Cork?
    Or are just being snidely disrespectful of my state by using a derogatory term?

Insensitive???
    You call sneeringly CELEBRATING what is a crime against humanity insensitive.
    See that's why we in this state want nothing to do with the six counties
    Attitudes like that both by the perpetrator and his apologists
    Give me an example of an Irish TD Sneerinhly CELEBRATING the slaughter of innocents
    Go on

:) So it has gone from CELEBRATING to sneeringly CELEBRATING.

:) Priceless. I'd wager you haven't even seen the tweet. Coz if you have you are running away with yourself.
    St least I'm not defending an apologist for mass murder who thinks it's a real whizz to insult the families of the dead on the anniversary of the atrocity

St least I'm not defending an apologist for mass murder who thinks it's a real whizz to insult the families of the dead on the anniversary of the atrocity

I didn't defend him. I said over and over it was an insensitive lapse of judgement.

Good to see you have dropped 'sneeringly CELEBRATING' from the charge sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My heart says yes but my head says no.

And my heart only says yes in a vague misty eyed longing for a past that never existed kind of way.

I've been to Belfast and being brutally honest, I didn't much care for it.Lots of Union Jacks and potato farls.

We drove around the peace walls and the missus (foreign) was gobsmacked. Most people don't realise these things are still standing and that the gates close every night at 8pm because if they don't the two communities might..what? massacre each other?

Heres the thing; It does not feel like Ireland. It is decidedly somewhere else. But it also dosnt feel like the mainland UK. Strange place and not somewhere I'd be in a hurry to take responsibility for.

And what would the trade off be for people in the north? Lose the NHS, have worse cars, more expensive drink and get what in return; free water and Leo's sock collection?

We'd also lose Parcel Motel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

SF say he did nothing wrong but suspends him for 3 months anyway.
    He should have lost his job, no question. How is the north expected to move forward with bigoted idiots like this running the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Discodog wrote: »
    When both sides can be 100% open & truthful about the past then maybe they can be entrusted with the future.

I genuinely believe that Nordies have absolutely no interest in the future. To them all aspects of their day to day living is dictated by the past. A terrible existence and not compatible with the can-do attitude of our young people in Ireland. (I don't consider Nordies to be Irish)

When both sides can be 100% open & truthful about the past then maybe they can be entrusted with the future.

I genuinely believe that Nordies have absolutely no interest in the future. To them all aspects of their day to day living is dictated by the past. A terrible existence and not compatible with the can-do attitude of our young people in Ireland. (I don't consider Nordies to be Irish)
    + 1000
    And I cannot see the people of this state ever wanting to joined with Northern Ireland
    I am unaware of any poll that shows any chance that we would want to open our borders to to them.

+ 1000
    And I cannot see the people of this state ever wanting to joined with Northern Ireland
    I am unaware of any poll that shows any chance that we would want to open our borders to to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

+ 1000

Excluding undecided is over 50%

https://www.rte.ie/amp/857226/

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    SF say he did nothing wrong but suspends him for 3 months anyway.
    He should have lost his job, no question. How is the north expected to move forward with bigoted idiots like this running the place.

We're did they say he did nothing wrong? You must have read/heard a different interview than I heard with O'Neill

We're did they say he did nothing wrong? You must have read/heard a different interview than I heard with O'Neill

Oh, good more splitting of hairs for Francie.

Oh, good more splitting of hairs for Francie.

Do you have a link to where they said he did nothing wrong or not Mark?

Do you have a link to where they said he did nothing wrong or not Mark?

Are you on overtime Francie? About 70 posts in the past 24 hours all defiending SF, a United Ireland or the PIRA. It gets tedious after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Actions speak louder than words. Have they expelled him yet?

Are you on overtime Francie? About 70 posts in the past 24 hours all defiending SF, a United Ireland or the PIRA. It gets tedious after a while.

Did you find that link Mark?

Did you find that link Mark?

What am I, your lacky? Do your own work.

What am I, your lacky? Do your own work.

:D:D:D You have time to trawl my posts but none to find back up for your claims. Excellent. We'll know for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The past is another country really.

I have to agree with you here.

Events like partition have zero relevance to today.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have to agree with you here.

Events like partition have zero relevance to today.

I know you cling to the notion that you are achieving something here but I will just repeat what I said about 'partition'

It is the 'effects of partition' that are still being felt today'.

Try and accept that is what I said. Good man.

• Advertisement

It carries an 'Aim'.

If you actively oppose an Aim of a country, after the requisite conditions have been met (a majority vote in the north in this case) you are essentially being unpatriotic to that country.
    That is your right, just be aware of what it is you are doing, is the point.

I have never heard such nonsense before.

It is the essence of democracy to allow for dissent and protest. Of course someone can actively oppose an aim of a country, in fact, the country can freely decide to change the aim.

I know you cling to the notion that you are achieving something here but I will just repeat what I said about 'partition'

It is the 'effects of partition' that are still being felt today'.

Try and accept that is what I said. Good man.

As a well-esteemed poster said: "The past is another country really".

The effects of partition, like any event, diminish over time. It has a much smaller effect on the politics of today than more recent events such as Canary Wharf, Brighton and other terrorist attacks.

I have never heard such nonsense before.

It is the essence of democracy to allow for dissent and protest. Of course someone can actively oppose an aim of a country, in fact, the country can freely decide to change the aim.

People who refuse to go to war are frequently called 'unpatriotic'.
    Is that not doing what you said? Opposing the 'aim' of a country?

As a well-esteemed poster said: "The past is another country really".

The effects of partition, like any event, diminish over time. It has a much smaller effect on the politics of today than more recent events such as Canary Wharf, Brighton and other terrorist attacks.

They have clearly diminished for you. No doubt about that.

:) You just accused me of being apologist for the murders of children and old men and didn't back it up in any way.

Pointing out that the BA, you are defending, killed many many children too is also excusing?
    Despite your incredible hypocrisy and quite wrong accusation, it is not excusing, it is demonstrating that the BA also terrified many by their actions and for that reason can be called terrorists by those they terrified.

Nobody is defending the killing of many many children by the British Army.

However, there are quite a number of posters on here who routinely and disgustingly defend the terrorist campaign of the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

shill
    noun

an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

northern ireland is part of your country whether you like it or not.

lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

United under what? If Ireland was united under it's current format then it would more closely resemble an occupation which I would not support. Having a Taoiseach whose name is Varadakar is beginning of the end for any notion of Independence.

Nobody is defending the killing of many many children by the British Army.

However, there are quite a number of posters on here who routinely and disgustingly defend the terrorist campaign of the IRA.

I think the violence in northern Ireland was wrong and should never have happened. All of it.
    But it happened.

We need to ensure it doesn't happen again. The south is safe from descending into violence because the essential problem has been fixed due to another violent campaign.
    The north isn't however and I will work to my dying day to ensure that nobody has to resort to violence, either to defend a failed statelet or to try to violently remove the cause of the problem.
    That is why the GFA is a process, we must constantly test what the people of NI want, be that to remain in the UK or to have a UI.

• Advertisement

It carries an 'Aim'.

If you actively oppose an Aim of a country, after the requisite conditions have been met (a majority vote in the north in this case) you are essentially being unpatriotic to that country.
    That is your right, just be aware of what it is you are doing, is the point.

The Donald Trump argument wont wash with middle Ireland.

Advertisement