Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA fundraise 6.3% of what Mayo do

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

why should a small number of counties benefit hugely from commercial income?
    when that same revenue stream isn't available to most counties.

there isn't a business located in Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Sligo, Offaly etc capable of the level of sponsorship deals that the likes of Dublin have benefitted from
    and the range of them - nutrition, cars, clothing, travel, hotel group

nearly every big business has its HQ in Dublin
    and more culchies end up living in Dublin than in their own counties

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    why should a small number of counties benefit hugely from commercial income?
    when that same revenue stream isn't available to most counties.

there isn't a business located in Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Sligo, Offaly etc capable of the level of sponsorship deals that the likes of Dublin have benefitted from
    and the range of them - nutrition, cars, clothing, travel, hotel group

nearly every big business has its HQ in Dublin
    and more culchies end up living in Dublin than in their own counties

Yes Dublin benefit more with their population and current dominance. But the likes of Mayo, Kerry etc do ok too! This is a combination of success but also the popularity of the sport in these counties. GAA is by far the most popular sport. Our county players are household names. It’s good business for car dealerships etc to be seen to support our county team/players. This is just not the case in other counties. This is just how the world works. The top teams in every sport attract the most commercial income.

Personally I think Croke Park should be helping the weaker counties more rather than the extra cash being directed Dublin’s way. Dublin needed that money at the start due to the sheer numbers involved and the logistics involved but I really think the policy of directing so much extra cash towards the dominant team is unfair. At this stage, that extra funding should at the very least be reduced or the funding to other, less dominant counties should be increased to help narrow the gap at underage levels in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

glack wrote: »
    I agree with the vast majority of what you said here and what has been said on this thread. Lots of stupid Dubs county board bashing going on I’m this thread!! They are clearly doing a good job!!!

But when I’m point 4 I think you’re way off the mark. Yes mayo and Kerry spend more. But I’d love to see a side by side comparison of the spending when travel expenses are removed. Mayo have 11/12 players each year living in Dublin. During the league, that means they have have 2 separate training sessions mid week - one in Mayo and one in Dublin. I would imagine their Dublin training venue is rented. The Dublin based players will need Dublin gym memberships as well as access to facilities in Mayo. They then have travel expenses for traveling home to Mayo every weekend for training/league match. During championship, they travel down midweek also. More expense. These are additional expenses that Dublin simply don’t have! Also, Mayo is a massive county by comparison to Dublin. Mayo is the third largest and Dublin is the third smallest. The distances some players based in Mayo have to travel are much vaster than those in Dublin. And expenses are paid based on distance traveled rather than time taken in the car. From Belmullet to castlebar for example is a 144km round trip! That’s like driving from Dublin City Centre to Mullingar and back again!!!!

Well said.

Advertisement