Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Dublin GAA fundraise 6.3% of what Mayo do

2

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ Squareball
    Registered User


    I’m a Dub all day long but I also believe transparency is very important IN EVERY COUNTY and a national level.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭ Poor_old_gill
    Registered User


    I'm confused, so what are we giving Dublin a kicking for now?

    While I do think that it is important to point out funding disparity, etc- I'm not fully sure the point of this 'blog' is.
    County with the most well run & professional set up have a high admin cost? I'm not surprised.

    The level of funding/money coming in is a different debate and that has been well worn at this stage and have no desire to drag it up again- but to say that Dublin dont spend their money well is nonsense.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    Clue is in topic subject. The best supported most successful county does almost no fundraising and is largely bank rolled by commercial income and grants.

    You've done well to miss the point of the blog.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭ Poor_old_gill
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Clue is in topic subject. The best supported most successful county does almost no fundraising and is largely bank rolled by commercial income and grants.

    You've done well to miss the point of the blog.

    Fundraising is just that- a last resort, you've done well to miss what the word represents.

    I think everyone knows that Dublin have wealthy sponsors like AIG and I'm not sure why you expect them to fundraise when they dont need to.

    In essence your article is pointing out that they have wealthy sponsors and thus dont need to fundraise.

    I dont think you understand the point that you have made or are trying to make- as you are just dealing in statements without even the slightest bit of analysis


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    Fundraising is just that- a last resort, you've done well to miss what the word represents.

    I think everyone knows that Dublin have wealthy sponsors like AIG and I'm not sure why you expect them to fundraise when they dont need to.

    In essence your article is pointing out that they have wealthy sponsors and thus dont need to fundraise.

    I dont think you understand the point that you have made or are trying to make- as you are just dealing in statements without even the slightest bit of analysis

    most counties rely mainly on fundraising eg Roscommon, Sligo, Longford

    its a bit of an uneven playing field.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    most counties rely mainly on fundraising eg Roscommon, Sligo, Longford

    its a bit of an uneven playing field.

    Life is an uneven playing field. If Dublin are not fund-raising - and doh! only people who are going to divvy up for that are Dubs - then it leaves more room for everyone else.

    By the way, I don't think there is one single Leinster county that doesn't get more from share of Dublin CP attendances than they do from Pat the Baker or whoever.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    And spend 3 times as much on administration as Cork GAA do.

    Wrote about Dublin’s GAA finances here https://veryintobloggingveryintonewmedia.wordpress.com/2018/01/01/dublin-gaa-finances-under-the-microscope/

    Not sure if people just shrug their shoulders at these facts or just don’t care. But I feel it’s important to give the lie to the version we hear over the airwaves that “Dublin GAA do everything well”. Truth is they look to be doing things extremely badly looking at their accounts.

    Your blog has done excellent research. However, it has missed the point of Dublin finances completely and as a result is glaringly erroneous.

    Dublin has a large population and a huge number of adults and children playing the game - 23 Adult Leagues, 40 Adult Cups, 20 Minor Leagues and to give just one example 38 competitions at Under-13 level.

    This answers your points in a number of ways -

    1. Dublin spend a vast amount of money administering all of these competitions for ordinary adults and children

    2. Dublin supporters spend a hell of an amount of time working voluntarily with their local clubs as coaches and administrators, not a lot of time left for fund-raising.

    3. The number of clubs in those competitions shows how healthy the club scene is in Dublin. A huge amount of local fundraising for clubs goes on, with Dublin supporters heavily involved in that.

    4. Dublin do not spend a huge amount of money on their inter-county teams in comparison to the likes of Mayo in particular but also Kerry. As I have repeatedly said, those counties waste the money they raise on their inter-county teams while Dublin focus their attention on the clubs and the juveniles. A by-product of that is a constant stream of players ready for inter-county football but it is not the primary purpose which is to bring opportunities to play the game to anyone in the county who wants to play.


    So thanks again for a blog which just helps prove my point, just a pity your blinkers didn't allow you to see the underlying conclusions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭ Poor_old_gill
    Registered User


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    most counties rely mainly on fundraising eg Roscommon, Sligo, Longford

    its a bit of an uneven playing field.

    I’m not disagreeing with that- but that’s just a well agreed upon statement

    Any analysis carried out will show that Dublin don’t fundraise because they don’t need to.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    blanch152 wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    And spend 3 times as much on administration as Cork GAA do.

    Wrote about Dublin’s GAA finances here https://veryintobloggingveryintonewmedia.wordpress.com/2018/01/01/dublin-gaa-finances-under-the-microscope/

    Not sure if people just shrug their shoulders at these facts or just don’t care. But I feel it’s important to give the lie to the version we hear over the airwaves that “Dublin GAA do everything well”. Truth is they look to be doing things extremely badly looking at their accounts.

    Your blog has done excellent research. However, it has missed the point of Dublin finances completely and as a result is glaringly erroneous.

    Dublin has a large population and a huge number of adults and children playing the game - 23 Adult Leagues, 40 Adult Cups, 20 Minor Leagues and to give just one example 38 competitions at Under-13 level.

    This answers your points in a number of ways -

    1. Dublin spend a vast amount of money administering all of these competitions for ordinary adults and children

    2. Dublin supporters spend a hell of an amount of time working voluntarily with their local clubs as coaches and administrators, not a lot of time left for fund-raising.

    3. The number of clubs in those competitions shows how healthy the club scene is in Dublin. A huge amount of local fundraising for clubs goes on, with Dublin supporters heavily involved in that.

    4. Dublin do not spend a huge amount of money on their inter-county teams in comparison to the likes of Mayo in particular but also Kerry. As I have repeatedly said, those counties waste the money they raise on their inter-county teams while Dublin focus their attention on the clubs and the juveniles. A by-product of that is a constant stream of players ready for inter-county football but it is not the primary purpose which is to bring opportunities to play the game to anyone in the county who wants to play.


    So thanks again for a blog which just helps prove my point, just a pity your blinkers didn't allow you to see the underlying conclusions.

    I wouldn’t take any of your points seriously as they are nonsense but when you come out with Dublin don’t spend that much on their intercounty teams incomparision to Mayo how do you expect to be taken seriously?

    The most likely reason by a long way why Dublin don’t fundraise is that they couldn’t be bothered because they get so much money (over 2.5million a year) from the GAA development grants and from commercial sponsors.

    That is the straight truth if it, not the absolute nonsense you’ve offered up.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Clue is in topic subject. The best supported most successful county does almost no fundraising and is largely bank rolled by commercial income and grants.

    You've done well to miss the point of the blog.

    Fundraising is just that- a last resort, you've done well to miss what the word represents.

    I think everyone knows that Dublin have wealthy sponsors like AIG and I'm not sure why you expect them to fundraise when they dont need to.

    In essence your article is pointing out that they have wealthy sponsors and thus dont need to fundraise.

    I dont think you understand the point that you have made or are trying to make- as you are just dealing in statements without even the slightest bit of analysis

    If it wasn’t for fundraising and volunteerism there would be no GAA.

    There’s a reason it’s called Croke Park, cusack stand, Hogan stand. These men built the association. Not Vodafone or AIG.

    A last resort? You know nothing about the history of the GAA. Read a book.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    If it wasn’t for fundraising and volunteerism there would be no GAA.

    There’s a reason it’s called Croke Park, cusack stand, Hogan stand. These men built the association. Not Vodafone or AIG.

    A last resort? You know nothing about the history of the GAA. Read a book.


    There was GAA in Dublin when most of country had surrendered to the priests and the Brits after 1890. We didn't call it Parnell Park for no reason.

    You get the books my friend.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    If it wasn’t for fundraising and volunteerism there would be no GAA.

    There’s a reason it’s called Croke Park, cusack stand, Hogan stand. These men built the association. Not Vodafone or AIG.

    A last resort? You know nothing about the history of the GAA. Read a book.


    There was GAA in Dublin when most of country had surrendered to the priests and the Brits after 1890. We didn't call it Parnell Park for no reason.

    You get the books my friend.

    What would you recommend?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 klairondavis
    Registered User


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    There was GAA in Dublin when most of country had surrendered to the priests and the Brits after 1890. We didn't call it Parnell Park for no reason.

    You get the books my friend.

    Sure Parnell was a Wicklow man.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭ ArielAtom
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Clue is in topic subject. The best supported most successful county does almost no fundraising and is largely bank rolled by commercial income and grants.

    You've done well to miss the point of the blog.

    With the sponsorship Dublin don’t need to panhandle to all and sundry😉


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    There was GAA in Dublin when most of country had surrendered to the priests and the Brits after 1890. We didn't call it Parnell Park for no reason.

    You get the books my friend.

    Sure Parnell was a Wicklow man.

    Think most of his history knowledge came on his father’s knee and not out of a book..


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    ArielAtom wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Clue is in topic subject. The best supported most successful county does almost no fundraising and is largely bank rolled by commercial income and grants.

    You've done well to miss the point of the blog.

    With the sponsorship Dublin don’t need to panhandle to all and sundry😉

    Panhandling to the GAA to the tune of 2.5 million a year


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Think most of his history knowledge came on his father’s knee and not out of a book..


    Dublin was only place in Ireland where Parnell had support after 1890. Was run out of the bog. And Dublin was one of few counties where the GAA survived after the church tried to close it down.

    Combination of father's knee, Phd, and lots of books. you should do the same :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Think most of his history knowledge came on his father’s knee and not out of a book..


    Dublin was only place in Ireland where Parnell had support after 1890. Was run out of the bog. And Dublin was one of few counties where the GAA survived after the church tried to close it down.

    Combination of father's knee, Phd, and lots of books. you should do the same :)

    Fair play to you, that's me told.

    So what books would you recommend?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t take any of your points seriously as they are nonsense but when you come out with Dublin don’t spend that much on their intercounty teams incomparision to Mayo how do you expect to be taken seriously?

    The most likely reason by a long way why Dublin don’t fundraise is that they couldn’t be bothered because they get so much money (over 2.5million a year) from the GAA development grants and from commercial sponsors.

    That is the straight truth if it, not the absolute nonsense you’ve offered up.

    It is extremely difficult to give you blog posts any credibility at all when it comes out with rubbish like this: "it is hard to see how Dublin are getting value for money for the vast amount of expenditure on administrators that show so little return in terms of fund raising. "

    Do you seriously believe that it is the job of administrators to fund-raise? Seriously???

    The problem with all of the Dublin-haters is that they have absolutely no idea of the scale of the Dublin club scene.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    blanch152 wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t take any of your points seriously as they are nonsense but when you come out with Dublin don’t spend that much on their intercounty teams incomparision to Mayo how do you expect to be taken seriously?

    The most likely reason by a long way why Dublin don’t fundraise is that they couldn’t be bothered because they get so much money (over 2.5million a year) from the GAA development grants and from commercial sponsors.

    That is the straight truth if it, not the absolute nonsense you’ve offered up.

    It is extremely difficult to give you blog posts any credibility at all when it comes out with rubbish like this: "it is hard to see how Dublin are getting value for money for the vast amount of expenditure on administrators that show so little return in terms of fund raising. "

    Do you seriously believe that it is the job of administrators to fund-raise? Seriously???

    The problem with all of the Dublin-haters is that they have absolutely no idea of the scale of the Dublin club scene.

    Yes administrators fundraise. Check out corks accounts. Their county raffle raises about 1.7 million in a year and it has administration fees of a bit over 100k. That's efficiency.

    Dublin pay their administrators a multiple of corks and have them providing fcuk all in revenue. Dublins revenue comes from grants in the main & commercial.

    And cork and Dublins gaa fraternity would be roughtly equal in fact a lot of dubs on here claim cork have a bigger playing population.

    So personally no I'm just not having your argument.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Yes administrators fundraise. Check out corks accounts. Their county raffle raises about 1.7 million in a year and it has administration fees of a bit over 100k. That's efficiency.

    Dublin pay their administrators a multiple of corks and have them providing fcuk all in revenue. Dublins revenue comes from grants in the main & commercial.

    And cork and Dublins gaa fraternity would be roughtly equal in fact a lot of dubs on here claim cork have a bigger playing population.

    So personally no I'm just not having your argument.


    Just brilliant, must go down to the club tomorrow and tell the administrators that they only have to fund-raise, nothing else. Brilliant.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    blanch152 wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Yes administrators fundraise. Check out corks accounts. Their county raffle raises about 1.7 million in a year and it has administration fees of a bit over 100k. That's efficiency.

    Dublin pay their administrators a multiple of corks and have them providing fcuk all in revenue. Dublins revenue comes from grants in the main & commercial.

    And cork and Dublins gaa fraternity would be roughtly equal in fact a lot of dubs on here claim cork have a bigger playing population.

    So personally no I'm just not having your argument.


    Just brilliant, must go down to the club tomorrow and tell the administrators that they only have to fund-raise, nothing else. Brilliant.

    Guff


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Dots, club I played for and looked after underage teams got 5k for sideline marker. There is weekly lottery and a few bob from local pubs and whatever to keep the ship afloat. Notion that Dublin clubs are awash with money is a myth.

    Yes, there are the likes of Ballyboden, but much as I dislike them!, are running huge operations. It is money well spent. As is funding for boxing and soccer. Money that is better spent on having kids playing sport than their frittering away of millions on social disasters for Dublin and other parts of the country. But, that is my view.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭ Poor_old_gill
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    If it wasn’t for fundraising and volunteerism there would be no GAA.

    There’s a reason it’s called Croke Park, cusack stand, Hogan stand. These men built the association. Not Vodafone or AIG.

    A last resort? You know nothing about the history of the GAA. Read a book.

    I’m confident that I know quite a bit about the GAA and it’s history.

    Anyways back to your ‘blog’- I still don’t think you are making a coherent point- so you think Dublin should give up their sponsorship money and only finance their county board through fundraising?

    Is thst the point you are trying to make? You want to ban all GAA sponsorship? You haven’t made it clear where this is going- or do you know?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    If it wasn’t for fundraising and volunteerism there would be no GAA.

    There’s a reason it’s called Croke Park, cusack stand, Hogan stand. These men built the association. Not Vodafone or AIG.

    A last resort? You know nothing about the history of the GAA. Read a book.

    I’m confident that I know quite a bit about the GAA and it’s history.

    Anyways back to your ‘blog’- I still don’t think you are making a coherent point- so you think Dublin should give up their sponsorship money and only finance their county board through fundraising?

    Is thst the point you are trying to make? You want to ban all GAA sponsorship? You haven’t made it clear where this is going- or do you know?

    The grants... 5.3 million. Referenced at length in the blog.

    Ring any bells?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭ ArielAtom
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Panhandling to the GAA to the tune of 2.5 million a year

    Why so bitter??? Chill, it will make it easier on you. You see a little obsessed with Dublin, it’s all cyclical m, the dominance will stop, the sponsorship may not though. Anyway I fundraise for my club in Dublin as do most other association members not unlike yourself if you do.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭ Dots1982


    ArielAtom wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Panhandling to the GAA to the tune of 2.5 million a year

    Why so bitter??? Chill, it will make it easier on you. You see a little obsessed with Dublin, it’s all cyclical m, the dominance will stop, the sponsorship may not though. Anyway I fundraise for my club in Dublin as do most other association members not unlike yourself if you do.

    Analysis of annual county accounts > Anecdotes


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭ Poor_old_gill
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The grants... 5.3 million. Referenced at length in the blog.

    Ring any bells?

    Apologies- I was assuming that you were trying to provide some new insights or information.

    But it’s just a rehash of several different journalists articles and a few threads on here.

    Yet you are trying to pass it off as independent and original work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭ ArielAtom
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Analysis of annual county accounts > Anecdotes

    OK, I get it you have issues with Diblun, you are a true Gael blah blah blah, your history says differently as you posted here stating that you were banned from another site for trolling Dublin fans. If that’s what get gets you off fill your boots😂


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭ glack
    Registered User


    blanch152 wrote: »
    Your blog has done excellent research. However, it has missed the point of Dublin finances completely and as a result is glaringly erroneous.

    Dublin has a large population and a huge number of adults and children playing the game - 23 Adult Leagues, 40 Adult Cups, 20 Minor Leagues and to give just one example 38 competitions at Under-13 level.

    This answers your points in a number of ways -

    1. Dublin spend a vast amount of money administering all of these competitions for ordinary adults and children

    2. Dublin supporters spend a hell of an amount of time working voluntarily with their local clubs as coaches and administrators, not a lot of time left for fund-raising.

    3. The number of clubs in those competitions shows how healthy the club scene is in Dublin. A huge amount of local fundraising for clubs goes on, with Dublin supporters heavily involved in that.

    4. Dublin do not spend a huge amount of money on their inter-county teams in comparison to the likes of Mayo in particular but also Kerry. As I have repeatedly said, those counties waste the money they raise on their inter-county teams while Dublin focus their attention on the clubs and the juveniles. A by-product of that is a constant stream of players ready for inter-county football but it is not the primary purpose which is to bring opportunities to play the game to anyone in the county who wants to play.


    So thanks again for a blog which just helps prove my point, just a pity your blinkers didn't allow you to see the underlying conclusions.

    I agree with the vast majority of what you said here and what has been said on this thread. Lots of stupid Dubs county board bashing going on I’m this thread!! They are clearly doing a good job!!!

    But when I’m point 4 I think you’re way off the mark. Yes mayo and Kerry spend more. But I’d love to see a side by side comparison of the spending when travel expenses are removed. Mayo have 11/12 players each year living in Dublin. During the league, that means they have have 2 separate training sessions mid week - one in Mayo and one in Dublin. I would imagine their Dublin training venue is rented. The Dublin based players will need Dublin gym memberships as well as access to facilities in Mayo. They then have travel expenses for traveling home to Mayo every weekend for training/league match. During championship, they travel down midweek also. More expense. These are additional expenses that Dublin simply don’t have! Also, Mayo is a massive county by comparison to Dublin. Mayo is the third largest and Dublin is the third smallest. The distances some players based in Mayo have to travel are much vaster than those in Dublin. And expenses are paid based on distance traveled rather than time taken in the car. From Belmullet to castlebar for example is a 144km round trip! That’s like driving from Dublin City Centre to Mullingar and back again!!!!


Advertisement