Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Dublin GAA fundraise 6.3% of what Mayo do

  • 04-01-2018 9:02pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    And spend 3 times as much on administration as Cork GAA do.

    Wrote about Dublin’s GAA finances here https://veryintobloggingveryintonewmedia.wordpress.com/2018/01/01/dublin-gaa-finances-under-the-microscope/

    Not sure if people just shrug their shoulders at these facts or just don’t care. But I feel it’s important to give the lie to the version we hear over the airwaves that “Dublin GAA do everything well”. Truth is they look to be doing things extremely badly looking at their accounts.


«13

Comments

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner
    Moderator


    Dots1982 wrote:
    But I feel it’s important to give the lie to the version we hear over the airwaves that “Dublin GAA do everything wellâ€.

    Do tell us more about your feelings.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ ProudDUB
    Registered User


    Of course our admin costs are highter than anyone elses. We've 87 silverware polishers on the pay roll. All those trophies won't clean themselves, ya know !


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Dublin accounts are independently audited and freely available. Not some sort of fkn secret as OP implies.

    What is next now? Jim Gavin is Martian left behind at Roswell?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin accounts are independently audited and freely available. Not some sort of fkn secret as OP implies.

    What is next now? Jim Gavin is Martian left behind at Roswell?

    Ok can you post 2017’s Dublin accounts then please?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    No. Why would I? You are not a member of Dublin GAA. They were given to county convention delegates and club secretaries. You are just looking for another reason to attack us. Dublin admin costs as % are no different to any other county by the way. Mayo are exceptional in spending such a massive % on county senior football team. Dublin GAA is vast organisation and we field competitive teams in everything from underage Féile through all grades of football and hurling. Yours is just another sleeveen attempt to insinuate some sort of corruption.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner
    Moderator


    Dots1982 wrote:
    But I feel it’s important to give the lie to the version we hear over the airwaves that “Dublin GAA do everything wellâ€. Truth is they look to be doing things extremely badly looking at their accounts.


    Ok can you please produce links to this version you've quoted as being heard over the airways.

    Who has told this lie that you quoted.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    No. Why would I? You are not a member of Dublin GAA.

    Because literally 30 mins ago you said they were freely available? So you can’t back that up? So you were bullsh**ing?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Because literally 30 mins ago you said they were freely available? So you can’t back that up? So you were bullsh**ing?

    You posted a link to Syls website which has full report of DCB finances As was given to every club in county! Whoever who are taking this from is making out that it is some sort of secret!

    Accounts are all independently audited. Anyway, Costello fully addressed all of the snide insinuations in his report as county secretary. If Kimmage and others want to pursue some sort of agenda, they shall have to up their game :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Because literally 30 mins ago you said they were freely available? So you can’t back that up? So you were bullsh**ing?

    You posted a link to Syls website which has full report of DCB finances As was given to every club in county! Whoever who are taking this from is making out that it is some sort of secret!

    Accounts are all independently audited. Anyway, Costello fully addressed all of the snide insinuations in his report as county secretary. If Kimmage and others want to pursue some sort of agenda, they shall have to up their game :)

    So you can’t produce a link to the 2017accounts despite these account being freely available?


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner
    Moderator


    Dots1982 wrote:
    Because literally 30 mins ago you said they were freely available? So you can’t back that up? So you were bullsh**ing?


    Can you back up your original post?

    Are you auctually quoting somebody who said "Dublin GAA do everything well"

    Or are you encapsulating a personal opinion you hold in inverted commas?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    So you can’t produce a link to the 2017accounts despite these account being freely available?

    Mother of god. Your OP has link to Sylvesters site that has the accounts that were given to every club in Dublin. What is your point? Read the jaysus thing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭ corny
    Registered User


    Oh yay another Dublin finances thread.

    Best of luck to both sides in the latest round of pointless 'debate'.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    So you can’t produce a link to the 2017accounts despite these account being freely available?

    Mother of god. Your OP has link to Sylvesters site that has the accounts that were given to every club in Dublin. What is your point? Read the jaysus thing.

    They are the 2016 accounts.

    You said the accounts are freely available so please prove your point by showing a link to the 2017 accounts


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner
    Moderator


    Dots1982 wrote:
    You said the accounts are freely available so please prove your point by showing a link to the 2017 accounts

    You opened the thread with an
    unsubstantiated comment.

    You no basis to ask for proof of anything.

    Now you want information from boards to feed your personal blog.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Why would the 2017 ones be any different? As corny says, it is a bit of a pointless debate, other than fact that there is clear agenda to impute wrong doing on part of DCB.

    Costello faced all that up and there has been no response from the instigators.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance
    Registered User


    There are going to be SFA 2017* audited accounts available at this stage ffs. We're barely a wet week into 2018. The auditors would have to be on performance enhancing spreadsheets to get them done.

    Audited accounts are generally published and available about 9 months after the ending of the financial year.

    *assuming a YE of 31/12/17

    Spot the former accountant.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    So I think we can judge from the responses that in fact the 2017 are not in fact available to the general public. That if it wasn’t for St Sylvester’s taking the random decision to post them online that the 2016 accounts wouldn’t be available either.

    The Dublin GAA posted an 85 pages report on their website (http://uploads.dublingaa.ie/files/71035/report_2017_final.pdf) but decided not to include the financial report.

    Just seems strange ..


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    PARlance wrote: »
    There are going to be SFA 2017* audited accounts available at this stage ffs. We're barely a wet week into 2018. The auditors would have to be on performance enhancing spreadsheets to get them done.

    Audited accounts are generally published and available about 9 months after the ending of the financial year.

    *assuming a YE of 31/12/17

    Spot the former accountant.

    The accounts have already been seen by a member of the press; https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/16m-from-sponsors-offsets-rising-costs-of-dublin-teams-36420098.html
    So that excuse doesn’t stand up


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The accounts have already been seen by a member of the press; https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/16m-from-sponsors-offsets-rising-costs-of-dublin-teams-36420098.html
    So that excuse doesn’t stand up

    They are Financial Statements and will not have been audited.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭ TallGlass


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The accounts have already been seen by a member of the press; https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/16m-from-sponsors-offsets-rising-costs-of-dublin-teams-36420098.html
    So that excuse doesn’t stand up

    I assume that you know how to either use Google or send an email. Both will get you an answer.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭ Syferus
    Registered User


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    No. Why would I? You are not a member of Dublin GAA. They were given to county convention delegates and club secretaries. You are just looking for another reason to attack us. Dublin admin costs as % are no different to any other county by the way. Mayo are exceptional in spending such a massive % on county senior football team. Dublin GAA is vast organisation and we field competitive teams in everything from underage Fe through all grades of football and hurling. Yours is just another sleeveen attempt to insinuate some sort of corruption.

    The paranoid man sees demons in every shadow.

    The GAA is supposedly a single fraternity but this attitude hints at something very different.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    PARlance wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The accounts have already been seen by a member of the press; https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/16m-from-sponsors-offsets-rising-costs-of-dublin-teams-36420098.html
    So that excuse doesn’t stand up

    They are Financial Statements and will not have been audited.

    The accounts are done up to year end October. You’ll have to explain to a non accountant how they could not have been audited by now?


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The accounts are done up to year end October. You’ll have to explain to a non accountant how they could not have been audited by now?

    For a year end of October it's possible (that they have been audited) but not probable imo. The simple/short answer is that it takes time to audit accounts. The long answer is quite boring but in short you have to check with banks, creditors and debtors that what the Company is saying in its Financial Statements is correct.

    The link you gave said a journalist had received Financial Statements for 2017, another name for Unaudited Accounts. There may not be any material difference between the FS's and Audited Accounts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭ noodler
    Registered User


    Worth noting OP, audited accounts are rarely ready to go until months into the next year.

    See the Comptroller and auditor general and government departments for. Example.

    Also, as last poster said, there's generally very little difference between them and the unaudited previous versions for obvious reasons.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    PARlance wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The accounts are done up to year end October. You’ll have to explain to a non accountant how they could not have been audited by now?

    For a year end of October it's possible (that they have been audited) but not probable imo. The simple/short answer is that it takes time to audit accounts. The long answer is quite boring but in short you have to check with banks, creditors and debtors that what the Company is saying in its Financial Statements is correct.

    The link you gave said a journalist had received Financial Statements for 2017, another name for Unaudited Accounts. There may not be any material difference between the FS's and Audited Accounts.

    Ok sound, so they could be audited.

    Just to mention here’s the link for the 2016 accounts on dublin’s Website- https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/dublin-gaa-annual-report-2016

    When you click on the link- “access denied”, chances are it wouldn’t have contained the financials statements/accounts anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Ok sound, so they could be audited.

    Just to mention here’s the link for the 2016 accounts on dublin’s Website- https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/dublin-gaa-annual-report-2016

    When you click on the link- “access denied”, chances are it wouldn’t have contained the financials statements/accounts anyway.

    They could be. And I could still play for Mayo.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    PARlance wrote: »
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Ok sound, so they could be audited.

    Just to mention here’s the link for the 2016 accounts on dublin’s Website- https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/dublin-gaa-annual-report-2016

    When you click on the link- “access denied”, chances are it wouldn’t have contained the financials statements/accounts anyway.



    They could be. And I could still play for Mayo.


    Isn’t very important anyway. Audited or unaudited these accounts will never be published online by Dublin GAA same as they never were for previous years


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance
    Registered User


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    Isn’t very important anyway. Audited or unaudited these accounts will never be published online by Dublin GAA same as they never were for previous years

    That is true, the fundraising figure is an alarmingly small figure. I think my own Club would have raised more in 2016 than Dublin did.

    Would also love to see the breakdown of admin costs. Just out of curiosity. I actually don't care too much outside of what goes on on the field of play.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner
    Moderator


    PARlance wrote:
    They could be. And I could still play for Mayo.

    It would be fantastic if you did. Maybe line out at number 5. They need fresh blood there.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog
    Registered User


    Syferus wrote: »
    The paranoid man sees demons in every shadow.

    The GAA is supposedly a single fraternity but this attitude hints at something very different.


    I didn't start a thread about the Carlow accounts! The paranoia does not emanate from Dublin.


Advertisement