Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

181 reg cars...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Someone on this forum recently said they were offered a brand new Mondeo Vignale for 33k on a straight deal. They were never going to sell at the price Ford thought they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Sweet **** all difference to it apart from the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

What is Volvos connection to the the mayoral car? Every year since 1990, excluding 04-11, the car has been a Volvo. There is surely some kind of arrangement in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Pretty sure John Gormley had a MKIII Golf that ran on bio fuel or something circa 1993/4

• Advertisement

He did indeed - but 95d1 was also conveniently a Volvo 960

25654124948_00a16dcf5d_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Lovely 181 D Mercedes S400d on M7 today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭ofcork

bear1 wrote: »
    Sweet **** all difference to it apart from the 8.

Only out a year or so still hate the rear of them.

A little off topic but if the president of the f’ing country can go around in a 2006 S-Class, I really fail to see why the Lord Mayor needs a new car every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MarkN wrote: »
    A little off topic but if the president of the f’ing country can go around in a 2006 S-Class, I really fail to see why the Lord Mayor needs a new car every year.

Michael D is awaiting delivery on 2 740d's

Also, the use of a car for the Lord Mayor is put out to tender, you can be sure the winning bid is close to €0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You'd think he would have gone back to a v8 or something.
    Just to send out a message to us all that he is back on cleaner fuel :)

The S Class has 300k on the clock last year apparently..be interesting to see what happens to it. Can't see it being preserved like ZJ5000

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a story that Michael D got a Merc a few years ago but returned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

What is Volvos connection to the the mayoral car? Every year since 1990, excluding 04-11, the car has been a Volvo. There is surely some kind of arrangement in place?

It was a lease deal arranged with a North Dublin Volvo dealer (BK Motors). Bill Cullen then came in and offered a Renault free of charge, saving the tax payer the significant cost of leasing a Volvo annually. Mercedes supplied the car for a short while after that and then for some reason, Volvo rekindled the arrangement. They obviously realised it was good publicity all along and at small cost (even if it means providing the car gratis).

colm_mcm wrote: »

Garda HQ confirmed this to be untrue.

I think the story went he got an E-Class, but wanted an S.

A head of state deserves a flagship car.

It was a lease deal arranged with a North Dublin Volvo dealer (BK Motors). Bill Cullen then came in and offered a Renault free of charge, saving the tax payer the significant cost of leasing a Volvo annually. Mercedes supplied the car for a short while after that and then for some reason, Volvo rekindled the arrangement. They obviously realised it was good publicity all along and at small cost (even if it means providing the car gratis).

Right, thanks for sharing that.

Does the incumbent have any say in what they get then?

A priest got 87-d-1 on a Peugeot 205 when the new system came out. I think the mayoral reservation of the 1 reg was introduced in 1990?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

A priest got 87-d-1 on a Peugeot 205 when the new system came out. I think the mayoral reservation of the 1 reg was introduced in 1990?

In 1988 the Mayor's Car was a BMW 730i with reg number 88-D-1000 (1000 years of Dublin). The following year it was a Volvo 760 with the reg number 89-D-1001.

I think 2011 was 11d2011 or something similar for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

AMKC wrote: »
    Probably the only one in the country.

I've actually seen a goldish coloured one in Cork. 162 reg. Looks stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I think that was CJH during one of the controversies he was involved in. Thought it would look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've yet to see a 181 car. Probably need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Also, the use of a car for the Lord Mayor is put out to tender, you can be sure the winning bid is close to €0

I guess the 730d wasn't fast enough for driving around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Saw a 181-D Mazda CX-3 in red this morning, very nice looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

So what did 181 LS 1 end up on in the end?

It ended up a 181 is 2

Just saw one of those 181 Lexus SUVs in Malahide - all good apart from the muppet driving it wearing a baseball cap at his age ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

MarkN wrote: »

He is getting not one but two top of the range BMW 740d's

They have them already bought at the end of last year so they are 172 cars not 181 to look better. Is costing the tax payer over 300000 euro's

They have the cars already they are 172 reg cars just to look better so less people will complain maybe saying oh look two brand new cars for the president or something.
    Thing is they are brand new just bought last year not used at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Why does he need two? Is he antisipating a lot of breakdowns or does one come with indicators?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭ofcork

The numbers are on the up saw 181 C 989 in cork a mokka x plus 3 nissans on a dealer forecourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why does he need two? Is he antisipating a lot of breakdowns or does one come with indicators?

Backup/decoy car.. c'mon, haven't you seen any movie where they go off in different directions to lose the bad guys? :p

Advertisement