Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting threads locked if they aren't left wing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I would like to say that someone who has been accused as right wing or worse, I think the government should look after who's here first before bringing more in. If theres a homeless crisis which there is then they should be telling the EU we cannot take anyone until everyone has a home already

What baffles me is how anybody could regard this as a hateful and censorship-worthy viewpoint to hold. Humans' tendency to form and identify with regional groups is an instinct which goes back millennia, it's not going to end overnight just because some people now believe that it is un-PC and it certainly shouldn't be conflated with feckin' Nazism, FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm the most right wing person you'll ever meet but you'd never know that from boards. Being a hate filled dickhead doesn't make you right wing, it just makes you a hate filled dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Does it really though? Boards has a rep for being left wing but I'd love to see how many threads are created by 'left wing' versus 'right wing' people. So many threads are just 'look at this article about travellers/sjws/immigrants doing something bad' and there's rarely the opposite

I leaned so far to the left once that I fell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm so confused.

Why? there have been many different nationalities living in Ireland for decades. Ireland hasn't been a 'white' country for decades. When I say the people living in my country I mean everyone who is legally here, no matter what or who they are

In all honesty it smacks of international virtue signalling to me. The migrant crisis is an issue of international proportions, at least as far as the EU is concerned. So on the international stage, there are far more "good boy!!!"s and "brownie points" to be gained from being seen to be helping out with an international crisis than a domestic one.

In other words, the Irish government generally cares a great deal about looking good PR-wise.

You know what your the first open minded 'leftist' that I've seen on here:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Read my previous posts over the last couple of pages. What's the confusion? "Brethren first" style nationalism is in no way an unusual or rare concept, it has defined humanity for literally thousands of years.

A) I wasn't quoting you

B) The poster I was quoting completely contradicted themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Ireland hasn't been a 'white' country for decades.

Ah now come on.

I'm the most right wing person you'll ever meet but you'd never know that from boards. Being a hate filled dickhead doesn't make you right wing, it just makes you a hate filled dickhead.

Whos talking about hate on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Yep, I've literally encountered certain posters who seem to occupy a lot of these threads leaping to defence of outright Nazism.... It's never okay in whatever way they think it is. Becoming a more common view of posters unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Irexit thread was closed too...I was only getting started over on that one

• Advertisement

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Yep, I've literally encountered certain posters who seem to occupy a lot of these threads leaping to defence of outright Nazism.... It's never okay in whatever way they think it is. Becoming a more common view of posters unfortunately.

Ahhhh no. You call everyone & every post you dont agree with racist or nazi

You know what your the first open minded 'leftist' that I've seen on here:D

I'm pretty pissed off that the left's massively growing intolerance combined with "we don't need to appeal to the opposition in order to win elections, we can just be insufferably smug and condescending towards them" has resulted in a massive right wing populist wave. A populist wave was inevitable in the geopolitical climate which had built up, but it could have been a left wing wave if so many on the left hadn't said "f*ck you guys, we won't even discuss the issues with you, we'll just call you uneducated, ignorant racists now, and then double down on this when you shockingly decide to... Not vote for us!"

Yeah on my 6th can & " READY TO RUUUUMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEE"

Whos talking about hate on this thread?

You're correct, excuse me, this is just a whining thread about not being allowed to hate.

Mea Culpa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So what was wrong with the thread being discussed in this one - namely, the nationalistic suggestion that natives to a region (in this case Ireland) should take priority over non-nationals when it comes to the provision of public resources, in this case public housing?

Again, I don't actually agree with this form of nationalism, but it's a valid, legitimate political belief held by many millions of people all over the world with regard to their own particular region, so to continuously shut it down and pretend it's some kind of rare, fringe, lunatic belief just makes absolutely no sense. Like it or not, vast swathes of humanity believe in tribalistic values - "my people should come first in my homeland" - therefore, such views should be up for discussion. Sweeping them under the carpet is how you end up with "shock" election results like Brexit and Trump, wherein people who are planning to vote a certain way don't feel able to publicly talk about it or talk about their reasons for doing so.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear about this, I am suggesting that the statement "I believe that no non-citizen should be housed by the Irish state until every single homeless Irish person has been housed first" is, while being a statement I disagree with, not inherently hateful, racist, or something which should be regarded as not up for open discussion.

Well I don't see the OP so I can't judge how it was written or if you are paraphrasing it, but hasn't it already been covered in the most recent 1000 page immigrant thread? Not too mention that it's already a fairly well known irish trope online about faux outrage for the homeless once immigrants are mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Ahhhh no. You call everyone & every post you dont agree with racist or nazi

I'm not referring to any user in this thread actually. There is definitely a fair few who seem to defend Nazism, that's literally all I'm saying. Imagine plenty will agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

A farmer closed that one down, he is getting brown envelopes from the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Yeah on my 6th can & " READY TO RUUUUMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEE"

So much for the tolerant left,gas part was if they actually stood back and had a look at themselves booking tickets under false names in some childish attempt to sabotage the event they don't come across as the righteous people they think themselves to be...I wouldnt bother my hole doing something like that if it was an event they were interested in,fair play to them,fire ahead and have your event

I'm pretty pissed off that the left's massively growing intolerance combined with "we don't need to appeal to the opposition in order to win elections, we can just be insufferably smug and condescending towards them" has resulted in a massive right wing populist wave. A populist wave was inevitable in the geopolitical climate which had built up, but it could have been a left wing wave if so many on the left hadn't said "f*ck you guys, we won't even discuss the issues with you, we'll just call you uneducated, ignorant racists now, and then double down on this when you shockingly decide to... Not vote for us!"

I would have been known as probably left wing before but the left have gone so far left that its clouded everything
    My missus is a migrant, my cousins were some of the first non whites in Tipperary, I have friends of different religions including Islam but because I do not conform to group think I am then right wing:rolleyes:
    I guess 'white guilt' is a disease that has no cure

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

I apologise for opening a debate here. Let's keep the status quo.Bring more foreigners in and keep the homeless list growing. It was wrong of me to to ask an obvious question to all the amnesty and concern chuggers who seem to be on after hours, get your rest as you must be tired labelling people bigots and Nazis for addressing the elepnat in the room.

• Advertisement

So much for the tolerant left,gas part was if they actually stood back and had a look at themselves booking tickets under false names in some childish attempt to sabotage the event they don't come across as the righteous people they think themselves to be...I wouldnt bother my hole doing something like that if it was an event they were interested in,fair play to them,fire ahead and have your event

Yeah if you get offended then dont go to listen. Lifes too hard without having to weed out what you get offended by first before you start your day

Hitler's Granda was Jewish:)

I would have been known as probably left wing before but the left have gone so far left that its clouded everything
    My missus is a migrant, my cousins were some of the first non whites in Tipperary, I have friends of different religions including Islam but because I do not conform to group think I am then right wing:rolleyes:
    I guess 'white guilt' is a disease that has no cure

Funny thing is my mrs is a migrant too, but i must be a Nazi as I asked an uncomfortable question

so was his grandma:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mainly miss. There are the usual people who enter a thread about immigration/migrants etc call everyone a racist untill someone responds then they report the post to the Mods & get the person banned & the thread closed.
    Its usually the same mods as well involved

if people are reporting posts in a thread about immigration it's because someone expresses an extremist view, and is spouting hate speach.
    now personally as much as i have no time what soever for such views, i don't agree with people reporting the posts, as unless boards cannot legally host posts with hate speach, for which then people should report the posts, reporting them in an aim to just get such posters banned ultimately isn't going to achieve anything. the racist/extremist poster isn't going to change their view and such views get less exposure to the public, when the public need to know such people exist.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I apologise for opening a debate here. Let's keep the status quo.Bring more foreigners in and keep the homeless list growing. It was wrong of me to to ask an obvious question to all the amnesty and concern chuggers who seem to be on after hours, get your rest as you must be tired labelling people bigots and Nazis for addressing the elepnat in the room.

Give you a nasty bite those Elepnats.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Jesus was Jewish. Or so the story goes.

Give you a nasty bite those Elepnats.

Haha fat thumbs

if people are reporting posts in a thread about immigration it's because someone expresses an extremist view, and is spouting hate speach.
    now personally as much as i have no time what soever for such views, i don't agree with people reporting the posts, as unless boards cannot legally host posts with hate speach, for which then people should report the posts, reporting them in an aim to just get such posters banned ultimately isn't going to achieve anything. the racist/extremist poster isn't going to change their view and such views get less exposure to the public, when the public need to know such people exist.

If only that was true

• Advertisement

Well I don't see the OP so I can't judge how it was written or if you are paraphrasing it, but hasn't it already been covered in the most recent 1000 page immigrant thread?

Have you a link? I see no such thread on AH. One or two with at best a tangential relationship to it.
    Not too mention that it's already a fairly well known irish trope online about faux outrage for the homeless once immigrants are mentioned

What's that got to do with anything? It's very presumptuous to assume the OP's outrage is "faux", but even if it is, so what? What harm comes from discussing it, exactly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement