Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting threads locked if they aren't left wing

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Merry Christmas to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I apologise for opening a debate here. Let's keep the status quo.Bring more foreigners in and keep the homeless list growing. It was wrong of me to to ask an obvious question to all the amnesty and concern chuggers who seem to be on after hours, get your rest as you must be tired labelling people bigots and Nazis for addressing the elepnat in the room.

Good man, play the victim card early. You can never play it too early.

Have you accused anyone of calling you racist but you hilariously spell it wacist instead? I also find that a good starter.

I see the 'I'm not a nazi' card has already been played. Too early man, too early.

Anyway, speaking of 'early', some of us have to be up early in the morning or Leo will have our kneecaps done in.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    I'm not referring to any user in this thread actually. There is definitely a fair few who seem to defend Nazism, that's literally all I'm saying. Imagine plenty will agree.

Well i for one am not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

Merry Christmas to you all.

And a happy and prosperous two18

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Have you a link? I see no such thread on AH. One or two with at best a tangential relationship to it.

What's that got to do with anything? It's very presumptuous to assume the OP's outrage is "faux", but even if it is, so what? What harm comes from discussing it, exactly?

The Syrians suing thread, it's a thousand posts it must have come up in there somewhere.

Well no offence to the OP and without judging him, but it's come up so many times in different places online that it's become a trope/meme, I'm suspicious when I read it. Especially considering how in threads on the homeless not related to immigrants we're constantly told that there is no homeless crisis, or that it's all their own fault and we shouldnt be helping them.

What harm? It makes for a boring, crappy atmosphere if it's the same toxic threads coming up over and over, full of reregs who only post on that topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

In my opinion, no thread or post that has extremist views should be closed or poster banned on boards. Be it Left Wing or Right Wing. There have been posts on AH that have used specific racial pejoratives.

Don't ban them. Instead, the poster should face the ridicule of making themself look like a fuxking eejit. Whether they be a Far-Left Commie Wingnut or a Far-Right Loon.

That is how, eventually, the BNP and Nick Griffin were taken down when he appeared on the BBC. After years of the Beeb not inviting him on.

The best way to disarm the lunatics is to engage, ridicule and thus neutralise their message. With logic and reason. Not with emotion.

If this had been done with logic and reason against Trump, rather than emotion and childish name-calling, the clown would not be seated in the White House as we write here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

If you actually look around boards you'll find plenty of right wing people and they don't get banned constantly.
    Probably something to do with having intelligent, well informed views or keeping their opinions as opinions rather than bizarre over the top rants.
    Guarantee if I started a thread along the lines of.

"I don't think we should accept migrants or refugees at the moment because we have a homeless problem. It would be fairer to halt incoming refugees until we have cut our homeless numbers or housing lists by a significant percentage"

It wouldn't get locked, at least at first, probably would after a few pages of Nazi accusations and hate filled rants about refugees.

But you see that there is a right wing kind of opinion. But its just an opinion. Pretty clearly laid out and doesn't go out of its way to belittle anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Who said anything about foreign hating? The guy asked why there are Irish people dying on the streets due to homelessness & not migrants who should be housed only if all Irish are housed first

No one died of homelessness. Not one.

splinter65 wrote: »
    No one died of homelessness. Not one.

I never mentioned people dying of homelessness but it does and has happened,but I just want to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What harm? It makes for a boring, crappy atmosphere if it's the same toxic threads coming up over and over, full of reregs who only post on that topic.

More so than the same repetitive threads which have been running for years and years - trivial annoyances, most beautiful men/women in the world, Dumb/Great facebook statuses, what are ye eating and basically any of the other long running threads on AH? By that logic, wouldn't it be better to give us one thread dedicated to the issue of immigration and resource-nationalism, with some sort of commitment not to lock it just because right wing (but currently widespread) beliefs start being expressed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

somefeen wrote: »
    If you actually look around boards you'll find plenty of right wing people and they don't get banned constantly.

When you find one let me know. Boards is an echo chamber. You are fecked if you have an opinion that a mod does not agree with.

I know. Been there. In some threads it is nothing more than mod sanctioned bullying of people with a different opinion.

Report it and nothing gets done.

somefeen wrote: »
    Guarantee if I started a thread along the lines of.

"I don't think we should accept migrants or refugees at the moment because we have a homeless problem. It would be fairer to halt incoming refugees until we have cut our homeless numbers or housing lists by a significant percentage"

I can pretty much guarantee you that it would. It would take literally the slightest amount of controversial views being expressed therein for the mods to decide to nuke the whole thread instead of actually bothering to moderate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Maybe, Trump supporter?

Nazi is a crazy word to use *rolls eyes*

Labelling me Trump.supporter because I'm asking a question lol

Nah no, I wasn't labelling you anything there at all. Drunk here, shouldn't have responded. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You were making factually incorrect statements about the Syrian Civil War and claiming it was over. That's not "my views", that's fact.

Was he sanctioned for getting that wrong just?

Nah no, I wasn't labelling you anything there at all. Drunk here, shouldn't have responded. My bad.

Now this is appalling sentiment. Boards needs more drunken banter and drunken rows.

If you'll excuse me I'm going to pour a nice glass of Tullamore Dew before rejoining the fray. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

More so than the same repetitive threads which have been running for years and years - trivial annoyances, most beautiful men/women in the world, Dumb/Great facebook statuses, what are ye eating and basically any of the other long running threads on AH? By that logic, wouldn't it be better to give us one thread dedicated to the issue of immigration and resource-nationalism, with some sort of commitment not to lock it just because right wing (but currently widespread) beliefs start being expressed?

I'm no fan of those threads either, I think they distract from making new threads and OC. And yes I'm pretty sure they already tried to have one thread for it, the old refugee crisis thread, I think it ran to a few thousand posts before it was shipped off to Politics Cafe once it became too much trouble for attracting re-regs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Let's be honest here. Threads are closed way too fast and quiet often the moderators mood comes into the decision. Surely moderation should be done from a black and white perspective and not a thinking one. If rules are broken close the thread and card people breaking rules. If no rules are broken it shouldn't matter if the topic has been discussed or if the tone bores you. Let it get out of hand and then follow protocol. It's obvious a lot of posters are annoyed by this moderation. It's not any moderators in particular by the way. It just seems to be an attitude that has crept in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I for one would have loved to debate about homelessness and how it is a stupid argument that has been taking completely away from the real issue.

Homelessness is now about families in hotels FFS. Real homelessness is he men and (albeit very few) women sleeping in the streets. They aren't called rough sleepers as if it was this big hobby that they enjoy.

Homeless people in a frickin hotel do not concern me. I keep hearing about some of turning down houses because it isn't what they want etc. FFS that takes away from he actual issue. Real homeless people have no roof over their heads. Not sleeping in a comfy hotel ffs

I'm no fan of those threads either, I think they distract from making new threads and OC. And yes I'm pretty sure they already tried to have one thread for it, the old refugee crisis thread, I think it ran to a few thousand posts before it was shipped off to Politics Cafe once it became too much trouble for attracting re-regs

The obvious solution for that would be something like GameFAQs implemented years ago - posting limits and restrictions for brand new accounts. Not severe enough to prevent interaction, but severe enough to prevent easy troll barrages.

Of course, this is what should have been done with Politics Cafe rather than making it an invite only mod-discretion echo chamber. GameFAQs, one of the largest online forums back in its day, reserved this particular treatment for a board which was essentially the precursor to 4chan's /b/ and was instigating raids and invasions not only of other boards, but of whole other websites. On Boards, that happens to a forum not because it's made the news multiple times regarding incidents of harassment and doxxing, but because some of the discussion there was overly heated and involved unpalatable political viewpoints? The horror!

Boards, in general, massively overreacts to trivial issues compared with pretty much every other mainstream internet forum I've been a member of, and I've been browsing forums since the late 1990s, even moderated a few. Nowhere have I ever seen as much micromanagement as we get on Boards, mods literally interrupting threads to warn people that "it's going too far" usually without citing specific rule violations but just the intangible "we don't want our forum to have this sort of culture". That's why it's so irritating. It has never been about enforcing clear, neutral rules around civility and legal issues, it's always been about the staff / mods wanting to cultivate each forum to have a specific "kind" of atmosphere around it. That's not how these websites are supposed to work, I have never, ever seen this implemented successfully and any time I've seen it tried the inevitable result has been a massive decline in the site's usage. Which is pretty much exactly what's happened on Boards in recent years. :(

If you want proof that Boards hasn't always been like this, jump back 10 years in AH terms and see the kind of shenanigans which used to go on which would literally never be allowed these days. Somewhere along the line, Boards decided to try and present a "respectable" image - I'm sorry, but Ireland itself doesn't have a "respectable" culture in the wild, and it never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I can pretty much guarantee you that it would. It would take literally the slightest amount of controversial views being expressed therein for the mods to decide to nuke the whole thread instead of actually bothering to moderate it.

I'd like test this.....but it would probably get locked for being a silly experiment, or they've read this and they'd leave it open to prove a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you have any issue with threads or how they are moderated please contact a moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement