Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting threads locked if they aren't left wing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

All I tried to raise was why do we only see Irish homeless

Because you're not looking hard enough? Plenty are in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

smokingman wrote: »
    ....there is a less discrptive word to describe trump-loving, foreigner hating, supremecist views?.....

They're just far right views. Unless they literally advocate for mass execution in the order of millions, the word "Nazi" is hyperbole and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

....there is a less discrptive word to describe trump-loving, foreigner hating, supremecist views?.....

Who said anything about foreign hating? The guy asked why there are Irish people dying on the streets due to homelessness & not migrants who should be housed only if all Irish are housed first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Who said anything about foreign hating? The guy asked why there are Irish people dying on the streets due to homelessness & not migrants who should be housed only if all Irish are housed first

There's as many reasons as there are homeless on the street. You're not going to get to the root cause in AH my friend.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Because you're not looking hard enough? Plenty are in the media.

There are Eastern Europeans yes....still doesn't take away from the fact that refugees migrants are being placed into accommodation when people already on the streets should be ahead in the queue

• Advertisement

That's nationalism, which at the moment is a fairly right wing ideology. To describe it as "racism" or "foreign hating" is as moronic as describing people who oppose immigration because they believe that their region is already overpopulated relative to its economic potential, but it's standard operating procedure in political debates these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There are Eastern Europeans yes....still doesn't take away from the fact that refugees migrants are being placed into accommodation when people already on the streets should be ahead in the queue

The question was why we only see Irish homeless people. It was pointed out that was false.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

...So you want migrants dying on the streets instead? Gotcha so

This one is a matter of law rather than ideology - as far as I know, under the terms of the single EU market and free movement of people, a country isn't allowed to make a distinction between resident EU citizens and actual natives, they all count as one and the same. One of the driving forces behind Brexit which was routinely misrepresented by the remain side in my view.

eeguy wrote: »
    There's as many reasons as there are homeless on the street. You're not going to get to the root cause in AH my friend.

I know. 2018 is the start of something new. I think people are starting to wake up to the fact they are being treated wrong by the people supposedly voted to look after them

• Advertisement

That's nationalism, which at the moment is a fairly right wing ideology. To describe it as "racism" or "foreign hating" is as moronic as describing people who oppose immigration because they believe that their region is already overpopulated relative to its economic potential, but it's standard operating procedure in political debates these days.

Yeah I have no problem saying I am right wing because my country & the people living in my country should come first

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Boards' staff leans left wing - as evidenced by the fact that the threads you mention routinely get locked, whereas left-sympathetic ones far less so.

Boards in general is ridiculously over-moderated, but the political bias is particularly irritating. It seems that Boards operates on a repeating cycle of "moderation gets progressively worse, eventually there's a user uproar over it and mods agree to cool the jets a bit, this happens, then moderation slowly begins to get progressively worse again after a brief hiatus. Repeat."

Just sticking to AH, right wing threads generally tend to have a very different beginning to the rare left wing ones, often involving one or two guys coming on and saying something like 'exterminate X', (which tbh that kind of extreme stuff I'm glad is not allowed) and then a quick lockdown.

Then there is the proliferation of threads on these subjects that often means as soon as one is closed someone starts another one with a different OP and after a few pages it is just the exact same posts as previously

There is a view that if it must be one or the other, native people to a region should take priority. Of course that doesn't mean anyone wants anybody to die on the streets, but it could mean that they believe that natives to a region should be served first by that region's public resources.

Again, this is a right wing view which many including myself disagree with and even find distasteful, but the way you are characterising it is hyperbole.

The question was why we only see Irish homeless people. It was pointed out that was false.

Seemingly the program the op watched showed only Irish but yes there are Eastern Euroopeans as well. Doesn't take away from the fact they should be housed before taking in anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

And there u go the nazi word

Maybe, Trump supporter?

Nazi is a crazy word to use *rolls eyes*

If you think that way then thats on you. We should not be taking in anyone else while there are people living/dying on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

This is the kind of bullsh1t that gets threads closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

I will explain why I opened this thread.Its because my last one was locked .My question is why if we can't house our own citizens ,have crisis government meetings, we then try to house people who are in no danger by the time we reach Ireland? Is it because A) the gov don't care about the destitute and would rather wave their hands to EU like best boys in class (sorry shouldn't of said boys that's not gender neutral) or B) what the hell is B .it's clearly A

Just sticking to AH, right wing threads generally tend to have a very different beginning to the rare left wing ones, often involving one or two guys coming on and saying something like 'exterminate X', (which tbh that kind of extreme stuff I'm glad is not allowed) and then a quick lockdown.

Then there is the proliferation of threads on these subjects that often means as soon as one is closed someone starts another one with a different OP and after a few pages it is just the exact same posts as previously

So what was wrong with the thread being discussed in this one - namely, the nationalistic suggestion that natives to a region (in this case Ireland) should take priority over non-nationals when it comes to the provision of public resources, in this case public housing?

Again, I don't actually agree with this form of nationalism, but it's a valid, legitimate political belief held by many millions of people all over the world with regard to their own particular region, so to continuously shut it down and pretend it's some kind of rare, fringe, lunatic belief just makes absolutely no sense. Like it or not, vast swathes of humanity believe in tribalistic values - "my people should come first in my homeland" - therefore, such views should be up for discussion. Sweeping them under the carpet is how you end up with "shock" election results like Brexit and Trump, wherein people who are planning to vote a certain way don't feel able to publicly talk about it or talk about their reasons for doing so.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear about this, I am suggesting that the statement "I believe that no non-citizen should be housed by the Irish state until every single homeless Irish person has been housed first" is, while being a statement I disagree with, not inherently hateful, racist, or something which should be regarded as not up for open discussion.

This one is a matter of law rather than ideology - as far as I know, under the terms of the single EU market and free movement of people, a country isn't allowed to make a distinction between resident EU citizens and actual natives, they all count as one and the same. One of the driving forces behind Brexit which was routinely misrepresented by the remain side in my view.

Yeah but thats what I'm saying, those EE's should be housed before we take anyone else in

• Advertisement

Maybe, Trump supporter?

Nazi is a crazy word to use *rolls eyes*

Labelling me Trump.supporter because I'm asking a question lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Help!!!! wrote:

Help!!!! wrote:

Help!!!! wrote:
    Yeah I have no problem saying I am right wing because my country & the people living in my country should come first

I'm so confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Why? Happened tonight for my homelessness thread
    So much for tolerance and acceptance. But I forgot tolerance is only ok once you agree with a certain agenda.

All I tried to raise was why do we only see Irish homeless and why are so many foreigners on hosuing list?

You sound like a typical rightest snowflake looking for a safe space to virtue signal in.

It's people like you that have Ireland and the rest of the world turning more left wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

dav3 wrote: »
    You sound like a typical rightest snowflake looking for a safe space to virtue signal in.

It's people like you that have Ireland and the rest of the world turning more left wing.

Yay my super hero is here.
    Can we go catch some racists dav3?

I will explain why I opened this thread.Its because my last one was locked .My question is why if we can't house our own citizens ,have crisis government meetings, we then try to house people who are in no danger by the time we reach Ireland? Is it because A) the gov don't care about the destitute and would rather wave their hands to EU like beat boys in class (sorry shouldn't of said boys that's not gender neutral) or B) what the hell is B .it's clearly A

In all honesty it smacks of international virtue signalling to me. The migrant crisis is an issue of international proportions, at least as far as the EU is concerned. So on the international stage, there are far more "good boy!!!"s and "brownie points" to be gained from being seen to be helping out with an international crisis than a domestic one.

In other words, the Irish government generally cares a great deal about looking good PR-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Remember when discussions weren't full of "flavour of the month" labels?

Prove it

So what was wrong with the thread being discussed in this one - namely, the nationalistic suggestion that natives to a region (in this case Ireland) should take priority over non-nationals when it comes to the provision of public resources, in this case public housing?

Again, I don't actually agree with this form of nationalism, but it's a valid, legitimate political belief held by many millions of people all over the world with regard to their own particular region, so to continuously shut it down and pretend it's some kind of rare, fringe, lunatic belief just makes absolutely no sense. Like it or not, vast swathes of humanity believe in tribalistic values - "my people should come first in my homeland" - therefore, such views should be up for discussion. Sweeping them under the carpet is how you end up with "shock" election results like Brexit and Trump, wherein people who are planning to vote a certain way don't feel able to publicly talk about it or talk about their reasons for doing so.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear about this, I am suggesting that the statement "I believe that no non-citizen should be housed by the Irish state until every single homeless Irish person has been housed first" is, while being a statement I disagree with, not inherently hateful, racist, or something which should be regarded as not up for open discussion.

I would like to say that someone who has been accused as right wing or worse, I think the government should look after who's here first before bringing more in. If theres a homeless crisis which there is then they should be telling the EU we cannot take anyone until everyone has a home already

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm so confused.

Read my previous posts over the last couple of pages. What's the confusion? "Brethren first" style nationalism is in no way an unusual or rare concept, it has defined humanity for literally thousands of years.

• Advertisement

Why for asking questions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement