Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Scientology Catholicism is trying to insert itself into Irish schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Posters on here are well brainwashed.

“Priests raped your kids and the bishops covered it up and we kept women in gulags for having kids outside of wedlock and people hate the church over it, tut tut, disgraceful hate filled people.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Zebra3 wrote: »

“Priests raped your kids and the bishops covered it up and we kept women in gulags for having kids outside of wedlock and people hate the church over it, tut tut, disgraceful hate filled people.”

In your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

To be fair there are some decent people in the RCC. The pope himself seems like a lovely man.
    Scientology is all scumbags though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Let's be honest. Catholicism is dying out because of what the priests done. It's not like they're rumours. They've single handily destroyed it. I say we all turn pagan. See what happens. Seems like a laugh

Catholicism is dying out because nobody believes the horsesh1t anymore.

How many 'catholics' these days are opposed to all of these things:
    abortion, contraception, divorce, women priests, masturbation, pre-marital sex, children 'outside of wedlock' homosexuality and gay marriage....

How many 'catholics' go to mass at least once a week and confession regularly?

The child abuse made it very difficult for people to admit to supporting the church, the magdeline laundries made it clear that the RCC church was a cynical hard nosed organisation that had few qualms about destroying the lives of young women and their children, but the real reason why catholicism is declining is that people can see that they're doctrines are clearly a load of nonsense

Most 'catholics' are only using the church these days as a discount venue for family events, and the spiritual aspect is in the form of shots of whiskey after a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

dav3 wrote: »
    Is scientology recognised as a religion here? As far as I'm aware it's still viewed as a bunch of oddballs trying to extract as much money as they can from people down on their luck.

The whole 'you let religion x, y and z get away with all these things but not poor little scientology' might work if they were a religion, but they're not. They're just a weird group of people contributing nothing positive to society.

Cults dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas Catholics..... #fatherted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

ELM327 wrote: »
    Cults dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas Catholics..... #fatherted

250px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H15390%2C_Berlin%2C_Kaserne_der_LSSAH%2C_Vergatterung.jpg

Akrasia wrote: »
    Catholicism is dying out because nobody believes the horsesh1t anymore.

abortion, contraception, divorce, women priests, masturbation, pre-marital sex, children 'outside of wedlock' homosexuality and gay marriage....

The child abuse made it very difficult for people to admit to supporting the church, the magdeline laundries made it clear that the RCC church was a cynical hard nosed organisation that had few qualms about destroying the lives of young women and their children, but the real reason why catholicism is declining is that people can see that they're doctrines are clearly a load of nonsense

Most 'catholics' are only using the church these days as a discount venue for family events, and the spiritual aspect is in the form of shots of whiskey after a funeral.

Let's take that list above. As a practising Catholic. I was an atheist for many years but last year found my calling.
    Opposed to most of the above for myself yes but not to tell others what to do. I'd be in favour of the repeal movement but I would never have one myself for instance.

Women priests I would have no issue with, similarly to divorce, contraception, masturbation (of course), pre marital sex (ditto) & children outside of wedlock.
    I am opposed to the rest of the list and will not comment on it as one is not allowed have an opinion these days on that subject.

I attend mass pretty much every week. I do not attend confession as that is an Irish creation and I do not find it documented in scripture anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Let's take that list above. As a practising Catholic.

Women priests I would have no issue with, similarly to divorce, contraception, masturbation (of course), pre marital sex (ditto) & children outside of wedlock.
    I am opposed to the rest of the list and will not comment on it as one is not allowed have an opinion these days on that subject.
    You are not RC. You may well be a Christian but the beliefs you have outlined above preclude you from Roman Catholicism. Like most Irish Catholics these days you are in actual fact protestant in your beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In your opinion.

Well whose opinion do you think I'd be posting? :rolleyes:

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You are not RC. You may well be a Christian but the beliefs you have outlined above preclude you from Roman Catholicism. Like most Irish Catholics these days you are in actual fact protestant in your beliefs.
    I had written a line of that I was "questioning" my affiliation but left it out as I didn't want to detract from the post.
    You are indeed correct. It's the same God anyway so I don't have an issue but the message at the core of any religion in my oipinion is your own interpretations of the scriptures. A god that believes in love thy neighbor cannot also be against any of the things I listed as not opposed to - I would wager they were added to "the list" by the catholic church years ago to maintain its numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yeah I heard that alright. Dec 25th is fake news so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0-VeWMr-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVdCikBDQk

2 videos that show first hand what Scientologists get up to. One is of the top guys father. Leah Remini's story of Miscavages wife going missing and the LAPD refusing to do anything to help her is chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Let's take that list above. As a practising Catholic. I was an atheist for many years but last year found my calling.

Opposed to most of the above for myself yes but not to tell others what to do. I'd be in favour of the repeal movement but I would never have one myself for instance.

I attend mass pretty much every week. I do not attend confession as that is an Irish creation and I do not find it documented in scripture anywhere.

Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation is one of the 7 sacraments of the RCC. Christianity, the teachings of the Bible, is not the same as catholicism.

Oh please, you are one of these modern "martyrs". Blinkers on, rowing against the current of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only difference between a cult and a religion is that in a religion, the people who know it's a scam are dead.

That said, I'm concerned that people are so dismissive of it as "sure just another religion", when they've been proven to be particularly aggressive and frequently engage in illegal and threatening behaviour to disrupt local society and take control over areas.

The RCC used to do this, but don't get away with it any more. Scientology is a bit cleverer in its methodology; it deliberately uses psychological tricks to try and scare people into compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

...the message at the core of any religion in my oipinion is your own interpretations of the scriptures.

The RCC do the interpretation for you. A Roman Catholic is someone who accepts the Church interpretation of Scripture.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation is one of the 7 sacraments of the RCC. Christianity, the teachings of the Bible, is not the same as catholicism.
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    The RCC do the interpretation for you. A Roman Catholic is someone who accepts the Church interpretation of Scripture.

2 good points which explain my departure from RCC teachings to a more appropriate place - one which encourages self interpretation.
    This was one of the tenets behind the reformation - originally the RCC wanted to keep things in Latin (including the printing of the bible) to ensure the layman didnt have an understanding.
    Oh please, you are one of these modern "martyrs". Blinkers on, rowing against the current of common sense.

Modern martyr? Really?
    Is that the best you can come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Furthermore, even in the age of BI data farms and ubiquitous web access and round the clock scheduled flights you wouldn't demand that people travel back to their birth place to register!

So why back then would the Romans demand this in order to count the population and levy taxes? I sincerely doubt that one.

The author of the gospel needs to have Jesus born in Bethlehem so that he can fulfill the prophecy of the messiah born of the line of David. Nazareth wouldn't cut it so they had to fabricate something to move the birthplace. Not as crazy a lie as the Xenu volcano thing. But a lie just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In your opinion.

Which part? Pretty much all of that is on record.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

In your opinion.

Well whose opinion do you think I'd be posting? :rolleyes:

Please Google the differences between giving an opinion and stating facts.

• Advertisement

In your opinion.

Which part? Pretty much all of that is on record.

Er no It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

topper75 wrote: »

So why back then would the Romans demand this in order to count the population and levy taxes? I sincerely doubt that one.

Pretty sure Emperor Augustus issued a decree for tax purposes that a census take place. Whether it was throughout the empire on in localised provinces I do not know.

Think there is evidence of Roman census on numerous occasions in the Egyptian controlled land. Possibly every 14 years.

Doubt they would have had to travel to Bethlehem but rather register in town of residence. Or where they owned land, possible Joseph had land in Bethlehem, but no one knows.

Although Egyptian under Roman rule each citizen had to return to their ancestral land for census, not sure whether the same thing would happen in Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Er no It's not.

Umm... yes it is, and quiet extensively and openly so. Here's the list again.

(1)Priests raped your kids and(2) the bishops covered it up and we kept (3)women in gulags for having kids outside of wedlock and people hate the church over it, tut tut, disgraceful hate filled people.”

(1) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/may/20/irish-catholic-schools-child-abuse-claims

(2) https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/bishops-lied-and-covered-up-1.779705

(3) http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/
    (Wouldn't have used the word gulag myself, though - but this was esentially a workhouse for unmarried mother with an abusive cultrue)

Finding it very surprising that this is all news to you.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Umm... yes it is, and quiet extensively and openly so. Here's the list again.

(1) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/may/20/irish-catholic-schools-child-abuse-claims

(2) https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/bishops-lied-and-covered-up-1.779705

(3) http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/
    (Wouldn't have used the word gulag myself, though - but this was esentially a workhouse for unmarried mother with an abusive cultrue)

Finding it very surprising that this is all news to you.

You say surprising I say worrying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

YFlyer wrote: »
    Funny how Born Again Christians don't acknowledge Scientology as a religion but do the Transcendental Meditation Movement as one....go figure

How are you linking the Transcendental Meditation Movement to Scientology?
    seamus wrote: »
    The only difference between a cult and a religion is that in a religion, the people who know it's a scam are dead.

That said, I'm concerned that people are so dismissive of it as "sure just another religion", when they've been proven to be particularly aggressive and frequently engage in illegal and threatening behaviour to disrupt local society and take control over areas.

Good post but just to add that defining what makes a cult is really interesting. This book is a brilliant resource for determining what is a cult and what is not. Really is a fantastic read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I have some beliefs left. They aren't great though. They are strictly private. But I have no doubt that certain ordinary people associated with the Catholic Church are "sign all up merchants" and not really different to Scientology.

When a box of donation envelopes and other **** comes through my letterbox at night with my fooking name on it, I know the local Catholic nutjob behind it. Obviously data protection doesn't apply to these cretins as the local church doesn't know my address. My wife had to stop me heading up to her house to ram the **** up her arse. Considering the crap my wife and I have been through over the last few years, I don't need this "recruitment" angle. My faith has diminished. It will only diminish more and I'm content with that. Doctors saved my wifes life, not god.

Catholism? Scientology? Any organised religion? All mind controlling, money grabbing BS!

Apologies for the rant. But it was either here or a few doors up the street.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Hoboo

According to baptismal figures sure, but people who have been baptised without choice and don't consider themselves catholic/dont practice/do everything and anything which defies catholic teachings/rules V bono fide catholics? Impossible to know the figures because you can no longer defect, and the change in Canon Law in c.2010 ensures you will always be included in their figures as a catholic, whether you worship Satan or Santa.

Defection and falling figures is bad for business.

The demographics of the spread of Catholicism is also quite disturbing, provide and control the education system as they have done here, and it gives carte blanche to spread the word. Hello Africa, Philippines and South America.

The Roman cult is particular good at marketing to developing countries and has the finances to do so.
    The increase in membership does not make their "beliefs" any more valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Grandeeod wrote: »
    But I have no doubt that certain ordinary people associated with the Catholic Church are "sign all up merchants" and not really different to Scientology.

The two belief systems and organisations are fundamentally different in so many ways. I'm fed up hearing this. Would you be willing to engage with the CoS by filling out an online personality test? They will contact you soon after, inviting you to their new facility to reveal the results. After that meeting, you might re-evaluate your opinion on the matter.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    When a box of donation envelopes and other **** comes through my letterbox at night with my fooking name on it, I know the local Catholic nutjob behind it. Obviously data protection doesn't apply to these cretins as the local church doesn't know my address. My wife had to stop me heading up to her house to ram the **** up her arse ...

Are you saying that this lady puts a box of envelopes through ever letterbox in your area? Even the letterboxes of Jewish, Muslim, CoI etc families? What a terrible waste of parish resources and funds. Or is it the case that you are registered with the RCC parish in your area and she is delivering these envelopes to every registered home in the parish? The later makes more sense.

Advertisement