Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Scientology Catholicism is trying to insert itself into Irish schools

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

And abour a dozen other things you're conveniently ignoring to further your anti Catholic agenda.

Go on then...

Just read back. They're all there. And that's just a small sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Just read back. They're all there. And that's just a small sample.

Nope, you're going to have to enumerate them. And while you're making that list, you should know that I'm ready to come back with my own list of the Catholic church's highlights. Things like rampant paedophilia, the Spanish inquisition, their opposition to condoms Africa despite the AIDS epidemic, their treatment of unmarried mothers while fathers bore no consequences, their subjugation of women in general, the fecking crusades!

(You'll retaliate with "HAH! The crusades? The Spanish Inquisition? The laundries? Ancient history! Get over it!"
    You probably won't have an opinion on AIDS-riddled Africa or ongoing pedophilia issues. We'll get to it though.
    I'll point out that ancient history is the point. Two thousand years of it. Remember? The only difference between the Catholic Church and Scientology is two thousand years.
    In fact, the only difference between any religion and scientology is the time they've been around.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lads, lads, lads, stop fighting. All yours religions are horse****e.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

At this point Monty Python makes way more sense than that load of old pony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Weirdly, I remember reading that they gave you a month's notice so you could get your story straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I agree. The Gibney one is what I'd consider to be the authoritative one, with the Louis Theroux the lesser companion piece. The latter is still worth a watch though, even if only for the filmed footage of the way Scientologists go after you :eek: They're marginally more scary than your mammy when you told her you weren't going to mass any more.

Marty Rathbun is back in or in cahoots with the CoS now according to various sources who have connections inside the church. Thought there was something up with him in that documentary.
    Not true, since 2010 (or 2011, depending on where you look.) They revoked actus formalis defectionis ab Ecclesia catholica. Yup, that's right folks. It is now impossible to leave the church formally.

You are missing the point. You can walk away from the RCC and they won't bother you. If you try to leave the CoS, they'll send a crew out to hunt you down and use your overts and withholds, your confessions essentially, against you to try to get you back in. Any family members or friends that remain in the CoS are order to disconnect with you. Also, the RCC doesn't have a 'fair game' policy which allows their members to do anything they want, legal or illegal, to prevent people from openly criticising their organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The Catholic church is a beached whale in this country whose influence is declining by the day, can we move past the RC/Scientology comparisons? It's not helpful to the debate. The attempt by the Scientology cult to establish itself in Ireland is something that I think not a lot of people are aware of.

The attempt by the Scientology cult to establish itself in Ireland is something that I think not a lot of people are aware of.

People aren't really aware of it and the fact that people are trying to compare it to the RCC shows how little they know about the organisation. Fools from one particular political party have been hoodwinked into posing for promotional photos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Berserker wrote: »
    People aren't really aware of it and the fact that people are trying to compare it to the RCC shows how little they know about the organisation. Fools from one particular political party have been hoodwinked into posing for promotional photos.

I did not hear about the political party thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Apparently, nobody ever does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Weirdly, I remember reading that they gave you a month's notice so you could get your story straight.

Under torture

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Catholicism wasn't started 60 years ago by a failed sci fi writer, lose and fantasist.

yet the age of it is the only meaningful difference.
    both are sick, twisted organisations with the singular goal of enriching themselves at the expense of their followers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

branie2 wrote: »
    Under torture

The inquisition was of its place and time and better than most Middle Ages legal systems. And later legal systems too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

both are sick, twisted organisations with the singular goal of enriching themselves at the expense of their followers

What’s the difference between a new atheist and a 1950’s order thumping paisleyite?

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,100 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We currently have an outcry about Scientology with several recent stories splashed across mainstream media. All this in a country where we have allowed the catholic church unfettered access to schools, government and offered no protection to those abused.

Scientology and the RCC are both idiotic religions, but the RCC has far more to answer for. The language used can be interchanged between both.

How can indoctrinated catholics belittle the scientologists beliefs when the religions are almost identical?
    Scientology is not a religion, idiotic or otherwise. I'm no fan of religion in or outside of school but the distinction is pretty obvious.

When the neat white package arrived at Rosmini Community School, in Drumcondra, three months ago, Chris Gueret was impressed. Inside it the religious-studies teacher found a complete curriculum on how to teach human rights to students, alongside posters, leaflets and a well-produced DVD entitled The Story of Human Rights. In a job where resources can be hard to come by, teachers usually welcome a gift of good-quality study materials. “The resources were amazing. Really fantastic. It was all very well done,” Gueret says, before adding that he immediately threw it all in the bin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/how-scientology-is-trying-to-insert-itself-into-irish-schools-1.3327646

Sounds like regugritated hyperbole, but yes: religion shouldn't take up state funded resources during school hours in a state funded school. If a school wants to teach its faith, fine - they send in a priest, a vicar, a rabbi, an immam or whatever and the children whose parents want them to learn go to a seperate class, while the kids that don't stay with the state-appointed teacher and go about their secular curriculum.

Business philosophies can wait unil leaving cert, as is currently the order of the day I believe.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Oh a Catholic bashing post. It must be Christmas.

Being Catholic doesn't involve paying out the guts of a million quid.

Catholicism wasn't started 60 years ago by a failed sci fi writer, lose and fantasist.

If tomorrow I decide not to be a Catholic there'll be no issue. No one will follow me home, threaten me, tell my family they can't see me anymore or vice versa.

If I criticise my religion - and i have - I may do it freely. There isn't a manual somewhere that notes how the church should discredit me and destroy my life.

Still don't see the difference ?

Interestingly nobody knows the real birthday of Jesus. No date is given in the Bible. The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December. They wanted the religious festival to rival the existing mid-winter festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Infini wrote: »
    To be fair I'm suprised $camatology is still hanging in there at this rate. The internet's along with South Park has done a pretty good job of revealing that this so called "religion" is nothing more than a glorified scam of the highest order with elements of cultism mixed in for good measure.

There are still a lot of dim gullible people in the world. Most Christians in 2017 are retaining their faith for very spurious reasons too (e.g. deluded, fear, culture, habit, cowardice, modern "martyrs" etc) but at least they can be vague about it. With Islam, you are in big trouble if you abandon your religion.

QajHhLKW3VRcs.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... in a country where we have allowed the catholic church unfettered access to schools....

Why should access be fettered? Do you have unfettered access to your house? I should hope you do.

They OWN the schools OP. They are the patrons.

How so? According to you 'we' have allowed it.

Wrong there in that assertion.

The British administration that governed this land allowed it. They effectively made the schools denominational in the latter part of the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sounds like regugritated hyperbole, but yes: religion shouldn't take up state funded resources during school hours in a state funded school. If a school wants to teach its faith, fine - they send in a priest, a vicar, a rabbi, an immam or whatever and the children whose parents want them to learn go to a seperate class, while the kids that don't stay with the state-appointed teacher and go about their secular curriculum.

Teachers aren't appointed by the State though? They're appointed by the Patron of the school, and the State provides for education, which is provided by the teachers who have been appointed by the Patron of the school. There's no need for priests, vicars, rabbis etc to provide religious education when the Patrons of the school have already employed staff to do so, in order to provide faith formation throughout the day in a religious ethos school, and religious education in a multi-denominational school.

Your suggestion would mean that the majority of children in the classroom would have to go to a separate classroom, which would not only be an unnecessary drain on limited resources, but would actually mean that the segregation which already exists would be even more pronounced, as you'd be putting the majority of parents out for the sake of the minority.

There is no obligation on parents already to allow their children to participate in religious education in a religious ethos school, but the State is obliged to fund the education of every child in the school, whether that be an education in a religious ethos school, or a secular ethos school.

As for the premise of the opening post, Scientologist info packs are no different to the almost infinite number of other lobby groups and private corporate enterprises that seek access to schools, every day of the week, whether that be Tesco vouchers for schools initiatives, or GLEN (well, not so much GLEN any more as they've been wound down).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Funny how Born Again Christians don't acknowledge Scientology as a religion but do the Transcendental Meditation Movement as one....go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

That shows a complete ignorance of one or other, or both, religions to be honest with you.

not to mention an ignorance of the history of education in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I saw a documentary about a year ago in which a former Scientologist talked about why he left. He said it all seems reasonable enough and seems to be offering some good life advice until you get to a certain level where you're suddenly told all this weird shit about aliens attaching themselves to humans and you're left thinking "this is what I paid all this money for?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

It's absolutely nothing like Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Let's be honest. Catholicism is dying out because of what the priests done. It's not like they're rumours. They've single handily destroyed it. I say we all turn pagan. See what happens. Seems like a laugh

• Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

as long as we remember jesus he is always alive
    happy Christmas

Apart from all the others listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

monnies wrote: »
    as long as we remember jesus he is always alive
    happy Christmas
    And every time a bell rings, a Fairy gets her wings.

Advertisement