Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Scientology Catholicism is trying to insert itself into Irish schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Berserker wrote: »
    :confused:

so how is Catholicism any different / better than Scientology then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

:confused:

so how is Catholicism any different / better than Scientology then?

Take a look online and you'll see. The similarities are few and far between. Not sure where you are based but if you are in Dublin, head up to the new org in Firhouse and pop in for a visit. You won't get past the gate and they will take the registration of your vehicle and photograph you also, fyi. Pop down to the nearest RCC church thereafter and see how different the experience is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Berserker wrote: »
    Are you saying that this lady puts a box of envelopes through ever letterbox in your area? Even the letterboxes of Jewish, Muslim, CoI etc families? What a terrible waste of parish resources and funds. Or is it the case that you are registered with the RCC parish in your area and she is delivering these envelopes to every registered home in the parish? The later makes more sense.

Im registered with fook all pal. She took it upon herself to do what she did after hearing about my wife's serious illness. She's a nutjob with massive problems of her own and she should stick to those problems and not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

And how many actually live a Catholic life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Oh offence offence, outrage outrage, fake news.....down with that sort of thing.......
    Fecking Catholics...... Screech.... Oh time to change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ELM327 wrote: »

I attend mass pretty much every week. I do not attend confession as that is an Irish creation and I do not find it documented in scripture anywhere.

Confession isn't 'an Irish creation', it's absolutely Catholic one, and it's one of the 7 Sacraments (it's called the sacrament of Reconciliation) and all Catholics are required to attend confession at least once a year
    "after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year" (CCC 1457),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm no fan of the Catholic Church but I think in 2017, Scientology is a bigger danger to anybody who is foolish enough to join. It's a cult designed to part you from your money and to make it difficult to leave. If someone wants to leave any of the mainstream religions these days all you have to do is stop attending their services. For many who left Scientology it involved engineering an escape. Losing contact with family members who stayed in the religion. Being harassed and filmed by members of the cult. It's sickening they were allowed to set up a base here. Was it naivety? Blackmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Akrasia wrote: »
    Confession isn't 'an Irish creation', it's absolutely Catholic one, and it's one of the 7 Sacraments (it's called the sacrament of Reconciliation) and all Catholics are required to attend confession at least once a year

I have no issue confessing my sins but I do so to the Lord directly and have no need for a fellow human to interpret.

Its growing rapidly in South America and Africa. In Europe and America it's in rapid decline. 1st generation migrants from LDCs are the future Catholics of Europe and North America.

• Advertisement

I have no issue confessing my sins but I do so to the Lord directly and have no need for a fellow human to interpret.

That's fine, but then you're not really a practising Catholic.

They require you do follow this tradition, if you don't do it, you're in violation of catholic faith. You can still be a christian, but not a roman catholic. Unless you're happy enough to just go through some of the motions and pretend that the rest doesn't matter

Would you consider someone a practising Catholic if they said they were, but were never Baptised?

There are 5 Precepts of the Catholic Church.

These are in the official catechism and are considered the minimum that you have to do in order to consider yourself a practising catholic
    http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c3a3.htm#II
    I. THE PRECEPTS OF THE CHURCH

2041 The precepts of the Church are set in the context of a moral life bound to and nourished by liturgical life. The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the pastoral authorities is meant to guarantee to the faithful the very necessary minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor:

2042 The first precept ("You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor") requires the faithful to sanctify the day commemorating the Resurrection of the Lord as well as the principal liturgical feasts honoring the mysteries of the Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the saints; in the first place, by participating in the Eucharistic celebration, in which the Christian community is gathered, and by resting from those works and activities which could impede such a sanctification of these days.82

The second precept ("You shall confess your sins at least once a year") ensures preparation for the Eucharist by the reception of the sacrament of reconciliation, which continues Baptism's work of conversion and forgiveness.83

The third precept ("You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season") guarantees as a minimum the reception of the Lord's Body and Blood in connection with the Paschal feasts, the origin and center of the Christian liturgy.84

2043 The fourth precept ("You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church") ensures the times of ascesis and penance which prepare us for the liturgical feasts and help us acquire mastery over our instincts and freedom of heart.85

The fifth precept ("You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church") means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.86

The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities.87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

all Catholics are required to attend confession at least once a year

Actually no. Read the bit you've quoted again. "Serious" here means "mortal", if you've none then there's no obligation. They probably should anyways but that's beside the point.

I do like when atheists get their hats in a spin lecturing people on what they are and aren't. Seems like some people think everyone and their otherkin is entitled to self identity, correct usage of self advertised pro-nouns etc etc but someone calling themselves a Catholic/Christian? Outrage! How dare they!

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Opposed to most of the above for myself yes but not to tell others what to do. I'd be in favour of the repeal movement but I would never have one myself for instance.

Women priests I would have no issue with, similarly to divorce, contraception, masturbation (of course), pre marital sex (ditto) & children outside of wedlock.
    I am opposed to the rest of the list and will not comment on it as one is not allowed have an opinion these days on that subject.

Wait, you're opposed to homosexuality but in support of the repeal movement? How does that work, then? And one is allowed to have an opinion on anything, but one should also be willing to have those opinions questioned, or mocked, if the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Doesn't seem like we have any scientologists on boards yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

How anyone can claim Catholicism and Scientology are the same knows shag all about Scientology.

Anyway if no one else is willing to speak for Scientology then I am willing as a non standard religious person to do the honours.

And I have watched enough Tom Cruise and John Travolta movies to feel somewhat qualified.
    Now I am not really a Star Wars or Star Trek fan so I know that probably stands against me.
    I do have some engrams knocking about in the back of my head that surface now and again about some dodgy nights out, but none about the founding of the universe.

I have done some IT auditing so auditing people shouldn't pose much of a difference.
    Now I don't have an emeter, but have a couple of DVMs and an oscilloscope are probably close enough.

I do not believe in a lot of the modern idea of excusing people responsibility for their actions by claiming some mental illness or other so there is another qualifying point.
    And the only reason I am zero on the Tone Scale is I am a bit tone deaf.

And Hubbards personal auditor was a guy called David Mayo so a member of the clan so to speak.
    So I think I have enough qualifications to give the spokesman job a go.

Now if anybody wants to know anything send me a cheque for say, .... €1,000.
    Hey I am offering Christmas cheap rates here.

And to be fair I will throw in a copy of Far and Away, the film most loved by Scientologists.

Further cheques will ensure rapid rise up the Operating Thetan pyramid.

Now if you will excuse me I must disappear before the Sea Org crew catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

jmayo wrote: »
    How anyone can claim Catholicism and Scientology are the same knows shag all about Scientology.

Anyway if no one else is willing to speak for Scientology then I am willing as a non standard religious person to do the honours.

And I have watched enough Tom Cruise and John Travolta movies to feel somewhat qualified.
    Now I am not really a Star Wars or Star Trek fan so I know that probably stands against me.
    I do have some engrams knocking about in the back of my head that surface now and again about some dodgy nights out, but none about the founding of the universe.

I have done some IT auditing so auditing people shouldn't pose much of a difference.
    Now I don't have an emeter, but have a couple of DVMs and an oscilloscope are probably close enough.

I do not believe in a lot of the modern idea of excusing people responsibility for their actions by claiming some mental illness or other so there is another qualifying point.
    And the only reason I am zero on the Tone Scale is I am a bit tone deaf.

And Hubbards personal auditor was a guy called David Mayo so a member of the clan so to speak.
    So I think I have enough qualifications to give the spokesman job a go.

Now if anybody wants to know anything send me a cheque for say, .... €1,000.
    Hey I am offering Christmas cheap rates here.

And to be fair I will throw in a copy of Far and Away, the film most loved by Scientologists.

Further cheques will ensure rapid rise up the Operating Thetan pyramid.

Now if you will excuse me I must disappear before the Sea Org crew catch up.

Bold bit - that might be the worst thing about them and they've done a lot of evil s**t!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I know a lot of people are worried about Scientologists, but really they can't be that bright if they are setting up in Ballivor in Meath.

Now back to the far more important recently resurrected real debate.
    How bad was Far and Away?

jmayo wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are worried about Scientologists, but really they can't be that bright if they are setting up in Ballivor in Meath.

Now back to the far more important recently resurrected real debate.
    How bad was Far and Away?

Made even Unionists think the 'ra had a point!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

You're all crazy .....the Movementarians are the only religion to follow!

You're all crazy .....the Movementarians are the only religion to follow!

All hail The Leader!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

All hail The Leader!!!!

The High Sparrow?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Its growing rapidly in South America and Africa. In Europe and America it's in rapid decline. 1st generation migrants from LDCs are the future Catholics of Europe and North America.

Catholicism isn't really growing in Latin American because so many are joining evangelical churches.

Doesn't He already know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sure what’s the point then??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The High Sparrow?

Pffft he could never take you to Blisstonia

Pffft he could never take you to Blisstonia

Dunno - he did arrange the walk of shame and the was kinda close...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

This is not a good thing. We need a world with less religion, not more.
    Religion causes conflict and hampers progress.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It is funny how people demonise Scientology and call the founder mad, fraud etc etc. How do they think Christianity was founded or Islam? By people who made similar claims.

Advertisement