Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Scientology Catholicism is trying to insert itself into Irish schools

Options
  • 17-12-2017 3:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭

We currently have an outcry about Scientology with several recent stories splashed across mainstream media. All this in a country where we have allowed the catholic church unfettered access to schools, government and offered no protection to those abused.

Scientology and the RCC are both idiotic religions, but the RCC has far more to answer for. The language used can be interchanged between both.

How can indoctrinated catholics belittle the scientologists beliefs when the religions are almost identical?

When the neat white package arrived at Rosmini Community School, in Drumcondra, three months ago, Chris Gueret was impressed. Inside it the religious-studies teacher found a complete curriculum on how to teach human rights to students, alongside posters, leaflets and a well-produced DVD entitled The Story of Human Rights. In a job where resources can be hard to come by, teachers usually welcome a gift of good-quality study materials. “The resources were amazing. Really fantastic. It was all very well done,” Gueret says, before adding that he immediately threw it all in the bin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/how-scientology-is-trying-to-insert-itself-into-irish-schools-1.3327646

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What's your opinion on it OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

A very edgy opinion for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The difference is Catholicism has had a 2,000 start on Scientology. Hard to beat 2,000 of ingrained doctrine.

How can indoctrinated catholics belittle the scientologists beliefs when the religions are almost identical

That shows a complete ignorance of one or other, or both, religions to be honest with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Is scientology recognised as a religion here? As far as I'm aware it's still viewed as a bunch of oddballs trying to extract as much money as they can from people down on their luck.

The whole 'you let religion x, y and z get away with all these things but not poor little scientology' might work if they were a religion, but they're not. They're just a weird group of people contributing nothing positive to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

My boards.ie wish for 2018 is that people would take some time to educate themselves about Scientology before posting about it. I am as critical as most when it comes to the RCC but comparing it to Scientology is ridiculous and I say that as someone who has a family member in the Sea Org (last we heard).
    dav3 wrote: »
    Is scientology recognised as a religion here? As far as I'm aware it's still viewed as a bunch of oddballs trying to extract as much money as they can from people down on their luck.

It's not a recognised religion here but give it time. They are recruiting at the moment, on the back of the opening of their new centre in Firhouse and they have some new members, I believe. They use a variety of social justice campaigns as a front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Great winter wonderland set for the kids in their firhouse location at the minute!!

I welcome our new overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

More hateful atheists attacking Catholics. What's new...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

There wasn't so much brave defiance of the church in the 1950s or 1960s. But the herd are moving in the opposite direction nowadays.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    My boards.ie wish for 2018 is that people would take some time to educate themselves about Scientology before posting about it.

Need to address this post. I am more inquisitive than critical and I am certainly not as critical as most. Forgot that I am posting about this on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

We currently have an outcry about Scientology with several recent stories splashed across mainstream media. All this in a country where we have allowed the catholic church unfettered access to schools, government and offered no protection to those abused.

Scientology and the RCC are both idiotic religions, but the RCC has far more to answer for. The language used can be interchanged between both.

How can indoctrinated catholics belittle the scientologists beliefs when the religions are almost identical?

When the neat white package arrived at Rosmini Community School, in Drumcondra, three months ago, Chris Gueret was impressed. Inside it the religious-studies teacher found a complete curriculum on how to teach human rights to students, alongside posters, leaflets and a well-produced DVD entitled The Story of Human Rights. In a job where resources can be hard to come by, teachers usually welcome a gift of good-quality study materials. “The resources were amazing. Really fantastic. It was all very well done,” Gueret says, before adding that he immediately threw it all in the bin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/how-scientology-is-trying-to-insert-itself-into-irish-schools-1.3327646

Oh a Catholic bashing post. It must be Christmas.

Being Catholic doesn't involve paying out the guts of a million quid.

Catholicism wasn't started 60 years ago by a failed sci fi writer, lose and fantasist.

If tomorrow I decide not to be a Catholic there'll be no issue. No one will follow me home, threaten me, tell my family they can't see me anymore or vice versa.

If I criticise my religion - and i have - I may do it freely. There isn't a manual somewhere that notes how the church should discredit me and destroy my life.

Still don't see the difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some people just need a good ride and they might have less to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

"Scientology Catholicism"....

FFS, a new low for boards.

Did the atheist reverend Michael Nugent put you up to that?

You can always tell a pre-pubescent wannabe "atheist" when they single out Catholicism and then use words like "indoctrinated", etc.

Never Anglicanism or Presbyterianism, Judaism, Buddhism.

(No doubt due to the Protestant sectarian background of Dawkins, British media, etc.)

How on earth are scientology and Catholicism/Christianity the same you clown?
    They are separate beliefs.
    How ignorant can you be?

Go back to bed.... Or minecraft....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Watch Alex Gibney's "Going Clear" and that Louis Theroux film, then come back to us .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Watch Alex Gibney's "Going Clear" and that Louis Theroux film, then come back to us .

Going clear is brilliant. Really funny aswell. Explains, how it all started, not just what it is now.

Far better than the Theroux I must admit.

And either series of Leah Remini's show "Scientology and the Aftermath"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh a Catholic bashing post. It must be Christmas.

Being Catholic doesn't involve paying out the guts of a million quid.

Catholicism wasn't started 60 years ago by a failed sci fi writer, lose and fantasist.

If tomorrow I decide not to be a Catholic there'll be no issue. No one will follow me home, threaten me, tell my family they can't see me anymore or vice versa.

If I criticise my religion - and i have - I may do it freely. There isn't a manual somewhere that notes how the church should discredit me and destroy my life.

Still don't see the difference ?

And Catholicism doesn't record everything you divulge in confession and use it against you should you wish to leave the church. In fact, people are free to leave Catholicism how and when they wish, and no one would be any the wiser.

Going clear is brilliant.

Far better than the Theroux I must admit.

I agree. The Gibney one is what I'd consider to be the authoritative one, with the Louis Theroux the lesser companion piece. The latter is still worth a watch though, even if only for the filmed footage of the way Scientologists go after you :eek: They're marginally more scary than your mammy when you told her you weren't going to mass any more.

I love Theroux's work in general but his Scientology documentary isn't the best to be honest. 'Going Clear' is outstanding but 'Beyond Belief' by Miscavige's niece would by my go-to resource.

• Advertisement

I'm not one for knocking religion, but Scientology isn't a religion. It's a money making scheme that tears individuals and families apart, right now in 2017. It behaves apart from the law, in a way not really comparable (though reminiscent) of the CC decades ago.

The difference is that the CC did contribute to society in good as well as bad ways. Education, hospital care and charities caring for the homeless and other endeavours. Scientology lures idealistic people in, then does nothing but take their money, isolate, segregate, and intimidate. I'm strongly agnostic but the difference is clear to me.

Germany has the right idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be fair I'm suprised $camatology is still hanging in there at this rate. The internet's along with South Park has done a pretty good job of revealing that this so called "religion" is nothing more than a glorified scam of the highest order with elements of cultism mixed in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

anna080 wrote: »
    And Catholicism doesn't record everything you divulge in confession and use it against you should you wish to leave the church. In fact, people are free to leave Catholicism how and when they wish, and no one would be any the wiser.

Not true, since 2010 (or 2011, depending on where you look.) They revoked actus formalis defectionis ab Ecclesia catholica. Yup, that's right folks. It is now impossible to leave the church formally. They don't care if you tear up photos of the pope before breakfast every day and wee on a bible while giving the middle finger to the radio when it plays the Angelus, you're still on their books as a believer. And that's all that matters to them; numbers. They're playing a numbers game and they've changed the rules so they keep winning.

Not true, since 2010 (or 2011, depending on where you look.) They revoked actus formalis defectionis ab Ecclesia catholica. Yup, that's right folks. It is now impossible to leave the church formally. They don't care if you tear up photos of the pope before breakfast every day and wee on a bible while giving the middle finger to the radio when it plays the Angelus, you're still on their books as a believer. And that's all that matters to them; numbers. They're playing a numbers game and they've changed the rules so they keep winning.

And the local library automatically renews every membership annually. It doesn't mean people are reading or borrowing books anymore and doesn't ensure the library remains open. But in common with the RCC, and not the Scientologists, they won't peruse you over it.

anna080 wrote: »

Grasping at straws now.

And the local library automatically renews every membership annually. It doesn't mean people are reading or borrowing books anymore and doesn't ensure the library remains open. But in common with the RCC, and not the Scientologists, they won't peruse you over it.

The local library doesn't have a member on the board of management of the majority of schools in the country to see that its ethos is adhered to. The local library doesn't have a dirty history in this country and others. The local library isn't guarding a vast wealth that, used properly, could make a real difference. The local library doesn't use its influence to create loopholes in equality legislation. I could go on. The analogy is laughable.
    The Catholic church uses its claim to inflated numbers to maintain its position in the country.
    The only difference between Scientology and Catholicism is two thousand years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

The local library doesn't have a member on the board of management of the majority of schools in the country to see that its ethos is adhered to. The local library doesn't have a dirty history in this country and others. The local library isn't guarding a vast wealth that, used properly, could make a real difference. The local library doesn't use its influence to create loopholes in equality legislation. I could go on. The analogy is laughable.
    The Catholic church uses its claim to inflated numbers to maintain its position in the country.
    The only difference between Scientology and Catholicism is two thousand years.

And abour a dozen other things you're conveniently ignoring to further your anti Catholic agenda.

And abour a dozen other things you're conveniently ignoring to further your anti Catholic agenda.

Go on then...

• Advertisement

Have you watched Going Clear?

Advertisement