Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is someone you inexplicably can't stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Same-and Ronan Keating edited the song to be 'politically correct' and committed one of the worst crimes against music this world has ever seen.

It's sort of the same thing that happens with 'Summer Loving' from Grease, the amount of people who say 'Tell me more, Tell me more, did she put up a fight' is about date rape rather than a girl playing hard to get irritates the hell out of me. As does those who want to ban 'Baby it's cold outside' for similar reasons.
    It's just ridiculous.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/12/04/ronan-keating-fairytale-of-new-york-trial-begins-at-the-hague/

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

These so called "influencers" on social media.  Everyone seems to be an expert on fashion, cooking, fitness, lifestyle etc.

John F**************g Connors.

But not inexplicable at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

NIMAN wrote: »
    sorry, disagree with your pov.

The song should be left as is.

It wasn't intended to offend. If a listener takes offence at it, then thats their problem. We can't just go around sanitizing everything that some people don't like.

Radio edits of songs containing profanity are common. It seems odd that people take issue with censoring this one particular song, while ignoring all the others.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    Radio edits of songs containing profanity are common. It seems odd that people take issue with censoring this one particular song, while ignoring all the others.

Because editing an expletive ridden Eminem track would always have been done - whereas FoNY is being edited for political correctness.

It's only the last couple of years it's not been played in full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Knopfler was changing the lyrics of 'Money For Nothing' for live performance since the year it was released.

I blame Sting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I don't really like Peter Kay

Because editing an expletive ridden Eminem track would always have been done - whereas FoNY is being edited for political correctness.

It's only the last couple of years it's not been played in full.

Maybe this is one of those cases where political correctness is a good thing. Some people find the word very hurtful because their experience of it involves having it spat at them by bigots. Maybe it's good that their feelings are belatedly being recognised. Maybe it wouldn't actually harm anyone if the word (a word which turns into asterisks when you type it here) was no longer included in that song.

Maybe this is one of those cases where political correctness is a good thing. Some people find the word very hurtful because their experience of it involves having it spat at them by bigots. Maybe it's good that their feelings are belatedly being recognised. Maybe it wouldn't actually harm anyone if the word (a word which turns into asterisks when you type it here) was no longer included in that song.

I know people who have not only had the word spat at them but were beaten up at the same time.

However, they know the difference between the use of a word in a bigoted context and a harmless song lyric.

Basically the gist is that once again those who think someone will be offended wants to change something when the actual group couldn't give two f***s.

CF this nonsense today:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/13/ucl-apologises-asking-students-dreaming-white-campus-7157665/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

You

I know people who have not only had the word spat at them but were beaten up at the same time.

However, they know the difference between the use of a word in a bigoted context and a harmless song lyric.

Basically the gist is that once again those who think someone will be offended wants to change something when the actual group couldn't give two f***s.

CF this nonsense today:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/13/ucl-apologises-asking-students-dreaming-white-campus-7157665/

I've heard gay people complaining not so much about the lyric itself (which was never intended to be homophobic), but about the fact that a lot of straight people seem to be oddly protective of it, and when singing it, seem to get great enjoyment out of that particular line (it's not even the best line in the song - that honour must surely go to "I could have been someone... Well, so could anyone").

I've heard gay people complaining not so much about the lyric itself (which was never intended to be homophobic), but about the fact that a lot of straight people seem to be oddly protective of it, and when singing it, seem to get great enjoyment out of that particular line (it's not even the best line in the song - that honour must surely go to "I could have been someone... Well, so could anyone").

Up there with the best that one I'll give you. Not a patch on "Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last". The Grinch in me loves that !! :D

Tbh I can see why some people might have license to say a word they're not usually allowed to say but again it's context. Like someone I saw once doing Gold Digger at karaoke - the words on screen we're the "broke, broke..." version.

He sang the original.

Before being asked to leave. He meant it as "I want to say this word and now I can", I'm not sure the vast, vast majority sing the original Fairytale lyric with malice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thread on Fairytale of New York here now if you're interested.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057819833/1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The song should be banned because it's absolute shlte more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Darren Kennedy, I find almost every part of him annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hector. He's a bit too hyper for my liking.

branie2 wrote: »
    Hector. He's a bit too hyper for my liking.

I met him at a Guide Dogs event with Roy Keane.

He said once "all these people here to see little old me".

I hope he was being sarcastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

CF this nonsense today:

Oh boy...that last one, why change it to 'campus'? Seems ridiculous.
    Seems like ucl didn't think that one through at all. There was only gonna be a foul up there.

The craziness surrounding 'you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy ******' reminds me of the Speedy Gonzalez craziness. Politically correct people said he was an insulting stereotype to the Mexican people. Nobody asked the Mexicans what they thought of Speedy however.
    Turns out the Mexicans love Speedy. But for a few years, he wasn't allowed in WB cartoons or movies. (It's even a joke in Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Pepe le Pew was another character who folks saw as 'problematic').
    Up there with the best that one I'll give you. Not a patch on "Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last". The Grinch in me loves that !! :D

Tbh I can see why some people might have license to say a word they're not usually allowed to say but again it's context. Like someone I saw once doing Gold Digger at karaoke - the words on screen we're the "broke, broke..." version.

He sang the original.

Before being asked to leave. He meant it as "I want to say this word and now I can", I'm not sure the vast, vast majority sing the original Fairytale lyric with malice.

I've noticed local stations play it more, with the included 'offending' word. Even youtube doesn't censor it. The national stations are more likely to censor it.

I think the Kanye one is a bit different-a 'broke N***er' is different to f****t, in that for the last hundreds of years, there's been only one usage for the n word, whereas 'f****t' had many uses, in my memory. Like, you'd call anyone that word as an insult, growing up, not just a gay person.
    It wasn't even the worst word you could use-that would go to 'c**t'. Now, if you sing 'Broke n****r' in the shower, or your car while alone, that's one thing-you're the audience, you know what insults you. And if you're insulted by that, you're not gonna sing it.
    Maybe it wouldn't actually harm anyone if the word (a word which turns into asterisks when you type it here) was no longer included in that song.

Yes, it's censored, but if you're using the word 'b*tch' to describe a female dog (not an insult), that's also censored, even when it's not referring to a person. Even 'Jimmy crack corn' has a negative history too-it became popular due to minstrels or blackface, even with lyrics like 'my master's gone away'. But do we start banning songs that are politically incorrect after we ban songs that are insulting? Frankie Goes to Hollywood's 'Relax' was banned on radio in Britain due to its 'content', and don't forget the hullaballoo that surrounded 'Ding Dong the Witch is dead' being played on the radio, its resurgent popularity caused by Maggie Thatcher's death leading to the single almost being the number one single that month (it made it to number 2).

Yes, it's censored, but if you're using the word 'b*tch' to describe a female dog (not an insult), that's also censored, even when it's not referring to a person.

I've got 99 problems, but 'bitch' being censored on Boards.ie ain't one.

• Advertisement

I've got 99 problems, but 'bitch' being censored on Boards.ie ain't one.

And yet its not censored in your post.

It's awkward when you're trying to ask a question about a female dog, and you use the word. Even if you were advertising selling a dog.

There are uses where something is offensive, and uses where it's not. Yankee or yank was an offensive word, now it's more of a running joke ie 'unhand me, yankee'. It's dutch etymology is mostly forgotten.

Anyways, as for people I find annoying-John Barrowman. He's probably a really nice guy, and from what I hear from people who meet him at comic cons and so on, he comes across as a really nice guy.
    But he also does the 'smutty gay guy' act too often-to a creepy uncomfortable level. I hate when straight guys do it too. He even simulated a sex act with a banana on some tv show...I just wonder 'why sink to that level?'. It's not as if his career is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ruth Negga seems like a bit of a dose.

Maybe she's lovely and everything, but every time I see her interviewed I imagine myself stuck in a room with her and being bored to tears by her going on about 'her art' and her amazingly profound cultural experiences, and being bestest buddies with Meryl Streep and all that shíte.

(And that feckin' accent! She grew up in Limerick FFS!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

maudgonner wrote: »

Maybe she's lovely and everything, but every time I see her interviewed I imagine myself stuck in a room with her and being bored to tears by her going on about 'her art' and her amazingly profound cultural experiences, and being bestest buddies with Meryl Streep and all that shíte.

Thandie Newton does the same to me . That haughty arty look she wears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Shane McGowan. Walking Advertisement for alcoholicism. Only this country do we put him on a pedestal. Why oh why does he get so much air time? “Sure he is a great song writer” bollox you feel sorry for him.
    It’s not really his fault. It’s us Irish.

Shane McGowan. Walking Advertisement for alcoholicism. Only this country do we put him on a pedestal. Why oh why does he get so much air time? “Sure he is a great song writer” bollox you feel sorry for him.
    It’s not really his fault. It’s us Irish.

He's a really nice guy, apparently. But very naiive, I feel. He gets exploited by quite a few, not just his new wife.
    He was a great songwriter, for sure-but his addictions killed that. Took his voice and teeth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Conor Ward, Robert Cassidy. A few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

maudgonner wrote: »

Maybe she's lovely and everything, but every time I see her interviewed I imagine myself stuck in a room with her and being bored to tears by her going on about 'her art' and her amazingly profound cultural experiences, and being bestest buddies with Meryl Streep and all that sh.

Her name nearly always pops up in hottest Irish women discussions and for the life of me I can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I met him at a Guide Dogs event with Roy Keane.

He said once "all these people here to see little old me".

I hope he was being sarcastic!!

I presume they were blind? And it was a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

James Corden

It's says inexplicably

Cordon is a loudmouth who hoots laughing at his own "jokes", makes a joke about his weight and if someone chimes in with a weigh joke he throws a complete strop. The incident with Patrick Stewart and the Harvey Weinstein "jokes" lately show the level of prick he is, he was trying to laugh off the Weinstein joke while standing there dying on his arse.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

He's a really nice guy, apparently. But very naiive, I feel. He gets exploited by quite a few, not just his new wife.
    He was a great songwriter, for sure-but his addictions killed that. Took his voice and teeth too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Can't stand that woman, she's milked him to further her own profile at every turn.

Advertisement