Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names-CSO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

spurious wrote: »
    The decline of Mary is quite spectacular.

Ann, Margaret and Teresa too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

210 babies born with my name in 1978. 5 were born in 2010, but aside from that year none from 2008-2016. It's a seasonal name so I guess more people are calling their kids Turkey or Pudding these days.

No Jaydens before 2002, 125 born last year. Starting to see them come through in first year in school now. 142 Kaydens born last year. 22 Aryas in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I was one of fourteen in my year of birth. Three births in 2015, none in 2016. It never really became popular in Ireland, it's an unusual name. I used to hate that when I was little, but I quite like it now. It suits me if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Michelle, I take it?

Bingo :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

230 with my first name the year I was born, 5 last year. Can't say I'm surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My partner was ranked 120 (37 Babies with that name).
    Mine: none
    My son: none (he wasn't born in Ireland, neither was I)
    Daughter: ranked 288 (16 babies with that name). She has one of the names with a spectacular decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Looks like Setanta started getting popular in 2003, with a hefty 8 being named in 2008.
    No Ragnars, though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I hit the dizzying heights of 31st most popular name in 1982 but it's been downhill since then. A shocking 90th in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kids born in 2016 have had a 95% drop in numbers with my name since I was born:(

So are you declining like me or newly popular?

95% drop in my name since the year I was born too.

They don't make mes like they used to.

There were three with my name in 2004 and four in 2010, none any other year.

I'm usually called one of two contractions of my name, one has been popular since the late 90's, peaking in 2004 at 28 and down to 11 by 2016. The other has climbed from 4 in 1994 to 20 last year.

None of any the year I was born, but then I wasn't born in Ireland. :)

I had no idea that my name is that unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Born in 1970, no. 3 with nearly 900 births.

This year no 176 with 31.

Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Just looking at the name 'Noah'. Not one single child by that name in 1995 and then it really took off in popularity. Anyone know why that was?

Home and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Just looking at the name 'Noah'. Not one single child by that name in 1995 and then it really took off in popularity. Anyone know why that was?

More and more rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

159 in the year I was born.

My son was born last year and named after me. Only 7 with the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

2016- 3 Babies - 713th
    1980- 122 babies -77th

High - 1977 -136- 66th
    Low - 2016 - 3 - 713th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 TheWarmNights

133 registered with my name in 1993.
    18 in 2016.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

5 people registered with my name the year I was born (1988), then it peaked to 10 in '89 & '90 and then it's declined again. Some years there are none. :(

I love my name though. It's pretty rare and exotic. I know one other person with it. And her boyfriend has the same name as my fiancé which is quite bizarre. It's a funny ol' world!

My partner's name was ranked 11th of all boys names in the year he was born. 687 births registered with his name that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Contessa it is <3 rather than 0

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Contessa it is <3 rather than 0

So it is! :o

Also, I read the <3 as a heart before realising you meant less than 3. Hahaha! Was very confused! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

5 girls on the list in 2016 with the name Precious. Another 5 called River. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was number 1, common as muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My sons name peaked in 1979 with 180 babies with that name. Only 5 in 2014 the year he was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Only 4 babies with my name this year.
    Almost 500 the year I was born.
    In the unlikely event of me ever having a baby girl I have two names picked that I've never told anyone. Neither of them were registered this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I ranked 38 in the year I was born and 238 something something......didnt concentrate much :/
    Considering that the ma thought I was and was hoping for a boy she could call John I think I did very well.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The little certificate thing is nice.

My name has declined by about 75% since I was born but it's still popular.

My kids names are still relatively uncommon but not rare enough to suggest I'm pretentious, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Ipso wrote: »
    Looks like Setanta started getting popular in 2003, with a hefty 8 being named in 2008.
    I wonder if any of the 8 know how to pronounce it correctly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Conor, Sean and Oisin still in the top 10 boys names though!

Yes! Top 10 bitches! I made it!

Although I don't count Seán. That's another one of those mispronounced biblical names if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

This is odd. My name was registered to 93 people in the year I was born. I went to university in dcu and there were 17 girls in my class. 3 of us had the same name...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mine has stayed fairly regular. There was a dip around 2000 or so when I assume the Tiger caused pretentious Irish names to surge and knock the old faithfuls off. It has recovered since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Ipso wrote: »
    No Ragnars, though.

2003 was the year Setanta Ó hAilpín was scoring loads of goals for the Cork hurlers!

Advertisement