Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names-CSO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The Williams are on the slide but the Billys and Liams are on the rise... feck I don't know what to make of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes! Top 10 bitches! I made it!

Although I don't count Seán. That's another one of those mispronounced biblical names if I'm not mistaken.
    I kind of love the spelling Shaun/Shawn, if for no other reason than it's the English version of an Irish name, that's the Irish version of an English name (John). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My actual birth name was ranked 168 in the year I was born- only 28 babies were registered with the name that year. The derivative of my name which I actually go by was ranked 69th..
    Cool times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its mildly interesting, my name is steady all way the way along but took a dip in 1998 but is rising in popularity again. It is the sort of name that is not either fashionable or unfashionable it just bobs along.
    Mine is fairly steady too. The lowest it was ever at was in the 70s, on the years at each side of the year I was born. :pac: Now it's one of the most popular.

I was looking elsewhere of the site, on the 'How popular is your birthday' page. The most common birthday to have is October the 1st, 9 months after New Year's Day. February the 29th is obviously the least common, followed by Christmas Day and Stephen's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Billy86 wrote: »
    I kind of love the spelling Shaun/Shawn, if for no other reason than it's the English version of an Irish name, that's the Irish version of an English name (John). :pac:
    It's actually from Norman French Jehan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

My name was no. 1 in 2016. Goddamn you people, just let me be special!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There were 13 Spencers in 2015

Morto

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I can safely say my name will most definitely die out given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yes! Top 10 bitches! I made it!

Although I don't count Seán. That's another one of those mispronounced biblical names if I'm not mistaken.
    Sean is actually the Irish version of the French name Jean. Imported by the French speaking Normans it became trendy. The name Shane is simply Sean as spoken in Ulster dialect Irish. The original Irish version of the name John is Eoghan or Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Mine is fairly steady too. The lowest it was ever at was in the 70s, on the years at each side of the year I was born. :pac: Now it's one of the most popular.

I was looking elsewhere of the site, on the 'How popular is your birthday' page. The most common birthday to have is October the 1st, 9 months after New Year's Day. February the 29th is obviously the least common, followed by Christmas Day and Stephen's Day.

Stephens Day is the least common day recurring annually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Sean is actually the Irish version of the French name Jean. Imported by the French speaking Normans it became trendy. The name Shane is simply Sean as spoken in Ulster dialect Irish. The original Irish version of the name John is Eoghan or Eoin.
    Eoin and Eoghan are actually two different names.
    Eoin is from the Latin Io(h)annes (John) .
    Eoghan is an ancient Irish name, cognate with the Greek Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Had a proper look at the graph there and my name was the at either number 1 or number 2 for a good few years. Funny considering I have to explain the pronunciation at least once a day at work to people I'd be on the phone to in the UK. So common here but unheard of anywhere else... my future kids will not be getting an Irish name!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd guess some of the stranger ones would belong to kids from immigrant backgrounds, from what I've heard from a teacher working in Dublin the african childer can have very unusual names.

I found an oddity, in 1975 there were 3 boys named 'Mc'

Ryan Reynolds called his daughter James. I think that's a strange name for a girl.

Ryan Reynolds called his daughter James. I think that's a strange name for a girl.

Maybe it's supposed to be pronounced differently? Although Ryan Reynolds doesn't really have the language excuse..

I was talking to a Dutch friend of mine recently and she told me that some friends of hers had called their baby after an Irish name, but she had just seen through the whatsapp group so didnt know how to pronounce it and asked me. N-I-A-M-H, ah Nee-ev says I which confused the Dutch girl a bit, so I explained that Irish doesn't use English pronunciation, which was a surprise to her.. and also her friends it seems who are calling the baby Nee-am..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

"There are no records for *****

* Due to confidentiality reasons, only names with 3 or more instances in the relevant year are included."

Well i dont know how to feel about that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That's to protect your identity, Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadu.

Maybe it's supposed to be pronounced differently? Although Ryan Reynolds doesn't really have the language excuse..

I was talking to a Dutch friend of mine recently and she told me that some friends of hers had called their baby after an Irish name, but she had just seen through the whatsapp group so didnt know how to pronounce it and asked me. N-I-A-M-H, ah Nee-ev says I which confused the Dutch girl a bit, so I explained that Irish doesn't use English pronunciation, which was a surprise to her.. and also her friends it seems who are calling the baby Nee-am..

Ja-mees?

Neeave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Ja-mees?

Neeave.

Hey-Zeus?

Hey-Zeus?

Erm is this a trick name like yours? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Ja-mees?

Neeave.

Jammies :p

Yes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The best word ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Apparently it's because his wife Blake also has a gender neutral name and wanted to continue it with her children.

For celebs and their offspring it's grand. For your average working Joe/Joanne, I can see issues. Imagine emailing a work colleague with the name James, you assume you are conversing with a male colleague. Imagine your surprise when you meet at a work event or even a telephone conversation, and the way things are now in work environments, first thing I would think is "has James transitioned? " rather than her daft parents gave her a male name.:o

Gems?

Blake is pretty cool, sounds like a power name. Did no one point out to her though that James isn't gender neutral?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Gems?

Blake is pretty cool, sounds like a power name. Did no one point out to her though that James isn't gender neutral?

I didn't think Blake was either.

I didn't think Blake was either.

Actually yeah, I thought it was more ambiguous but that's only because of her in the first place, I never heard of any other female Blakes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ja-mees?

Or Ham-ez if it's Spanish, like the footballer James Rodrigez..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

There a few spells of Kylie in the mid 80's, mid 90's and later 2000's doubtless coinciding with Ms. Minogue's chart popularity at the time.

The Assumpta/Concepta/Attracta abomination was popular until the mid to late 80's and then became virtually extinct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Stephens Day is the least common day recurring annually

Nobody will schedule an elective C-section or induction for that day or Christmas Day so it's only really people who spontaneously go into labour who will be born on that day, also unlikely that a scheduled induction from the previous few days will have gone on that long.

My son was born on Easter Monday and the postnatal ward was surprisingly quiet!

Advertisement