Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names-CSO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

There doesn't appear to be a single case of another person with my name!
    I can't be the only Adolf in the country, surely.

It's a lovely name. Germanic, I believe. Can't imagine why it would be so unpopular. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

123 the year I was born, down to 3 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One thing I notice is Irish names in general slipping away down the list.

Must represent demographic changes or British cultural influence (a lot of English names near the top) or broadening horizons.

Or maybe just an overall decline in Irish cultural interest.

Or the fact that people pick their own version of an "Irish" name. Have a look at some of the threads on the pregnancy or parenting forums, you'll see people posting various spellings of names they like. Take "Maeve" for example, you'll get people spelling it Méadbh, Médbh, Meadhbh, Medb etc. Personally, I don't like names that are too Irish - ie Maeve is grand, but all the other spellings are OTT and don't travel well. I wouldn't fancy having to spell my name for most of my life.

My name can be spelled 3 different ways, mine is not as popular so I end up having to correct people a lot. Half the time I don't bother unless it's for email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I have an Irish name, it peaked in popularity in 1982 (number of births: 195, rank: 43).

I was born in 1988 and it had fallen to - number of births: 92, rank: 78.

In 2016 there were only 20 girls born with my name, it had dropped to rank: 236.

My name can be spelled in a few different ways though so I'm not sure if the other spellings are more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I can't recall meeting anyone with my name that was much older than me, they do exists but they're relatively rare. Ranked around 100 when in the early 80's, It became fairly popular in the Mid to Late 90's though (started to get ranked in the Top 10 for that period). Still in the top 25 in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Shout Jack in a pub for the next 50 years and watch all the heads go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Surprised to see there were 446 Noahs in 2016!

It's such a common name now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What no Borts?

6 Beyonces scattered around the country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

6 Beyonces scattered around the country :rolleyes:

All the single ladies and their Beyonces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

secman wrote: »
    It's such a common name now :)

The country is flooded with Noahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Sons name in 2016 not there. Means it less than 3. Wahoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Same with my daughters name in 2012, the year she was born:) It's not even an outlandish name, more so a very old fashioned Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I have an Irish name, it peaked in popularity in 1982 (number of births: 195, rank: 43).

I was born in 1988 and it had fallen to - number of births: 92, rank: 78.

In 2016 there were only 20 girls born with my name, it had dropped to rank: 236.

My name can be spelled in a few different ways though so I'm not sure if the other spellings are more popular.

Lady mc Emer :cool:

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Lady mc Emer :cool:

Emm, I cannot confirm nor deny :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Surprised to see there were 446 Noahs in 2016!

Probably because of all the rain.

Be prepared, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I wonder what happened in 1997 that both John and Mary suffered such declines just then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

My name hit an all time high of 14th place in 2004. Has fallen to 55th in the past 12 years. Meh.

mikhail wrote: »
    I wonder what happened in 1997 that both John and Mary suffered such declines just then?

Fr Ted was coming to an end, having ruined both names forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The cso produced this... is this funded by the Irish tax payer?
    Seems a dreadful waste of taxpayers money making name checkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

3 of me in the year I was born.

None since.

I'm special.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

My name comes up zero every year since 1973 :-(

And I'm guessing I was the only one that year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

368 babies were born with my name in the year of my birth and there were only 22 babies born with my name in 2016.

Michelle, I take it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m surprised that my first name was number 4 in popularity the year I was born. Since then it’s become much less popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Four people were given my (very unusual) name the year the I was born. And none since. And none before. On the diagram anyway. Can't give much away, but the name would have featured a bit on the Irish news the year I was born, hence the naming of a few baby girls with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What no Borts?

No licence plates so what's the point in the name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The decline of Mary is quite spectacular.

There have been little change in the last six years. I'm surprised there aren't more Irish names like Siofra and Aodh. I like the names Rose, Faye, Sam (boy) and Finn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Same with my daughters name in 2012, the year she was bornsmile.png It's not even an outlandish name, more so a very old fashioned Irish name.

My daughters name was one of 3 in 2015 when she was born. There was a peak of 4 in 1979 and 3 in 2007. It doesn't feature any other years. While it's unusual, it's not a mad name at all, it happened to be a family name on both sides, although it is french in origin.

• Advertisement

I've always longed to be called something vaguely different or exotic but not too outlandish, like a Cordelia, or a Camilla or Cassandra. I never understand it when people give their children really dull names that are incredibly commonplace. No need to go calling them apple but something slightly unusual is surely a reflection of how you think they are a unique little person to you.

Advertisement