Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

ongarboy wrote: »
    I thought the entire island was covered with snow either by the late Nov/ early Dec 2010 event or else the 2 week event up to Stephens Day! What area was so unlucky not to see a flake??

well, we had a slight dusting covered with a hard frost for days in mid tipp, no measurable snow at all. If you look at the satellite images from the time you can see the area in south midlands with no snow cover ( just frost really ) with snow all around us

I was very disheartened at the time that the country was getting such cold temperatures but the snow refused to come near my part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I can't remember exact date (March 2014 I think) but I recall that much of the country seen a reasonable amount of snow during a polar westerly, just to give one example.

I don't remember any snow in March 2014..... maybe it's March 2015 you're thinking of? I had three days of snow from this polar westerly:

CFSR_1_2015030212_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't remember exact date (March 2014 I think) but I recall that much of the country seen a reasonable amount of snow during a polar westerly, just to give one example.

Oh i see. I know they can be good for heavy convective snow showers, but i don't recall getting much by the way of laying snow from a polar westerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

God help us!! I cant take any more false dawns! Its the hope thats killing me!
    Non event here for me this time! Looking at dublin mts not far away and plastered!
    Was so close this time, but not to be!
    I have moved on, already keeping an eye out on radar for streamers! Feel like a junkie looking for his snow fix........

We need a true Arctic sourced northerly to get proper snow in this country, and they are in very short supply at the moment, so I guess we gotta take what is thrown at us until we get something just a bit more special.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

thought there was some falling snow in Dublin last Thursday night? just going on posts here....

No snow, maybe a few flakes in some parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Nothing but rain in Wexford town all day but took a drive West towards kiltealy about 20 minutes outside of town and there was 3-4 inches in places snowing heavily.

Did the same living in ferns no snow 10min into bunclody covers in snow took a spin up to kiltealy then aswell as you said snowing heavy young lad loved it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Locally is the keyword - I have been informed we had 5 and a half inches back home - that's the most snow there since 2010.

I wonder what the final snow depth is at Knock Airport.

It was 13 cm up to 11 am, 12 cm since then.

Click on Connaught Airport here and look at the 4**** group in the second line of each synop report. The depth is the last 2 digits of that group. The second digit is the state of snow cover (3 = even layer of wet snow, 7 = even layer of dry snow).

e.g.
    AAXX 10151 03973 42786 30204 11010 21022 39581 49836 52003 82502
    333 43012 82650 83075=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just back from attempting the Sally Gap. Measured 13 inches on a rock

It's posts like this that make me regret buying a BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ongarboy wrote: »
    I thought the entire island was covered with snow either by the late Nov/ early Dec 2010 event or else the 2 week event up to Stephens Day! What area was so unlucky not to see a flake??

New Ross and Waterford City I think. New Ross definitely didn't see any snow and the area surrounding the town. It was almost as if someone grabbed Ireland between their ginger and thumb at New Ross and then sprayed the whole country white!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

sdanseo wrote: »
    Maybe for a new thread, but GFS going for more snow on Wednesday afternoon and into Thursday morning.
    No other models playing ball, however. Yet.

78-779UK.GIF?10-6
    90-779UK.GIF?10-6

At the moment (if it came off) who would be in the firing line do you think

• Advertisement

Oh i see. I know they can be good for heavy convective snow showers, but i don't recall getting much by the way of laying snow from a polar westerly.

Yes they can, but your relatively high amounts from this event seem to be the exception rather than the rule, away from high ground that is.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

In 2009/10 the east got hammered. There was very little if any snow in the west or south. Temperatures we're low everywhere however. November brought massive snow to Dublin and a wicklow and even waterford but mid December brought more to the east with the South and west escaping the snowfall. They got a little near the end of the cold spell just after Christmas.

Today's snow is a short lived affair..always is with a North Westerly. The snow will have melted in most parts by Monday evening and certainly by Tuesday as the temperatures are set to hit 7 in the west.

Yes, there was light snow in dublin on Thursday but just a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Sally gap snow tourists at it again

In 2009/10 the east got hammered. There was very little if any snow in the west or south. Temperatures we're low everywhere however. November brought massive snow to Dublin and a wicklow and even waterford but mid December brought more to the east with the South and west escaping the snowfall. They got a little near the end of the cold spell just after Christmas.

Today's snow is a short lived affair..always is with a North Westerly. The snow will have melted in most parts by Monday evening and certainly by Tuesday as the temperatures are set to hit 7 in the west.

Yes, there was light snow in dublin on Thursday but just a dusting.

Think you're thinking of 2010/11, not 2009/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Went for a run up the Wicklow Way. Really showed (again) the impact of height. more depth, and less slushy snow 230m asl v 250+m asl.

Much more mixed now, rain sleet and snow at various points, and thaw setting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sjb25 wrote: »
    Sally gap snow tourists at it again
    There's always one, or two, or three .... What part of "impassable" do these idiots not understand? Even if it were possible for one person in a suitably equipped vehicle to cross the gap, it only takes one other car to slide into a ditch, easily done when you're forced to pass oncoming traffic and can't see the edge of the road, and you're stuck, along with everyone else coming in the other direction.

Yes they can, but your relatively high amounts from this event seem to be the exception rather than the rule, away from high ground that is.

Well, from the pictures I've seen I believe a few places in counties Mayo and Roscommon got between 8-10 cm of snow- that to me is noteworthy- assuming these places are close to sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Went for a run up the Wicklow Way. Really showed (again) the impact of height. more depth, and less slushy snow 230m asl v 250+m asl.

Much more mixed now, rain sleet and snow at various points, and thaw setting in.

That's the dangerous bit too. Everything getting very wet and slushy and then tonight when almost everywhere dips below 0 freezing over. Going to be a lot of Ice about.

Kilkenny:

ciKkhLH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Alpine Connemara:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Beautiful sunny day after the snowfall. Some thaw set in but the remaining is freezing up again as temps drop. There's a NE breeze that would cut your face, out there now.

S. Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Had a spin on the mountain bike earlier. Started in Rathfarnham in sleety rain, soon turning to hail around Rockbrook and where the snowline started.
    Headed up past Tibradden Wood towards Glencullen. Took the Wicklow way route up to Prince Williams seat and got to 400m ASL but turned back as the going got to tough. Great to get up to untouched snow.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!At-anLc2p3FznFQQtO0oFST-1vGu

https://1drv.ms/i/s!At-anLc2p3FznFD2lpC-rcyy6Eqq

https://1drv.ms/i/s!At-anLc2p3FznEVt26bcTkqRXoPm

https://1drv.ms/i/s!At-anLc2p3FznC-Timk4TGNkImKj

https://1drv.ms/i/s!At-anLc2p3FznCp5CBeW5WJTRSr4

https://1drv.ms/i/s!At-anLc2p3FznC3lcjjqYD_qJNKT

• Registered Users Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

IMG_20171210_115306_868.jpg

Over 8 inches here in the West!

Jokes on you, there was only inch and a half .

Well, from the pictures I've seen I believe a few places in counties Mayo and Roscommon got between 8-10 cm of snow- that to me is noteworthy- assuming these places are close to sea level.

Only conclusion I can come to is that it must have snowed up there in Mayo from the onset of the front, leading to greater accumulations than down here. It was pissing rain here last night when I went to bed, which probably kept snow totals down.

Estimation of the prep amount taken from radar returns:

1400_24std.gif

Notwithstanding the obviously terrible coverage of the Shannon radar, prep amounts seem fairly uniform across low land Connacht.

New Moon

Only conclusion I can come to is that it must have snowed up there in Mayo from the onset of the front, leading to greater accumulations that down here.

Estimation of the prep amount taken from radar returns:

radar?LANG=en&STRUCTUR=_&CONT=ukuk&LOOP=0&LTYP=&CREG=nir&ROAD=0&CITY=&L=0&SLP=0&W=0&LF=0&SUM=24&BIG=1
    t.

Yes. I can confirm it snowed from the outset. It was also the same story for parts of Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Fairly heavy snow northwest of Cork city atm.

Some incredible photos shared today. Some of them look like they could have been taken in the snowy Alps!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't remember any snow in March 2014..... maybe it's March 2015 you're thinking of? I had three days of snow from this polar westerly:

CFSR_1_2015030212_1.png

That was probably it Syran. Memory isn't the best! :o

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I've to drive from rural Cavan to Dublin tomorrow morning at 7am. I wonder how icy the roads are going to be ??

Advertisement