Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Skies clearing to the north now.

clearance.png

Once the temp drops, it is going to be lethal on the roads and footpaths as the snow/slush/wet ground freezes.

New Moon

I think this is easily be the best snow event since 2010 for some places in Ireland

I can recall better snowfalls than this in most Winters since 2010 from ordinary polar westerlys. Certainly locally at least.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

It underlines that a truly nationwide snow event is rare, that said with Munster now getting in on the act a lot of the country will have seen snow by this evening. I think this is easily be the best snow event since 2010 for some places in Ireland

Well, considering I got no snow in 2010, then yes, it was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looks like the front is completely disintegrating as it reaches cork. Another snow chance passes us by!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looks like the front is completely disintegrating as it reaches cork. Another snow chance passes us by!

yup. not many places can say that they didnt even see falling snow over the last 5 days. sadly we are one of them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I can recall better snowfalls than this in most Winters since 2010 from ordinary polar westerlys. Certainly locally at least.

Was Winter 2014/15 quite snowy for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Well we made it up the hill, took 6 attempts but got there.
    Newport to Castlebar road is lethal, ice on tyre tracks and slush just pulls you in if hit. Castlebar got a nice pasting, and the scenery on the way out is breathtaking.
    All mountains are covered and even Clare island is nicely topped. Blue sky's now but not much thaw, tomorrow should be interesting.
    A big thanks to MT and all the regulars here, absolutely spot on with predictions. Also thanks to all the people that uploaded pics, great to see how it affected others.

Edit: deleted previous post as image wouldn't attach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Snow at my brother's house which is at a 50m lower elevation than the highest land at home. At the highest point we're around the 7 inch mark.

24993126_10155972626840908_1513292985746428704_n.jpg?oh=bc263571e7927ef9b861657c8692cb87&oe=5A925D74

25152393_10155972626845908_3229051353247165494_n.jpg?oh=c41b6fb32d276256d8e08f6157c878bf&oe=5A925345

24899897_10155972626850908_5835819852427879285_n.jpg?oh=d184df2acd8b614e2939eee02d798782&oe=5ACFC0DF

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

yup. not many places can say that they didnt even see falling snow over the last 5 days. sadly we are one of them.....

Actualy most people in Ireland did not get snow, there was no snow for dublin nor cork

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Any chance of unexpected irish sea streamers this evening making in far enough inland? Winds would be perfect direction only -6 uppers though,I see them formed nicely now,they may peter out soon though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Locally is the keyword - I have been informed we had 5 and a half inches back home - that's the most snow there since 2010.

I wonder what the final snow depth is at Knock Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Sleet falling in Cork atm, although it’s clearing pretty quickly. That’ll be it I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clear sky overhead and the temperature feels like its dropped like a stone already

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Nothing here where I am in Carlow. Kinda disappointed because my youngest son really wanted snow.

If the latest model projections are correct, then there could be some more snow showers during the mid-week period as a cold and relatively unstable westerly air mass becomes established. Chart for Wed showing temps at 500 hPa level:

sls.png

Exposed coastal counties would be most at risk I reckon at this point.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Actualy most people in Ireland did not get snow, there was no snow for dublin nor cork
    Also Limerick so ironically the 3 largest cities got zilch

Locally is the keyword - I have been informed we had 5 and a half inches back home - that's the most snow there since 2010.

I wonder what the final snow depth is at Knock Airport.

Have no idea, but 5.5 inches seems a lot, especially considering how far north you would have been from the main front. Is your home place in a region of altitude?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Villain wrote: »

You're some man going up Lugnaquilla (what looks like on your own?) in that. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Have no idea, but 5.5 inches seems a lot, especially considering how far north you would have been from the main front. Is your home place in a region of altitude?

Yes, it is a 100 meters above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what are conditions like around the airport and its surrounding areas?

Chilly but skies clearing, opening up more with blue skies sun actually peaking through too

Very grey towards town and tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snowing in Blarney now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nothing but rain in Wexford town all day but took a drive West towards kiltealy about 20 minutes outside of town and there was 3-4 inches in places snowing heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

kod87 wrote: »
    Well, considering I got no snow in 2010, then yes, it was better.

I thought the entire island was covered with snow either by the late Nov/ early Dec 2010 event or else the 2 week event up to Stephens Day! What area was so unlucky not to see a flake??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Maybe for a new thread, but GFS going for more snow on Wednesday afternoon and into Thursday morning.
    No other models playing ball, however. Yet.

78-779UK.GIF?10-6
    90-779UK.GIF?10-6

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

If the latest model projections are correct, then there could be some more snow showers during the mid-week period as a cold and relatively unstable westerly air mass becomes established. Chart for Wed showing temps at 500 hPa level:

sls.png

Exposed coastal counties would be most at risk I reckon at this point.

God help us!! I cant take any more false dawns! Its the hope thats killing me!
    Non event here for me this time! Looking at dublin mts not far away and plastered!
    Was so close this time, but not to be!
    I have moved on, already keeping an eye out on radar for streamers! Feel like a junkie looking for his snow fix........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Contrast between the dark of Canices Cathedral and white rooftops in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

sdanseo wrote: »
    You're some man going up Lugnaquilla (what looks like on your own?) in that. Fair play!

I didn’t go to top, winds and drifts were getting tricky as I was on my own, road conditions perfect to Fenton’s. Conditions up Camarahill were tough but with right gear on it was grand.

Some buzz beyond Camara with snow drifting :D

Yes, it is a 100 meters above sea level.

I can't remember exact date (March 2014 I think) but I recall that much of the country seen a reasonable amount of snow during a polar westerly, just to give one example.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

thought there was some falling snow in Dublin last Thursday night? just going on posts here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just back from attempting the Sally Gap. Measured 13 inches on a rock

Advertisement