Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

As a McGregor fan I always felt the thing that set him apart from alot of others was his insane hunger. When he first burst on the scene and was adamant that he was coming for every featherweights head, I believed him. When you look at who he beat, it's a mad line up.

I don't know conor personally but I can't help but suspect that his hunger might have gone. What's left to achieve? He's (financially) the most successful mma fighter of all time. He's always been very vocal in staying that success to him, is the size of his bank balance.

Two world titles. First guy to ever hold two titles at once, as he predicted. Avenged the loss to diaz. It must be hard for him to now get himself up for a fight vs Ferguson. I wish it wasn't the case but that's what I reckon. If he does fight Ferguson, who is just a dog of a fighter, I wouldn't particularly fancy McGregor at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dulux99 wrote: »
    As a McGregor fan I always felt the thing that set him apart from alot of others was his insane hunger. When he first burst on the scene and was adamant that he was coming for every featherweights head, I believed him. When you look at who he beat, it's a mad line up.

I don't know conor personally but I can't help but suspect that his hunger might have gone. What's left to achieve? He's (financially) the most successful mma fighter of all time. He's always been very vocal in staying that success to him, is the size of his bank balance.

Two world titles. First guy to ever hold two titles at once, as he predicted. Avenged the loss to diaz. It must be hard for him to now get himself up for a fight vs Ferguson. I wish it wasn't the case but that's what I reckon. If he does fight Ferguson, who is just a dog of a fighter, I wouldn't particularly fancy McGregor at this point.

It’s tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you’ve been sleeping in silk pyjamas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’s tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you’ve been sleeping in silk pyjamas

It’d be tough to get out of bed at 5am if Rita Ora was lying beside you ...... just sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Except he admitted to it being true recently..

I don't think anything happened in this case, just headline grabbing is all.

Was it her? who the **** knows she was one of many names thrown out, she was on his record label and apparently she wasn't promoted so she wanted to leave there was a court case I think. She obviously likes nice clothes that are high fashion and show off her great body, she is flirty and has had many relationships people are threatened and say **** about her that's all, I see it all the time but this is going wildly off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Reports that McGregor was in another bust up with a bouncer in a nightclub haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Can we talk about McGregors MMA career or is this just a gossip column?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Autochange wrote: »

I think its safe to say that we'll be happy to talk about his MMA Career if he ever resumes it. The dude's acting the ass to keep his name in the press. You can't be surprised that we're talking about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah there is nothing else to talk about. This stuff is garbage but it's still infinitely preferable to going over the boxing crap again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

What exactly is there to discuss? There's nothing even slightly resembling any news with regards to his MMA career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Go on then.......

No ones stopping you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This didn't work on the previous page for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Must be really bothering Floyd that he dropped rounds to McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Getting back to his London trip,
    You should check out his mate AM Instagram of the strip club last night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Must be really bothering Floyd that he dropped rounds to McGregor.

It’s easy for him to look back now and think he should have just finished him straight away.
    Back then he knew that it was better to give people a bit more entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Getting back to his London trip,
    You should check out his mate AM Instagram of the strip club last night

A link would be nice

The Nal wrote: »
    A link would be nice

Looks like his instagram is Private.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Them 2 knacker lads from his last Instagram post have Instagram story videos of them an Conor in a strip club. Good entetainment. Give them s follow!

Not that interested in them. They just seem like useless entourage thinking they are rich and famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

this is a train wreck to watch, real shame. every day at this stage its something new. rumor has it dee has had enough and packed up. how long can Audie dana lorenzo john roddy artum keep watching this without someone putting their hand around his should and has a word, only going to get worse and the media will continue to enjoy his downfall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

but1er wrote: »
    this is a train wreck to watch, real shame. every day at this stage its something new. rumor has it dee has had enough and packed up. how long can Audie dana lorenzo john roddy artum keep watching this without someone putting their hand around his should and has a word, only going to get worse and the media will continue to enjoy his downfall.

Yeah enjoying himself in a strip club is a train wreck and a 400 quid speeding fine go back to bed Butler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

roddy/Kavanagh etc seem absent/distant from all the non UFC situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah enjoying himself in a strip club is a train wreck and a 400 quid speeding fine go back to bed Butler.

I agree. He's living the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Is it gossip to have a problem with the face of mixed martial arts in Ireland flaunting his friendship to known drug dealers on social media?

It wasn't all that long ago that Conor vowed to show the world what a "true martial artist looks like". This might be a long post because I've had it.

"The victim fell to the ground and Maloney repeatedly kicked him in the head as he lay semi-conscious. Murray then kicked the victim once before the group fled. Mr O’Brien woke up the next morning in hospital with a broken jaw, smashed teeth and a broken eye socket. He was badly concussed and could not remember much about the attack."

Publicizing and glorifying his friendship's to the type of coward who gets 18 months for stomping on an unconscious man's head...

That isn't what a true martial artist is about.

The Murray's have 73 convictions between them, mostly for drug dealing. The victim in that incident was no saint himself. I'm all for people changing and learning from mistakes but how many chances do they want?

Google the words "Irish MMA". 81 of the top 100 images are Conor McGregor.
    Google the words "SBG Ireland". 37 of the top 50 images are Conor McGregor.
    Google the word "MMA" (the entire sport). 33 out of 100 images are Conor McGregor.

He's the face of SBG.
    He's the face of Irish MMA.
    He's the face of MMA.

I don't think it's gossip to want the sport better represented than for the main star to be out flaunting his friendships to the type of people who ruin lives in Dublin. He can be friends with whoever he likes but when he starts promoting and normalizing these drug dealers on social media that's a different story.

On the same day Conor posted that on instagram, this was posted and RT'd by JK:

https://twitter.com/sbg_tullamore/status/938470607733383168

Respect - Conor has none for anybody right now. None for Marc Goddard, none for Andre Fili, none for the Bellator employee, none for the courts, none for his girlfriend, definitely none for his coaches otherwise he wouldn't be doing it all.

Confidence - He has tons of that but I'm more interested in how the confidence levels are of the victims of some of the Murray's crimes. Has their self-belief improved after having their eye socket smashed to bits? Maybe the anxiety levels of family and friends have dropped after being threatened to be shot over a drug debt?

Leadership skills - Freudian slip? Maybe we're talking about dealers and not leaders. Cowardice must be contagious because there hasn't been one iota of ownership from anybody associated with that gym lately. It's all shrugs of shoulders, "apologies" and couldn't give a sh1t.

It would not have been difficult to denounce the use of the word "fag*ot" by the highest profile man in Ireland. It would have been easy and a good message to send to kids. It would not have been hard to come out against assaulting people and putting hands on a ref. It would not have been hard to come out against Charlie Ward saying "Redmond is lucky to be alive", which is crass beyond belief. I'm sure Joao Carvahlo's brother has feelings but maybe he's a "snowflake" if the comments upset him.

These were easy situations to take ownership of a problem and try deal with it.

Why is it SBG's problem?

Well, there have been over 200 times in the past 2 years that the founder of SBG, Matt Thornton, has used Conor as a selling point for "the SBG way" in tweets, mentions, RT's and facebook. Another 100 if you count JK's postings. I will post every single one of them if it makes the point.

They are the ones holding Conor up as the example of what SBG and martial arts is all about.

You don't get to use him as a selling-point to try entice kids everywhere to join the SBG tribe and then ignore the fact he's out there assaulting people, hanging around with drug dealers, and acting like one himself.

Can you imagine the reaction in Canada if GSP was posting pictures tagging known scumbag drug dealers? I'm 99% certain Firas Zahabi would have a major problem with it given he has many times banned people from his gym if they get caught doing drugs, it would reflect terribly on Tristar and the Canadian media & public would have problems with it too.

The death of Carvahlo did plenty to deter participation in this country. It had to have had a negative impact. Most sane parents after that death would have been vehemently opposed to their child going into the sport. I felt like we turned a corner with the improvements in safety and with Conor capturing the lightweight title. There was a feel-good factor returning.

Now, 12 months on, the front page headlines about MMA are Conor allegedly going around with the Murray's slapping the head off other drug dealers, doing copious amounts of white stuff himself and if that wasn't bad enough he wants to flaunt it all.

Yet again, if you're a parent of a young child and interested in getting them into a sport, it's not that hard a choice right now to swerve MMA where the main star is on the front pages every other day in some new shady controversy and stick them into a more 'normal' sport.

If Conor, John or Matt Thornton are confused on what a true martial artist looks like I can definitely help with that one.

His name is Diego Sanchez.
    "Most down syndrome adults don't live past 45," Sanchez told local TV station KRQE before the bout. "Isaac is 32, and I just wanted to see this young man be healthy. Exercise and martial arts are one of the most healthy things you can do.

"He came to just come and check out the gym and I told him, 'You like MMA?' and he said, 'I love fighting', and then I said, 'Alright. Well are you here to just watch or do you want to train?' and he said, 'I want to train'.

"So, I said 'alright let's do this'. He believes it with all of his heart, so I am going to make it happen."

2v34iuc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

14murphy wrote: »
    I agree. He's living the dream.

Out every night more and more stories coming out about him in trouble with bouncers drugs women. two lads hes with are nothing but scum. his "bouncer" is well known aswell. funny how one only has an instagram page since he met conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

State of them too brothers pair of weasels.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Out every night more and more stories coming out about him in trouble with bouncers drugs women. two lads hes with are nothing but scum. his "bouncer" is well known aswell. funny how one only has an instagram page since he met conor.

You can say what you want about his contacts and about unsupported allegations of scuffles with wannabe cartel members and bouncers, that I completely agree is wrong even by association as he is such an idol/role model to many across the world.
    However if I had a 140m in the bank it would be strip clubs and LV tracksuits until my heart gave in.
    **** fighting. Why risk it. Why risk losing it all. As much as I'd love to see him get back into the cage why should he. I believe his hunger is gone also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Any links to these instagram pages

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wonder you go on as if hes gone rogue, if you knew of him pre mma champion you'd know hes been like this all along he fights in a cage for a living he didnt sign up to be any sbg role model he signed up to beat people up for bundles of money, cant say hes forgotten himself and made new celeb mates either fair play to him sticking with his old pals even if they are scrotes has good loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wonder you go on as if hes gone rogue, if you knew of him pre mma champion you'd know hes been like this all along he fights in a cage for a living he didnt sign up to be any sbg role model he signed up to beat people up for bundles of money, cant say hes forgotten himself and made new celeb mates either fair play to him sticking with his old pals even if they are scrotes has good loyalty.

Suit him better to go have bit of loyalty to his gf and new born child

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement