Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

L'Orange - The Ordinary Man

https://lorange360.bandcamp.com/album/the-ordinary-man?ct=t(L_Orange_Releases_The_Ordinary_Man10_26_2017)&mc_cid=df2c4670f5&mc_eid=7e778daaa1

I've just listened and it's beautiful, top to bottom. I need to know where he gets his Jazz samples from.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

New Big Krit album is sensational, his last few projects have been poor enough, this is some of his best work though:

What an intro!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

On first listen K.R.I.T. could be album of the year. Needs more listens though.

The Ordinary Man by L'Orange is goddam beautiful as well.
    Still have Yelawolfs new album , Meyhem Lauren/Muggs and Blu & Exile to listen to.....and more listens for the Wu.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Loving the props to Black Moon.

even as far as the single cover

500x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Which of Big KRIT's last few projects were poor enough exactly?

• Advertisement

G Herbo and Mopzzy still my stand out rap albums of 2017.

Orizio wrote: »

Very true, they've all been great
    G Herbo and Mopzzy still my stand out rap albums of 2017.

G Herbo was good, but I got really annoyed with him repeating his name so much on the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I think there was a definite drop in quality between Krits 2010-2013 material and Cadillactica/Its Better This Way, not exactly poor but disappointing compared to his earlier albums, plus neither of them have any replay value, for me at least

His new album is a different league to those 2, imo, easily his best work since King Remembered in Time

Agree to disagree. Also I thought pretty much all KRIT fans agreed that his worst LP came out in 2012 (Live from the underground)?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Eminem's new album given a release date of December 15th. Dr. Dre just posted it on Instagram.

• Advertisement

Anyone checked out the new EP from Mick Jenkins. Rather tasty so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Has he stopped banging on about the health benefits of staying hydrated yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

This is epic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not sure if I feel that it's cringey or not, but I think I kinda like it.

Has he stopped banging on about the health benefits of staying hydrated yet?

Yes.....but there were a lot of metaphors to that apparently.

Joyner Lucas is not to be slept on, his most recent album is great.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yes.....but there were a lot of metaphors to that apparently.

I've heard he's whopper live. Must catch him if he plays Dublin again.

New Chief Keef albums quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Harambe wrote: »
    Eminem's new album given a release date of December 15th. Dr. Dre just posted it on Instagram.

State of these features:

eminem-revival-tracklist-thatgrapejuice-600x750.jpg

Time to retire Em.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be calling for retirement. I think that this is going to be a smart album.

My take, Walk On Water was the track to just establish where he is. The second track is going to establish where he is going. The next one or 2 will be a taste of old Em mixed with new Em.
    Then the next single with Ed.

The following songs will be a mixed bag of angry but progressive songs.

Em is still a deadly rapper, I'm not a fan of the Trump rant, not a big fan of Walk on Water, but I think that it's a place holder on the album.
    But the dude can still out rap everyone when he wants to.

Eminem may be a good rapper but he's got no taste. Records too many adlibs and processes his voice so he's like white tupac shouting down a metal tube. Awful production choices. The formulas he's pushing now does sell like hotcakes though. Angry emo music ala what Pink does where you declare yourself the put upon underdog/voice of put upon underdogs for 20 years straight is a licence to print money.

Eminem may be a good rapper but he's got no taste. Records too many adlibs and processes his voice so he's like white tupac shouting down a metal tube. Awful production choices. The formulas he's pushing now does sell like hotcakes though. Angry emo music ala what Pink does where you declare yourself the put upon underdog/voice of put upon underdogs for 20 years straight is a licence to print money.

I do agree with this somewhat. I much prefer his delivery of old. Cheeky and he doesn't shout and scream.
    His tone of late at times can be grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

so its getting to that time
    hip hop album of the year?

peteeeed wrote: »

Which Way Iz West :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

peteeeed wrote: »

My favourite was 4:44, but DAMN and Big Fish Theory were the next best IMO.

My favourite was 4:44, but DAMN and Big Fish Theory were the next best IMO.

Yea DAMN my #2

Didn't actually get around to listening to the Jay Z album yet

Big Fish Theory
    The Ordinary Man
    4eva Is mighty Long Time
    Lailas Wisdom
    All The Beuaty In This Whole Life

I know everyone is talking about DAMN and 4:44, but I just haven't gotten into them.
    4:44 is good, but I much prefer the beats than the rapping.
    DAMN is also good, but it just doesn't have much replay value for me. There are just a few songs that I like to bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

top 5 , in order :
    saturation 2 - brockhampton
    damn - kendrick
    culture - migos
    raskit - dizzee rascal
    still striving - asap ferg

honourable mentions to :
    beautiful thugger girls - young thug
    big fish theory - vince staples
    youwillregret - ski mask the slump god
    creature - nitty scott mc
    nyck @ knight - nyck @ knight
    brainiac - mr mfn exquire

tbh its neck and neck between ferg and vince staples .
    dont know where people are going with 4:44 imo , compared to other records released this year its v bland i think, even if it is loads better than magna carta holy grail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

Advertisement