Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Rap Album Two is indeed whopper.

Kendrick has a track on Thudercat's Drunk album, which is fantastic. Think Michael McDonald edges him out for the best verse though.

Been listening to an Irish hip hop album called Saoirse for the last couple of days it's pretty class. Productions that typically apocalyptic Belfast style they have going on for the last few years and vocals are all hype shouty rukus.
    https://steve-loc.bandcamp.com/album/saoirse

New new Unscene (Limerick) cypher video is bananas.

Kendricks album out today? Hype

Anyone listen yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Kendricks album out today? Hype

Anyone listen yet?

I'm in the middle of my first listen.

My initial thoughts are I prefer it to "To pimp a butterfly" but not as good as Good kid

Hoping to give it 2 listens today to get a bit more of an informed opinion on it

b.gud wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of my first listen.

My initial thoughts are I prefer it to "To pimp a butterfly" but not as good as Good kid

Hoping to give it 2 listens today to get a bit more of an informed opinion on it

It took me about 20 times to appreciate good kidd :P
    I agree not a massive fan of Pimp a butterfly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

On first listen I'm honestly not really impressed with it bar one or two songs.

schizo1014 wrote: »
    On first listen I'm honestly not really impressed with it bar one or two songs.

Which are?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like it. Some really nice chilled tracks on it. I need a few a few more listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

All the best albums take a few listens , you can't compare it yet to albums you've listened to a hundred times , love the backing track on the opening tune

Which are?

Maybe 3 or 4 so far actually on second listen

DNA
    ELEMENT
    HUMBLE
    XXX
    DUCKWORTH

• Advertisement

Non Kendrick post

Loving this

I'll be skipping that track Love, every time. The track with U2 is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samdick33

i like rihanna

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Just listened to 'Damn'. Liked it way more than I thought I would. That DNA track is one of the best things I've heard from any genre of music the last 10 years. Thought I would hate the U2 track but that's brilliant too. Lovely balance to the record. He done it again. Will buy it again on vinyl when it comes out. Looking forward to a few more listens tonight

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll be skipping that track Love, every time. The track with U2 is pretty decent.

Why so?

buried wrote: »
    Just listened to 'Damn'. Liked it way more than I thought I would. That DNA track is one of the best things I've heard from any genre of music the last 10 years. Thought I would hate the U2 track but that's brilliant too. Lovely balance to the record. He done it again. Will buy it again on vinyl when it comes out. Looking forward to a few more listens tonight

Played it on loop in the Car, savage track

Why so?

I can't take it seriously. Whoever the singer is, they have a fantastic voice, but this leans far too heavily on the side of basic pop for me anyway.

I can't take it seriously. Whoever the singer is, they have a fantastic voice, but this leans far too heavily on the side of basic pop for me anyway.

Fair enough, was wondering why the missus had it on her phone

It's 2017 and he needs a track like that on the album, I guess.

Must agree withe Grayditch I think that type of song has no business being on a Kendrick Album. Listening away to it today and its definitely better than TPAB for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That DNA track is a monster

I definitely think DNA is one of the best songs I've heard in the last few years. The shift at the end is just brilliant

Love's not a bad song per say, it's just not for me. The album really starts to open up after a few listens.

Kinda like how I felt with The Life Of Pablo. Some directions that aren't for me, but lots and lots of great **** in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

I definitely think DNA is one of the best songs I've heard in the last few years. The shift at the end is just brilliant

Love's not a bad song per say, it's just not for me. The album really starts to open up after a few listens.

Kinda like how I felt with The Life Of Pablo. Some directions that aren't for me, but lots and lots of great **** in there.

I feel the same way. Pablo has great high points with 4-5 great tracks, few average tracks and a few very poor ones. I need more listens but DAMN gets better with every listen. The first 4 are great, especially DNA. Unfortunately I think all big hip hop albums need a few pop tracks now to be released.

P.S. that Zacari guy on LOVE sure does sound like The Weeknd

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Damn. is amazing, have listened to it 4 or 5 times now and absolutely love the majority of the songs on it.
    Love is brilliant even if it is basically pop, stand out tracks so far for me are DNA, Element, Loyalty, Pride, Lust & Fear.
    The production throughout the album is top class and Kendrick's lyrics and storytelling just can't be beaten.
    This album is definitely better than Section 80 & To Pimp A Butterfly but It's too early to say if it beats Good kid Maad City for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

the trouble with having a back catalogue as good as kendrick has is , invariably , anything he releases is immediately compared and judged against previous work rather than being enjoyed for what it is . but that's hip hop and , for me , damn is not as good as tpab and nowhere near gkmc . it's obvs brilliant but it's still tough not to feel a wee bit disappointed which is completely unfair but sure what can ya do ...

HE has blessed us with a video

Can't stop listening to it. Track is phenomenal

The switch up gets better every listen too

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

GIMME SOME GANJA!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Two albums I've mulled over the past few days

P.O.S - Chill, Dummy

I thought that this album had some great songs but terribly disjointed on my initial listen. But on focusing more on the album, my jaysus, it's amazing. Absolutely stellar.
    The evolution of P.O.S is one of my most favorite things about this record, every album he consistently evolves, but here there is a step forward in evolution and a marriage of all his earlier sounds mixed in with his recent life changes and his view of the world.
    I couldn't even pick a favorite track on this, it's just simply amazing and a bit of a sonic rollercoaster.....in a real good way.

Onry Ozzborn - Birth of Cupid
    I'm a massive fan of Onry, I think that he has an incredible voice, vision and delivery pattern that mix well with whatever beat he is on.
    What amazes me about this one is that the beats sounds similar, but are distinctively different. Also, as a bit of a lover myself, the theme of the origin of love is a wonderful concept. Again, hard to pick a favorite off this, but Birfday stood out while listening.

I'd highly recommend the 2 above albums. Next on the agenda is Kendrick. I've only heard the DNA song so far, while I like the video, I believe the album cut is slightly different so looking forward to that.

Advertisement