Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Started to catch up on Clockwork Planet last week; it's honestly really well done with a very unique approach to world building (the whole earth is built up as a big clock) with interesting characters and brilliant dialogue if you like sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Nody wrote: »
    Started to catch up on Clockwork Planet last week; it's honestly really well done with a very unique approach to world building (the whole earth is built up as a big clock) with interesting characters and brilliant dialogue if you like sarcasm.

Same author as NGNL, the tone has apparently been changed quite a bit from the LNs though. Will verify that later as I will be starting to read volume 1 now that the first 3 parts of the official release went up yesterday on http://www.j-novel.club

• Registered Users Posts: 7 timothymaxy

Star Driver and ダンジョン饭~

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Rewatching Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars) in preparation for season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Watched all of Assassination Classroom in about 2 weeks after finding out it was on Crunchyroll, really good series. Now that terrible post series lull as you shuffle along till finding something just as good.

On a sidenote, Little Witch Academia S2 (episodes 14 - 25) have gone up on Netflix for those that held off till now.

Also, new streaming site called HiDive is out, not tried it to see if its worth the sub cost but it has a lot of the series Amazon grabbed the past 2 seasons or were not easy to stream here (Princess Principal, Made in Abyss, Vatican Miracle Examiner, Grimoire of Zero, Atom the Beginning, Sakurada Reset, Sword Oratoria). It doesnt fill all the gaps in Crunchyrolls lineup but it helps. Also they are airing 3 episodes of Legend of Galactic Heroes each week, so many that its gonna run into the start of 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Also, new streaming site called HiDive is out, not tried it to see if its worth the sub cost but it has a lot of the series Amazon grabbed the past 2 seasons or were not easy to stream here (Princess Principal, Made in Abyss, Vatican Miracle Examiner, Grimoire of Zero, Atom the Beginning, Sakurada Reset, Sword Oratoria). It doesnt fill all the gaps in Crunchyrolls lineup but it helps. Also they are airing 3 episodes of Legend of Galactic Heroes each week, so many that its gonna run into the start of 2018.

They've some good series but launching a streaming service without apps or chromecast is ridiculous. I contacted support and they don't expect them to be ready until Q4 of this year. (Which I guess isn't that far away really)

megaten wrote: »
    They've some good series but launching a streaming service without apps or chromecast is ridiculous. I contacted support and they don't expect them to be ready until Q4 of this year. (Which I guess isn't that far away really)

You can watch via the PS4 browser.

Good service from Sentai with a great selection including Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Will be pretty essential going forward seeing as Sentai no longer sublicense their streams to Crunchyroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Made in Abyss is fantastic. Best Anime of the year imo. The soundtrack alone is phenomenal.

Have to say some good series streaming this season:

-Blood Blockade Battlefront S2 is just so good, love it.
    -Zodiac War, traditional "12 mercenaries battle-royale" but so far there has been so many twists I dont know who to root for and that makes it better!
    -Shokugeki no Soma S3, as a chef I watch it for the info about culinary techniques...and not the "orgasmic fan service" scenes...well, maybe 90% for the culinary info
    -Kinos Journey is great, lovely animation and great characters
    - Ancient Magus Bride, if Made in Abyss was Ghibli-esque for the likes of Ponyo, Kikis Delivery Service then this is Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle, maybe best animation and music of the season

HiDive have secured Hoozuki no Reitetsu S2 (loved the first season) and Girls Last Tour (honestly dont know what to expect but want to give it a watch) so more reasons to sign up sometime soon.

Netflix are still holding onto Fate: Apocrypa until November, but that will probably only be the first season, and have the nabbed rights for Children of the Whales (looks like a nice adventure yarn) and no word on an air date.

Have to say some good series streaming this season:

-Blood Blockade Battlefront S2 is just so good, love it.
    -Zodiac War, traditional "12 mercenaries battle-royale" but so far there has been so many twists I dont know who to root for and that makes it better!
    -Shokugeki no Soma S3, as a chef I watch it for the info about culinary techniques...and not the "orgasmic fan service" scenes...well, maybe 90% for the culinary info
    -Kinos Journey is great, lovely animation and great characters
    - Ancient Magus Bride, if Made in Abyss was Ghibli-esque for the likes of Ponyo, Kikis Delivery Service then this is Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle, maybe best animation and music of the season

HiDive have secured Hoozuki no Reitetsu S2 (loved the first season) and Girls Last Tour (honestly dont know what to expect but want to give it a watch) so more reasons to sign up sometime soon.

Netflix are still holding onto Fate: Apocrypa until November, but that will probably only be the first season, and have the nabbed rights for Children of the Whales (looks like a nice adventure yarn) and no word on an air date.

• Advertisement

I'm simply happy that Shokugeki no Soma is back and hope that the arc will run over at least two if not three seasons due to the scope of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Roughly 2 months on and I'm at episode 384 of One Piece. What a simply amazing show! Granted, I've skipped the filler episodes, but still shocked I'm this far in.

It's actually put a stop to me watching all my other shows, And has nearly taken over from my gaming, which has never happened!

For anyone wondering, I'm at the Archipelago Arc, just before the Fishman Island Arc. The end of the previous arc,
    that Tyrant lad. That is some scary power. I wonder how he'll tackle that. But I thought the same when he was up against nearly all the bosses so far!

Can't wait to see how the rest of it goes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Roughly 2 months on and I'm at episode 384 of One Piece. What a simply amazing show! Granted, I've skipped the filler episodes, but still shocked I'm this far in.

It's actually put a stop to me watching all my other shows, And has nearly taken over from my gaming, which has never happened!

For anyone wondering, I'm at the Archipelago Arc, just before the Fishman Island Arc. The end of the previous arc,
    that Tyrant lad. That is some scary power. I wonder how he'll tackle that. But I thought the same when he was up against nearly all the bosses so far!

Can't wait to see how the rest of it goes!

Fair play, was thinking of giving one piece a go myself as I love the games, what episode are they up too now ? are you watching subbed or dubbed?

Fair play, was thinking of giving one piece a go myself as I love the games, what episode are they up too now ? are you watching subbed or dubbed?

This weeks episode will be 815 in Japanese, the English dub is 4-5 episodes behind but still has a gap in the middle before it started being simuldubbed.
    If you have a vpn or dns service you can stream it all from Crunchyroll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

I'm watching a lot of animes:

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond
    Mahou Tsukai no Yome
    Inuyashiki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Haikyuuu
    Shokugeki No Soma
    Nanatsu No Taizai

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Manora

Daughter of Twenty Faces, Black Lagoon, Downloading Baccano this week for watching at the weekend, Casshern Sins and starting Shakugan no Shana this week too.

Also thinking of watching Fate Stay Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I am watching INUYASHIKI, FOOD WARS! THE THIRD PLATE, KING’S GAME, RECOVERY OF AN MMO JUNKIE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Not sure if this is 100% relevant to the topic but while looking for something to watch I found a load of old anime on a hard drive (all really awful low res quality) with no idea how I got them and I was wondering if any of these stood out to anyone here as being "Must Watch" or "Absolutely Avoid", to aid the selection process:
    • Air
    • Avenger
    • Beck
    • Dokuro-chan
    • Dominion Tank Police
    • Gatekeepers 21
    • Genshiken
    • Gilgamesh
    • Hundred Stories
    • Iria
    • Jungle Guu
    • Now and Then, Here and There
    • Onegai Teacher
    • Patlabor OVA
    • Rurouni Kenshin OVA
    • Scrapped Princess
    • Seitokai no Ichizon

Not to give the appearance of laziness, but I googled every single one of these anime, and they universally got one of two scores: 3.5 stars out of 5 OR 4 stars out of 5. >_<

Not sure if this is 100% relevant to the topic but while looking for something to watch I found a load of old anime on a hard drive (all really awful low res quality) with no idea how I got them and I was wondering if any of these stood out to anyone here as being "Must Watch" or "Absolutely Avoid", to aid the selection process:
    • Air
    • Avenger
    • Beck good
    • Dokuro-chan meh
    • Dominion Tank Police good
    • Gatekeepers 21
    • Genshiken must watch
    • Gilgamesh
    • Hundred Stories
    • Iria
    • Jungle Guu
    • Now and Then, Here and There must watch(bring tissues)
    • Onegai Teacher
    • Patlabor OVA must watch
    • Rurouni Kenshin OVA not great, tone off from rest of series
    • Scrapped Princess great series, same author as Chaika and Outbreak Company
    • Seitokai no Ichizon

Not to give the appearance of laziness, but I googled every single one of these anime, and they universally got one of two scores: 3.5 stars out of 5 OR 4 stars out of 5. >_<

Haven't watched any of the others.

• Advertisement

Haven't watched any of the others.

Cool thanks, I haven't heard of Chaika and Outbreak Company, but it sounds like you're recommending them as well?

Cool thanks, I haven't heard of Chaika and Outbreak Company, but it sounds like you're recommending them as well?

Depends what you're into. Chaika is a bit of a dark fantasy and Outbreak Company is an isekai moefest. Both can be streamed for free on Crunchyroll(dns or vpn workaround required for Outbreak as its US/Ca only).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Never seen Genshiken but if its as good as the manga its adapted from its absolutely worth watching.

megaten wrote: »
    Never seen Genshiken but if its as good as the manga its adapted from its absolutely worth watching.

It is, and its sequel anime Genshiken 2. The sequel manga Genshiken Second Season on the otherhand...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Started bleach again, I remember I was watching it on sky back in 2014/15 but couldn't get into it, I'm loving it so far anyway.

Started bleach again, I remember I was watching it on sky back in 2014/15 but couldn't get into it, I'm loving it so far anyway.

Don't bother after episode 64, goes downhill fast after the Soul Society arc. Even the manga declined sharply afterwards.

Don't bother after episode 64, goes downhill fast after the Soul Society arc. Even the manga declined sharply afterwards.

I gave up on bleach immediately after the soul society arc, because the next set of villains reeked of filler character design.

Word on the street is that the authour was dragging out the story for ages, so the manga became very unpopular saleswise, as a result the publishers cancelled it and he had to write/draw a rushed ending that left everyone unsatisfied.

I feel like the only "It goes on basically forever" anime I can recommend in good conscience is One Piece. Even the filler in that show is pretty good.

I gave up on bleach immediately after the soul society arc, because the next set of villains reeked of filler character design.

Word on the street is that the authour was dragging out the story for ages, so the manga became very unpopular saleswise, as a result the publishers cancelled it and he had to write/draw a rushed ending that left everyone unsatisfied.

Pretty much.

Was surprised too see the manga only ended in 2016, that's some run!

• Advertisement

Was surprised too see the manga only ended in 2016, that's some run!

Yeah, don't know how it lasted so long. Should have ended when
    Aizen
    was defeated.

Advertisement