Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

The slightly cyberpunk art style of this anime caught my eye as I was flicking through Crunchyroll at potential series to start watching.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/megalobox

I'm not into boxing anime, but this first episode has got me hooked. Good music and I really like the art style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

That actually caught my eye yesterday too looking forward to giving it a go tonight, I like having something weekly to follow for a change. Just finishing The ancient magus bride at the moment and rewatching FLCL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Not really a big sports anime fan, but have heard a lot of buzz around Megalobox. Maybe if this damn season would give me 5 seconds free time, so much good stuff appearing.

A few hidden gems are:

Hinamatsuri (http://www.crunchyroll.com/hinamatsuri) - psychic girl appears in a yakuza lieutenants house, kinda odd-cuple ish. Pretty funny for a single episode, people say the manga is very funny
    Magical Girl Ore (http://www.crunchyroll.com/magical-girl-ore) - young girl wished to protect the boy she likes, so makes a magic girl contract....but turns into a huge buff guy in a dress. Pretty funny parody of MG anime

Add that onto ongoing and big named shows like My Hero Academia Season 3, Food Wars S3, Persona 5 Anime, a new SAO (that has little connection to the original...so maybe good), its pretty cramped.

Also, new Full Metal Panic! Been waiting over a decade for more Mithril action!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished Season 1 of My Hero Academia on Funimation.
    Watched the first 2 episodes of Devilman Crybaby on Netflix. Not a fan of the art style. Reminds me of Tekkonkinkreet, which I got used to but wasn't a fan of art wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Hooked on My Hero Academia at the moment,flew through season 1 in about 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Started watching Dorei-ku The Animation; interesting concept so far but will see how it develops along with Black Clover, Caligula and Sword Art Online Alternative - Gun Gale Online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Added as of today Grancrest Senki to the list and I've dropped Calugia and Doreu-ku as I simply did not care enough to continue to follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

This seasons stuff: Franxx, Space Battleship Tiramisu, Gun Gale Online, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, My Hero Academia, Steins Gate 0, Comic Girls, Crossing Time, and Hinamatsuri. I'm going through Fate Zero too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 upsydaisy66

Megalo Box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Watched the first episode of Hanebado and it seem really promising. Really great OP too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

finished watching Doreiku

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

CastielJ wrote: »
    finished watching Doreiku

Likewise.

Am disappointed - a great idea but they wasted it with a meandering plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sophia S.

If any of you youngsters have never heard of it, you should really check out Akira, it's one of the first truly epic anime films circa 1988. www.imdb.com/title/tt0094625/
    I think it was the first anime I ever watched, and I've been hooked ever since... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sophia S.

Oops, double posted

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Sophia S. wrote: »
    If any of you youngsters have never heard of it, you should really check out Akira, it's one of the first truly epic anime films circa 1988. www.imdb.com/title/tt0094625/
    I think it was the first anime I ever watched, and I've been hooked ever since... :D

They showed that at the Lighthouse a while ago. Magic, seeing it on the big screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ascendant wrote: »
    They showed that at the Lighthouse a while ago. Magic, seeing it on the big screen...

That was part of the Sci Fi film fest a few weeks ago. They recently showed the Cowboy Bebop movie too, another classic.

finished 2 seasons of Swordgai on Netflix...pretty much feel I just wasted 2weeks of my life. Its a poorly delivered show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Just finished watching Shigurui AKA Death Frenzy, brutal samurai/horror anime 12 episodes in length, excellent but not for the faint of heart, it's on youtube.

A few recommendations:

Death Note - psychological thriller/fantasy
    Code Geass - robot action with fantasy and political intrigue
    Stein's Gate - scifi time travel, watch the first season forget the rest
    Tatami Galaxy - bizarre fast-paced comedy with unique art style
    Ping Pong - sports drama
    Cowboy Bebop - classic space opera
    Samurai Champloo - hip hop samurai
    Knights of Sidonia - scifi, very watchable
    One Punch Man - hilarious
    Mob Psycho 100 - same creator of above, equally hilarious with added depth
    Psycho-Pass - scifi cop drama, stick with the first season

Currently watching Durarara and it's decent.

Well with a new season starting up the once I've got so far to continue to watch are:
    • Goblin Slayer - Surprisingly dark in a good way
    • Karakuri Circus - Love the concept of it
    • Sword Art Online - Alicization
    • Tensei ****ara Slime Datta Ken - Honestly hilarious and strongly recommended
    • Ulysses - Jeanne d'Arc to Renkin no Kishi
    • Zombieland Saga - A really great take on the Zombie trope going in a new direction
    Hope I might find one or two more to add to the list but looks unlikely atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Nody wrote: »
    Well with a new season starting up the once I've got so far to continue to watch are:
    • Goblin Slayer - Surprisingly dark in a good way
    • Karakuri Circus - Love the concept of it
    • Sword Art Online - Alicization
    • Tensei ****ara Slime Datta Ken - Honestly hilarious and strongly recommended
    • Ulysses - Jeanne d'Arc to Renkin no Kishi
    • Zombieland Saga - A really great take on the Zombie trope going in a new direction
    Hope I might find one or two more to add to the list but looks unlikely atm.

• Advertisement

I'm watching all of those except Karakuri Circus as well as Run with the Wind, Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-San, and the second season of Space Battleship Tiramasu. And some absolute trash I don't want to admit to.

watched the first episode of Slime and goblin slayer the other day...

Reincarnated as slime is bonkers so far,will watch another episode to make up my mind on it

Goblin slayer had one or two uncomfortable scenes :eek: but not a bad 1st episode

Cotts72 wrote: »
    watched the first episode of Slime and goblin slayer the other day...

Reincarnated as slime is bonkers so far,will watch another episode to make up my mind on it
    It only gets better :P
    Goblin slayer had one or two uncomfortable scenes :eek: but not a bad 1st episode
    Second episode while not as visual in the scenes goes darker still...

And I just noticed the Seven Deadly Sins season 3 is up on Netflix; time to kick back and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Actually quite a few shows I'm watching this season, though will prob drop one or two.

Double Decker
    Reincarnated as a Slime
    Golden Kamuy S2
    Run with the Wind
    Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (bizarre name, great show so far)
    Zombie Land Saga
    Ms Vampire who lives in my neighborhood (prob drop)
    Goblin Slayer
    SSSS. Gridman (based on old Japanese tokusatsu show that got brought over here in the 90's, Super Samurai Syber Squad...but sprinkled with Trigger magic!)
    Fairy Tail (yeah I know its not well liked but I do, kinda derivative shonen but the music is always amazing)
    Skull-face Bookseller (only watched 1 epi, could be quite funny)
    Space Battleship Tiramisu (funny and short, only 6 min an episode)

Also 3 shows on Amazon (Iroduku, Karakuri Circus, Boarding School Juliet) which people have said might be good, but no way am paying full price for their cut-rate service. And HiDive have Release the Spyce and The Girl in Twilight which might be good.
    Nody wrote: »
    And I just noticed the Seven Deadly Sins season 3 is up on Netflix; time to kick back and enjoy.

Yeah, 24 episodes up.....been waiting ages to watch these as love TSDS!

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah, 24 episodes up.....been waiting ages to watch these as love TSDS!
    That was glorious; don't end on a cliff hanger but has a clear story arc for season 4 and gives a lot of background information (some which is still a question mark to be resolved).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've spent the last few months starting and getting up to date with:

Fairy Tail
    Seven Deadly Sins
    Black Clover
    My Hero Academia

I'm up to date with One Piece and I just started Bleach a few weeks ago. I'm up to around episode 80, and I just saw the trailer for the live action adaptation. Anyone watched it? What in the anime does it cover? Where I am in the anime is
    the Bounts

I tried to start Naruto from the beginning, but Bleach was more interesting in the first few episodes so I went with that instead.

Also binged on Assassination Classroom. That was amazing!

Anyone watched it? What in the anime does it cover? Where I am in the anime is
    the Bounts
    It goes up to
    Ichigo vs Renji and Byakuya

Slime gets better every week. The part in this weeks episode where Rimuru showed someone some of his memories was really nice.

Evade wrote: »
    Slime gets better every week. The part in this weeks episode where Rimuru showed someone some of his memories was really nice.

Slime and goblin slayer are both pretty good so far, anything else in a similar vein from autumn releases worth checking out?

• Advertisement

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Slime and goblin slayer are both pretty good so far, anything else in a similar vein from autumn releases worth checking out?
    The only similar kind of thing I'm watching this season is Sword Art Online: Alicization and it's painfully slow so far.

Advertisement